Godspeed You! Black Emperor

My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
edited February 2009 in History of Rock
Tried searching, couldn't find any Godspeed threads, and as such I made one =D

So, about 3 or 4 years ago I heard of this band and more specifically, Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven.

I gave it a listen, and I won't say I was unimpressed, but it went WAY over my head.

I have since heard afterstasis and a few others mention it and how awesome it is, and I figured I would give it another spin.

Holy bajebus.

Quite the beautiful record, I'd say. Quite unlike anything I've ever really gotten into before, but I think that's what makes the experience so gratifying. That and it's just ****ing awesome in general.

I'd rather not go into a tl;dr rant, so pretty much this is a thread to promote discussion of GY!BE and all of their awesomeness.

BEGIN O_O

Comments

• LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I have Godspeed's F#A#infinity. As post-rock goes, it's not my favourite, but certainly I give it a listen now and then. I prefer bands that move away from classical sounds rather than towards them.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    i first heard them in '98. i was still pretty wet behind the ears in regards to music so "out there", but was transfixed by "dead flag blues".

a year later when driving in an unfamiliar town i gave "slow riot for new zero kanada" my first listen and had to pull over to cry and give it my full attention. GYBE would be my favorite band for quite some time after this day.

if you enjoy GYBE please be sure to give the other constellation records bands a try.
  • benson111benson111 Eater of Fine Cupcakes
    edited February 2009
    I did an album review of them. :)
    edited February 2009
    benson111;1960466 said:
    I did an album review of them. :)
    which album's your favorite, benson?

mine goes back and forth between "lift your skinny fists" and "slow riot".
    edited February 2009
    afterstasis;1960567 said:
    which album's your favorite, benson?

mine goes back and forth between "lift your skinny fists" and "slow riot".
    I have to say "Lift Your Skinny Fists". It really is a master work. ;)
    edited February 2009
    benson111;1960578 said:
    I have to say "Lift Your Skinny Fists". It really is a master work. ;)
    have you checked out any a silver mt zion stuff? i think the first two albums are on par with godspeed's finer moments.
    edited February 2009
    The review in question....

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99380

I am currently checking out the Mt. Zion now. :)
    edited February 2009
    benson111;1960589 said:

I am currently checking out the Mt. Zion now. :)
    let me know what you think! i'd put "he has left us alone" right up there with "lift your skinny fists" and "slow riot", and that's a really big deal in my book! :)

their more recent albums incorporate way more vocals and that can turn a lot of people off, but they're still definitely worth checking out.
    edited February 2009
    Born into Trouble as the Sparks Fly Upward is pretty interesting so far...
    "Sisters! Brothers! Small Boats of Fire Are Falling from the Sky!" is a great tune from it.

Has an asian feel to it. Ireally like it allot!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-obKx7i15M
    edited February 2009
    glad you dig it, benson.

just so everyone knows, constellation keeps all of their stuff up for full streaming on last.fm.
    http://www.last.fm/tag/constellation%20records
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    After seeing this thread, I went on to last.fm and gave Dead Flag Blues a listen, and I gotta say it piqued my interest, I'll definitely be checking out some more by them.