Dream Theater/Zappa Plays Zappa to headline Prog Nation Tour

AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
I am so there. Zappa Plays Zappa FTW!!:cool:

From bravewords.com
New York progressive metal veterans DREAM THEATER will take their Progressive Nation tour back on the road for its second incarnation with a run through America and Canada in July/August 2009.

In addition to a headlining set by Dream Theater, this year's package will feature the outstanding musicianship of ZAPPA PLAYS ZAPPA as well as two incredibly talented imports from Sweden: PAIN OF SALVATION and BEARDFISH.

Progressive Nation was created by Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy and its successful inaugural run in 2008 also featured OPETH, BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME and THREE.

Portnoy once again hand-picked all of the bands for the 2009 bill based on their diversity and musicality. He comments: "This year's lineup is so exciting for me. Every band is bringing something very unique to the package to create an incredibly well rounded musical experience. I am just as excited to be watching all the bands from the side of the stage as I am to be performing with mine in the center of it!"

Fresh on the heels of his Grammy win, Dweezil Zappa is pleased to announce his plans to join forces with Dream Theater as part of the Progressive Nation 2009 tour: "It's no secret that I started Zappa Plays Zappa with the intention to diversify and expand the audience for my father's music. I figured I'd probably have to do it one concert at a time. Playing with Dream Theater on the Progressive Nation tour is a great way to accomplish that goal. Music fans who are seeking something to challenge their senses should definitely consider attending this great bill."

Portnoy adds, "It is an absolute honor for me to have Zappa Plays Zappa on board. Frank Zappa is one of my all-time biggest heroes and his music practically invented the term 'progressive'. Dweezil is doing an amazing job carrying on the tradition of his father's daring spirit and like his dad, has surrounded himself with a band of jaw-dropping, incredible musicians"

Sweden's Pain Of Salvation will bring their unique brand of cutting-edge progressive metal to PN09. Vocalist/Guitarist Daniel Gildenlow comments: "We are truly very happy to be part of the PN09 tour, and to be back in the States again and bring all the sweat and flesh to our music and our well deserving American fans. We feel honored to have been asked."

Gildenlow also joked, "Actually, Mike has been on our backs now for two years in what we believe to be a personal campaign, bordering on harassment, to make us come over. So when he asked us about PN09, it was a joy to finally be able to say yes. And if Mike didn't give up on us, then hopefully America hasn't either."

Vocalist/Keyboardist Rikard Sjöblom of Beardfish is equally excited: "When we read on a website that Mike Portnoy had our album "Sleeping in Traffic Part 1" among his favorite releases of 2007, we just couldn't believe it and we were really happy about it! And now we once again gasp for air since we've been asked to join Progressive Nation 2009 together with Dream Theater (one of the biggest bands in this genre today!), Pain Of Salvation (hey, fellow Swedes!!!) and Zappa Plays Zappa (being a HUGE Zappa fan myself, I think this is really cool!). Since we've only played the US once before we simply can't wait to come over and rock out!"

Progressive Nation will be the first North American tour for Dream Theater in support of their newest Roadrunner Records release which is slated for a June 2009 release.

Comments

• a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited February 2009
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Somehow I thought you'd like this news schiz. :D

And countdown for hungryfreak

• a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited February 2009
    AxlVanHagar;1957525 said:

now, i need to buy tickets!!
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Ditto. I'll post dates as soon as I get some, you do the same if you beat me to the punch on that info.
  • DarkSide247DarkSide247 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Can't wait for dates, I'd love to attend this.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Must see dates must go (the prog. fanatics on the forums will flock here at least me Schizoidman and Hungryfreak will :D)

In english I must get tickets for this show with the line-up it already sounds great

continuing your countdown

• HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    AxlVanHagar;1957525 said:

1! This is beyond the need for counting! Needless to say Im thrilled :).

Not the biggest Dream Theater fan, but I like some of there stuff and I've been meaning to see Zappa Plays Zappa again. Hopefully this will also expose unwashed Dream Theater fans to Zappa. Haven't heard the other two bands but I'm willing to give them a listen.
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;1957625 said:
    1! This is beyond the need for counting! Needless to say Im thrilled :).

Not the biggest Dream Theater fan, but I like some of there stuff and I've been meaning to see Zappa Plays Zappa again. Hopefully this will also expose unwashed Dream Theater fans to Zappa. Haven't heard the other two bands but I'm willing to give them a listen.
    I have yet to hear of the other 2 bands either although IMO

Progressive Rock = Favorite genre
    Dream Theater = Awesomeness
    Zappa = Awesomeness
    so
    Dream Theater + Zappa + more progressive rock bands = Omega awesome greatness
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited February 2009
    This sounds like a nice tour line up to me. I know all the bands and if it's going through Ohio, I'll be there hopefully.
  • Tono_FyrTono_Fyr Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    PAIN OF ****ING SALVATION.

I screamed like a little girl when I saw that this morning. I opened up the link and well, you prob ably know the rest.

For the guys who are only excited by ZpZ and DT, Pain of Salvation is pretty excellent. "Be" and "Remedy Lane" are both absolutely stellar albums.

Another edit Having already seen Dream Theater once, I'm actually most excited to see Pain of Salvation, as I was almost certain they'd never return to the United States. But I guess with the passing of Bush, Gildenlow decided he'd be all right here :P
  • ToddRBToddRB Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    I can't wait to go to one of these shows, I mainly want to go to see Dream Theater, and I just know they're gonna be awesome
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    So do they have any actual prog on this tour, or is it a bunch of ****ty nerd metal bands (aside from zappa, of course).
    edited March 2009
    Soror_YZBL;2055739 said:
    So do they have any actual prog on this tour, or is it a bunch of ****ty nerd metal bands (aside from zappa, of course).
    All groups are either Prog. or Prog. Metal

Dream Theater organize these every year last one was with Opeth
  • Sir_PhobosSir_Phobos Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    I saw last year's tour in the Twin Cities. All four bands were awesome (DT, Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, 3). I am less excited about this year's.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Fizzeler;2056731 said:
    All groups are either Prog. or Prog. Metal

Dream Theater organize these every year last one was with Opeth
    Neither of whom is prog. Prog metal is a completely different beast, and unfortunately, it's pretty much what you get when you look for modern prog. I guess I'll be sitting at home listening to Porcupine Tree and the Frost rather than subject myself to the pain of "prog" nation.
  • fireshoesfireshoes Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    Poor you. :rolleyes:
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
    Pain of Salvation is progressive in the purest form of the word....
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Soror_YZBL;2057184 said:
    Neither of whom is prog. Prog metal is a completely different beast, and unfortunately, it's pretty much what you get when you look for modern prog. I guess I'll be sitting at home listening to Porcupine Tree and the Frost rather than subject myself to the pain of "prog" nation.
    Porcupine Tree is one of my all time favorite bands. Steve Wilson works closely with Mikael Akerfeldt. Even as deep as producing, playing instruments, and singing backup vocals on Opeth albums.
  • metalhead27metalhead27 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    This is always a good tour. Hope I can make it this year.