Megadeth Album Recommendation

SquaretrianglesSquaretriangles Road Warrior
edited February 2009 in History of Rock
Hello, all. I recently picked up Peace Sells.... from the library and found out I like Megadeth, (much to my mother's disdain), and was wondering if anyone could recommend an album from them for me to to pick up next. All my local library has is the aforementioned album and United Abominations. Also, is UA any good? Some bands from the 80's can't really last into the 00's, so....I don't know. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited January 2009
    Rust in Peace is essential, and personally, I really like United Abominations. Countdown to Extinction and So Far, So Good, So What are also good choices.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, get Rust In Peace next, definitely. UA really wasn't too good, you want to look for early Megadeth first. Any of the first 5 are pretty damn good, especially Peace Sells and Rust In Peace
  • JerryBrudosJerryBrudos Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    Killing is my Business is very good probably a bit more similar to Peace Sells. Rust in Peace is great as well either would be good choices. UA is decent but I wouldn't be starting their unless you already know their first 5 albums fairly well.
  • SuperRocker47SuperRocker47 Opening Act
    edited January 2009
    Countdown to Extinction is really good and rust in peace is solid. i recently got Unied Abominations and i have to say i am actually pleased. its a solid album and Sleepwalker and Untied abominations are both awesome songs
  • WrathyWrathy Rising Star
    edited January 2009
    One that hasn't been mentioned is So Far, So Good....So What!, which is my personal favourite from Peace Sells, Rust in Peace, SOSGSW (obviously) and United Abominations. I haven't listened to any other 'Deth albums apart from those four, though - could somebody recommend me somewhere to go from here?
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited January 2009
    Rust in Peace is a very essential album. Peace Sells represents them at their best when it comes to Thrash, but Rust in Peace represents them at their best when it comes to incorporating progressive elements.
  • SputnikDXSputnikDX Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Read my sig, make the right choice.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    In order, I would go:

1. Rust In Peace
    2. Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good
    3. So Far, So Good, So What?
    4. Countdown To Extinction
  • s1yfoxs1yfox Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    definitely go rust in peace....marty must be heard!
  • ardshipmanardshipman Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    I'd have to go with Rust, Countdown and Youthanasia.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Rust In Peace. Get it. Now.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited February 2009
    So Far, So Good... So What?
  • theantkid12theantkid12 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Rust in Peace.

'Nuff said.

Just about any of the first five albums are great starting points, but I recommend after going with Peace Sells, move to Rust in Peace.

UA is a good listen, but it isn't classic Megadeth worthy. I'm not saying take it away from your choices, but listen to it after you listen to the first five.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    WhiffleBallTony;1909935 said:
    So Far, So Good... So What?
    I like this album a lot, too. Don't know why it's so panned.
  • Meatwad555Meatwad555 Merch-Table
    edited February 2009
    Countdown to Extinction is my favorite. I love pretty much every song on there. Rust in Peace is ok too.
    edited February 2009
    instantdeath999;1911120 said:
    I like this album a lot, too. Don't know why it's so panned.
    My guess would be that it has something to do with the "Anarchy in the U.K." cover
  • BowiefanpersonBowiefanperson Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Megadeth. Upsetting Parents since Killing was its buisness.

though it's funny how most early megadeth fans who were teenagers or young adults are parents now with teens.
  • Teh_JakesterTeh_Jakester Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Get Killing is My Business; it's awesome (it's also arguably the closest thing they have to Peace Sells that isn't Peace Sells). So Far... so Good... so What! is another great choice.
    If you like those two, Youthanasia and Countdown to Extinction're great, and The System Has Failed is worth at least a listen if you liked the other five I've mentioned. I loved it, but it's nowhere near Peace Sells, even though they share a guitarist.
    Oh, and Rust in Peace is okay, I guess. Overrated as hell, though.
  • dethmerchantdethmerchant Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Teh_Jakester;1917983 said:
    Get Killing is My Business; it's awesome (it's also arguably the closest thing they have to Peace Sells that isn't Peace Sells). So Far... so Good... so What! is another great choice.
    If you like those two, Youthanasia and Countdown to Extinction're great, and The System Has Failed is worth at least a listen if you liked the other five I've mentioned. I loved it, but it's nowhere near Peace Sells, even though they share a guitarist.
    Oh, and Rust in Peace is okay, I guess. Overrated as hell, though.
    Blasphemy... Five Magics, Hangar 18, Tornado of Souls... how are they overrated?
    edited February 2009
    dethmerchant;1922194 said:
    Blasphemy... Five Magics, Hangar 18, Tornado of Souls... how are they overrated?
    Better question! How aren't they overrated?!
    edited February 2009
    Teh_Jakester;1922711 said:
    In the sense that they're just as awesome as people claim them to be?
    edited February 2009
    That, and that every song off their first three albums is better.
  • SputnikDXSputnikDX Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Teh_Jakester;1922711 said:
    Because they get 0 radio airplay.

Rust in Peace isn't overrated, it's just really, really good

Seriously, stuff gets popular for a reason.
  • Toked Up CowToked Up Cow Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    My favorite are Rust in Peace and SFSGSW.

Rust in Peace being my favorite is definatly not overrated. Five Magiks, Rust in Peace... Polaris are ****ing amazing
  • Stones_ClashStones_Clash Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    as pretty much everyone else has stated, peace sells and rust in peace are their definitive, must own albums. as a whole, i think i like peace sells more because it doesnt have any weak tracks (even though i aint superstitious feels a bit out of place, its not a bad song).

meanwhile, the band is arguably at their peak musically on rust in peace, but i always found the bass intro to five magics to be too drawn out and sort of killing the thrash happy mood set by the previous tracks. also, poison was the cure has another long intro that is just not suitable for a track as short as it is. i love melodic bass lines/guitar parts as much as anyone, but it has to feel right within the context of the song and album, and these are just some flaws in otherwise good songs, making the album imperfect in my eyes. however, its still a great album, and all the other tracks are top notch i think.

i also really like united abominations, but itd be best to start with those two first i think. i also plan on getting countdown to extinction soon, and i really like what ive heard of that. despite the fact that its slower and more accessible than their previous albums, the songs ive heard off of it are still awesome metal tunes that you cant go wrong with. ill reserve full judgment for that album when i get it myself though.