Shades of AC/DC thread

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited January 2009 in History of Rock
Sorry, I put these on hiatus for a while due to lack of interest, but someone told me to bring them back, so here it is!

Shades of AC/DC

they started as a hard rockin blues-rock bar band (with a singer tryin to turn them glam, so they kicked him out, and got Bon Scott)
Bon took them from 74-80 with the albums High Voltage (Aus), TNT, High Voltage (US), Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap (Aus), Powerage, Dirty Deeds Done Dirty Cheap (US), Let There Be Rock, If You Want Blood You Got It (Live), and Highway to Hell, with a few albums released after his death as well such as '74 Jailbreak (which was songs not included on the American High Voltage album from the Aussie albums TNT and High Voltage), and the Bonfire Collection (which included the Johnson era Back in Black, and 3 Bon Albums which were Live at the Atlantic Studios, Let there Be Rock: The Movie Live in Paris, and Volts (which was other AC/DC songs with different lyrics))

but Bon sadly died in 1980, and Brian Johnson came in and yelled and started the band down a new path of Arena Rock and hard rockin pop rock. Brian's best known album is Back in Black, but also has For Those About to Rock, Flick of the Switch, Fly On the Wall, Who Made Who, Blow Up Your Video, The Razor's Edge, Live, Ballbreaker, Stiff Upper Lip, and Black Ice

so, what is your opinions? what are your favorite songs and albums? which era do you prefer the Bon era or the Brian era?

discuss!

Comments

• a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited January 2009
    yeah, so for those who don't know, I used to LOVE AC/DC, I do own every single one of their American albums, and TNT as well

I probably also know more about them than any other band, and have written papers for school on them (and gotten A's :D )

but, I definitely prefer the Bon era more ranking the albums (American):
    1. Powerage
    2. Let There Be Rock
    3. If You Want Blood
    4. High Voltage
    5. Highway to Hell
    6. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

and the Brian era (only including the albums really worth mentioning):
    1. Flick of the Switch
    2. Back In Black
    3. For Those About to Rock
    4. Black Ice

my favorite songs:
    Rock And Roll Damnation
    What's Next to the Moon
    Riff Raff
    Down Payment Blues
    Big Balls
    High Voltage
    Go Down
    Whole Lotta Rosie
    Let There Be Rock
    Shot Down in Flames
    Walk All Over You
    Ride On
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited January 2009
    I prefer the Bon era as well, and I think that Let There Be Rock is hands-down their best album. Dog Eat Dog, LTBR, Hell ain't a bad place to be are all fantastic.
    edited January 2009
    Julio_Strikes_Back;1893648 said:
    I prefer the Bon era as well, and I think that Let There Be Rock is hands-down their best album. Dog Eat Dog, LTBR, Hell ain't a bad place to be are all fantastic.
    LTBR was my fav for a long time, but then I just started to really dig Powerage
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited January 2009
    edited January 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1893678 said:
    Poll plz?
    you haven't been to the other threads? or read the OP, have you?

its a discussion thread, there is no need for a poll
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    I went through a big AC/DC phase in like sophomore year of high school. People talk about them rocking really hard or kicking ass or whatever, but it's amazing how well-constructed their songs are and how clever their lyrics are, particularly during the Bon era. I read in some article once that Bon was the vocal equivalent of a horny grin, and I can't think of any better way to describe him than that. If you made AC/DC's music into a human being somehow, it would definitely be Bon Scott.
    Let There Be Rock is probably my favorite album, though there isn't a Bon album I dislike. I think Dirty Deeds is pretty damn good, "Ride On" is probably the most emotionally honest this band has ever been.
    I enjoy some of the Brian stuff, but not nearly as much as Bon. I have a lot of respect for Brian because he had mighty big shoes to fill and has always payed tribute to Bon, and I enjoy that he has his own style, I just don't care for it quite as much.
    Black Ice was alright for what it was, but it was too long and too well-produced. They need to make another record that sounds as dirty as the song's deserve.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    I like the Bon Scott thread Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap is one of my all time favorite albums I also, like his voice better than Brian so I like the Bon era better

From the Brian era my favorite album and song is For Those About To Rock We Salute You
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Bon Scott's AC/DC are the closest I get to enjoying classic rock. Even then, only at parties and for remembering what a kunckle dragger I was in high school.