Have You Ever LIstened to Any Audio Commentary on DVDs?

LankanLatinoLankanLatino Road Warrior
edited January 2009 in Less Rokk More Talk
movies or tv dvds?
i know, its an extremely nerdy thing to do, but i have all the futurama TV DVD's and have watched each episode once then again with audio commentary
i tried watching tropic thunder with audio commentary but wasnt too interested

name yours..or call me a nerd, whichever you please :D

Comments

• sweet-t310sweet-t310 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Absolutely. All the time.

But only for Director's I really like (Fincher, Tarantino, Nolan, Mann).

Still say the Fight Club commentary with Fincher, Norton, Pitt, and Bonham-Carter is the best commentary I've ever heard.

..although Michael Mann's "Heat" and "Collateral" tracks are up there with it.
  • edited January 2009
    The DVD commentary on This Is Spinal Tap is absolutely amazing. All the actors do the commentary IN CHARACTER!

Its like watching Spinal Tap 2.
    sweet-t310;1876463 said:
    Still say the Fight Club commentary with Fincher, Norton, Pitt, and Bonham-Carter is the best commentary I've ever heard.
    Agreed.
  • Baanu_RassBaanu_Rass Headliner
    edited January 2009
    I only do it on movies I really like. Star Wars is a ton of fun to listen to.

My brother loves to listen to Futurama just because they will pause the show if they have too much to talk about.

The best ones are where they talk about how they overcame technical limitations.
  • RainbowMistRainbowMist Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    All of Futurama, Most of Stargate SG-1, both the actor's and directors commentary on the LotR trilogy.

Also most by Joss Whedon, but Commentary! the Musical, on Dr. Horrible was the best thing ever.

I know there's more, but I can't think of them right now, usually it's on TV shows though, because they're shorter.
  • MrHartgraveMrHartgrave Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I usually like the Documentary commentaries the best...it's like watching a whole new movie..."Beyond the Mat" has a great one..."Cannibal the musical" has a awesome drunken commentary...Nick Nolte does a very strange rant on "Mother Night"....Tim Burton makes the WORST most BORING commentaries EVER...."Full Metal Jacket" had a nice one...but it was screwed up cus they have like 6 people talking but not in the same room and it's all cut to ****...I hate it when they do that...ANY commentary with Jeff Goldblum is AWESOME, even if it's on a **** movie...:)
  • BonezBonez Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    The only commentary I've ever tried to watch all of was Scrubs. Their commentary is usually worth a few laughs, especially if Zach Braff and Donald Faison are on one together. Season six has commentary for every episode, but I haven't gotten around to listening to all of it (mostly because my DVD player is broken).
  • LankanLatinoLankanLatino Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    i'd love to hear scrubs commentary but i havent bought ANY of the seasons..one day when i have more money and spend less on dlc :D
  • Demyx-XIIIDemyx-XIII Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I listened to the entire commentary for the Lord of the Rings, cuz I'm such a huge fan. It was epic, literally!
  • Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Yes...on all the Red Vs. Blue DVDs. It was so funny that it was definatly worth listening to!
  • edited January 2009
    Demyx-XIII;1876821 said:
    I listened to the entire commentary for the Lord of the Rings, cuz I'm such a huge fan. It was epic, literally!
    I think I've watched the actor commentary track on Two Towers more than I've actually watched Two Towers. I love it.

Also, I cannot recommend any of the Kurt Russell / John Carpenter commentary tracks enough, especially Big Trouble in Little China. They talk about the movie for maybe the first ten minutes then they spent the next hour and a half talking about baseball, their families, favorite restaurants... they have such a solid rapport that it's more like eavesdropping on a private conversation between old friends than a movie commentary.
  • bse523bse523 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Family Guy has some decent commentaries.
  • Demyx-XIIIDemyx-XIII Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    HMXHenry;1876843 said:
    I think I've watched the actor commentary track on Two Towers more than I've actually watched Two Towers. I love it.
    I watched the actor's commentaries, too. I also watched some director/writers commentaries.
  • BonezBonez Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Sargehalo51;1876833 said:
    Yes...on all the Red Vs. Blue DVDs. It was so funny that it was definatly worth listening to!
    I didn't know that had commentary! I bought my brother the box set for his birthday...I am so totally borrowing that!
  • logicalnoiselogicalnoise Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    yep, it's a great way to experience your DVDs again. My fav commentaries are:
    any kevin smith ones
    Any of the rare tarantino ones(he doesn't do commentaries for his own films).
    Trey parker and matt stone doing a drunken commentary for "cannibal: the musical" The orgazmo one was pretty cool too.
    Sunshine had a great commentary by Danny boyle.
    Dr. Horrible's singalong blog: the musical commentary" was great.
    But yeah most of the time it's just cool to hear the charecters/director speak their mind in teh context of the movie.
  • logicalnoiselogicalnoise Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Demyx-XIII;1876883 said:
    I watched the actor's commentaries, too. I also watched some director/writers commentaries.

after I got all 3 extended sets of the LOTR trilogy. I watched them all the way through 3 times(on differnet nights, though my friends and I did one run trhough on a sunday once). I get a kick out of teh director commentaries because I'm going into film editing and ma going to use that as an achor to make my own flicks. Watching commentaries is like getting free advise(....for the price of a DVD).
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited January 2009
    No. I rarely watch the bonus features or deleted scenes either.
  • Banky71Banky71 Banned on the Run (Live)
    edited January 2009
    My favorite of all time was Road House commentary with Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier. One of the funnuest of all time. I also like commentary with Bruce Campbell. Also Wet Hot American Summer has a track with the cast and crew making fart noises the whole time. Can't say I recommend it but I accidentaly watched the movie for the first time like this and didn't realize it was commentary.
  • EdHaagEdHaag Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    The absolute worst commentary track I've ever heard is the one for Spaceballs.

The enitre thing (or at least, the 25 minutes of it that I watched before turning it off in disgust) was comprised of Mel Brooks saying, "And this scene was acted/shot/special effected/gofered by *insert name of person you don't care about here*. He/She's a great guy/gal."

Over. And over. And over.
  • edited January 2009
    I only watch the ones that I have to subtitle, to be honest.

They're not all equally interesting (especially producers rarely have anything to say that's worth mentioning), but some of them are quite good.

One that sticks out for me is the commentary for the Rocker, because Rock Band and Harmonix got quite a few positive shout-outs from the director and Rainn on that one. The Futurama ones were all right, although they too often boil down to 'Who thought up that joke? You? Yeah, it was funny'.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited January 2009
    After watching the one for American Pie, I vowed to never do so again within my power.
  • sweet-t310sweet-t310 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Kevin Smith and Richard Kelly's track on the Donnie Darko Director's Cut was pretty good too.

Hearing Kevin Smith find out that it was cheaper to get Duran Duran's "Notorious" during the dance recital than it was to get "West End Girls" by the Pet Shop Boys is absolutely hilarious.
  • chunkyponychunkypony Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    The commentary on Ghostbusters is pretty frickin hilarious.
  • metalhead27metalhead27 Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    chunkypony;1878184 said:
    The commentary on Ghostbusters is pretty frickin hilarious.
    Yeah I think I've seen that one. :D

I've played most of the commentaries that I have. Also have extended editions of the LOTR trilogy. Only played the director/writers and actor tracks though, couldn't bother with the other tracks. Played the hell out of the extras on those sets though. :)
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    I love the South Park comentaries. Short and sweet, and they don't ramble... just get's straight to the things you want to hear.
  • zack10housezack10house Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    LankanLatino;1876423 said:
    movies or tv dvds?
    i know, its an extremely nerdy thing to do, but i have all the futurama TV DVD's and have watched each episode once then again with audio commentary
    i tried watching tropic thunder with audio commentary but wasnt too interested

name yours..or call me a nerd, whichever you please :D
    Seriously? Tropic Thunder's commentary is hilarious. Robert Downey Jr. doesn't break character until the end when he breaks down. at this point he does his Australian Kirk Lazarus voice and once the credits roll he goes to his actual speaking voice.
  • C-WeinerC-Weiner Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I liek watching the Simpsons commentaries
    edited January 2009
    I just recently watched the commentary on Step Brothers. Completely musical and with special guest: NBA star Baron Davis! Why? I don't know! lol Ferrell, Riley, and McKay sing for 10 minutes about Will's prosthetic balls
    edited January 2009
    sweet-t310;1877704 said:
    Kevin Smith and Richard Kelly's track on the Donnie Darko Director's Cut was pretty good too.

Hearing Kevin Smith find out that it was cheaper to get Duran Duran's "Notorious" during the dance recital than it was to get "West End Girls" by the Pet Shop Boys is absolutely hilarious.
    That commentary was excellent. i miss that movie.
  • AeroZeppelinSevenfoldAeroZeppelinSevenfold Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Yes I love those. Its very interesting to me. I would like it in games too. The only one that I have seen it in is in the Orange Box. And its great there. You can play through the game and look for little commentary bubbles, and click on them to hear what it has to say.
  • LibertineStripesLibertineStripes Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    I've only ever listened to Arrested Development's commentaries. All of them are great.