Metallica Vs. Megadeth

Siege21392Siege21392 Rising Star
edited February 2009 in History of Rock
In your eyes who won? i would say Metallica wins because i like their songs better, but Megadeth almost would win in my mind because of their current stuff, Megadeth is doing pretty decent while Metallica just sux now, anyway who won in your mind?

Comments

• instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Is anyone else tired of this argument on every single youtube video related to either artist?

I prefer Metallica.
  • jgoshjgosh Super Star
    edited February 2009
    I like Metallica more, but Megadeth is awesome to. In terms of sales Metallica.
  • Siege21392Siege21392 Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    Without flaming your thread or your opinion or the very essence of "bands winning", I shamelessly voted Megadeth.
    "winning" as in your personal opinion, i probably could have worded it better
  • Ben-JamminBen-Jammin Banned
    edited February 2009
    I prefer Metallica, but it is very very close. I love both bands.
  • Gryphon6Gryphon6 Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Megadeth .I like both, but I find Mustaine's lyrics and the band's guitar and basslines more enjoyable
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited February 2009
    I like Megadeth more partially because the vocal delivery is more interesting. Hetfield is pretty monotone in most of his songs, but Mustaine really gets into it, for example: I Ain't Superstitious, Sweating Bullets, Peace Sells, and more. Also, Lars is a pretty boring drummer.
    edited February 2009
    this is how i put it, when it comes to metal, Megadeth wins hands down, they are faster and mustaine is a better singer, but, when it comes to songs, i personally like metallica better, because i really like their slower songs such as the unforgiven and fade to black, though i definetly think megadeth is a more talented band
  • SquaretrianglesSquaretriangles Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Oscar-Rio;1951957 said:
    Megadeth. I don't like metallica's lyrics.
    ......It's metal. -_-

Megadeth. Metallica sounds quite bland and monotonous, while Megadeth borders on prog, with some more experimental stuff. Lots more musicality and technical skill on Megadeth's side as well.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited February 2009
    Megadeth is more creative. Metallica covered a bit of hard rock and some generic thrash tunes; while Megadeth has roamed hard rock, thrash metal and speed metal. Plus, Megadeth have more consistency (as well as better songwriting), imo.
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    In terms of sales? Metallica owned Megadeth so hard it's not even funny.

In terms of preference? I like Metallica more, but to each his own.
  • Blackjack041277Blackjack041277 Der Lindwurm
    edited February 2009
    Metallica won in terms of fame and commercial success, obviously.

Megadeth won if you ask me in just being the far more enjoyable of those two bands.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Im sure Dave Mustaine will never ever have to work again in his life, if he wanted to. That being said I highly disagree with Metallica being monotonous.
  • theantkid12theantkid12 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I didn't think of this thread making it this far without crumbling into utter chaos and distruction.

But it hasn't yet, and I like Megadeth more.
  • Hastyl3Hastyl3 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Siege21392;1952144 said:
    this is how i put it, when it comes to metal, metallica wins hands down, they are faster and mustaine is a better singer
    lolwut??? Mustaine's in Megadeth.

That being said, I like Megadeth more. Metallica really gets boring after a month or two. Megadeth changes up the formula every so often but keeps it metal. Metallica keeps a boring pattern going. Also, Master of Puppets and Death Magnetic have some of the worst drum fills I've ever heard(Although they are pretty solid albums).
    edited February 2009
    Squaretriangles;1952186 said:
    ......It's metal. -_-

I definitely think metal tends to have not-so-great lyrics, but I think the writing on Master of Puppets (album) is actually pretty clever.
  • SevinWoohooSevinWoohoo Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Megadeth. They're just better in every aspect compared to Metallica.

P.S. Record sales don't a band good. They make them popular. HURR HURR.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    instantdeath999;1952745 said:
    I definitely think metal tends to have not-so-great lyrics, but I think the writing on Master of Puppets (album) is actually pretty clever.
    Eh, to each his own. I really like the lyrics of some Black Metal songs.
  • SquaretrianglesSquaretriangles Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Bloody death/
    Demons that roam in the night/
    Die, die, die.

Put it to music and it's a metal song.
    edited February 2009
    lolwut??? Mustaine's in Megadeth
    lol typo woops my bad i meant megadeth, when it comes to thrash megadeth wins
    edited February 2009
    back_blows;1952759 said:
    Eh, to each his own. I really like the lyrics of some Black Metal songs.
    I didn't say all Black Metal had bad lyrics. Honestly, I'd say there are much more bad lyrics than good out there, so it's by no means limited to metal.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited February 2009
    What? Metal is full of great lyricsm. :confused:
    edited February 2009
    Gowienczyk;1952788 said:
    What? Metal is full of great lyricsm. :confused:
    As is every genre. It was unfair for me to say that, since every genre have horrible lyricists. I was mainly targeting the "sterotypical" metal lyrics.
    edited February 2009
    SevinWoohoo;1952753 said:
    Megadeth. They're just better in every aspect compared to Metallica.

P.S. Record sales don't a band good. They make them popular. HURR HURR.
    While I agree, how else do we gauge who "won"? Mustaine said himself he wanted to create a band that would trump Metallica sales.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Well, both took a dive at relatively the same time, and both suck now. Megadeth had more good albums than Metallica (5 or 6 vs 3 IIRC), so Megadeth.
    edited February 2009
    My name is Fez;1952817 said:
    While I agree, how else do we gauge who "won"? Mustaine said himself he wanted to create a band that would trump Metallica sales.
    Well, personally, I think it's a bit dumb to decide who "wins". Like Nick Cave, I don't think music is made to be put into direct competition with others.
    edited February 2009
    instantdeath999;1952842 said:
    Well, personally, I think it's a bit dumb to decide who "wins". Like Nick Cave, I don't think music is made to be put into direct competition with others.
    Yeah I know. The OP even said that wasn't what he was amiing for and should've used different wording.

I just wanted to be a counterpointing ass.
  • Hastyl3Hastyl3 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    My name is Fez;1952817 said:
    Well, for a moment in time, Megadeth did beat out Metallica in sales(Peace Sells/SFSGSW Era) but Metallica threw them off the sales mountain at it's peak when they released the Black Album.
    edited February 2009
    I think Metallica has some really ****ing great lyrics. Fight Fire with Fire is everything you could ever want in a thrash metal song; Dyers Eve for more reflective lyrics; Damage, Inc for some good ol esoteric brutality.

I still like Megadeth more, though.
    edited February 2009
    Hastyl3;1952907 said:
    Well, for a moment in time, Megadeth did beat out Metallica in sales(Peace Sells/SFSGSW Era) but Metallica threw them off the sales mountain at it's peak when they released the Black Album.
    Metallica will always win with their sales because of name alone. I dont mean name recognition but the fact that everyone who wants to delve into "harder" music buys a METALlica album because they must be heavy METAL, its in their name, right? If Metallica's name was something like Flotsam and Jetsam they wouldnt be even close to as popular as they were/are.

Im not underminding their skill as musicians or their hard work, but they shot off into the heavens in terms of sales for where they shoulda been. (see Testament, Megadeth, etc...) I do love their first 4 albums a lot.
    edited February 2009
    Onslaught_fei;1952912 said:
    I think Metallica has some really ****ing great lyrics. Fight Fire with Fire is everything you could ever want in a thrash metal song; Dyers Eve for more reflective lyrics; Damage, Inc for some good ol esoteric brutality.

I still like Megadeth more, though.
    I'd like to throw in "Leper Messiah", "Harvester of Sorrow", "Disposable Heroes", and "Creeping Death".