Albums with concepts rooted to books

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited February 2009 in History of Rock
Seeing all the talk about Pink Floyd's Animals got me thinkin how many people know anything about bands having concept albums or just albums in general based off of books?

I know of three off the top of my head:

Animals - Pink Floyd (Animal Farm)
I Robot - Alan Parsons Project (I, Robot)
The Snow Goose - Camel (The Snow Goose)

I'm sure there are others I know of, but can't think of right now

anyone else know any?

Comments

• LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Half on-topic; Animal Farm is a terrible book. I mean, could it batter you over the head any harder? Didactic messages are not for literature.

Blind Guardian, Nightfall in Middle Earth comes to mind, as does Nick Cave's Lyre of Orpheus, which is rather vague, but can be interpreted as a retelling of the Orphic myth.
  • kwami42kwami42 Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Isn't Rush's 2112 loosely based on an Ayn Rand novel?
  • aander91aander91 Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Rush-2112
    Sci-fi novel by Ayn Rand.

What's the deal with Coheed? Do they have any? I know they have some sort of storyline thing going on. (I risk getting swamped with rabid fans with this statement.)
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited January 2009
    These come to mind:

David Bowie – Diamond Dogs -- Orwell
    Pete Townshend – The Iron Man: The Musical -- Ted Hughes
    Metaphor – The Sparrow -- Mary Doria Russell
    Sonic Youth – Sister --- Philip K. Dick Works
    Jefferson Starship's - Blows Against the Empire - Robert Heinlein's Methuselah's Children
    edited January 2009
    Some artist... Not sure... Did a concept album... Don't know the title...

It was about a guy hitting a little girl with his car, knocking her off her bike, and then it develops into a love story a la Lolita. Any ideas? I really want it now and can't remember it.
  • Sir_PhobosSir_Phobos Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    kwami42;1887552 said:
    Isn't Rush's 2112 loosely based on an Ayn Rand novel?
    Just the title track. The rest of the album is unrelated.
  • xX_Sandman_XxxX_Sandman_Xx Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    "Catcher In The Rye" by GNR. Only thing though is that it's a song, not an album.

GNR are supposed to make a song called "Atlas Shrugged" which is named after the book by Ayn Rand. It will probably be on CD II.
  • Sir_PhobosSir_Phobos Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    aander91;1887559 said:
    What's the deal with Coheed? Do they have any? I know they have some sort of storyline thing going on. (I risk getting swamped with rabid fans with this statement.)
    The storyline for C&C's albums come from a comic called The Armory Wars written by Claudio Sanchez.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine tree is based on Bret Easton Ellis's novel Lunar Park. Hopefully they continue the trend and base their next record on American Psycho. :)
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited January 2009
    I clicked on this thread thinking it said "Albums with concepts rooted to boobs".

I was terribly dissapointed.
    edited January 2009
    schmeankman;1888055 said:
    I clicked on this thread thinking it said "Albums with concepts rooted to boobs".

I was terribly dissapointed.
    Every hair metal album from the 80's, except open up and say ahh, which was about man love.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I'm kind of suprised no one's mentioned Mastodon's "Leviathan" yet, which was loosely based off of Moby Dick.
    edited January 2009
    Soror_YZBL;1888029 said:
    Fear of a Blank Planet by Porcupine tree is based on Bret Easton Ellis's novel Lunar Park. Hopefully they continue the trend and base their next record on American Psycho. :)
    American Psycho is a boring novel though, and a barely better film. I never got into Ellis' writing, although I admit I totally fell for The Rules of Attraction.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    A Little Bit Longer- The Jonas Brothers (The Bible)
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited January 2009
    thanks to lolicat for reminding me:

Brave New World - Steve Miller Band

and

Journey to the Centre of the Earth - Rick Wakeman

and not really a book, but a writer:
    Tales of Mystery and Imagination - Alan Parsons Project (based on Edgar Allen Poe works)
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited January 2009
    I also have read rumours that Close to the Edge - Yes is about Siddartha
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    instantdeath999;1888811 said:
    A Little Bit Longer- The Jonas Brothers (The Bible)
    This man is joking. Why would Joe, Nick, and Kevin do a concept album?

On topic, I've heared Rumors about The Stone Roses being a Rock Opera/Concept Album about the life of Jesus.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1888940 said:
    This man is joking. Why would Joe, Nick, and Kevin do a concept album?

You have done well. Here is your award.

http://www.basilrathbone.net/films/holmes.jpg
  • LurbyLurby Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    Iron Maiden, Brave new world is based on the book by the same name.
    Also Moonchild from The seventh son of a seventh son album is based off a book by Aleister Crowley(aka: Mr Crowley)
    edited January 2009
    Lurby;1889209 said:
    Not the entire album.
  • LurbyLurby Unsigned
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1889214 said:
    Not the entire album.
    I know, sorry I forgot to say I meant the song.
    edited January 2009
    Lurby;1889245 said:
    I know, sorry I forgot to say I meant the song.
    I'm not even sure about that. I personally always thought it was a reference to Stranger in a Strange Land.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Didnt Symphony X have an album based off of the Odyssey? Haven't listened to them, too much, but that's what I've heard.

Sepultura's latest album A-Lex is based off of a Clockwork Orange, but their current sound is bad enough (and reviews have really confirmed suspicions) that I'm reluctant to give it a spin or go near it.
    a21schizoidman;1888856 said:
    I also have read rumours that Close to the Edge - Yes is about Siddartha
    The title track was inspired by the book, but I'm not sure about the rest of the album.
    edited January 2009
    Hungryfreak;1889304 said:
    Didnt Symphony X have an album based off of the Odyssey? Haven't listened to them, too much, but that's what I've heard.

Sepultura's latest album A-Lex is based off of a Clockwork Orange, but their current sound is bad enough (and reviews have really confirmed suspicions) that I'm reluctant to give it a spin or go near it.

I think they just had one really long song based off of the Odessey.

On the subject of a Clockwork Orange, there was also Ein kleines bisschen Horrorshau by Die Toten Hosen
    edited January 2009
    MronoC;1889459 said:
    I think they just had one really long song based off of the Odessey.

On the subject of a Clockwork Orange, there was also Ein kleines bisschen Horrorshau by Die Toten Hosen
    Die Toten Hosen were obssessed with the novel though, were they not, I thought they used Alex as a sort of mascot.
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1889475 said:
    Die Toten Hosen were obssessed with the novel though, were they not, I thought they used Alex as a sort of mascot.
    I wouldn't know. In all honesty I'm only aware of it because of Rock Band and Guitar Hero. I really like Hier Kommt Alex, so I've been meaning to check out the album, but then the prospect of listening to an album entirely in German sends me into flashbacks of being forcefed Kurt Weill by my older brother (not that Weill isn't totally awesome).
    edited January 2009
    MronoC;1889523 said:
    I wouldn't know. In all honesty I'm only aware of it because of Rock Band and Guitar Hero. I really like Hier Kommt Alex, so I've been meaning to check out the album, but then the prospect of listening to an album entirely in German sends me into flashbacks of being forcefed Kurt Weill by my older brother (not that Weill isn't totally awesome).
    German is an abortion of a language. I cannot stand to hear it. Comes with having studied it for a few years.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Deep Purple's "Stormbringer" was based on the Michael Moorcock fantasy novel of the same name. And "The Book of Taliesyn" refers to a 14th century manuscript, so....yeah.

There's also:

Journey to the Centre of the Earth --- Yes
    Music Inspired By The Snow Goose -- Camel
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1888752 said:
    American Psycho is a boring novel though, and a barely better film. I never got into Ellis' writing, although I admit I totally fell for The Rules of Attraction.
    Ya know, I almost feel bad that I've never read any of his works. I'm not big into fiction. American Psycho is one of my favorite movies though. :) It could be my long standing crush on Christian Bale, or maybe just that it's given me something to say about Genesis other than "Gabriel's better than Collins".
    edited January 2009
    Lurby;1889209 said:
    Also Moonchild from The seventh son of a seventh son album is based off a book by Aleister Crowley(aka: Mr Crowley)
    If you're gonna count songs about crowley's works, there's like a zillion. Fields of the Nephilim also have a song called Moonchild, Electric Hellfire Club has a song called Book of Lies (which is actually not about Crowley's Book of Lies), and Current 93 has made a career of incorporating various bits of Crowley's works into their music. There's a vocal chorus called Unknown Rivers which puts the text of Crowley's Gnostic Mass to music, and rapper (and cirque de soleil clown) Scholar has a number of tracks about the Book of the Law, the Equinox of the Gods, etc etc. I categorize them as religious music, though, not really based on a book but on the philosophy.