Ten Albums ( Rock Edition ) that are a must have for any collection.

benson111benson111 Eater of Fine Cupcakes
edited February 2009 in History of Rock
1. Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon.
A must have for any one. This is just a fantastic album, and should be issued at birth to everyone.
My review of the album is here
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100331

2. Black Sabbath - Paranoid.
I have not done a review of Sabbath, because i feel i couldn't do them any justice. This was my introduction to Heavy Metal when i was younger, and i have been hooked ever since. Sure there might be a better Sabbath album in your eyes, and feel free to disagree with me if you must, but you have to admit that there isn't a bad tune on the album.

3. Ozzy - Diary Of A Madman.
As you can tell Ozzy is my favorite artist. I can understand if you are not a fan, But this album is indeed a must have.
Here is my review of the album
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105748

4. Deep Purple - Machine Head.
Just because!
Here is my album review.
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99580

5. Truckfighters - Gravity X
The best band you have never heard of. This is what happened when Sabbath and Deep Purple got together and had some kid they locked in a studio until he produced this. Great stuff, and i hope to hear more. ( Picked up Phi another great album! )

6. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
Yea Yea, let the flaming begin, sorry that this is my opinion. This in my opinion is Zeps greatest album by far. Yes there are other good ones that should be owned as well. But every song is enjoyable on this album ( IV or Zoso is another good one with enjoyment all around but heavy rotation has ruined it for me )

7. AC/DC Highway to Hell.
This is another album that i think needs to be heard, even if you don't dig the band. When AC/DC came out, there was just nothing like them on the air. This album is the true high point in there discography. They have LOTS of solid stuff, and are an homage to themselves in every way. They hardly ever strayed from the musical style, with the few exceptions of bad production.

9. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
To me this band defined Post Rock, not that I am a Genre Whore. This album while introduced to me not long ago, has really delved me deeper into this Genre, and shown me that they are the true pioneers of the movement of post rock.
My review
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99380

10. Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies.
Another album i could not do justice with a review. I love this album with a passion. It really needs to be heard and seen in concert. Live Alice, is forever better than Studio Alice in my opinion.

Well here is my list of 10 albums that should be in your collection right now.
Hey if you agree or disagree that is cool, music is subjective, and the listener now what He/She likes.
I am only trying to show you ten albums that you should listen too.

I also have another 300 or so more album just off the top of my head that are at least MUST listen to's.

If you would, please list your ten albums of interest here.
Also, these are not my Top Ten Albums of all time, If you want i can make a list of my Top Ten Albums of all time ( In MY Opinion Of Course!! ) Or top 20 or top 100 whatever.

There is of course ALLOT of albums that could be listed here.

So have at it>

Comments

• schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited February 2009
    I have 3 of those...

I'll put up my list in a little while.
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    No Who = Loose. Plus I find 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' to be a far better album than Paranoid & I like LZ III more than II
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Not a bad list. Those are definitely some quintessentials, though it really only covers rock (not that that's a bad thing). Off the top of my head, here's a varied genre take on this (order does not mean anything):

1. Frank Zappa - We're Only In It For The Money
    A lesson in experimentation, concept albums and early progressive rock. Great fun, amazingly weird and an essential piece from an essential musician.

2. The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
    Perhaps the quintessential jazz album. Great jazz sound and instrumentation that can represent many aspects of the genre.

3. Death - Leprosy
    A great representation of metal at its finest. To represent the metal genre as a whole, I think death metal is perfect, taking most aspects of metal to an extreme.

4. Kraftwerk - Autobahn
    Representing electronic type music, Autobahn amazingly uses its simplicity to establish an atmosphere. In that sense, it also covers the territories of ambient, drone and of the like.

5. Johnny Cash - Johnny Cash With His Hot And Blue Guitar
    Johnny Cash is definitely needed to talk about country, being the one who's usually an exception to people's hate of the genre. This album is a fine representation of his work.

6. Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
    A great display of hip hop at its finest. Great lyrics and vocals that can be both serious and satirical, excellent use of sampling, nice use of beats that doesn't get too repetitive and the album is just overall fun.

7. The Melvins - Stag
    The Melvins broke many genre lines and Stag shows this the best, going all over the place in the course of one album. They bring record scratching to metal effectively, play a few more ambient/drony pieces, have a couple softer more grungy songs and more.

8. Gustav Holst - The Planets
    Though more modern than most classical out there, The Planets is still a classic and manages to set many different moods with the same orchestra and does well in basically representing the genre.

9. Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
    A good overall image for punk. Aggressive riffing, satirical anti-government lyrics, incorporation of certain elements from other genres (like surf rock) and plain old crazy fun.

10. Phil Ochs - I Ain't Marching Anymore
    Great American folk that demonstrates the power of the genre when it comes from the heart. You can feel what Phil Ochs feels through the music as well as the lyrics.

Meh, I don't like my descriptions too much and I didn't quite get every genre (somehow couldn't think of a blues album to use, haha), but I think this is an okay list that covers a lot of bases.
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I was listening to 'Leprosy' today. Awesome album, I love 'Pull The Plug'
  • VedicardiVedicardi Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    9. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

FUuuuuuuuuuuuck yes
  • benson111benson111 Eater of Fine Cupcakes
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;1969818 said:
    Not a bad list. Those are definitely some quintessentials, though it really only covers rock (not that that's a bad thing). Off the top of my head, here's a varied genre take on this (order does not mean anything):
    Yea thats why i put ( Rock Edition ) in the thread title.
    There are more to come...;)
    edited February 2009
    franticfish;1969735 said:
    No Who = Loose. Plus I find 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath' to be a far better album than Paranoid & I like LZ III more than II
    How about posting your list, instead of finding faults in mine. ;)
    edited February 2009
    Gah, must have mentally skipped over that, haha. I would say it's definitely a good representation of rock. I would still diversify it a bit, but those are definitely some essential albums
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;1969871 said:
    Gah, must have mentally skipped over that, haha. I would say it's definitely a good representation of rock. I would still diversify it a bit, but those are definitely some essential albums
    Thanks for the positive comments. I will add that it is heavy on the harder edge of rock, and that it does need diversity.

I also like your list as well, and what you posted is what i was looking for, a list that could show the diversity, as well as a look into what music people hold dear to them.
    edited February 2009
    Thank you. I might just make a more rock-based list later (though I will probably include rock-spawned genres, like metal and punk).
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Rock's finest albums? In no particular order, then;

1. Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited
    The moment at which Dylan really showed himself to be worthy of being called more than just a protest/folk singer.

2. Pixies, Surfer Rosa
    All of your alternative belongs to them, this is probably one of the most important albums in the development of alternative music, and a great influence for many, many artists beyond that.

3. Sonic Youth, Daydream Nation
    Pitchfork voted it the best album of the 80s, and I'm inclined to agree now and then. Sure, it's overlong at points, and I have my prefered Youth album, but this is the one where they really showed themselves as a force to be reckoned with, and thusly proved that prepared guitars, etc, were not just a gimmick.

4. Led Zeppelin, IV
    Although it's not something I ressurect on a regular basis, it's definately one of the most important albums in the development of rock music, and the band's defining moment. Unfortunate side effects was the increase of the band's money-grabbing tendencies, in despite of increased artistic control.

5. Patti Smith, Horses
    The best proto-punk album, because it shows that rock music wasn't just for the plebs, or just for the boys. Also, the likes of Redondo Beach hinted at things such as post-punk and New Wave when everyone else was still in diapers.

6. My Bloody Valentine, Loveless
    Where would shoegaze be without this album? Influential, whether or not I think it's as great as the chroniclers.

7. Sleater-Kinney, The Woods
    This album proves not only that punk is still going strong, but is one of the best albums ever made. The energy, the playing, all of it comes together to blow your speakers up and blow off your head, completely essential.

8. The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    Because if you haven't heard it, you're a bit off, aren't you? Sure, it's not the amazing album people are led to believe, but the influence and importance of the album is itself a reason to own it, because it greatly enriches your understanding of later developments in music.

9. Deep Purple, Live in Japan
    Best live album ever, even if I don't particularly enjoy the band. Never before or since has a concert been so clearly captured. Maybe if the crowd had given a rat's ass it might have been even better.

10. The Shins, Oh, Inverted World
    Just a personal favourite, really, this is a brilliant pop album, and I love the sunshine pop influences. Definately one more people should buy.
    edited February 2009
    I don't think he means the finest nor your favorite, but more the essential.
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;1970787 said:
    I don't think he means the finest nor your favorite, but more the essential.
    My list can still do that.:p All of those are essential.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    with the exception of "highway to hell" i dig all of those, so kudos!
    edited February 2009
    Lolicat;1970816 said:
    My list can still do that.:p All of those are essential.
    I guess so, haha. Im just pointing that out in case it would have influence on your list. Pretty nice list as well. I was going to put some Dylan or Beatles in there, but I figured that if you hadn't heard either band, ever, then you shouldn't even be possible, haha.
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;1970848 said:
    I guess so, haha. Im just pointing that out in case it would have influence on your list. Pretty nice list as well. I was going to put some Dylan or Beatles in there, but I figured that if you hadn't heard either band, ever, then you shouldn't even be possible, haha.
    Even a revisionist scumbag like me puts on Sgt. Pepper's... now and then. Dyaln is one of my all-time favourites though.

I can't believe I forgot Bowie though! But that's more of a favourite rather than something to own. Plus, he had too many to pick just one.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    actually, looking over the other lists there's only one album in each list that i don't care for (gustav holst and sleater-kinney along with the aforemention ac/dc album).

kudos for everyone! eat up!
    edited February 2009
    Well, they can't all be winners, haha. It was a toss up for me between a few, but The Planets tends to be an essential in more people's books (and is one of my favorites).
    edited February 2009
    Yea i wasnt going for the end all be all, just more of a , you should have these because they are what the are.

Like I said in my OP, these are albums that i find defining in there own right ( Not exact words ) they are just simple must haves.

Later I will post ten more, that are must haves, ( In My Opinion Of Course ) and then ten more, and so on and so on...:)
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited February 2009
    franticfish;1969735 said:
    Oh my god.

Oh my god.

Where have you been my whole life? Your avatar is amazing.

Can I hug you? Seriously, that is amazing.
  • idiotecidiotec Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Here is a pretty narrow list but since it is so hard to get down to 10, I figured I would go a different route. Others are covering some great albums in other genres of rock.

The Ramones - Ramones
    Sex Pistols – Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols
    The Clash - London Calling
    Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
    Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food
    Television - Marquee Moon
    Bauhaus - In the Flat Field
    The Smiths – The Smiths
    Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
    The Pixies – Doolittle
  • packerfan8675309packerfan8675309 Bladder of Steal
    edited February 2009
    i only count 9 albums on your list.
  • idiotecidiotec Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    packerfan8675309;1971527 said:
    i only count 9 albums on your list.
    That's OK, math is tough for a lot of people. :p
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    idiotec;1971563 said:
    That's OK, math is tough for a lot of people. :p
    That was the best possible response XD

OP's list is pretty good, although one thing I'd like to mention, "Just because!" is a pretty lame pitch for an essential album =p
    edited February 2009
    My name is Fez;1971597 said:
    That was the best possible response XD

OP's list is pretty good, although one thing I'd like to mention, "Just because!" is a pretty lame pitch for an essential album =p
    :o he he
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited February 2009
    I own three of the albums on your list, and all in all it's not a bad list. If I was going to say top 10 rock albums, I'd say:

1. The Clash- London Calling: Any real surprise what my #1 album would be? Honestly though, I find the album to be great, with different music styles blended together without feeling mashed together haphazardly. The lyrics were intelligently written, and the music compliments the writing very well.

2. The Who- Quadrophenia: There were a few Who albums I considered to put here, but in the end I went with Quadrophenia. Why? The musicianship is amazing and sets a great mood. Daltrey is singing with the most emotion on any Who album, and Townsend is writing the deepest lyrics he wrote.

3. Neil Young- Harvest: A great album that shows the genius of Neil Young. His lyrics, as always, are brilliant.

4. The Police- Outlandos D'Amour: I still find this to be The Police's best work, by far. The band had a slightly harder edge when making this album, but still showed a lot of the elements that made the band huge later on.

5. Dead Kennedys- Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables: The Dead Kennedys' debut album is still, I think, one of the best written albums ever. Biafra's lyrics are bitterly sarcastic, and the band plays intensely behind his snarling commentary.

6. Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon: While many of my favorite Pink Floyd songs are not found on this album, this album still remains Pink Floyd's most consistent album. Absolutely no filler to be found on this album, if you ask me.

7. The Bealtes- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: The Beatles were another band that I could've put a few albums on, but I decided to go with Sgt. Pepper's. This album was one of the first really popular concept albums, and the songs on the album flow together beautifully.

8. Black Flag- Damaged: This album is full of energy, which enthralls the listener. This album is hardcore punk, at its very raw, unpolished core, and that makes it great.

9. Tom Petty- Full Moon Fever: Tom Petty made a very strong album, with catchy guitar hooks and intelligent writing.

10. Bad Brains- Bad Brains: This album is another album that mixes different music styles with ease. Not many bands can pull off an album that combines aggressive hardcore punk and reggae, but Bad Brains pulls it off with great results.

Honorable Mention
    Bad Religion- No Control
    Metallica- Ride the Lightning
    Weezer- Weezer (Blue Album)
    Grateful Dead- American Beauty
    Frank Zappa- Apostrophe

Probably not going to write album reviews for a while now.
  • dalcytedalcyte Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Club Band--The Beatles. Overrated or not, this defined 60s popular music. It was done beautifully in all senses of the word. A Day in the Life is amazingly brilliant and without a doubt the best collaboration of John and Paul at the artistic peaks

2. Highway 61 Revisited--Bob Dylan. Once again, another definition of 60s culture. Truly Dylan's best. Really.

3. Aqualung--Jethro Tull. Well this is personal preference. You could go with Thick as a Brick also, but it fluctuates. Something with Tull belongs here, and Aqualung is one of the best examples of their brilliance. The album includes hard rock, prog rock, folk rock--incredibly well done and diverse.

4. OK Computer--Radiohead. I honestly have never gotten tired of Radiohead in general, let alone OK Computer. I define good albums by ones that you can always pop in and be excited to hear, and this one is that way for me and a lot of others. This album brought so much to the table musically, from the 3 part Paranoid Android to the bizzarre Fitter Happier to the creepy Climbing Up the Walls. Brilliant.

5. Exile on Main Street--The Rolling Stones. An album that really should get a lot more press than i feel like it gets. This album is really well done in all senses, and is exciting to listen to and presents the stones at their best and rawest.

6. Led Zeppelin II--Led Zeppelin. I agree with the first poster. Led Zeppelin II is the best. For me, it's either that or Physical Grafitti, but I really don't like some of the songs on it, so i have to go with II because i like every single song (though the Lemon Song wears on me after a while). Zeppelin here shows their best on this album in every which way...the guitar solo on Heartbreaker, the differentness on Whole Lotta Love..the fantastic drumming on Moby ****. Nuff said.

7. Born To Run--Bruce Springsteen. Another one of those albums that i just don't get tired listening to. I've heard born to run (the song) a bazillion times and still get pumped every time i hear it. This album IS BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN. It defines him, and i really like that definition. If you listen to Jungleland on a summer night looking up at the stars and not caring about anything just for a while, it's magic (bud um cshh)

8. Automatic For the People--R.E.M. I love R.E.M. and how they're the shining example of why the 80s really didn't suck that much. This album brings the best of them, at their peak. Bill's still around, they're all creative and producing good music...best album of theirs.

9. American Beauty--Grateful Dead. I'm tired of writing, and this one doesn't need any fortunately. Ripple, Box of Rain, Sugar Magnolia, Truckin, Brokedown Palace? Yeah. that's right.

10. London Calling--The Clash. I do want to put this one higher, but i don't have room for it. London Calling really was the defining punk album. Ever. It's amazing. Buy it now. If you have, buy it twice.
  • wolfbanewolfbane Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    queen- a day at the races
    the police-synchronicity
    u2- the joshua tree
    van morrison-moondance
    the beach boys-pet sounds
    the jimi hendrix experience-are you experienced?
    journey-escape
    bruce springsteen-the river
    john mayall and the blues breakers- blues breakers with eric clapton
    led zeppelin-led zeppelin
    edited February 2009
    wolfbane;1972929 said:
    queen- a day at the races
    the police-synchronicity
    u2- the joshua tree
    van morrison-moondance
    the beach boys-pet sounds
    the jimi hendrix experience-are you experienced?
    journey-escape
    bruce springsteen-the river
    john mayall and the blues breakers- blues breakers with eric clapton
    led zeppelin-led zeppelin
    Ignoring the fact that I disagree with most of the rest of the choices, could you explain why Led Zepp I? I mean, as debuts go I thought it was pretty weak, especially when one considers the heights to which the band soared later.
  • wolfbanewolfbane Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    WHOA didnt mean to step on toes. the post stated "list your top ten albums of interest here" people
    are taking these forums way to seriously lately