History of Rock for Jan 29

AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
edited January 2009 in History of Rock
Jan 29

1962 - Warner Bros signs Peter, Paul and Mary to a recording contract.

1966 - The Rolling Stones' As Tears Go By makes #6 in the US.

1972 - Under My Wheels by Alice Cooper is #59 in the US

1974 - ELP's Brain Salad Surgery is #2 in the UK and #11 in the US

1977 - Walk This Way from Aerosmith's Toys In The Attic reaches #10 in the US. The band takes this opportunity to take an extended break from touring for the first time in 5 years to write and prepare for the next album.

1978 - The Dire Straits open for The Talking Heads for a 16 date tour of the UK

1978 - During Steve Clark's first jam with Def Leppard he plays the solo from Freebird and is immediately asked to join the band.

1979 - 16 year old Brenda Spencer opened fire on an Elementary School in California killing the Principal and Custodian and wounding 8 children and a Police Officer. When asked why she did she replied "I don't like Mondays. This livens up the day." Reading about the incident in the paper Boomtown Rats leader Bob Geldof was inspired to write the song I Don't Like Mondays which went on to become a major hit in the UK but flopped in the US peaking at #73.

1983 - The band Men At Work became the first act since Rod Stewart in 1971 to top the singles and album charts in the US and UK simultaneously when their Business As Usual album joined their single Down Under on the top of the trans-Atlantic piles.

1983 - The Beatles once again have a hit , Please, Please Me makes #29 in the UK

1983 - Peter Gabriel's Shock The Monkey is #29 in the US and is his first single to perform better in the US than the UK.

1984 - At the Limelight Club in Manhattan the members of Motley Crue are awarded Gold albums for Shout At The Devil, signifying half a million copies sold.

1986 - Siouxsie & The Banshees have a cameo in the film Out Of Bounds.