Is "Hail to the Thief" worth getting?

BubBub Generic Person
edited January 2009 in History of Rock
I've built up quite a collection of Radiohead albums and I was wondering if "Hail to the Thief" as a whole is worth getting. The only two songs I have from this album are "2 + 2=5" and "There There". I know the album takes the electronic influence of Kid A and Amnesiac and the more alternative rock influence of Pablo Honey, The Bends, and OK Computer. I own In Rainbows and also know it takes those same influences. So, is "Hail to the Thief" worth getting?

Comments

  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    i'm personally not too fond of this album, but it's not bad. definitely pick up any other radiohead albums you're missing before looking into this one.
  • BubBub Generic Person
    edited January 2009
    afterstasis;1888345 said:
    i'm personally not too fond of this album, but it's not bad. definitely pick up any other radiohead albums you're missing before looking into this one.
    Seriously? Because the other album I was missing was "Pablo Honey" and I really don't like the album one bit. "Creep" is the only good tune off "Pablo Honey" in my opinion. I can't seem to find another tune that I like off that particular album.
  • kwami42kwami42 Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    HTTT is my second- or third-favorite Radiohead album depending on my mood. Definitely check it out.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2009
    Bub;1888360 said:
    Seriously? Because the other album I was missing was "Pablo Honey" and I really don't like the album one bit. "Creep" is the only good tune off "Pablo Honey" in my opinion. I can't seem to find another tune that I like off that particular album.
    Wat. Creep is the worst song on that album...
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Bub;1888360 said:
    Seriously? Because the other album I was missing was "Pablo Honey" and I really don't like the album one bit. "Creep" is the only good tune off "Pablo Honey" in my opinion. I can't seem to find another tune that I like off that particular album.
    i like pablo honey a lot... my faves are "stop whispering", "i can't", and "anyone can play guitar"... "vegetable" and "thinking about you" are incredible too!
    the whole thing's great, and "creep" is almost definitely my least favorite from the album.
  • BubBub Generic Person
    edited January 2009
    afterstasis;1888407 said:
    i like pablo honey a lot... my faves are "stop whispering", "i can't", and "anyone can play guitar"... "vegetable" and "thinking about you" are incredible too!
    the whole thing's great, and "creep" is almost definitely my least favorite from the album.
    Hey, we all have different tastes... but. I don't see why everyone doesn't like "Creep". I think the only reason you guys don't like "Creep" is because Thom Yorke doesn't like Creep". Anyway I don't think I want "Pablo Honey".
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Bub;1888419 said:
    Hey, we all have different tastes... but. I don't see why everyone doesn't like "Creep". I think the only reason you guys don't like "Creep" is because Thom Yorke doesn't like Creep". Anyway I don't think I want "Pablo Honey".
    i never really got into "creep". i remember when it was huge and my friend bought the album and taped it off for me.
    i didn't listen to it forever because i didn't think i'd like it, but ended up loving the rest of the album.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited January 2009
    Anyone Can Play Guitar is probably the best track off Pablo Honey.
  • kwami42kwami42 Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Gowienczyk;1888467 said:
    Anyone Can Play Guitar is probably the best track off Pablo Honey.
    I agree.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited January 2009
    Bub;1888318 said:
    I've built up quite a collection of Radiohead albums and I was wondering if "Hail to the Thief" as a whole is worth getting. The only two songs I have from this album are "2 + 2=5" and "There There". I know the album takes the electronic influence of Kid A and Amnesiac and the more alternative rock influence of Pablo Honey, The Bends, and OK Computer. I own In Rainbows and also know it takes those same influences. So, is "Hail to the Thief" worth getting?
    I would get it. It's actually a really good album, it's a pretty good mix of the jazz and unconventional electronics from Kid A and Amnesiac and their earlier rock style. However, it's a bit watered down in that sense; although it uses electronics, they're mostly just synthesizers and relatively simple electronic beats and not the more complex/weird stuff like the Ondes martenot and just completely odd beats from Kid A and Amnesiac. Likewise, it never really rocks out as much as their earlier albums, with the exception of a minute or two in 2+2=5. But then again, I'm a bit biased. Highlights would be A Drunken Punchup at a Wedding and Go to Sleep. I would get OK Computer or Kid A over it, but I would get it over Pablo Honey or In Rainbows, no question.
  • BubBub Generic Person
    edited January 2009
    Alright_Computer;1888564 said:
    I would get it. It's actually a really good album, but then again I'm a bit biased. Highlights would be A Drunken Punchup at a Wedding and Go to Sleep.
    I'll go with you on this one. From what I've heard your a pretty big Radiohead and I trust your judgment. Besides your name's Alright_Computer.:D
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited January 2009
    Bub;1888577 said:
    I'll go with you on this one. From what I've heard your a pretty big Radiohead and I trust your judgment. Besides your name's Alright_Computer.:D
    I edited that post a bit to better reflect my opinion. I mean, it's a really good album, just a bit inconsistent. On the other hand, you could consider it to be variety.

    To answer your question, yes, you should get it.

    Side note: this was actually the first Radiohead album I bought, when I was about 14. I can remember sitting up in my room listening to it for hours on end.
  • BubBub Generic Person
    edited January 2009
    Alright_Computer;1888564 said:
    I would get it. It's actually a really good album, it's a pretty good mix of the jazz and unconventional electronics from Kid A and Amnesiac and their earlier rock style. However, it's a bit watered down in that sense; although it uses electronics, they're mostly just synthesizers and relatively simple electronic beats and not the more complex/weird stuff like the Ondes martenot and just completely odd beats from Kid A and Amnesiac. Likewise, it never really rocks out as much as their earlier albums, with the exception of a minute or two in 2+2=5. But then again, I'm a bit biased. Highlights would be A Drunken Punchup at a Wedding and Go to Sleep. I would get OK Computer or Kid A over it, but I would get it over Pablo Honey or In Rainbows, no question.
    What do you not like about "In Rainbows"?
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited January 2009
    Bub;1888621 said:
    What do you not like about "In Rainbows"?
    I liked it a lot, don't get me wrong about that, but overall it just seemed a bit weak to me. Videotape in particular seems to be missing something. I preferred the live version from around 2006 with a full band climax a la Fake Plastic Trees. It works a lot better with the second disc though.

    And I also appreciate Radiohead for using an idea that hadn't really been used by anyone before (pay what you want) and the remix projects in conjunction with iTunes on the songs Nude and Reckoner, although I have to say I prefer Trent Reznor's approach to remixes. (his are free)
  • BubBub Generic Person
    edited January 2009
    Discussions over everyone I already downloaded it. I'm going to listen to it later.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Alright_Computer;1888686 said:
    And I also appreciate Radiohead for using an idea that hadn't really been used by anyone before (pay what you want) and the remix projects in conjunction with iTunes on the songs Nude and Reckoner, although I have to say I prefer Trent Reznor's approach to remixes. (his are free)
    Harvey Danger would like a word...
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1888885 said:
    Harvey Danger would like a word...
    as well as countless punk rock bands and venue-owners. :)
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    afterstasis;1888971 said:
    as well as countless punk rock bands and venue-owners. :)
    This too, but HD is the only one I can provide proof of right now, so I decided it's the best example.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited January 2009
    Lolicat;1888885 said:
    Harvey Danger would like a word...
    Dammit, I forgot about Harvey Danger (as well as the punk rock). What I meant was that they "brought it to the mainstream" so to speak.
Sign In or Register to comment.