Dumb Musical Opinions You Used to Have

WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
edited February 2009 in History of Rock
So, what things about music did you used to think but now you look back and say that they were really really stupid? I don't mean "I used to hate ____, but now they're my favorite band". I mean opinions about the actual music, not just certain bands.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is that I used to think that if a song was written in an odd time signature that the band was composed of horrible musicians. I also believed that any dissonance in music was absolutely horrendous and that if you compose music like that, you really have no idea how to compose in the first place. Of course, now I pretty much think the opposite. I love dissonance and odd time signatures.

Another misconception I had was that death metal was just people banging on their instruments and making random noises into a microphone.

Comments

• My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I used to believe that lyrics were the single-most important part of any musical piece and without meaningful music, it lost any relevance it had as "art."

I also felt that anyone who adopted the "If you want meaningful lyrics, go read a poem." point of view to be disinclined to any real art.

Of course I was like, 13. And obviously.

Now I happily adopt that same point of view, and consider lyrics to be the least important part of any musical piece.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    I'm sure many people will be with me on this one. I was once in the group of "Rap? You mean crap, hur hur" people, but now I quite enjoy some hip hop.

I used to also be in the camp of people who think musical opinion = fact. I once got banned on these forums by comparing the Foo Fighters to the sounds of same gender sex (albeit a bit more graphically depicted), haha. It's really the HoR forums here that set me straight.

Somehow, when I first heard Frank Zappa, I disliked his music. Once I read through his autobiography (the bible), though, I was changed. It helped me understand the man and the music and now he's my favorite, as I'm quick to point out, haha.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Well and I have no idea if others are with me on this, but I use to think the only metal there ever was is Death Metal and hated it because it just sounded like a bunch of noise and yelling although in recent years I may still dislike Death Metal I realized that there are more genres of metal and some I do like (Prog. Metal)
    edited February 2009
    You're not alone. Not me, but I know enough people who still do think that, haha. I do use the term death metal when talking about metal with friends, but that's usually because I'm referring to the harsher, heavier, more haunting side of metal that death metal provides.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;1930923 said:
    You're not alone. Not me, but I know enough people who still do think that, haha. I do use the term death metal when talking about metal with friends, but that's usually because I'm referring to the harsher, heavier, more haunting side of metal that death metal provides.
    I also, use to think GH was better than RB until i bought RB (I saw all the DLC and it used one day and thought why not)
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I bought GH3 without knowing that it was a different company and without knowing that Harmonix went to Rock Band. I've had my dumb moments, haha.
  • DarthAthemaDarthAthema Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    I can't think of any really specific stupid opinions right off the top of my head, but I used to basically dismiss older music (60's and 70's stuff) because of the sound quality. Of course, I was young and dumb, and age and wisdom have set that straight. Plus my wife really forced me to re-examine those views (she loves old music). Now I realize how great some of that stuff is. I now love collecting classic vinyl, and I've realized there will likely never be bands as great as The Who and Led Zeppelin and so on.

Also, growing up in the 90's, I only fairly recently started realizing the value of fun music. I used to only take mopey and angry music seriously. Now some of my favorite groups are on the sillier side.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I used to think classic rock was the be-all and end-all to music.
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I used to think Classic Rock was a real genre.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited February 2009
    This thread has been done before.

I used to think Led Zeppelin was a Metal Band. They have a few Metal songs, though.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    i used to have a problem with dance music.
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited February 2009
    I used to be into exculively pop-punk and denied and importance of the Beatles existance.
  • limelight_rushlimelight_rush Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    I used to think Dream Theater was a great band.

I was so dumb
    edited February 2009
    limelight_rush;1931512 said:
    I used to think Dream Theater was a great band.

I was so dumb
    You're doing it wrong. The OP specifically said no "I used to think _______ was awesome/sucked, but now I think they are teh awesome/suck."
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited February 2009
    "The Beatles are terrible guitarists"
    edited February 2009
    afterstasis;1931474 said:
    i used to have a problem with dance music.
    I never had this, I've always sort of enjoyed it, and there is some House music that I adore out there.
  • DalamariDalamari Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Used to think blues was nothing more than a bunch of guitar wankery and was ****, now I can't get enough of it.
    edited February 2009
    Dalamari;1931659 said:
    Used to think blues was nothing more than a bunch of guitar wankery and was ****, now I can't get enough of it.
    I like the blues when it doesn't verge into wankery. I prefer to hear the guys sing.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    We're starting to get too many Stupid Things spin-off threads IMO.
    edited February 2009
    Ultimatum;1931730 said:
    We're starting to get too many Stupid Things spin-off threads IMO.
    Eh, I wouldn't consider this to be a spin-off of the stupid things you've heard, thread. I mean, yeah, they both involve dumb things about music, but this is more about stupid opinions we personally had about music in general.

The other thread started with "Someone told me A Skylit Drive is a more talented band than Led Zeppelin. LOLWUT?"

So, there are distinct differences.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited February 2009
    Thought Jimmy Eat World was emo around 2005 or so, but got over that wrong opinion very fast when I approached a certain message board that was the main educating force behind my current knowledge, or well a huge factor.

Oh yeah, at one point I thought Papa Roach was good music. Ah, middle school.
    edited February 2009
    Gowienczyk;1932330 said:
    Imagining you rocking out to Last Resort is a very hilarious image.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Gowienczyk;1932330 said:
    Thought Jimmy Eat World was emo around 2005 or so, but got over that wrong opinion very fast when I approached a certain message board that was the main educating force behind my current knowledge, or well a huge factor.

What message board is that? (I'm not harboring any ill intent)
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    I actually had something similar to this, earlier.
    My name is Fez;1930825 said:
    I used to believe that lyrics were the single-most important part of any musical piece and without meaningful music, it lost any relevance it had as "art."

I also felt that anyone who adopted the "If you want meaningful lyrics, go read a poem." point of view to be disinclined to any real art.

Of course I was like, 13. And obviously.

Now I happily adopt that same point of view, and consider lyrics to be the least important part of any musical piece.
    In the words of Kevin Shields, "nothing's worse than bad lyrics" :)
    Hungryfreak;1930878 said:

I used to also be in the camp of people who think musical opinion = fact. I once got banned on these forums by comparing the Foo Fighters to the sounds of same gender sex (albeit a bit more graphically depicted), haha. It's really the HoR forums here that set me straight.

I can't picture you saying that... link or it didn't happen :)
    edited February 2009
    back_blows;1932382 said:
    What message board is that? (I'm not harboring any ill intent)
    Gaiaonline's Music Forum; which gets progressively worse every year. It's the most populated forum period so the idiots:nonidiots ratio is so out of place.

Take a look:

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/music/f.55/
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Gowienczyk;1932392 said:
    Gaiaonline's Music Forum; which gets progressively worse every year. It's the most populated forum period so the idiots:nonidiots ratio is so out of place.

Take a look:

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/music/f.55/
    Lot of brokenCYDE love going on there.
    edited February 2009
    back_blows;1932404 said:
    Lot of brokenCYDE love going on there.
    By the idiots/scenesters/kids, yeah.
  • citric_bulletscitric_bullets Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I used to have an anti-Rap stance, but I've turned around on that now that I've discovered that it actually CAN be art and isn't necessarily just the mind-numbingly repetitive garbage that I danced to at prom... As you can see, I'm still working on that.

I just generally didn't have a really well formed musical opinion until Freshman year of high school, and I've been fine tuning it since then. Before that point I just sort of drifted from one thing to another based on whatever I heard the most of at any given time.
    edited February 2009
    I never hated hippity hop.
    edited February 2009
    instantdeath999;1932385 said:
    I can't picture you saying that... link or it didn't happen :)
    The mod probably deleted the comment due to the nature of it, haha. Got a three day ban, here. Still don't like the Foo Fighters, but now Im more respectful.