Rock Books

schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
edited February 2009 in History of Rock
What a very un-rock like topic, eh? Books? Who needs em? Me. I am currently reading "It Shined:The Saga of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils" by Mike Supe Granda which is curiously enough about the Ozark Mountain Daredevils and is the most intresting book I've ever read.

AND HUE?

Comments

• willdabeast21willdabeast21 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I Wanna Watch You Bleed: The Saga of Guns N' Roses
    great book
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I've found the vast majority of books on rock tend to be misinformed or sensationalist. Not all, I'm sure, but there are a lot of guilty parties.
  • kwami42kwami42 Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    The only one I've really read is Scar Tissue, Anthony Kiedis' autobiography. It was pretty interesting, that guy had one messed up childhood.
    edited February 2009
    kwami42;1933744 said:
    The only one I've really read is Scar Tissue, Anthony Kiedis' autobiography. It was pretty interesting, that guy had one messed up childhood.
    Reminds me; Manson's biography is shockingly entertaining.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited February 2009
  • blackfeltfedorablackfeltfedora Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    The Clash
    http://www.amazon.com/Last-Gang-Town-Story-Clash/dp/0805046410/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234151755&sr=8-4

Good read that goes into a LOT of detail about Mick and Joe's lives before the Clash. The author does an excellent job of maintaining his professional distance for most of the book. Not only a great look inside the only band that matters, but also a view of mid-70's London that gave birth to the UK punk scene. (There is a 2nd edition available, but this version is only 48 cents used).

Sonic Youth
    http://www.amazon.com/Goodbye-20th-Century-Biography-Sonic/dp/030681515X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234147642&sr=1-1

For some reason Sonic Youth just never clicked for me, but I read the book anyway. It was interesting enough to hold the attention of this non-fan, so I suppose it would be very good reading for someone with an interest in the band. Just as a fan of music in general it was a good look inside of a band that never quite broke through the way people thought they would.

----------------
    Now playing: Combichrist - Sent To Destroy
    via FoxyTunes
    edited February 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1933838 said:
    ^Charles Manson?
    No, Marilyn!
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I'm a sucker for biographies, especially music related ones.

Here's a list of my favorites, all of these are interesting and entertaining reads regardless of wether you're a fan of the subject or not.

Hammer of the Gods: The Led Zeppelin Saga

The Dirt (Motley Crue autobiography)

Walk This Way : The Autobiography of Aerosmith

Watch You Bleed: The Saga Of Guns n' Roses

W.A.R. The Unauthorized Biography of William Axl Rose

Crazy From The Heat (David Lee Roth autobiography)

Zappa : A Biography

The Real Frank Zappa Book

Everybody Wants Some : The Van Halen Saga

Wild Boy , My Life In Duran Duran by Andy Taylor

Alice Cooper, Golf Monster: A Rock 'n' Roller's 12 Steps to Becoming a Golf Addict

My most sought after rock bio is Me, Alice The Autobiography of Alice Cooper. Me, Alice is the very hard to find Alice biography 'as told to Steven Gaines'. It has been out of print since at least 1977 and was never published outside the USA. That said it IS worth finding a copy as while there are lots of mistakes it does give some insight into the early years of Alice's life and the creation of the band. It's really expensive, I've seen it go for between $700 - $800! Would love to get my hands on a copy though to add to my Cooper collection of memorbilia.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    AxlVanHagar;1934561 said:
    The Real Frank Zappa Book
    Otherwise known as "The Bible," haha.
    AxlVanHagar;1934561 said:
    Alice Cooper, Golf Monster: A Rock 'n' Roller's 12 Steps to Becoming a Golf Addict
    Another great one.
  • defenestraterdefenestrater Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I enjoyed the Sonic Youth book alot, but the all time best rock book I've ever read was The Dirt, by Motley Crue. I hate their music, and I can't say I think very much of them as individuals, but I still loved the book for the simple reason that it barely talked about their music at all. Instead it just told a million horrible/awesome stories about drugs and groupies. Great book, I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't easily offended, whether they're a fan or not.
  • trench762trench762 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I haven't read as many rock books as I should've, but the ones that stand out to me atm are

5 to 1 about Jim Morrison

Long Hard Road out of Hell by Marilyn Manson

Come as you are about kurt cobain, although most of the cobain books I've read aren't all that interesting.

Not really Rock n roll but Gonzo about Hunter S Thompson is good, as well as the ones he wrote himself like the obvious Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, The curse of Lono, Hell's angels and a few others.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I've been meaning to finish "Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal" for a while now, but got sidetracked by "The Zombie Survival Guide". Apparently John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats wrote a book about Black Sabbath's "Master of Reality" for a series of books on classic albums (33 1/3, I think was the series), I'll probably check that out as soon as I finish "Sound of the Beast", because that sounds like the rock book equivalent of Reese's.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    MronoC;1936533 said:
    I've been meaning to finish "Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal" for a while now, but got sidetracked by "The Zombie Survival Guide". Apparently John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats wrote a book about Black Sabbath's "Master of Reality" for a series of books on classic albums (33 1/3, I think was the series), I'll probably check that out as soon as I finish "Sound of the Beast", because that sounds like the rock book equivalent of Reese's.
    I've got "Sound Of The Beast" as well. My brother gave it to me as a birthday present. Got halfway through in Israel and now I've been stuck between school reading and Lovecraft (since I somehow hadnt read any of his stuff before, haha). It's a pretty good book, though has many inaccuracies (and it barely talks about doom/stoner). It's still fun, though, and gives a basic idea of which genres inspired which along with how certain movements got started.
  • ardshipmanardshipman Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Kiss and make-up by Gene Simmons
    Sex money Kiss by Gene Simmons

Both are very well written books, Which give quite abit of insight into what makes the Demon tick.
  • willdabeast21willdabeast21 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Slash
    Slash's Self titled auto-biography
    great read
  • SlashboiSlashboi Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Slash...the autobiography of him. Lame name but a really amazing autobiography.
  • SlashboiSlashboi Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    willdabeast21;1937592 said:
    Slash
    Slash's Self titled auto-biography
    great read
    I didn't even read this when I posted my comment!
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk - Legs McNeil
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;1937023 said:
    I've got "Sound Of The Beast" as well. My brother gave it to me as a birthday present. Got halfway through in Israel and now I've been stuck between school reading and Lovecraft (since I somehow hadnt read any of his stuff before, haha). It's a pretty good book, though has many inaccuracies (and it barely talks about doom/stoner). It's still fun, though, and gives a basic idea of which genres inspired which along with how certain movements got started.
    I laughed at the glaring inaccuracies of that book when my brother got it. Confessions of a Heavy Metal Addict is a great autobiography that, whilst being wildly inaccurate on the musical front for the most part, is witty and well-observed in its portayal of the hair metal scene.
  • DarkSide247DarkSide247 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I've read:
    Nirvana - The Biography (Everett True)
    Saucerful of Secrets - The Pink Floyd Odyssey (Nicholas Schaffner)
    Walk This Way - The Autobiography of Aerosmith (Aerosmith, Stephen Davis)

I'm also currently reading Close to the Edge: The Story of Yes by Chris Welch.
  • blackfeltfedorablackfeltfedora Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Reviewing this thread reminded me of another one I really liked.

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Van-Road-Black-Flag/dp/1880985764/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234753731&sr=8-4

Taken from Rollins diaries of his time with Black Flag, it is an interesting look inside the works of a band that took the DIY aesthetic and ran with it. The book also shows a side of Rollins that I am not so sure you get to see today.

----------------
    Now playing: Angra - The Temple of Hate
    via FoxyTunes
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    blackfeltfedora;1966856 said:
    Reviewing this thread reminded me of another one I really liked.

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Van-Road-Black-Flag/dp/1880985764/ref=pd_bbs_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234753731&sr=8-4

Taken from Rollins diaries of his time with Black Flag, it is an interesting look inside the works of a band that took the DIY aesthetic and ran with it. The book also shows a side of Rollins that I am not so sure you get to see today.

----------------
    Now playing: Angra - The Temple of Hate
    via FoxyTunes
    Agreed. that is a great book.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited February 2009
    I recently read Scar Tissue, Anthony Kiedis' biography. There was some interesting stuff about the Chili Peppers but most of the book was about how he'd get high all the time. Then someone would convince him to go to rehab and he's stop for a while. But then something would trigger and he'd get high again for a while. Rinse, wash, repeat.