The Official NASCAR Thread

Comments

• forrest99forrest99 Banned
    edited October 2009
    Last I checked Mark Martin has beat the crap out of Kyle Busch on the track. I dont think he needs to retire.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited October 2009
    Mark Martin deserves to win the title. The guys been racing his entire life and hasn't won a nascar championship. He's done everything else.
  • gmarshgmarsh Headliner
    edited October 2009
    I agree, Martin is always coming in second(most of his career), he's so nice, and he's a gentlemen. He deserves to win a championship more than anyone. If he continues to race like this, he doesn't need to retire.
  • tridentgum0tridentgum0 Uninteresting Poster
    edited October 2009
    Mark Martin is the ****ing man. **** your wrong opinion.
  • Sarge51Sarge51 Road Warrior
    edited October 2009
    I've converted to Tony Stewart fanism.
    edited October 2009
    Kyle Busch took over Tony Stewart's reign of being the most hated driver in racing. Tony cleaned up his act, Kyle Busch is just a douchebag.
    edited October 2009
    I like Tony Stewart because he's a douchebag. But, also funny. He gets angry easily, but he doesn't lose his cool.

I don't like Kyle Busch because he's a big baby. :p
    edited October 2009
    I've been a Johnson fan for 5 years now.
    edited October 2009
    I've never been a fan of any driver and ever since the COT was introduced, my liking for Nascar has diminished significantly. I went from watching it every Sunday (or Saturday), to not even making an effort to catch the race. It's just not the same anymore.
    edited October 2009
    Mega-Tallica;3136281 said:
    I've never been a fan of any driver and ever since the COT was introduced, my liking for Nascar has diminished significantly. I went from watching it every Sunday (or Saturday), to not even making an effort to catch the race. It's just not the same anymore.
    You mean you want to see people crash again, drive aggressively and actually use skill to win?

Me too. :(
    edited October 2009
    Sarge51;3136285 said:
    You mean you want to see people crash again, drive aggressively and actually use skill to win?

Me too. :(
    Yeah:(
    edited October 2009
    It bothers me that the same guys are winning every week. NASCAR should make a bunch of equal cars and see who's actually the most talented driver instead of who has the richest owner.
    edited October 2009
    tridentgum0;3136303 said:
    It bothers me that the same guys are winning every week. NASCAR should make a bunch of equal cars and see who's actually the most talented driver instead of who has the richest owner.
    Agreed and that's one of the factors in why I stopped watching it. The independent racing teams never win a race and I feel that all 43 cars in the field should have an equal playing surface. Every car should be setup exactly the same and only pure driver skill should play a factor in a driver winning a race or not.

Weren't the IROC races setup like that? Do they still have those btw?
    edited October 2009
    I think once the chase kicks in they should stop letting the rest of the drivers, who aren't in the chase, from driving.
    edited October 2009
    Sarge51;3136342 said:
    I think once the chase kicks in they should stop letting the rest of the drivers, who aren't in the chase, from driving.
    That'll be interesting. Just have a 12 driver sprint. The other 31 guys have nothing to lose, they just shoot for the win since their finish doesn't matter. And they tend to screw up the chase drivers by wrecking them and completely ruining their championship run.
    edited October 2009
    I think more cars = faster speeds, though. Not sure how it would be if it was just 12 cars on the track.
    edited October 2009
    Sarge51;3136444 said:
    I think more cars = faster speeds, though. Not sure how it would be if it was just 12 cars on the track.
    It'll be like the IROC races and those were awesome. They had like 15 cars I think.
    edited October 2009
    Ooooh, you know what really annoys me? When there's like 10 laps to go and they are focusing on Kyle Busch or somebody else in like 10th or 12th place when they should have their cameras focused on the lead at all times during the final 10 laps.

I don't know why they keep doing that lately.
    edited October 2009
    "Here goes Martin for the pass on Gordon with 3 to go!!"

"Meanwhile, here's this fine battle for 19th."
  • iamtheddrmaniamtheddrman Merch-Table
    edited October 2009
    tridentgum0;3136270 said:
    I've been a Johnson fan for 5 years now.
    I've been a Johnson fan since his last two years in Nationwide ;)
    Mega-Tallica;3136281 said:
    Me too. I've switched exclusively to watching Formula One now. That type of racing is far more exciting, has better "storylines" between drivers and manufacturers, and is global so the tracks are unique from week-to-week. NASCAR feels so stale now by comparison, as all but two tracks are oval, and so many of the 1.5 mile tracks are basically identical. The COT makes boring racing even more boring for me too.
    Mega-Tallica;3136320 said:
    Agreed and that's one of the factors in why I stopped watching it. The independent racing teams never win a race and I feel that all 43 cars in the field should have an equal playing surface. Every car should be setup exactly the same and only pure driver skill should play a factor in a driver winning a race or not.

Weren't the IROC races setup like that? Do they still have those btw?
    But that's one of the major factors of ANY racing series. If the team weren't allowed to make ANY changes to the car, then would NASCAR make the cars loose or tight? Even if they make them neutral (or as close as possible), you're still limiting the ability for certain drivers to race to the best of their abilities. Kyle Busch likes a really loose car, while Mark Martin runs best on a tight car. They would both be much slower if they weren't allowed to tweak the car to their liking.

I understand the argument against the richest teams winning, but if you follow Formula One, you'll see that the richest teams (Ferrari and McLaren-Mercedes) are battling for 3rd place behind a brand new team, and a team that has always sucked in the series. It wasn't a matter of how much money they could throw at their cars this year, it was the innovation of the smaller teams to pull every bit of speed out of the car based on the new rules. The problem in NASCAR is that the COT is TOO regulated, so only the richest teams have the ability to squeak more power/speed out of the car.
    edited November 2009
    That is why I LOVE Talladega:

2 flips
    Big crash on the final lap
    Mcmurray wins

Good 'ol Dega never disappoints.
  • gmarshgmarsh Headliner
    edited November 2009
    Dega is one of the few tracks where something exciting actually happens.

Never disappoints.
  • n4sc4rn4sc4r Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    Wait... People still post in this thread? I didn't know that lol. I'm liking the Nationwide series mention a few posts up.

Does anyone else think it's unfair the cup drivers are allowed to race for the nationwide championship? I can understand racing some in the series, but when 13 of the top 15 cars are all cup drivers, it seems largely unfair to the nationwide drivers. I love having a couple or so a week to challenge the nationwide kids, but when people trying to make a living in the series (Read: Morgan Shepard) are missing the race because 10 cup drivers decide to race for fun, it doesn't seem right. I mean rally, the last nationwide driver to win a championship was Martin Truex Jr...
    edited November 2009
    I don't think they should be allowed to race there at all. It's there so owners can find the next cup star, not watch the current ones.
    edited November 2009
    tridentgum0;3207144 said:
    I don't think they should be allowed to race there at all. It's there so owners can find the next cup star, not watch the current ones.
    I agree with this for the most part, but not entirely. While I can see what you're saying, how can the nationwide drivers be compared to cup drivers if they never get a chance to go against them on fairly equal equipment? I like having a couple drivers each race to challenge the nationwide drivers so they learn a few things. I would propose a limited schedule for each driver, like maybe 5-7 races max.
    edited November 2009
    tridentgum0;3207144 said:
    Exactly. NASCAR should model it like F1 does with GP2. GP2 is usually the final stepping stone to a Formula One career. Nationwide should be considered a stepping stone to Sprint Cup, and nothing more (IMO).
    n4sc4r;3207155 said:
    I agree with this for the most part, but not entirely. While I can see what you're saying, how can the nationwide drivers be compared to cup drivers if they never get a chance to go against them on fairly equal equipment? I like having a couple drivers each race to challenge the nationwide drivers so they learn a few things. I would propose a limited schedule for each driver, like maybe 5-7 races max.
    It should be a proving ground. The best Nationwide drivers should be able to hold their own in Sprint Cup. Sure, the cars are different and the drivers are much better in Sprint Cup, but it's still a safe bet to assume the best in Nationwide will stand the best chance of doing well in Sprint Cup. If they want a chance to prove their mettle, they should be allowed to do testing sessions in current Sprint Cup cars, either during the race weekend, or in off-season testing segments.
    edited November 2009
    iamtheddrman;3207313 said:
    It should be a proving ground. The best Nationwide drivers should be able to hold their own in Sprint Cup. Sure, the cars are different and the drivers are much better in Sprint Cup, but it's still a safe bet to assume the best in Nationwide will stand the best chance of doing well in Sprint Cup. If they want a chance to prove their mettle, they should be allowed to do testing sessions in current Sprint Cup cars, either during the race weekend, or in off-season testing segments.
    I do like this idea quite a bit too. The only thing I dislike is the fact that even then it would be nearly impossible to judge a driver's skill, as they're usually given the worst of the organization's equipment. How can they prove their talent with a 35th place car?
    edited November 2009
    n4sc4r;3207416 said:
    I do like this idea quite a bit too. The only thing I dislike is the fact that even then it would be nearly impossible to judge a driver's skill, as they're usually given the worst of the organization's equipment. How can they prove their talent with a 35th place car?
    Pay your current Sprint Cup drivers to come and do testing sessions in the same car? That would certainly get expensive, and may not even happen, but it would be the only way to get a true benchmark. Still, someone had to have driven that car at some point, so you could use the times that were posted in that car at the time it was last driven.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited November 2009
    I realize this is the NASCAR thread, but the Nationwide discussion reminds me of the Nationwide Tour in golf. When it first started, it was meant to be a developmental tour for younger players to cut their teeth before making the jump to the PGA Tour, and the money was minimal enough to keep it just that. But over the years, the money got better, and you started seeing a lot of journeyman PGA Tour players coasting through it for easier checks. Obviously, the money needed for racing requires paying drivers more than just a pittance, but a developmental tour/series should be just that -- a way to develop the young guys, not a way for established veterans to pad their wallets.
    edited November 2009
    gmarsh;3206825 said:
    Dega is one of the few tracks where something exciting actually happens.

Never disappoints.
    Except NASCAR had to be douchebags and scare everyone into driving into a single line through a large portion of the race. But, at the end and close to the halfway mark things were getting hectic.

I just wished ABC would stop interrupting my HD and that the announcers would get their heads out of Jimmy Johnson's ass. Dead last, and there's all kind of possible lead changes going on up front and they are focusing on him. Surprisingly after the final wreck he DID finally get pushed up and got a decent finish. :/

Still... sorely disappointed that a FORD won Talledega.