The History of Rock Official Trivia #1 - Prog!

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited February 2009 in History of Rock
a21schizoidman;1799012 said:

I give credit to AxVanHagar, due to him starting this a few months ago, but it faded away. But I'm putting a twist on it.

This is going to be a long-running contest. It should last a total of around 10 weeks, maybe longer.

Starting February 2, 2009, each Trivia thread will last a week.
I will be asking people to sign up to enter this contest, and also for people to sign up to create Trivia threads.

Scoring system:
Each question answered correctly will be worth one point, if all are answered correctly, they will receive an extra 2 points.
Points will be tallied by the thread starter, and they will be posted here, and updated on the next post. And to get people to enter the contest, people who sign up to enter the contest before the end of this week (by January 18, 2009, will receive a free point, and people who sign up and create the week's thread, will receive 10 points.

Why the points?:
This contest is, a contest, at the end of the string of Trivia threads, the winner will receive a prize from me. 1600 MSP if the winner is an Xbox 360 owner, or a check for $20.00 for a Playstation or Wii owner. They will be mailed after the winner is determined. The winner will have to PM me their address so I can mail it.

RULES:
As I am doing this out of my own generosity, there are rules:
1. Use of outside sources is against the rules. No wiki, google, allmusic, or other websites, or encyclopedias, or other books, or as I stated, any outside source. These are prohibited. Also, no cheating off earlier answers, either. Of course, doing this is all on the honor system. So please do not use them. Keep this clean. If you are caught using an outside source somehow, you will be disqualified.

2. You must sign up to officially be a part of the contest and be eligible for the prize. There will be time to sign up until January 31, 2009. To sign up, just post here (for the first week there will be a poll up for the early-birds). Anybody can sign up to participate, but those who miss the date will not be eligible for the contest, but are, obviously, still allowed to answer the questions and participate for fun.

3. I am asking for YOUR HELP. For the regulars of the History of Rock forum, you can sign up to create your Trivia thread. Please choose what your topic will be (ie. drummers, album covers, etc.) [this is where I am looking at you Axl, Shredder, Fogey, JukeBoxHero, benson, afterstasis and others). As stated earlier, you are still allowed to enter the contest, and by creating the thread, you will receive 10 free points for your help.

4. In the event of a tie at the end, a thread of three questions will be put up, and the first one to get all three correct, will be the winner.

Thread Structure:
Each thread will consist of 10 Questions revolving around the Topic of the thread. Each question is worth one point. Questions should be well-researched and written thoroughly.

Please try and keep the topics varied, too, we don't need 3 threads on guitarists.

Each week a new thread will be put up, in order of the list that will be created.

Thank you, and have fun!
[CENTER]
*While anybody is allowed to answer these questions, only those who signed up officially are being awarded points.*[/CENTER]

Trivia #1 - Progressive rock

1. On the 1973 album Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield, Mike Oldfield himself plays 15 Instruments on the first track alone. Now, Vivian Stanshall is known for being the Master of Ceremonies. But there are Four instruments not credited to him. Name one of these instruments and who played it.

2. On the inside cover of the 1971 album Pictures At An Exhibition by Emerson, Lake & Palmer, what is the name of the song with no picture attached to it?

3. What progressive metal band toured in 1974 with a guitarist with a broken arm? (Hint: in 1974 they appeared on the King Biscuit Flower Hour)

4. For the second time in King Crimson history, they brought in a second drummer, Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree to drum with current King Crimson drummer Pat Mastelotto. Who was the first drum duo King Crimson featured?

5. Progressive metal band Dream Theater had confused many fans in 2005 while working on their album Octavarium. Earlier in the year, vocalist James LaBrie had released a solo album. The tracks from his solo album were file-shared and played by radio stations under the impression it was leaks from the new album. The mix up was not corrected until a week before Octavarium 's release. What was the name of the solo album released by vocalist James LaBrie?

6. The Alan Parsons Project was one of the most successful progressive rock bands during the 1980s releasing 10 studio albums from 1976 to 1987. What was strange was, the Project became commercially successful while never touring live in that span. Finally, in 1990, they performed once, right before their breakup. What event did they play at?

7. Italian band Premiata Forneria Marconi stepped away from their native language to have 5 of their songs re-written into English in order to try to break into the foreign markets. They did so by releasing an album in 1973 on ELP's Manticore records. What was the name of the album and famous lyricist who re-wrote their work?

8. Progressive rock in the 1970s was almost entirely European Dominated. But four bands from the United States made commercial impact in the progressive rock world, one from the midwest, one from the south, one from DC, and one from New York. Name these bands.

9. The Canterbury Scene was known for having bands that intertwined memberships. One Australian musician founded two groups central to the Canterbury Scene, Gong & Soft Machine. Who was this musician?

10. In 1976 Yes members Bill Bruford and Rick Wakeman decided to team up with King Crimson bassist John Wetton to form up a supergroup, but the project fell apart, what was the name given to the proposed supergroup?

Good luck! You have one week to respond, when the next thread goes up, this one will officially be closed.

Comments

• HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, as I figured, I've got nothing. I won't be winning any awards here, but I'm at least content with making a trivia thread later on, haha. Good luck to people who actually know these answers!
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;1906577 said:
    Yeah, as I figured, I've got nothing. I won't be winning any awards here, but I'm at least content with making a trivia thread later on, haha. Good luck to people who actually know these answers!
    The bold part.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited February 2009
    3. What progressive metal band toured in 1974 with a guitarist with a broken arm? (Hint: in 1974 they appeared on the King Biscuit Flower Hour) UFO?

8. Progressive rock in the 1970s was almost entirely European Dominated. But four bands from the United States made commercial impact in the progressive rock world, one from the midwest, one from the south, one from DC, and one from New York. Name these bands. Guessing on three of them here: Kansas, Dixie Dregs, and Utopia. I am blanking out on who the band from DC is.

10. In 1976 Yes members Bill Bruford and Rick Wakeman decided to team up with King Crimson bassist John Wetton to form up a supergroup, but the project fell apart, what was the name given to the proposed supergroup? Wasn't it something like Bruford, Wakeman, and Wetton? I might be confusing this with another similarly titled supergroup, though.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;1906577 said:
    Quinarvy;1906617 said:
    The bold part.
    wow, lol, i didn't think that many would be that hard, i mean, i wanted to make a few hard so i threw questions on there I knew for sure wouldn't be found online (at least easily)
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    If I looked around now, I would easily know the answers, but I'm not going to cheat, haha. I'm hitting myself over not knowing a few of these things off hand (like the ELP question), but figured it would end up this way, haha.
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;1906715 said:
    If I looked around now, I would easily know the answers, but I'm not going to cheat, haha. I'm hitting myself over not knowing a few of these things off hand (like the ELP question), but figured it would end up this way, haha.
    well, it makes me feel a lil better knowing i didn't make it like uber easy, lol
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited February 2009
    I'm slapping myself for not remembering any of these answers. I know a few of them, but I'm drawing a blank right now. I don't want to cheat either. Maybe I'll try my luck with this later.
    edited February 2009
    Alright_Computer;1910748 said:
    I'm slapping myself for not remembering any of these answers. I know a few of them, but I'm drawing a blank right now. I don't want to cheat either. Maybe I'll try my luck with this later.
    you have all week, no hurries :)
  • BlackwaterParkBlackwaterPark Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    5. Progressive metal band Dream Theater had confused many fans in 2005 while working on their album Octavarium. Earlier in the year, vocalist James LaBrie had released a solo album. The tracks from his solo album were file-shared and played by radio stations under the impression it was leaks from the new album. The mix up was not corrected until a week before Octavarium 's release. What was the name of the solo album released by vocalist James LaBrie?

I think I know this-- was it "Mullmuzzler 2"?
    edited February 2009
    dont forget to answer this week's questions!! almost 2 days are gone already!
  • CycoMiko138CycoMiko138 Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    I thought I knew a little bit about prog before I read these questions. I couldn't answer 1 without cheating.:eek:
  • dethmerchantdethmerchant Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    James Labrie`s solo album was called Elements of Persuasion.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Wow these started already be prepared for my ominous protest rock thread ;)
    edited February 2009
    Fizzeler;1922734 said:
    Wow these started already be prepared for my ominous protest rock thread ;)
    yeah, i put it up late monday night

it will be running until like tuesday when whoever is next on the list will be putting theirs up
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited February 2009
    If I could find my brain, I could easily answer half of them, but right now, I can't do it. I'll post my answers in here around 10 Eastern Time I suppose.

3.Uriah Heep

5.Elements of Persuasion.

7.Peter Sinfield might have been the lyricist.

8.Kansas, Dixie Dreggs, Utopia, Roxy Music
    edited February 2009
    almost time up for this thread, good job to those who have participated so far! thank you!

runesmith should be up next!
    edited February 2009
    a21schizoidman;1933025 said:
    almost time up for this thread, good job to those who have participated so far! thank you!

runesmith should be up next!
    Cool what is his topic?
    edited February 2009
    Fizzeler;1933029 said:
    Cool what is his topic?
    he said originally punk rock, so im guessing that is it, quite the opposite of here, lol

unless we're talking Neu! which well, yeah, odd, experimental krautrock but proto-punk
    edited February 2009
    a21schizoidman;1933055 said:

unless we're talking Neu! which well, yeah, odd, experimental krautrock but proto-punk
    lol
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    very good job with these, schiz!
    i only knew three of them (4, 5, and 9), but i'm going to bow out of the answer side of this event.
    edited February 2009
    afterstasis;1933087 said:
    very good job with these, schiz!
    i only knew three of them (4, 5, and 9), but i'm going to bow out of the answer side of this event.
    thanks! it means a lot coming from a genius like you, at first i thought i made it too easy, lol

u can PM me the answers tho, im curious as to how hard it might actually be, lol
    edited February 2009
    well, since it has now been a week since this thread has been up, I will officially be closing it with this post!

I will now tally up the points

****OFFICIALLY CLOSED****
    edited February 2009
    Runesmith;1906646 said:
    3. What progressive metal band toured in 1974 with a guitarist with a broken arm? (Hint: in 1974 they appeared on the King Biscuit Flower Hour) UFO?
    sorry

8. Progressive rock in the 1970s was almost entirely European Dominated. But four bands from the United States made commercial impact in the progressive rock world, one from the midwest, one from the south, one from DC, and one from New York. Name these bands. Guessing on three of them here: Kansas, Dixie Dregs, and Utopia. I am blanking out on who the band from DC is.
    ill give you the point for getting 3 out of the 4

10. In 1976 Yes members Bill Bruford and Rick Wakeman decided to team up with King Crimson bassist John Wetton to form up a supergroup, but the project fell apart, what was the name given to the proposed supergroup? Wasn't it something like Bruford, Wakeman, and Wetton? I might be confusing this with another similarly titled supergroup, though.
    sorry
    BlackwaterPark;1911012 said:

I think I know this-- was it "Mullmuzzler 2"?

nope sorry, thanks for trying :)
    dethmerchant;1922261 said:
    James Labrie`s solo album was called Elements of Persuasion.correct
    JukeBoxHero;1923547 said:
    If I could find my brain, I could easily answer half of them, but right now, I can't do it. I'll post my answers in here around 10 Eastern Time I suppose.

3.Uriah Heep correct

5.Elements of Persuasion. correct

7.Peter Sinfield might have been the lyricist. since you got this part right, ill give it to you

8.Kansas, Dixie Dreggs, Utopia, Roxy Music again, you got 3 out of the 4, so ill give it to you
    Current Standings:
    JukeBoxHero: 4
    Runesmith: 2
    schmeankman: 1
    AxlVanHagar: 1
    afterstasis: 1
    Alright_Computer: 1
    timmay9: 1
    DarkSide247: 1
    Zeleii: 1
    Fizzeler: 1
    citric_bullets: 1
    bmcorrier: 1
    borisbadinov: 1
    cherokeesam: 1
    clashcityrocker10: 1
    ClassicRockFanatic23: 1
    CycoMiko138: 1
    dalcyte: 1
    dirty_bird32: 1
    instantdeath999: 1
    Jebkorrn: 1
    kwami42: 1
    MronoC: 1
    packerfan8675309: 1
    pelemerengue: 1
    Quinarvy: 1
    RockBandRocker: 1
    SteelersFreak1: 1
    TheDMan: 1
    harveyglobetrot: 0
    Hungryfreak: 0
    edited February 2009
    a21schizoidman;1906439 said:
    [CENTER]
    *While anybody is allowed to answer these questions, only those who signed up officially are being awarded points.*[/CENTER]

Trivia #1 - Progressive rock

1. On the 1973 album Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield, Mike Oldfield himself plays 15 Instruments on the first track alone. Now, Vivian Stanshall is known for being the Master of Ceremonies. But there are Four instruments not credited to him. Name one of these instruments and who played it.

* Steve Broughton — percussion
    * Lindsay L. Cooper — string basses
    * Mundy Ellis — vocals
    * Jon Field — flutes
    * Sally Oldfield — vocals

2. On the inside cover of the 1971 album Pictures At An Exhibition by Emerson, Lake & Palmer, what is the name of the song with no picture attached to it?

*Promenade

3. What progressive metal band toured in 1974 with a guitarist with a broken arm? (Hint: in 1974 they appeared on the King Biscuit Flower Hour)

*Uriah Heep

4. For the second time in King Crimson history, they brought in a second drummer, Gavin Harrison of Porcupine Tree to drum with current King Crimson drummer Pat Mastelotto. Who was the first drum duo King Crimson featured?

*Bill Bruford & Pat Mastelotto

*Elements of Persuasion

6. The Alan Parsons Project was one of the most successful progressive rock bands during the 1980s releasing 10 studio albums from 1976 to 1987. What was strange was, the Project became commercially successful while never touring live in that span. Finally, in 1990, they performed once, right before their breakup. What event did they play at?

*Night of the proms

7. Italian band Premiata Forneria Marconi stepped away from their native language to have 5 of their songs re-written into English in order to try to break into the foreign markets. They did so by releasing an album in 1973 on ELP's Manticore records. What was the name of the album and famous lyricist who re-wrote their work?

*Photos of Ghosts, Peter Sinfield

8. Progressive rock in the 1970s was almost entirely European Dominated. But four bands from the United States made commercial impact in the progressive rock world, one from the midwest, one from the south, one from DC, and one from New York. Name these bands.

*Kansas (midwest), Dixie Dregs (south), Utopia (NY), and Happy the Man(DC)

9. The Canterbury Scene was known for having bands that intertwined memberships. One Australian musician founded two groups central to the Canterbury Scene, Gong & Soft Machine. Who was this musician?

*Daevid Allen

10. In 1976 Yes members Bill Bruford and Rick Wakeman decided to team up with King Crimson bassist John Wetton to form up a supergroup, but the project fell apart, what was the name given to the proposed supergroup?

*British Bulldog

Good luck! You have one week to respond, when the next thread goes up, this one will officially be closed.
    answers added

thanks to all who participated!

good luck next week!