The Official NASCAR Thread

Comments

• tridentgum0tridentgum0 Uninteresting Poster
    edited November 2009
    I don't think they should be allowed to race there at all. It's there so owners can find the next cup star, not watch the current ones.
  • n4sc4rn4sc4r Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    tridentgum0;3207144 said:
    I don't think they should be allowed to race there at all. It's there so owners can find the next cup star, not watch the current ones.
    I agree with this for the most part, but not entirely. While I can see what you're saying, how can the nationwide drivers be compared to cup drivers if they never get a chance to go against them on fairly equal equipment? I like having a couple drivers each race to challenge the nationwide drivers so they learn a few things. I would propose a limited schedule for each driver, like maybe 5-7 races max.
  • iamtheddrmaniamtheddrman Merch-Table
    edited November 2009
    tridentgum0;3207144 said:
    Exactly. NASCAR should model it like F1 does with GP2. GP2 is usually the final stepping stone to a Formula One career. Nationwide should be considered a stepping stone to Sprint Cup, and nothing more (IMO).
    n4sc4r;3207155 said:
    I agree with this for the most part, but not entirely. While I can see what you're saying, how can the nationwide drivers be compared to cup drivers if they never get a chance to go against them on fairly equal equipment? I like having a couple drivers each race to challenge the nationwide drivers so they learn a few things. I would propose a limited schedule for each driver, like maybe 5-7 races max.
    It should be a proving ground. The best Nationwide drivers should be able to hold their own in Sprint Cup. Sure, the cars are different and the drivers are much better in Sprint Cup, but it's still a safe bet to assume the best in Nationwide will stand the best chance of doing well in Sprint Cup. If they want a chance to prove their mettle, they should be allowed to do testing sessions in current Sprint Cup cars, either during the race weekend, or in off-season testing segments.
    edited November 2009
    iamtheddrman;3207313 said:
    It should be a proving ground. The best Nationwide drivers should be able to hold their own in Sprint Cup. Sure, the cars are different and the drivers are much better in Sprint Cup, but it's still a safe bet to assume the best in Nationwide will stand the best chance of doing well in Sprint Cup. If they want a chance to prove their mettle, they should be allowed to do testing sessions in current Sprint Cup cars, either during the race weekend, or in off-season testing segments.
    I do like this idea quite a bit too. The only thing I dislike is the fact that even then it would be nearly impossible to judge a driver's skill, as they're usually given the worst of the organization's equipment. How can they prove their talent with a 35th place car?
    edited November 2009
    n4sc4r;3207416 said:
    I do like this idea quite a bit too. The only thing I dislike is the fact that even then it would be nearly impossible to judge a driver's skill, as they're usually given the worst of the organization's equipment. How can they prove their talent with a 35th place car?
    Pay your current Sprint Cup drivers to come and do testing sessions in the same car? That would certainly get expensive, and may not even happen, but it would be the only way to get a true benchmark. Still, someone had to have driven that car at some point, so you could use the times that were posted in that car at the time it was last driven.
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited November 2009
    I realize this is the NASCAR thread, but the Nationwide discussion reminds me of the Nationwide Tour in golf. When it first started, it was meant to be a developmental tour for younger players to cut their teeth before making the jump to the PGA Tour, and the money was minimal enough to keep it just that. But over the years, the money got better, and you started seeing a lot of journeyman PGA Tour players coasting through it for easier checks. Obviously, the money needed for racing requires paying drivers more than just a pittance, but a developmental tour/series should be just that -- a way to develop the young guys, not a way for established veterans to pad their wallets.
  • Sarge51Sarge51 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    gmarsh;3206825 said:
    Dega is one of the few tracks where something exciting actually happens.

Never disappoints.
    Except NASCAR had to be douchebags and scare everyone into driving into a single line through a large portion of the race. But, at the end and close to the halfway mark things were getting hectic.

I just wished ABC would stop interrupting my HD and that the announcers would get their heads out of Jimmy Johnson's ass. Dead last, and there's all kind of possible lead changes going on up front and they are focusing on him. Surprisingly after the final wreck he DID finally get pushed up and got a decent finish. :/

Still... sorely disappointed that a FORD won Talledega.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    Haha, Ryan Newman said that Talledega with flipping is boring and it ruins it for the fans, little did he know that that is actually what's bringing them to their seats.
    edited November 2009
    Sarge51;3208303 said:
    Except NASCAR had to be douchebags and scare everyone into driving into a single line through a large portion of the race. But, at the end and close to the halfway mark things were getting hectic.

I just wished ABC would stop interrupting my HD and that the announcers would get their heads out of Jimmy Johnson's ass. Dead last, and there's all kind of possible lead changes going on up front and they are focusing on him. Surprisingly after the final wreck he DID finally get pushed up and got a decent finish. :/

Still... sorely disappointed that a FORD won Talledega.
    Yeah, I stopped keeping up with NASCAR til the Chase this year, but I heard them talking about that. You can't force teams to use restrictor plates AND not bump draft at a superspeedway. You either need to let them run at full power so they actually CAN pass, or you need to let them bump draft so that there's some teamwork that will allow you to pass properly. That race was a 3 hour borefest.

What do you expect them to do? Jimmie Johnson is first in the Chase, and on the track to win an unprecedented 4-in-a-row title. They have to keep track of the points leaders or the people who actually care about that (like me) more than a boring race at a superspeedway will get mad that they aren't checking the points race. You also have to consider that he was using a strategy that required him to stay at the back of the pack. He could've moved up any time he wanted, but since he stayed in the back, he avoided the first wreck and gained over 10 positions. Then he was able to move up ahead of the second wreck for a respectable finish. Chad Knaus comes through yet again with a brilliant strategy.
    Mega-Tallica;3208339 said:
    Haha, Ryan Newman said that Talledega with flipping is boring and it ruins it for the fans, little did he know that that is actually what's bringing them to their seats.
    No, he said Talladega with restrictor plates and no bump drafting is boring, because it forces the entire pack to stay in one line. And he's absolutely right. 95% of that race was incredibly boring, and the only parts that WEREN'T boring were the two wrecks that caused flips. Speaking of which, aren't the flips EXACTLY what NASCAR is claiming they are trying to prevent with restrictor plates and no bump drafting? Obviously that's not going to work and they should just let the guys do what they do best: race the wheels off the cars. Talladega and Daytona suck. Give me Fontana, Atlanta and Lowe's and I'll be happy any day.
    edited November 2009
    Fontana is balls, unless you love racing where the leader pulls out to a six second lead and leads 239 of 250 laps.
    edited November 2009
    tridentgum0;3209534 said:
    Fontana is balls, unless you love racing where the leader pulls out to a six second lead and leads 239 of 250 laps.
    The guy with the fastest car should win the race. That's why I hate superspeedways. Very VERY rarely does the actual fastest guy win. It's a crapshoot.
    edited November 2009
    I'd rather see an evenly matched field than one guy dominating the whole race, every race, which is sort of the problem now.
    edited November 2009
    tridentgum0;3210346 said:
    I'd rather see an evenly matched field than one guy dominating the whole race, every race, which is sort of the problem now.
    I'd rather see the slower guys get faster. Adding sanctions and changes to the rules simply because one team is that much better than everyone else is an insult to that team. If they've figured out how to be that much faster than everybody (legally), then why should they be punished? It's crap if you ask me.
    edited November 2009
    Ugh, talks of cookie-cutter tracks like Atlanta and Lowe's irritate me to no end. I have nothing against the races at tracks like that, and they can be fun, but those tracks just make up way to much of the schedule. I know Lowe's is close to the area many teams are located, but 3 races a year? Ridiculous. The races like these in the chase are just stupid. Wanna guess why Jimmi Johnson (Chad Knaus I shoulkd say) wins so many championships now? The chase is tailor made for him. All of his worst tracks arrive during the summer (Much like Kyle Busch).

I like superspeedways like Fontana and Michigan though. They are neat because drivers can run completely different lanes and the racing's always competitive. Sometimes you get that leader that pulls way ahead, but there's still always a good race.

As for the famous restrictor plate races, I love them. They provide a completely different type of racing for the drivers. It's awesome in the sense that instead of all being based on the car, these races actually require a little skill (and perhaps luck) to win. A driver can't depend on pit stops to win them the race, they have to time everything right and make the moves when it counts. Don't want to be in the big one? Then stay in front of it! It's part of racing, and I really wish some drivers (Read: Mark Martin. No offense) would stop *****ing about it.

I hate what NASCAR is doing to the plate races though. Just let them race!
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited November 2009
    n4sc4r;3210521 said:
    Ugh, talks of cookie-cutter tracks like Atlanta and Lowe's irritate me to no end. I have nothing against the races at tracks like that, and they can be fun, but those tracks just make up way to much of the schedule. I know Lowe's is close to the area many teams are located, but 3 races a year? Ridiculous. The races like these in the chase are just stupid. Wanna guess why Jimmi Johnson (Chad Knaus I shoulkd say) wins so many championships now? The chase is tailor made for him. All of his worst tracks arrive during the summer (Much like Kyle Busch).
    if they need to get rid of one race, get rid of the Chase race. it's just letting Jimmie pull away from everybody.

+, Memorial Day weekend is much more fun :)

EDIT: Post 400!
  • Sarge51Sarge51 Road Warrior
    edited November 2009
    iamtheddrman;3208747 said:
    What do you expect them to do? Jimmie Johnson is first in the Chase, and on the track to win an unprecedented 4-in-a-row title. They have to keep track of the points leaders or the people who actually care about that (like me) more than a boring race at a superspeedway will get mad that they aren't checking the points race. You also have to consider that he was using a strategy that required him to stay at the back of the pack. He could've moved up any time he wanted, but since he stayed in the back, he avoided the first wreck and gained over 10 positions. Then he was able to move up ahead of the second wreck for a respectable finish.

Talladega and Daytona suck. Give me Fontana, Atlanta and Lowe's and I'll be happy any day.
    Just saying. When there's 15 or less laps to go, don't focus on someone who is in 31st place when there's three rows of cars battling it out for first place up front. That annoys me to no end. I don't mind when they talk about him or do that split-screen thing and show him AND the leaders, though. I still think hanging back was a risk though, he could have got caught in it, but luckily he didn't.

Oh no you didn't. Talladega used to be a great race, but now it's boring with all these restrictions. I love Talladega, though, it's nothing but pure speed throughout the entire race! It's also an easy track to race on in the games if you've ever played them. I was never good at tracks where you have to slow down a lot to get through the corners.
    edited November 2009
    Sarge51;3214554 said:
    Just saying. When there's 15 or less laps to go, don't focus on someone who is in 31st place when there's three rows of cars battling it out for first place up front. That annoys me to no end. I don't mind when they talk about him or do that split-screen thing and show him AND the leaders, though. I still think hanging back was a risk though, he could have got caught in it, but luckily he didn't.

Oh no you didn't. Talladega used to be a great race, but now it's boring with all these restrictions. I love Talladega, though, it's nothing but pure speed throughout the entire race! It's also an easy track to race on in the games if you've ever played them. I was never good at tracks where you have to slow down a lot to get through the corners.
    The superspeedway races bore me in real life (due to restrictor plates and other stupid sanctions) and in games (due to hammering the throttle non-stop for however long the race lasts). To be honest, the last NASCAR game I played was 08, and I only played it for 2 hours. The handling was TERRIBLE in that game, and I wasn't about to trade the thing back in for 18 bucks the day after release to the Evil Game Empire. I love tracks like Bristol and Atlanta in the games because it's still full throttle for a lot of the race, but you have to take a perfect line through the corners to cut through traffic (or just stay on the track :p). Talladega is pretty much a "race wherever you want" track, especially in the games.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited November 2009
    Jimmie Johnson pisses me off :p
  • Jerome85Jerome85 Banned
    edited November 2009
    iamtheddrman;3215053 said:
    The superspeedway races bore me in real life (due to restrictor plates and other stupid sanctions) and in games (due to hammering the throttle non-stop for however long the race lasts). To be honest, the last NASCAR game I played was 08, and I only played it for 2 hours. The handling was TERRIBLE in that game, and I wasn't about to trade the thing back in for 18 bucks the day after release to the Evil Game Empire. I love tracks like Bristol and Atlanta in the games because it's still full throttle for a lot of the race, but you have to take a perfect line through the corners to cut through traffic (or just stay on the track :p). Talladega is pretty much a "race wherever you want" track, especially in the games.
    if you have the money try iracing.

i definitely wasn't bored at the daytona 500 this year and it even rained. being down by the fence when the whole field comes by pushing 200 is just a feeling all people should experience once. hopefully no cars are flying through the air at you when you get the chance.
    edited November 2009
    Jerome85;3221065 said:
    if you have the money try iracing.

i definitely wasn't bored at the daytona 500 this year and it even rained. being down by the fence when the whole field comes by pushing 200 is just a feeling all people should experience once. hopefully no cars are flying through the air at you when you get the chance.
    I have the money, I'm just not keen on ANY game charging me a monthly fee. It's acceptable on LIVE because it's more than just one game. I will never play Wow, FFXI, etc because I don't like the idea of money leaving my pocket more than once to play the game.

Besides the game looks decent, but nothing spectacular. I think Forza is just as good, if not better, and only cost my $60 once. Thanks for the tip though.

Yeah, I went to the October race at Lowe's a few years back and it was awesome. I was about 15 rows up from the fence, so just enough back to see most of the track, but close enough to still feel the wind from the cars as they fly by. It was awesome seeing two wrecks right in front of us too. Still though, I don't think I could ever enjoy going to Talladega or Daytona. Just too boring for me :-\
  • topperharleytopperharley Son of Statler and Waldorf
    edited December 2009
    Thoughts on Danica Patrick racing a partial Nationwide schedule next season?
    iamtheddrman;3223640 said:
    I don't like the idea of money leaving my pocket more than once to play the game.
    You don't have any RB DLC, then? ;)
    edited December 2009
    NASCAR needs an attractive driver. I'm all for it.
    edited December 2009
    topperharley;3320246 said:
    Thoughts on Danica Patrick racing a partial Nationwide schedule next season?

You don't have any RB DLC, then? ;)
    Totally different story. I guess I should say I don't like monthly fees to play a game. Hence no WoW for me either.

DLC I make an exception for because I'm directly paying for small bits of content for the game. Monthly fees have no direct correlation with new features or content.
    edited January 2010
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/NASCAR-to-ease-rules-in-2010-012110

Great news.

Quick summary of that article: NASCAR is getting less srs bsns with the rules. Here are some changes:

- No more black flags for bump drafting. Period
    - Larger restrictor plate at Daytona (thus allowing for more HP)
    - Eventual replacement of the COT wings to old fashoned spoilers again
    - Double file restarts in the CWTS

There may eventually be eradication of the yellow line rule at restrictor plate tracks as well.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited January 2010
    Woohoo! And bring back racing to the line as well while you're at it

Anyone wanna make a fantasy NASCAR league for the forums?
    edited January 2010
    There's a fantasy NASCAR?
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, it's like auction mode for fantasy football, where you auction off about four drivers per team, and run three of them each race, and whoever gets the most points in the head-to-head matchup wins
  • SadderdaySadderday Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    I'd be down for this. I watch it with my dad.
    edited January 2010
    I'll give it a shot. Muddy won't let me play baseball so I need some sort of fantasy game to play.
  • SadderdaySadderday Opening Act
    edited January 2010
    My dad is in a pool and it sounds fun. You guys will have to dumb it down and explain how the fantasy league thing works for me.