Let's compare DLC: January 2008 vs. January 2009

AxlitisAxlitis Opening Act
edited January 2009 in Rock Band
We now have the opportunity to do this, well actually, we had the chance to compare November 07 to November 08, and December 07 to December 08 -- but let's start off with a new year. I'm gonna list all the DLC released in both months from two different years. Maybe there's a pattern, probably not though. Let's see:

January 2008:

Week 1: Lynyrd Skynyrd ["Gimme Three Steps"], Rush cover ["Limelight"], Black Crowes cover ["Hard to Handle"]
Week 2: Stone Temple Pilots ["Interstate Love Song"], The Hives ["Die, All Right!"], Iron Maiden cover ["The Number of the Beast"]
Week 3: Blink-182 ["All the Small Things"], Sweet cover ["Action"], The Monkees cover ["Last Train to Clarksville"]
Week 4: Oasis Pack 01 ["Wonderwall", "Don't Look Back in Anger", "Live Forever"]
Week 5: Smashing Pumpkins ["Siva"], Rush cover ["Working Man"], Coheed and Cambria cover ["Ten Speed (Of God's Blood and Burial)"]

TOTAL TRACKS: 15

January 2009:

Week 1: Roy Orbison Pack 01 ["In Dreams", "Oh, Pretty Woman", "Claudette", "Ooby Dooby", "Mean Woman Blues", "You Got It"]
Week 2: Lenny Kravitz Pack 01 ["Are You Gonna Go My Way", "Mr. Cab Driver", "Freedom Train", "Let Love Rule"], Megasus ["Megasus"], Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives ["Entangled"]
Week 3: Steve Miller Band Pack 01 ["Space Cowboy", "The Joker", "Take the Money and Run"], Godsmack ["I Stand Alone"], Belly ["Feed the Tree"], Rob Zombie ["War Zone"], Mute Math ["Typical"], Ghost Hounds ["Wind Me Up"]
Week 4: Grateful Dead Pack 02 ["Cold Rain and Snow", "Doin' That Rag", "Uncle John's Band", "Fire on the Mountain", "Don't Ease Me In", "Hell in a Bucket"]

TOTAL TRACKS: 26

Okay, imo, January 2008 was the superior in this battle. It had mastered STP, Pumpkins, Blink, Oasis, and Skynyrd -- which all ruled. I remembered coming on this board when HMXSean announced the DLC for the second week in January 08 with STP, Hives, and Maiden. Amazing week.

January 2009 has some great packs. I for one LOVED the Orbison and Steve Miller Band packs. The Kravitz pack didn't feel like a waste at all. "Are You Gonna Go My Way" is quite fun. The singles from 08 were better than the singles for 09. The Grateful Dead Pack 2 is gonna bring this month up a little more for me. Their first pack was boatloads of fun. Also, "Typical" and "Feed the Tree" were satisfying tracks I hadn't ever heard. Unique tracks.

What do you guys think? What was the better month? And should I do this every month?

Comments

• OrdealByFireOrdealByFire Banned
    edited January 2009
    08: 7/10
    09: 8/10

Steve Miller FTW but Grateful Dead? Ewe.

Btw, week 3 of 09 is probably the best weak of any January DLC

And yes, do this next month or I will..

Edit: WTF was I thinking? I counted and there are more songs I like this January than last year. Definitely 09.
  • MaGna720MaGna720 Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Do it every month, but shouldn't you do it after all the dlc has been released?

2009 wins imo (even with the GD)
  • edited January 2009
    The Skynyrd song in January was Gimme Three Steps. Simple Man came later.

January 2009 is the stronger month for me, even though that last week of January 2008 remains one of my favorite DLC weeks ever. Amusingly enough, both months contained a pack from an artist I really dislike, and there aren't many of those (Oasis and Kravitz, for those who were wondering).
  • FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited January 2009
    2009 clearly wins in my book.

While I got a few songs from the 2008 list, I'm getting A LOT of the 2009 list.
  • gunner07gunner07 Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Very close. This month was not a bad one at all. Last year was just as good, as well, and those songs still get played by me regularly. I'd have to go with last year, but not by much.
  • Ferocious QFerocious Q Headliner
    edited January 2009
    OrdealByFire;1866882 said:
    08: 7/10
    09: 8/10

Steve Miller FTW but Grateful Dead? Ewe.

Btw, week 3 of 09 is probably the best weak of any January DLC

And yes, do this next month or I will..

Edit: WTF was I thinking? I counted and there are more songs I like this January than last year. Definitely 09.
    my thoughts exactly
    edited January 2009
    IMO you should add Nov07-Nov08 and Dec07-Dec08 right now. I won't complain.
  • Ferocious QFerocious Q Headliner
    edited January 2009
    last Jan, Orbison and Grateful Dead aren't my likings... and I only Dl'd 2 songs from SM and 1 song from LK
  • JankeeJankee Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    over 50 tracks vs 0 - Yea 2009
    edited January 2009
    Btw as you do these threads have a counter. ( For instance, say whether year 1 or 2 got more votes
  • AxlitisAxlitis Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Ooh, completely forgot "Simple Man" was released in the Classic Rock Pack in April with Blondie and The Police. Thanks for reminding me guys.

I'm gonna have to go with 08 on this one. STP is one of my favorite bands, that Pumpkins song "Siva" is so underrated, it's hideous, Oasis Pack was perfect, the covers that month weren't that bad, apart from "The Number of the Beast."
  • Bosco32Bosco32 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    '09 wins in a walk for me, which is saying a lot (Jan '08 was great). Orbison and Miller were completely awesome, the Kravitz pack was fun, GD 01 remains one of the best guitar packs for me so the follow up is welcome, and the singles that I bought were terrific.
  • SquaretrianglesSquaretriangles Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    2009 kicks 2008's ass just because of The Dead.
    edited January 2009
    08 definitely had some good songs, including the #1 most downloaded pay-for song All The Small things, and the great Oasis pack, but 09 just had more masters and bigger names. I think Typical by Mute Math and I Stand Alone are MUST downloads for expert drummers.
  • Tom ImpTom Imp Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Both were good, but I had to give the slight edge to 2008 simply because I bought more in January 2008 (10) vs January 2009 (8).
    Oh, and yes I am counting next weeks already as I don't plan on buying any of the Dead.
  • eke826seke826s Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    For me they're pretty much equal. Going off of how many I downloaded...

2008 - 9/15
    2009 - 15/26

I guess you could maybe give the edge to 2009 since the shear number was more.
    edited January 2009
    Also, while I got all the DLC in 08 and only 8 songs in 09, 09 still is better because I just used to buy all DLC back then
  • Mr_eXMr_eX Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Axlitis;1866866 said:

January 2008:

Week 1: Lynyrd Skynyrd ["Gimme Three Steps"], Rush cover, Black Crowes cover
    Week 2: Stone Temple Pilots ["Interstate Love Song"], The Hives ["Die, All Right!"], Iron Maiden cover
    Week 3: Blink-182 ["All the Small Things"], Sweet cover, The Monkees cover
    Week 4: Oasis Pack 01
    Week 5: Smashing Pumpkins ["Siva"], Rush cover, Coheed and Cambria cover

January 2009:

Week 1: Roy Orbison Pack 01
    Week 2: Lenny Kravitz Pack 01, Megasus ["Megasus"], Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives ["Entangled"]
    Week 3: Steve Miller Band Pack 01, Godsmack ["I Stand Alone"], Belly ["Feed the Tree"], Rob Zombie ["War Zone"], Mute Math ["Typical"], Ghost Hounds ["Wind Me Up"]
    Week 4: Grateful Dead Pack 02
    For me, January 2008 wins by the numbers. It helps that I'm a TSP fanboy.

Looking forward to more Grateful Dead songs, but playing songs like "Pretty Woman" that I've heard on the radio 20,000 times doesn't interest me at all.
  • DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    2009. Steve Miller Band and Roy Orbison makes it so.

Definitely do this next month also.
  • metalhead27metalhead27 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I think 2009 is going to have the advantage most months because Harmonix is able to release a larger amount of songs compared to a year ago. 08 is held down by relying on too many covers, but it's closer than I would of thought. Still 09 is the clear winner.
  • harbingerofdoomharbingerofdoom Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    they came out even in my book.
  • rab39rab39 Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    2009 due to quantity (26-15 is almost a two touchdown loss) and because they were all masters, but Siva is one of my favorite songs in the game to play on any instrument and I love Don't Look Back In Anger by Oasis. At the same time, Space Cowboy is a blast on drums, Take the Money and Run, The Joker and You got It fun to sing, and In Dreams might just be my favorite song in the game to sing (it is for now).

If you're going to do this every week then take the time to list all the songs and don't screw up by putting the wrong one. Also providing the count would be helpful plus a note that says something about it almost being unfair since Jan 2008 had five tracks. Good idea, extremely poor execution.

Also, I can't judge the Grateful Dead songs at all, since they haven't been released. The first pack's China Cat Sunflower is one of my favorite overall tracks and I never would have guessed that before I played it. If the race was a close one I wouldn't vote but since I think 2009 is already better without even including the GD week I did.
  • AxlitisAxlitis Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    rab39;1867245 said:

If you're going to do this every week then take the time to list all the songs and don't screw up by putting the wrong one. Also providing the count would be helpful plus a note that says something about it almost being unfair since Jan 2008 had five tracks. Good idea, extremely poor execution.
    Extremely poor execution? Well, way to be a dick about it. I thought it was decent execution, with one error that has since been fixed. But, I'll take your advice and list all the songs, seems more professional. However, you said make a note that it's almost unfair because Jan. 2008 had five tracks?! What? January 2008 had 15 tracks with 5 weeks. Did you mean 5 weeks and January 2009 only has 4 weeks?
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    08 had some amazing songs(interstate love song especially), but 09 had just a little more. Very close though. January appears to be the month for great dlc.:)
  • Fuelie79Fuelie79 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    "Interstate Love Song" blows all of 2009 out of the water IMO, so I'm gonna go with 2008. I go for quality over quantity.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    09 is the best, I've been waiting for those Dead tracks for a while. Miller and Orbison are awesome as well.
  • rogue23rogue23 Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    None of the bands in Jan. 08 or 09 are on my favorites list, but I'd definitely have to pick the DLC from 1/09 as the better selection.
  • FennzFennz Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Jan. 09

Even though I bought more dlc in jan 08, jan 09 is still better
  • moneypmoneyp Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I'm going with '09. Orbison was terrific, I like the Dead, and last week's potpourri was really nice. Not a Steve Miller fan in particular, but two of the songs were fun on drums.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    January 09 I still need to buy all the great DLC from this month :)