Music In Your Car

HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
edited February 2009 in History of Rock
For those of you who have their own cars, what CDs do you have in it? I am well aware that in the current generation, you can easily plug in iPods or mp3 players and I, in fact, do that as well, but there's something about having your own CDs in your car that adds a personal feel.

Today, I just finally christened the car by putting CDs into its six CD slots. The ones I chose:

Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe
King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon
Toxic Holocaust - An Overdose Of Death...
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Melvins - Stag

Comments

• DalamariDalamari Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    I've got my Zen hooked up in my car, so I've got about 2000 songs to pick from...

I usually end up listening to SRV though.
  • SatoshiSatoshi Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;1970419 said:

Do you have a seven CD changer or do you just keep more around in your car? If the former, then you're damn lucky. I had trouble limiting my collection down to jest 6 CDs, so even one more would have been good, haha.
    Na, I just keep my CD's in the car... they rotate slightly each week so each week I have different CD's to listen :cool:
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Ah, I see. It would have been cool, though, haha. I wont bother putting more CDs in the car, since the secondary purpose of the CDs is convenience (since I can't switch things around on my iPod while I drive). When it comes to switching, though, it's easier to use the iPod than switch around CDs, haha.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Currently in my vehicle is

Thin Lizzy - Live And Dangerous
    Doro Pesch - Fight
    Pat Benatar - Greatest Hits
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I have like, 5 or 6 CDs strewn in the backseat that I need to replace with something else. I don't even know what they are, because I have a bad habit of leaving only a handfull of CDs in there for about 4 or 5 months and getting ridiculously bored with it.

My stereo was stolen about a month ago, and I finally got it replaced this past Saturday, which, let me tell you, is ****ing AWESOME to have one back.

Which, while we're on the subject, my new stereo has an aux port on it, is that enough to plug an iPod in, or do I need some other inane accessory to accomplish that? *Has had a 10 year-old stereo until now*
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    i've got three books that carry 100 cd's each in my car.

the two joy division full-lengths have received seriously heavy play lately, along with "sgt peppers".
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    In my car right now are "Leviathan" by Mastodon, the "Symptom of the Universe" compilation of Ozzy era Sabbath, and a CD my older brother burned of various Mountain Goats songs (the same that first got me in to the band).
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    I'm too cool for CDs, I hook up my iPod.

I'm going to figure out some safe way to gerryrig my record player so I could vinyls playing in my car without scratching them.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    We're 3-4 people every morning and evening in the car so we decided to make a cd to rally our diverging tastes. Here is the list:

1. L’ours – Tricot machine
    2. L’hymne de nos campagnes – Tryo
    3. M’accrocher – Loco locass
    4. Dégénération – Mes Aieux
    5. Hurt – Johnny Cash
    6. Vertige –Karkwa
    7. War – Bob Marley
    8. Hallelujah – John Cale
    9. Snow (Hey Ho)– Red Chili Peppers
    10. En berne – Cowboys fringants
    11. Close to me – The Cure
    12. Un quart de piasse – Vincent Vallières
    13. Shut up – Black eyed peas (I know....)
    14. Angle mort – Kodiak
    15. Right Now (na na na) – Akon (god damn)
    16. Roundabout – Yes
    17. Stand by me - Ben E. King
    18. Entre deux taxis – Cowboys fringants

Can you tell which are my 4 choices?
    edited February 2009
    My name is Fez;1970962 said:
    Which, while we're on the subject, my new stereo has an aux port on it, is that enough to plug an iPod in, or do I need some other inane accessory to accomplish that? *Has had a 10 year-old stereo until now*
    It should work fine, so long as you have a cord to connect it.
  • seinmanseinman Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    In my car, I only use my iPod via the line in. In my brother's car, I only use my iPod, via a cassette adapter. In my dad's car, I keep a small stash of CDs because he doesn't have a line in... mostly mixes. Three of various artists, one of Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, and another of Fall Out Boy. The only actual album I have is "Give Up" by The Postal Service.

Edit: Oh! In my dad's car I also have a copy of "From the Screen to Your Stereo 2" by New Found Glory. It's only there because a friend left it over a year ago and has never asked for it back. Not a bad CD, though.
  • RainbowMistRainbowMist Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    My name is Fez;1970962 said:

No, that's all you need. (assuming you have a cord for it, obviously)

Edit: Ninja'd
    edited February 2009
    Ultimatum;1971049 said:
    I'm going to figure out some safe way to gerryrig my record player so I could vinyls playing in my car without scratching them.
    Tell me when you get that to work, haha.
    edited February 2009
    My music teacher might have some redneck left in him, in his 20s, he had a home sound system hooked up in his Jeep.
    edited February 2009
    Ultimatum;1971049 said:
    My turntable has a USB output, and I ripped all my albums to Apple Lossless files for my iPod. Of course it doesn't sound as good as just listening to the record, but it sounds better than CDs do if it's a new record, it wasn't compressed to hell in the mastering process, and I do the recording right.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Well I don't have a CD changer, but usually it goes like this

Fleetwood Mac - The Dance, Rumours
    Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin 1, 2, 3, and 4
    Jethro Tull - Original Masters
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    The Doors - Greatest Hits
    The Allman Brothers - The Best Of The Allman Brothers
  • classicrockdudeclassicrockdude Headliner
    edited February 2009
    right now i have

The Allman Brother Band= Eat a Peach

Pink Floyd= the Wall
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;1971085 said:
    It should work fine, so long as you have a cord to connect it.
    Score! Now I need to go find one. Too much music for one car ride ftw.
  • bood-boybood-boy Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Mike Patton MP3 CD...

Faith No More albums
    The Real Thing
    Angeldust
    Album of the Year
    King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime
    and selected singles

Mr. Bungle albums
    self-titled
    Disco Volante
    California

thats all i relly listen to in the truck. i dont drive a lot so it take weeks for it to go thru all the songs.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited February 2009
    well, i have a lot in there right now

but currently in the CD player:

The Bedlam In Goliath - Mars Volta
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited February 2009
    While I usually just listen to XM in the car (I tend to switch between the Boneyard, First Wave, Lithium, DeepTracks, and ClscVinyl a lot), I do have a few CDs at the ready should I get bored of the radio:

Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
    Can't Stand The Rezillos - The Rezillos
    Screaming for Vengeance - Judas Priest
    The Cars - The Cars
    Vol. 4 - Black Sabbath
    Anthology - Oingo Boingo
    The Head On The Door - The Cure
    The Sound of The Jam - The Jam
    edited February 2009
    XM went downhill when it merged with Sirius... I remember the days when Focus and Robin Trower got play time on the Top Tracks channel that's no longer with us. Classic Vinyl, that replaced it, really only plays Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and Blackfoot in my experience...
  • Tono_FyrTono_Fyr Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    20 or 30 CDs litter the backseat and floorboard of my car currently. Mostly because I don't have shelf space for them inside, nor do I have the time to organize them if I did.

Amongst those, I can think of a few off the top of my head...
    Biomechanical - Cannibalized
    Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
    Rush - Fly By Night
    Cynic - Focus
    Opeth - Still Life
    Wintersun - S/T
    Blind Guardian - A Twist In The Myth, Somewhere Far Beyond, Tales From The Twilight World
    edited February 2009
    Classic Vinyl sucks, Deep Tracks is still great though. Also, we got Jam On, the Grateful Dead channel, and Margaritaville in the merger.

I miss Eddie Trunk, he might have been a huge Hair fan, but he also gave a lot of lesser known stuff (in a mainstream radio sense) a chance on the station. I remember there were days when he played Overkill and stuff from Testament's The Legacy. I found out about some Power Metal bands on that station and he played some 80s Prog Metal too.
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;1971497 said:
    XM went downhill when it merged with Sirius... I remember the days when Focus and Robin Trower got play time on the Top Tracks channel that's no longer with us. Classic Vinyl, that replaced it, really only plays Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and Blackfoot in my experience...
    Really? ClscVinyl does play a lot more Zep than Top Tracks ever did, but I haven't noticed much of a programming shift since the merger, at least on this station. I actually just heard Hocus Pocus and a relatively obscure Procol Harum song (Robin Trower was their guitarist?) a few days ago.

And no matter how terrible XM/Sirius gets, it will never be as bad as FM radio. ;)
    edited February 2009
    True, it's just not as into the deep cuts, though, as it used to be, which is rather disappointing. If only they kept all of the stations on the merge instead of throwing out half.
    edited February 2009
    I always thought Top Tracks was more about the big hits, but that's just me. I usually tune into Deep Tracks for the deep cuts.
    edited February 2009
    Top Tracks was songs and albums that made it to the top 40s. You would think that it's just big hits, but it's surprised me a lot and brought up many forgotten bands.
    edited February 2009
    Don't get me started on how horrible XM is post-merger. I canceled my account last month, after having a subscription since February 2006. At first I was sad when they got rid of Fungus back in September-ish, but removing Lucy was the final straw. That, and to fit in all the "best of Sirius" crap, the audio quality dropped like a rock, and they ruined the traffic and weather channels by combining two cities to a channel. :'(

I chose XM over Sirius because of my opinions of the music channels, and now XM is just Sirius plus whatever used to be XM exclusive talk channels. I hate it.

Edit: And no, Lithium is NOT an acceptable alternative to Lucy. Lithium is a completely different channel that just happens to have a small amount of playlist overlap with what was once the incredibly awesome Lucy.
    edited February 2009
    seinman;1971729 said:
    Don't get me started on how horrible XM is post-merger. I canceled my account last month, after having a subscription since February 2006. At first I was sad when they got rid of Fungus back in September-ish, but removing Lucy was the final straw. That, and to fit in all the "best of Sirius" crap, the audio quality dropped like a rock, and they ruined the traffic and weather channels by combining two cities to a channel. :'(

I chose XM over Sirius because of my opinions of the music channels, and now XM is just Sirius plus whatever used to be XM exclusive talk channels. I hate it.

Edit: And no, Lithium is NOT an acceptable alternative to Lucy. Lithium is a completely different channel that just happens to have a small amount of playlist overlap with what was once the incredibly awesome Lucy.
    I agree with all of this. Heads rolled when I found out Fungus was replaced with the AC/DC channel. But I still think XM/Sirius beats the daylights out of terrestrial radio. Satellite radio has spoiled me; I do not think I could ever go back.