The Official NASCAR Thread

n4sc4rn4sc4r Road Warrior
edited September 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
I wasn't going to make on of these, but after seeing a decent amount of people talk about the Daytona 500 over the last two days, I decided to go ahead and make one.

In this thread it is my hope to discuss events happening in the biggest series' in NASCAR; the Sprint Cup Series. I will try my absolute best to keep events of the series updated.

Rules:
1. I would prefer to keep the "left turns sucks lolz" kind of posts to a minimum. If you are going to bash the league, please be a bit more creative than that.
2. Be subjective to others' opinions. There is no need to cause an argument that causes anyone to be banned or for this thread to be locked.
3. Have fun!

Comments

• n4sc4rn4sc4r Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Points Standings as of: Samsung Mobile 500
    1. Jimmie Johnson 1248
    2. Matt Kenseth -108
    3. Greg Biffle -128
    4. Kevin Harvick -141
    5. Jeff Gordon -220
    6. Kyle Busch -228
    7. Dale Earnhardt Jr. -235
    8. Jeff Burton -243
    9. Kurt Busch -249
    10. Mark Martin -254
    11. Denny Hamlin -275
    12. Joey Logano -307
    -----Chase for the Cup Cutoff------
    13. Tony Stewart -307
    14. Clint Bowyer -308
    15. Carl Edwards -311
    16. Ryan Newman -316
    17. Martin Truex Jr. -330
    18. Paul Menard -379
    19. Brian Vickers -413
    20. Scott Speed -417
    21. Jamie McMurray -425
    22. Kasey Kahne -427
    23. A.J. Allmendinger -442
    24. Juan Pablo Montoya -459
    25. Brad Keselowski -461
    26. Marcos Ambrose -463
    27. David Ragan -473
    28. Elliot Sadler -495
    29. Sam Hornish Jr. -517
    30. David Reutimann -525
    31. Regan Smith -568
    32. Bobby Labonte -568
    33. Travis Kvapil -599
    34. Robby Gordon -635
    35. David Gilliland -647
    36. Kevin Conway -758
    37. Max Papis -818
    38. Mike Bliss -847
    39. Joe Nemechek -905
    40. Dave Blaney -937
    41. Michael McDowell -955
    42. Bill Elliot -958
    43. Boris Said -996
    44. Aric Almirola -1094
    45. Michael Waltrip -1099
    46. David Stremme -1105
    47. Terry Cook -1130
    48. Scott Riggs -1169
    49. Casey Mears -1175
    50. Robert Richardson Jr. -1178
    51. John Andretti -1199
    52. Reed Sorenson -1202
    53. Johnny Sauter -1208
    edited February 2009
    NASCAR News:

- Hamlin pulls off the painful victory
    - Big wreck ruins the day for many drivers

Fantasy NASCAR Standings as of: Samsung Mobile 500
    Tridentgum0 - 5024
    Sadderday - 4894
    n4sc4r - 4473
    HeyRiles - 3801
    Topperharley - 3756
    Iamtheddrman - 3586

Fantasy NASCAR Teams:
    Sadderday:
    Tony Stewart
    Kasey Kahne
    Kyle Busch
    Kevin Harvick
    Jeff Burton

Tridentgum0:
    Mark Martin
    Carl Edwards
    Clint Bowyer
    Matt Kenseth
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Iamtheddrman:
    Jimmie Johnson
    Juan Pablo Montoya
    David Reutimann
    Casey Mears
    Elliot Sadler

n4sc4r:
    Ryan Newman
    Jeff Gordon
    Marcos Ambrose
    Joey Logano
    Brad Keselowski

Topperharley:
    Greg Biffle
    Kurt Busch
    A.J. Allmendinger
    Scott Speed
    Sterling Marlin

HeyRiles:
    Denny Hamlin
    Brian Vickers
    Jamie McMurray
    Martin Truex Jr.
    Boris Said
  • HPLabonteHPLabonte Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I'll post a California preview sometime soon, even though I completely hate California speedway
    edited February 2009
    Feel free to discuss. I shall update this later, for I have to go now.
    edited February 2009
    I hope Allmendinger makes the next 5 races, and is solidly in the top 35, and Hornish isn't.
    edited February 2009
    I have updated the thread with Truck & Nationwide stats as of now. I will probably add more later, but I have to go to bed right now.
    edited February 2009
    I haven't had a chance to take the Rock Band 2 car out for a lap at Auto Club Speedway yet (you'll see what I mean soon) but I'm going to write up my preview now.

In 2008, California Speedway was Renamed Auto Club Speedway of California, and hosted the second race of the season, the Auto Club 500. Carl Edwards won that race, his first of his season leading 9 wins. Jimmie Johnson would win the fall race, and go on to win the NASCAR Sprint Cup championship.

California Speedway is a two mile low banked speedway located in Southern California. It was built by Roger Penske as a sister track to Michigan Speedway in Brooklyn, Michigan. In 2004, it gained a second race date, taking the date of the Southern 500 from Darlington Raceway, and in 2005, California Speedway took North Carolina Speedway's date, the second race of the season.

This season looks to become an interesting one. Matt Kenseth leads the points coming into the Auto Club 500, with a rain-out win at Daytona. Kyle Busch is trying to recover from his wreck at Daytona, and Dale Earnhardt Jr looks to redeem himself from that race. Tony Stewart and Ryan Newman continue their mission to show that their new team is a force to be reckoned with. Hendrick Motorsports looks to rebound from its weak Daytona 500, and Richard Petty Motorsports looks to continue its success from Daytona with Sadler, Sorenson, and Allmendinger all running very well. The rookies Logano and Speed are going to have another chance to prove themselves, as they were both in the DNF file at Daytona.

Things to look for this week:
    Tony Stewart and Ryan Newman trying to get things done after an interesting speedweeks
    AJ Allmendinger attempting to qualify on speed
    Dale Jr. Redeeming himself after a bone-headed 500.
    Digger being beheaded on national TV (I wish)

My picks for the Auto Club 500:
    Win: Carl Edwards
    Dark Horse: Casey Mears
    Prediction: Kvapil and Allmendinger make the race
  • Jerome85Jerome85 Banned
    edited February 2009
    I JUST got home from Florida about 30 minutes ago. we drove a thousand miles from ohio lol. our seats were in between the exit of pit road and turn 1. It was fun besides the rain. Kenseth wouldn't have won that race if it went back green. i got a good laugh at junior "accidentally" taking out Vickers and wrecking the field. Way to make up for your bonehead move in the pits. anyways it was my first time at the 500, I got a lot of pictures and video, if anyone is interested, once i get the film back i can upload some of the pictures/video for yall.

see you @ the bristol night race
    edited February 2009
    Will Kenseth be the first driver since Jeff Gordon to win the first 2 races of the year?
    edited February 2009
    HPLabonte;1984348 said:
    Will Kenseth be the first driver since Jeff Gordon to win the first 2 races of the year?
    I'm gonna be honest here and admit that i doubt it.

One thing I'm curious to see this year is how well Martin Truex Jr. does. He made the chase two years ago, and was in contention last year before the penalty. He had a fairly strong speed weeks, though his finsih wasn't as well as I had hoped. I think he's gonna have a pretty good season. This could be biased by the fact that he's one of ym favorite drivers, though...

I'm also curious to see if "Wild Thing" Kyle Busch can keep up the winning spree. He kind of slowed down last year when it got late in the season. I believe that Chevy, Ford, and Dodge kind of caught back up to Toyota as the season went on, and now it's fairly even again. I think this season won't be nearly as good as last season for Kyle. The only reason he does so good now is because these cars can take harder hits than the old cars...

I also hope that A.J. Allmendinger makes the next 4 races and gets in the top 35, but as I remember it he's not a very good qualifier, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Also, it has come to my attention that Ron Hornaday was penalized after the Truck race. I'll edit that in the OP. Also, 3 crew chiefs in the Nationwide Series were fined.

With all of that out of the way, I shall make my race winning prediction for sunday. I'll probably get a bit of flack for this, but I'm going with Dale Earnhardt Jr. He's usually been decent here, and got screwed last year, wrecked during the sunday part of the race that was postponed because the track had leaking issues (which caused the wreck). He didn't have that great of a fall race, but if Tony Eury can keep his car handling well, he's known to be well at tracks like Fontana and Michigan. Also, he's got a lot to prove after the different headlines buzzing this week due to the wreck in the Daytona 500.

Now then, my dark horse pick is the guy I mentioned earlier, Martin Truex Jr. He's done well in races like this pretty consistently, and even brought his car home in sixth place last year in this very race.

Some other guys to watch are Tony Stewart, Joey Logano, and Kyle Busch. Tony's gonna be put to the test now as they see if Stewart-Haas Racing's cars are up to snuff in the normal kind of races. I'm curious to see how he and Ryan Newman do.

"Sliced Bread", the nick name coined an young Joey logano by Darrell Waltrip. Joey was looking pretty good during speed weeks after a very shaky Bud Shootout, and was pretty confident. Sadly, he was taken out in an early wreck and finished in 43rd. After a rough week like that I'm very curious to see if he can rebound and get his season started in the right direction. Also Scott Speed has to do the same thing.

Now then, Kyle Busch. Why did I put him on here? Well, he had a great season last year and a great car in the 500, but was taken out in a wreck. Many know that usually the first month or two of the season is a strong indicator of how the rest of the season will go. Kyle had a very strong Daytona 500 last year, and then followed up the next few weeks. This helped build momentum that would cause the amazing winning spree later in the year. But now, with a bad Daytona 500 finish, can he manage to rebound and get his season going the right way?
    edited February 2009
    It wouldn't surprise me if kenseth wins cali cause he runs well there, but I don't think that's gonna be the case this weekend. He's gonna have to outrun the 99 and the 48 to do it, and the way they dominated cali last year it's gonna be hard.

I think rowdy busch will be alright this year. him falling off at the beginning of the chase last year really wasn't his fault as a driver. you can hate the dood all you want but you know he's gonna be in the hunt for the win each and every week. as for the championship...who knows..they say you gotta lose won to learn how to win one.

now for junior, after daytona, he better come out swinging in cali. He didn't finish in the top 10 or lead a lap at either race last year. I see junior getting a top 10/top 15 this sunday. I don't see him winning but i would love to proven wrong though. who doesn't wanna see junior win?

smoke is my favorite driver so im always rooting for him. newman had a bad 500 id like to see him get a good finish in california. logano got a good 190 mph welcome to the sprint cup wall shot in daytona, it will be interesting to see if he can live up to the hype for the rest of the season. i think were all curious to see how well mark martin does this year. gordon has a new slick paint scheme, maybe we'll see it in victory lane a few times..i have no idea what 09 is going to bring, but im f*cking glad the season is here
    edited February 2009
    n4sc4r;1985453 said:

"Sliced Bread", the nick name coined an young Joey logano by Darrell Waltrip.
    One of the best nicknames I've heard, up there with "The Onion" Todd Bodine, and "The Fabulous Flourescent" Paul Menard
    edited February 2009
    Vickers on pole, engine change, has to go to the back of the field, so McMurray will be polesitter at Cali. Allmendinger, Mayfield, Nemechek, Kvapil make the race, Raines, Bodine, Marlin and Garvey amongst the guys who go home.

GO 96!!!!!!
    edited February 2009
    Busch won two races yesterday, the first time that's ever been done. Lets see if he can win all 3 races this weekend
    edited February 2009
    HPLabonte;1999390 said:
    Busch won two races yesterday, the first time that's ever been done. Lets see if he can win all 3 races this weekend
    Those wins were extremely dominant. It kind of makes me wonder... No offense to Kyle, but he isn't -that- good. Either the setups were just outstanding or there's something sneaky going on. I'm gonna hope it's not the latter.

I'll try to update everything after the cup race. (Gotta go to my nephews birthday party today. I bought him Mario Kart DS, hope he likes it!)
    edited February 2009
    n4sc4r;1999555 said:
    Those wins were extremely dominant. It kind of makes me wonder... No offense to Kyle, but he isn't -that- good. Either the setups were just outstanding or there's something sneaky going on. I'm gonna hope it's not the latter.

I'll try to update everything after the cup race. (Gotta go to my nephews birthday party today. I bought him Mario Kart DS, hope he likes it!)
    To say Kyle isn't that good is definitely not true, I am not a fan of the kid, but he runs well every week, probably shoulda won the 500, he just dominates, he's ridiculously talented. He's still a jerk, and I still hate him, but I know those two wins were legitimate.
  • iamtheddrmaniamtheddrman Merch-Table
    edited February 2009
    My fantasy team is kicking butt right now :)
    edited February 2009
    mines doin horrible!
    edited February 2009
    Kenseth gets 2 in a row!
    edited February 2009
    I'm glad I've got him on my team! I think I ended up with about 750 points this week.

Juan Pablo Montoya FTW! lol
    edited February 2009
    i didn't think he could do it. kenseth proved me wrong tonight. way to go 17

mark martin not finishing hurt me in my league..hopefully he runs better next week
    edited March 2009
    Sorry for not updating this in a while. The thread wouldn't load for some reason. I had almost forgotten about it when I remembered during the race. I updated the cup post with todays result. I'll try to get Nationwide and Camping World tomorrow.
    edited March 2009
    Great race today, I had off of work, and it was snowin so I watched it, and oh man, Labonte ran a great race, only to get it screwed up by Jimmie Johnson. Hope to see Labonte do even better at the track which he dominiated from 1996-2003! GO 96!
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2009
    I freaking hate Kyle Busch so hard
    edited March 2009
    HeyRiles;2034228 said:
    I freaking hate Kyle Busch so hard
    Yet he's so undeniably talented. Gaahhhh!!!!!!!!
    I hope he goes to F1 and just kicks everyone's butt over there, so he stops doing it in the Sprint Cup
    edited March 2009
    HPLabonte;2034263 said:
    Yet he's so undeniably talented. Gaahhhh!!!!!!!!
    I hope he goes to F1 and just kicks everyone's butt over there, so he stops doing it in the Sprint Cup
    I'd like to see Busch-Raikkonen racing for Ferrari. That would be utter DOMINATION.

I missed the race today. I woke up really late, then had friends come over.
    edited March 2009
    i thought the race today was good..weird but good. i have rowdy on my fantasy league team so im fine with him winning. im still pissed marky mark had an engine go...again. looks like i will be starting burton instead of mark martin at atlanta and definitely bristol to make up for the past two weeks. kyle won the first atlanta race last year so i think he can pull off another win next week. i do gotta point out junior getting a top 10 today. im glad he was able to fight his way back up after going a lap down from speeding. we all want junior to do well. i am kinda disappointed that smoke finished where he did...thought he was a top 10 car for sure. oh well can't wait for atlanta.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2009
    I'm kinda sick of Junior myself. He's clearly the favorite general driver in all of NASCAR but he wouldn't even rank in the top 10 drivers in terms of ability
    edited March 2009
    Jerome85;2034489 said:
    i thought the race today was good..weird but good. i have rowdy on my fantasy league team so im fine with him winning. im still pissed marky mark had an engine go...again. looks like i will be starting burton instead of mark martin at atlanta and definitely bristol to make up for the past two weeks. kyle won the first atlanta race last year so i think he can pull off another win next week. i do gotta point out junior getting a top 10 today. im glad he was able to fight his way back up after going a lap down from speeding. we all want junior to do well. i am kinda disappointed that smoke finished where he did...thought he was a top 10 car for sure. oh well can't wait for atlanta.
    I'm somewhat of a Hendrick fanboy, but I HATE Jr. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if he never won a single race, much less a championship. It's not just him (though he's not that great of a driver, nothing like his dad), it's all his awful fans. I know the stereotypical NASCAR fan is a drunk redneck, but that's exactly what all the Jr. fans are around here. I went to a race a few years ago and was all decked out in my Jimmie Johnson gear (picked him up on my fantasy team first race of his rookie year) and was ridiculed by the Junior dickheads around me. ugh
    HeyRiles;2034505 said:
    I'm kinda sick of Junior myself. He's clearly the favorite general driver in all of NASCAR but he wouldn't even rank in the top 10 drivers in terms of ability
    This. 100% true. He's not a bad driver, but he's not great either
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Woo cars go round in Circles!