Bands/Movements That Just Didn't Pan Out

LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
edited January 2009 in History of Rock
About this time last year, I got caught up in this whole 'New Rave'/New Wave revival thing and though it was the best thing ever. With the benefit of hindsight, there was one good band in the entire thing, New Young Pony Club, the rest were pretty rubbish.
I also remember the whole 'New Wave of American Heavy Metal', I wonder how much Roadrunner bribed Metal Hammer with to push that! Strangely, though, although the term is completely ludicrous, the bands involved do seem to have massively influenced the direction kids are getting into metal, what with all this metalcore.

What bands/movements did you like/do you remember that ended up being duds?

Comments

• afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    i regret to inform everyone that referring to any band as part of the "new weird america" will only get you laughed at.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    afterstasis;1886469 said:
    i regret to inform everyone that referring to any band as part of the "new weird america" will only get you laughed at.
    God, that term at once confuses and irritates me. I hate the common trend of musical journalists nowadays to label perfectly definable bands as something different or new, preferably using a pun or similiar play on an old genre. It's journalism, not creative writing!
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I thought Joy Division influenced post punky goth was going to make a huge comeback in the late 90's. I invested so much energy into it I had my own goth band. It pissed me off when Interpol suddenly made post-punk cool.
    edited January 2009
    Soror_YZBL;1886504 said:
    I thought Joy Division influenced post punky goth was going to make a huge comeback in the late 90's. I invested so much energy into it I had my own goth band. It pissed me off when Interpol suddenly made post-punk cool.
    I don't understand how the Killers, et al are called a post-punk revival. They just sound like modern rock to me, there's no Echo, Birthday Party, Joy Division influence there...
  • zeldazeppelinzeldazeppelin Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    the american version of visual kei. It was so bad but so awesome
  • AtomicCowAtomicCow Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    I kinda got caught up in the swing revival from about a decade ago. Now everyone laughs when I wear a zoot suit and asks if I like Indiana Jones when I wear my fedora.
    edited January 2009
    zeldazeppelin;1886556 said:
    the american version of visual kei. It was so bad but so awesome
    Visual kei is not a genre

Put it this way: the Japanese musical press call Slipknot, SoAD, etc visual kei. It just means visual-orientated bands, nothing to do with musical sound.
  • zeldazeppelinzeldazeppelin Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1886575 said:

Put it this way: the Japanese musical press call Slipknot, SoAD, etc visual kei. It just means visual-orientated bands, nothing to do with musical sound.
    Its a movement though
    edited January 2009
    zeldazeppelin;1886607 said:
    Its a movement though
    Native to Japan though. It's visual style is roughly equivalent to nu-metal anyway, I don't see a reason to call them anything other than things we already have like shock rock.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1886511 said:
    I don't understand how the Killers, et al are called a post-punk revival. They just sound like modern rock to me, there's no Echo, Birthday Party, Joy Division influence there...
    I always considered The Killers are more new-wave than post-punk, they're basically Duran Duran without as much glam. Interpol sounds almost EXACTLY like Red Lorry, Yellow Lorry, it's uncanny. The Editors are about the same way. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club are just the Jesus and Mary Chain with an American accent.
    edited January 2009
    Soror_YZBL;1886628 said:
    I always considered The Killers are more new-wave than post-punk, they're basically Duran Duran without as much glam. Interpol sounds almost EXACTLY like Red Lorry, Yellow Lorry, it's uncanny. The Editors are about the same way. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club are just the Jesus and Mary Chain with an American accent.
    I agree on the Killers massively, but they're apparantly post-punk. I hate the Editors with a passion, actually most of those bands I hate.