History of Rock for Feb 13 and Feb 14

AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
edited February 2009 in History of Rock
Feb 13

1956 - DJ Alan Freed signed a contract with Coral Records to compile and promote 4 dance party albums over the next 12 months.

1961 - After many years signed to Capitol Records, Frank Sinatra launched his own Reprise label under Warner Brothers. Given Sinatra's open and often quoted dis-taste for rock music it was ironic that Reprise, in later years, would be the home to rock icons such as The Beach Boys, Jimi Hendrix, The Kinks, Neil Young and Joni Mitchell.

1966 - The Rolling Stones appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show in New York.

1972 - A headlining show at the Spectrum in Philedelphia is Alice Cooper's biggest crowd to date, 18,000.

1973 - Another compilation from The Rolling Stones, More Hot Rocks (big hits and fazed cookies) hits #9 in the US

1973 - Alice Cooper are in rehearsals for the Billion Dollar Babies Tour. Mick Mashbir is brought in to augment Glen Buxton and Bob Dolin plays keyboards.

1974 - Bob Dyaln ended his US Tour with The Band by playing a show at the Forum in Los Angeles. Many of the tracks that appear on his live album Before The Flood were recorded at this show.

1977 - The Police record their first single , Fall Out, at Pathway Studios.

1979 - The police begin work on their second album Surrey Sound Studios.

1980 - Thin Lizzy leader Phil Lynott married Caroline Crowther.

1981 - Dark Side Of The Moon, the Pink Floyd album released in March 1973, became the holder of the title 'longest - charted rock album in history'. It has just completed its 402nd week in the Billboard chart. Only 2 other albums had remained longer on the chart, Johnny Mathis' Johnny's Greatest Hits and the original cast recording from My Fair Lady. By mid- 1985 Dark Side Of The Moon will have accumulated a whopping 560 weeks on the chart making it the un-disputed champion, but it will not have gone Platinum despite selling over 10 million copies because the RIAA did not give out Platinum Awards to records released before 1976!!

1982 - Black Sabbath is at # 32 in the US charts with Turn Up The Night

1987 - Metallica finally end their Master Of Puppets World Tour in Gothenburg Sweden.

1988 - I see Alice Cooper for the 2nd time in two nights in London ON on his Raise Your Fist And Yell World Tour. I saw him the previous night in Toronto at Maple Leaf Gardens. Motorhead opened both shows. :cool:

1989 - Def Leppard perform at the 8th Annual BRIT Awards.

1990 - A lawsuit between CBS Records and Boston founder Tom Scholz begins in White Plains NY. CBS is suing Scholz for reneging on a contract that required 10 albums in 5 years. Scholz is countersuing claiming millions in royalties.

1990 - A sexual assault suit bewteen Wanda Lee Nichols and David Bowie is dismissed by a Dallas Federal Judge. Bowie admits to spending the night with her but maintains he did assault her. Nichols claimed that Bowie had sexually assaulted her in "Dracula - like fashion" after a show during Bowie's Glass Spider Tour.

1990 - Alice Cooper's House Of Fire doesn't quite set the charts on fire, it peaks at US #56 and UK #65.

Feb 14

1961 - The Beatles play at Liverpool, England’s Casanova Club and are captured on film for the first time.

1968 - Frank Zappa announces he’s working on two films with his Mothers of Invention. Uncle Meat doesn’t see the light of day until 1987, while a proposed Japanese monster movie never comes to fruition.

1970 - The Who record The Who Live At Leeds at , where else, Leeds University in Yorkshire.

1972 - John Lennon and Yoko Ono begin their week long hosting duties of The Mike Douglas Show. Among the guests are Chuck Berry and Black Panther Bobby Seale.

1973 - David Bowie collapses from what his promoter calls “total exhaustion” following a Valentine’s Day show at Radio City Music Hall. Ironically this was the opening night of the US leg of the Tour.

1977 - The B-52s gives its debut performance at a Valentine’s Day party in Athens, Ga.

1981 - Billy Idol quits the band Generation X to pursue a solo career. The groups co-founder , Tony James, will go on to form Sigue Sigue Sputnik.

1981 - Ian Gillan's Mutually Assured Destruction peaks at #32 in the US.

1984 - Joe Perry and Brad Whitford see Aerosmith backstage at show in Boston and the group agrees to reform.

1986 -Frank Zappa appears on the TV show Miami Vice. He appears as “Mr. Frankie,” a crime boss with impeccable facial hair.

1986 - Motley Crue play London’s Hammersmith Odeon. Andy McCoy from Hanoi Rocks and Brian Connolly from Sweet watch the show. After the show, Nikki Sixx and McCoy go in search of scoring some heroin. They find a dealer on the street that shoots Nikki up inside a house, as he is already feeling too wasted to inject. Nikki passes out while Andy tries to wake him up by putting ice in his pants, followed by the dealer attempting to revive him by hitting him all over with a baseball bat. When that doesn’t work, the dealer carries him outside on his shoulder to throw him into a trash dumpster. Nikki vomits on his shoes and is revived.

1987 - Bon Jovi started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with Livin’ On A Prayer, the groups second US # 1, a # 4 hit in the UK.

1987 - We're Ready hits #9 in the US and returns Boston to the large venue live circuit it had in the 70's.

1990 - The Rolling Stones played the first of ten nights at the Korakuen Dome, Tokyo, Japan. The shows were seen by over 500,000 fans, making the band $20 million

1992 - The movie Wayne's World is released featuring cameo's by Meatloaf and Alice Cooper while Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody is prominently featured in it. Other artists featured on the film's soundtrack include Cinderella, Bullet Boys, Gary Wright, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eric Clapton, Black Sabbath and Jimi Hendrix.

1994 - The Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia marries Deborah Koons.

1998 - Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson-Lee stay in Las Vegas to celebrate Valentines Day and attend the final show of The Rolling Stones tour the following night. After a bottle of Dom, a tipsy Pamela gets upset about her state and being away from baby son Dylan, who is no longer being breast fed. Tommy hits Pamela for the first time, as he gets mad with her not spending enough time with him, choosing to instead spend it with their kids and her parents, who Pamela recently flew in from Canada to help out with the children.

1999 - Lenny Kravitz scored his first #1 single in the UK with Fly Away.

2000 - Kiss announce their farewell tour. The reunited foursome will don the makeup one last time, then sell off the stage props from a 30-year career in an auction.

2002 - Mick Tucker, drummer from Sweet, dies after a lengthy battle against leukemia. He is 54.

2004 - Dave Holland, former drummer with Judas Priest was jailed for eight years for indecent assault and the attempted rape of a 17-year old boy. The youth, who had learning difficulties, had been taking drum lessons from Holland.

Comments

• sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    But as we know, it was all a bull**** lie, and Kiss are still together. :D

And the Motley Crue one is nice.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    sonicnerd23;1959482 said:
    But as we know, it was all a bull**** lie, and Kiss are still together. :D
    Ahh but according to Gene it wasn't, it was the last time for the original 4 members of KISS so it was in fact a farewell tour. :rolleyes:
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited February 2009
    I never knew that about the Judas Priest drummer. :eek:
    edited February 2009
    Julio_Strikes_Back;1959525 said:
    I never knew that about the Judas Priest drummer. :eek:

Yea that's harsh.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    AxlVanHagar;1959517 said:
    Ahh but according to Gene it wasn't, it was the last time for the original 4 members of KISS so it was in fact a farewell tour. :rolleyes:

True that.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I'm actually glad to read that about the Priest drummer. The way I heard it I thought it was much worse. I read it as he was in jail for 'abusing a minor'. Sure, it doesn't sound much better there, but 17 =/= a minor other than the fact it was a homosexual relationship. Still raped the poor kid though. I wish I could get more information than the kid had 'learning difficulties', because it seems inserted into the mix to make Holland look much worse, when it could be something that hardly impacts on the case.
    edited February 2009
    Lolicat;1959652 said:
    I'm actually glad to read that about the Priest drummer. The way I heard it I thought it was much worse. I read it as he was in jail for 'abusing a minor'. Sure, it doesn't sound much better there, but 17 =/= a minor other than the fact it was a homosexual relationship. Still raped the poor kid though. I wish I could get more information than the kid had 'learning difficulties', because it seems inserted into the mix to make Holland look much worse, when it could be something that hardly impacts on the case.
    Yea that's a good point Loli, I'm not too sure on the finer details on the case either. Like you I've been aware of it but kinda wished there wwas a little more info out there.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    AxlVanHagar;1959725 said:
    Yea that's a good point Loli, I'm not too sure on the finer details on the case either. Like you I've been aware of it but kinda wished there wwas a little more info out there.
    From what I know, Holland and another guy who was cleared of all charges were both accused of indecent assault, and Holland had a count of rape against him. The kid (unnamed due to legal reasons) wrote all this in a letter to his parents. He was in a wheelchair and used to stay over at Holland's house for drum lessons.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Cool information like always Axl, the last one was a bit of turn though.