Who OWNS "Old Guns"?

HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
edited February 2009 in History of Rock
I can't seem to get any clear information on this. Who owns the rights and licensing for the Guns N Roses Albums released before Chinese Democracy? Which of the original members actually has the right to license or not license the songs? I always thought it was Axl, also why he owns the name, but I've heard some conflicting stuff.

Comments

• back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Since Axl slammed Activision for using Welcome to the Jungle and Sweet Child O' Mine, my guess is he owns it.
  • spongemonkey95spongemonkey95 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    I think Slash owns the big 3 (Sweet Child, Jungle, Paradise) and Axl owns the rest.
  • Spark008Spark008 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    spongemonkey95;1950420 said:
    I think Slash owns the big 3 (Sweet Child, Jungle, Paradise) and Axl owns the rest.
    U forgot the biggest of them all: "November Rain"
  • HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    spongemonkey95;1950420 said:
    Wait, no, cause didn't they have to license Jungle from Axl for GH3, which is why he got pissed that he gave it to them and then they went and used Slash's image all over it?
  • xX_Sandman_XxxX_Sandman_Xx Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Axl owns the rights.

Axl said: "Yes Slash was in Guns and on Jungle (and the whole I came to him for his riff is as much crap as him saying he brought Locomotive and Coma in as complete songs) and he has rights to perform it but not to be represented in this context in association with Guns. And since they weren't granted the license it'll take some sorting."

Source:http://web.gunsnroses.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081216&content_id=a1&vkey=news&fext=.jsp
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Spark008;1950428 said:
    U forgot the biggest of them all: "November Rain"
    'Completely written by Axl' my arse, that one.
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I OWN old guns, a MKIII Martini Henry rifle & a 54-bore five-shot percussion Webley Bentley type revolver
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited February 2009
    trick question:

i own the rights to old guns n roses

axl sold them to me for some dignity
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    xX_Sandman_Xx;1950619 said:
    Axl owns the rights.

Axl said: "Yes Slash was in Guns and on Jungle (and the whole I came to him for his riff is as much crap as him saying he brought Locomotive and Coma in as complete songs) and he has rights to perform it but not to be represented in this context in association with Guns. And since they weren't granted the license it'll take some sorting."

Source:http://web.gunsnroses.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081216&content_id=a1&vkey=news&fext=.jsp
    Wrong. Axl owns the name and the name only. The rights to the music belong to him and the songwriters jointly. That's why he's still pissed with Adler all these years later for Steven forcing his name onto some songwriting credits right before Appetite was released. It's also why Axl has , reportedly, re-recorded Appettite. Sweet Child has been done for sure but it's been speculation on the rest of it so far. If you read the statement you quoted in context, which is difficult with Axl's innane rambling, what Axl is *****ing about is that no one notified him or ran the idea of Guns music being used in the GH franchise. That's his beef.
    edited February 2009
    Lolicat;1950673 said:
    'Completely written by Axl' my arse, that one.
    That's probably true. Axl brought that song to the band pretty much completed before it was even Guns n' Roses. I wanna say it was around 1984, I'm too lazy to look it up right now :o. But it was done well before it was recorded and they played it live several times during the early days before Appetite was recorded. I know they did record a version of it for Appetite and decided against it being on the album for one reason or another.

I used to have a bootleg version of it on vinyl that was somewhere arounf 20 minutes long, took up the whole side. The other side had some live stuff from a club show if I remember right.

Axl is a loon there's no question, but he is a good songwriter.
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    AxlVanHagar;1951597 said:

Axl is a loon there's no question, but he is a good songwriter.
    The only problem is that he and Slash perfectly compliment eachother when it came to writing songs.
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Quinarvy;1953791 said:
    The only problem is that he and Slash perfectly compliment eachother when it came to writing songs.
    Always preferred the Axl & Izzy combo myself.
    edited February 2009
    King_Nuthin;1957016 said:
    Always preferred the Axl & Izzy combo myself.

QFT. And listening to what Izzy has done since leaving and Slash has done since leaving I sometimes wonder how much Slash really did bring to the mix other than some chemistry. Musically, it would seem, the other members of GnR perhaps guided Slash quite a bit. Either that or he and Scott Weiland just weren't meant to write songs together cause I just don't really anything guitar wise that comes close to anything he did in GnR.
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    AxlVanHagar;1957435 said:
    QFT. And listening to what Izzy has done since leaving and Slash has done since leaving I sometimes wonder how much Slash really did bring to the mix other than some chemistry. Musically, it would seem, the other members of GnR perhaps guided Slash quite a bit. Either that or he and Scott Weiland just weren't meant to write songs together cause I just don't really anything guitar wise that comes close to anything he did in GnR.
    Ok, I should probably change my original statement.

Axl-Izzy-Slash was a great writing trio.

I was also thinking of Civil War when I typed it, had I been thinking of...Pretty Tied Up, I would have said Izzy-Axl
  • sidman69sidman69 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    here is the answer to your question. Axl owns the name only and not the whole catalog and NOOO slash does not own the whole catalog. The rights are owned jointly by axl, slash and duff. Axls publishing is with a company called sanctuary records who is headed by doug goldstein who used to be GNR's manager in the 90's so if they want to license jungle they had to get permission from sanctuary, slash and duff, but i guess it varies from song to song in terms of who got song credits.
  • sidman69sidman69 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    but also remember mickey rorke thanked axl for getting them SCOM so he probably could have that in rock band.