British musical history?

My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
edited January 2009 in History of Rock
Earlier there was a thread about how British artists were the most influential and important to music. The OP cited Zeppelin, The Who, The Beatles, Deep Purple and any of the other 10 stereotypes.

Everyone proceeded to list numerous American musicians that were influential throughout history, and that brought me to a realization that America is a LOT more awesome for music than I thought. And then I thought of modern British music versus modern American music.

There are very few musicians from the 80's or newer that I would consider widely influential with any sort of impact in the world of music.

I know the 80's brought us Maiden and Priest, but apart from that I'm at a loss for bands.

I know I'm forgetting about a billion, but my mind is blanking out and I can't think of any.

So who are some big-time British artists who were successful in the 80's or onward that aren't named Judas Priest or Iron Maiden?

Comments

• LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Big time popular? Well in the latter decades of the twentieth century, America basically dominated the musical market, but the Brits (and, more importantly, the rest of Europe) were responsible for music that was innovative and important, if not popular.

Popular music that was important in the 1990s, The Shamen. Without them, electronic music would not be the same.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Oasis, Radiohead, Gorillaz, etc...

Technically Priest was early 70's (They formed in the late 60's) and Maiden late 70's (formed in 75ish). But yeah Maiden's success was definately mainly in the 80s.
    edited January 2009
    Onslaught_fei;1870278 said:
    Oasis, Radiohead, Gorillaz, etc...

Technically Priest was early 70's and Maiden late 70's.
    I was going to say that.

Also, New Order? The Happy Mondays?
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Joy Division (debatable), The Cure, Blur, Pulp, Elvis Costello, Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Stone Roses, The Smiths, Venom, Genesis, XTC, Joe Jackson, The Damned (debatable), The Jam (also debatable), and Echo & The Bunnymen were the artists that immediately came to mind.

Most of these bands had their greatest success(es) in the 80s or 90s.
    edited January 2009
    Runesmith;1870320 said:
    Joy Division (debatable), The Cure, Blur, Pulp, Elvis Costello, Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Stone Roses, The Smiths, Venom, Genesis, XTC, Joe Jackson, The Damned (debatable), The Jam (also debatable), and Echo & The Bunnymen were the artists that immediately came to mind.

Most of these bands had their greatest success(es) in the 80s or 90s.
    Joy Division split in 1980, so I wasn't sure they counted.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1870351 said:
    Joy Division split in 1980, so I wasn't sure they counted.
    Me too, but I included them regardless. :D New Order could be substituted if Joy Division isn't "80s enough".

And, an addendum to my previous post: I feel neglectful for forgetting to mention The Police, Depeche Mode, Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, The Specials, The English Beat, My Bloody Valentine (debatable considering Kevin is Irish), and Lush.
    edited January 2009
    Runesmith;1870367 said:
    Me too, but I included them regardless. :D New Order could be substituted if Joy Division isn't "80s enough".

And, an addendum to my previous post: I feel neglectful for forgetting to mention The Police, Depeche Mode, Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, The Specials, The English Beat, My Bloody Valentine (debatable considering Kevin is Scottish), and Lush.
    My Bloody Valentine are an alternative rock band formed in Dublin, Ireland in 1984 and predominantly based in London.

OOOOO NOW THAT'S HARD TO CHOOSE THERE.
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1870206 said:
    Big time popular? Well in the latter decades of the twentieth century, America basically dominated the musical market, but the Brits (and, more importantly, the rest of Europe) were responsible for music that was innovative and important, if not popular.

Popular music that was important in the 1990s, The Shamen. Without them, electronic music would not be the same.
    I knew that Britain pretty much gave music a great start, I just couldn't think of a whole lot of others.

Thanks for the heads up on all the mentions, everyone, gives me a better idea where the whole thing stands by far.

And as far as the Maiden/Priest thing goes: I am a lot more familiar with Maiden than Priest, which should now be obvious. But yeah, I kind of equate the two in my mind, so I sort of assumed the timeframes were similar, and I said the 80's because that's when Maiden was relevant. I had no idea just how old Judas Priest actually is XD
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1870370 said:
    My Bloody Valentine are an alternative rock band formed in Dublin, Ireland in 1984 and predominantly based in London.

OOOOO NOW THAT'S HARD TO CHOOSE THERE.
    Just say they're Dutch, like Van Halen. :)
    edited January 2009
    Soror_YZBL;1871727 said:
    Just say they're Dutch, like Van Halen. :)
    Hmmmm... tempting, but then again King Billy was Dutch, and the House of Orange is from there, so that wouldn't please a lot of people...