The Official NASCAR Thread

n4sc4rn4sc4r Road Warrior
edited September 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
I wasn't going to make on of these, but after seeing a decent amount of people talk about the Daytona 500 over the last two days, I decided to go ahead and make one.

In this thread it is my hope to discuss events happening in the biggest series' in NASCAR; the Sprint Cup Series. I will try my absolute best to keep events of the series updated.

Rules:
1. I would prefer to keep the "left turns sucks lolz" kind of posts to a minimum. If you are going to bash the league, please be a bit more creative than that.
2. Be subjective to others' opinions. There is no need to cause an argument that causes anyone to be banned or for this thread to be locked.
3. Have fun!

Comments

• n4sc4rn4sc4r Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Sorry for not updating this in a while. The thread wouldn't load for some reason. I had almost forgotten about it when I remembered during the race. I updated the cup post with todays result. I'll try to get Nationwide and Camping World tomorrow.
  • HPLabonteHPLabonte Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Great race today, I had off of work, and it was snowin so I watched it, and oh man, Labonte ran a great race, only to get it screwed up by Jimmie Johnson. Hope to see Labonte do even better at the track which he dominiated from 1996-2003! GO 96!
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2009
    I freaking hate Kyle Busch so hard
    edited March 2009
    HeyRiles;2034228 said:
    I freaking hate Kyle Busch so hard
    Yet he's so undeniably talented. Gaahhhh!!!!!!!!
    I hope he goes to F1 and just kicks everyone's butt over there, so he stops doing it in the Sprint Cup
  • iamtheddrmaniamtheddrman Merch-Table
    edited March 2009
    HPLabonte;2034263 said:
    Yet he's so undeniably talented. Gaahhhh!!!!!!!!
    I hope he goes to F1 and just kicks everyone's butt over there, so he stops doing it in the Sprint Cup
    I'd like to see Busch-Raikkonen racing for Ferrari. That would be utter DOMINATION.

I missed the race today. I woke up really late, then had friends come over.
  • Jerome85Jerome85 Banned
    edited March 2009
    i thought the race today was good..weird but good. i have rowdy on my fantasy league team so im fine with him winning. im still pissed marky mark had an engine go...again. looks like i will be starting burton instead of mark martin at atlanta and definitely bristol to make up for the past two weeks. kyle won the first atlanta race last year so i think he can pull off another win next week. i do gotta point out junior getting a top 10 today. im glad he was able to fight his way back up after going a lap down from speeding. we all want junior to do well. i am kinda disappointed that smoke finished where he did...thought he was a top 10 car for sure. oh well can't wait for atlanta.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited March 2009
    I'm kinda sick of Junior myself. He's clearly the favorite general driver in all of NASCAR but he wouldn't even rank in the top 10 drivers in terms of ability
    edited March 2009
    Jerome85;2034489 said:
    i thought the race today was good..weird but good. i have rowdy on my fantasy league team so im fine with him winning. im still pissed marky mark had an engine go...again. looks like i will be starting burton instead of mark martin at atlanta and definitely bristol to make up for the past two weeks. kyle won the first atlanta race last year so i think he can pull off another win next week. i do gotta point out junior getting a top 10 today. im glad he was able to fight his way back up after going a lap down from speeding. we all want junior to do well. i am kinda disappointed that smoke finished where he did...thought he was a top 10 car for sure. oh well can't wait for atlanta.
    I'm somewhat of a Hendrick fanboy, but I HATE Jr. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if he never won a single race, much less a championship. It's not just him (though he's not that great of a driver, nothing like his dad), it's all his awful fans. I know the stereotypical NASCAR fan is a drunk redneck, but that's exactly what all the Jr. fans are around here. I went to a race a few years ago and was all decked out in my Jimmie Johnson gear (picked him up on my fantasy team first race of his rookie year) and was ridiculed by the Junior dickheads around me. ugh
    HeyRiles;2034505 said:
    I'm kinda sick of Junior myself. He's clearly the favorite general driver in all of NASCAR but he wouldn't even rank in the top 10 drivers in terms of ability
    This. 100% true. He's not a bad driver, but he's not great either
  • General Lein979General Lein979 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Woo cars go round in Circles!
    edited March 2009
    General Lein979;2034538 said:
    Woo cars go round in Circles!
    stfu and gtfo. I could simplify anything to that level. Football is just people attempting to run 100 yards in a random direction. Sounds easy, don't it?
  • mimicmimic Fairly Great Poster
    edited March 2009
    HPLabonte;2034842 said:
    stfu and gtfo. I could simplify anything to that level. Football is just people attempting to run 100 yards in a random direction. Sounds easy, don't it?
    Football and baseball rank up there with bowling. You stand around a lot, wait for something to happen. Then you sit on a bench for a little bit. Then you get up and stand around, run a little bit, then sit back down.

That being said I fell asleep during the cali race. I didn't even watch tonights race. Though I might watch next week, I'm kinda hoping jr falls below the top 35. That would be so awesome.
    edited March 2009
    iamtheddrman;2034532 said:
    I'm somewhat of a Hendrick fanboy, but I HATE Jr. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if he never won a single race, much less a championship. It's not just him (though he's not that great of a driver, nothing like his dad), it's all his awful fans. I know the stereotypical NASCAR fan is a drunk redneck, but that's exactly what all the Jr. fans are around here. I went to a race a few years ago and was all decked out in my Jimmie Johnson gear (picked him up on my fantasy team first race of his rookie year) and was ridiculed by the Junior dickheads around me. ugh

This. 100% true. He's not a bad driver, but he's not great either
    it comes with the territory...theres old nascar and new nascar fans all mixed up now a days...so your bound to get some automatic rivalries/trash talking lol. especially with the amount of alcohol consumed at the races. i can see where your coming from though.

by the way...how bout labonte and that top 5.
    edited March 2009
    Jerome85;2035505 said:
    it comes with the territory...theres old nascar and new nascar fans all mixed up now a days...so your bound to get some automatic rivalries/trash talking lol. especially with the amount of alcohol consumed at the races. i can see where your coming from though.

by the way...how bout labonte and that top 5.
    I was hoping he'd win. Pit strategy cost him a chance at the end.

Also, why do so many people here hate Jr? Apparently his last name and popularity make him a bad driver if he doesn't win all the time? That just seems stupid to expect to me.

Also, Mark Martin 34th in points is sad, especially when it's his motor, not him. This championship run isn't looking good.

One last thing, Gordon messing up made me laugh so hard. I have always kind of hated Johnson and im. Not because they win, but they at least used to always blame everything that happened on someone else. I remember Johnson causing 2 wrecks in both Talladega races and blaming someone near him both times a few years ago...
    edited March 2009
    Well, he's not all that talented, he's good enough to contend, but he's not even 10% of what his father was, then again, I like Jr, but he's got to improve a LOT real soon, because he's no longer at DEI, he's at Hendrick, and now he has no excuse.

and I don't like Jimmie because he always seems to mess up a possible Bobby Labonte win, like that BS red flag at the Coke 600 in 2005, and that Talladega wreck, and that whole pit deal on Sunday, hahaha, but in all honesty, Jimmie is really talented
    edited March 2009
    n4sc4r;2035581 said:
    I was hoping he'd win. Pit strategy cost him a chance at the end.
    No, that was just some bad luck with Jimmie Johnson coming into the pits at the wrong time, Todd Parrott and Labonte are ON and their pit strategy got them to the front of the pack.
    edited March 2009
    I don't like silver spoons. I don't like when people are handed things. Jr was raised by an all time great, he was GIVEN a ride by his dads company. His father dies. He, like most of his opportunities inherits the most popular driver award.

He then goes on to blame that very same company for why he isn't as successful as people think he should be. Switches to the elite team and is now fighting to stay in the top 35 lol.

Not to mention nascar tends to look the other way when their golden boy is in trouble. Oh what's that? Jr is a lap down? Is that debris I see? Yes I think it is, throw the caution. Who's the lucky dog? Jr? Huh, go figure.
    edited March 2009
    mimic;2036967 said:
    I don't like silver spoons. I don't like when people are handed things. Jr was raised by an all time great, he was GIVEN a ride by his dads company. His father dies. He, like most of his opportunities inherits the most popular driver award.

He then goes on to blame that very same company for why he isn't as successful as people think he should be. Switches to the elite team and is now fighting to stay in the top 35 lol.

Not to mention nascar tends to look the other way when their golden boy is in trouble. Oh what's that? Gordon is a lap down? Is that debris I see? Yes I think it is, throw the caution. Who's the lucky dog? Gordon? Huh, go figure.
    Fixed. Debris caution, huh? Maybe that's why he had to drive for like 55 laps on the tail end of the lead lap yesterday? I think that was one of the only runs without a caution...

I don't see how it's Jr's fault his motor blew one week and pit strategy messed him up the first week. The teams doing solid, just having bad luck.

Also, when DEI was still as good as when Earnhardt Sr. was around (2000-about 03 or 04), it clearly shows that Jr. won a lot more races. Therefore I honestly believe DEI did go downhill and can't blame Jr. for leaving.

Also, Dale Sr. only gave him his ride when he did so well in earlier series'. I seem to recall him beating Matt Kenseth 2 years in a row in the busch (Now Nationwide) series and beating Ron Fellows at a road course with a late race pass.

When it comes to overrated drivers, I call the Kyle Busch card. He drives like a nut. With the hits he takes and causes, the new car is all that keep him doing well. He wasn't that good at hendrick and profited from Toyota's early advantage last year. Also he only won that race due to the caution Jeff Gordon caused and the many wrecks taking out many drivers whom were doing better than him (see: Johnson). He's an overrated cocky little fool and I can't wait for the day people start to realize it and stop kissing his butt (I'm looking at you, Darrel Waltrip).

One last thing, after seeing the restarts toward the end... Wtf does it take to get a black flag for brake checking, stopping on the track?

Ugh, I'm going to come off as a Jr. fanboy at this rate.. Still, someone has to back him up. He's got talent, but his popularity is apparently his undoing.

Random: In other news, u2's new album comes out tomorrow. Yay!
    edited March 2009
    Kyle Busch... he may be a complete jerk and ass, but he's undeniably talented. He'll put that car in position to win, and most of the times he would. If it weren't for Jr's bonehead move at Daytona (and THANK GOD FOR IT), Kyle was gonna win the 500, no doubt in my mind. when Kyle's on, he's on and he'll win, he'll just drive away from everyone, Edwards, Johnson, Earnhardt, Gordon, they can't compete, sadly.

I don't think there's any conspiracies going on, I don't think they're doing things in favor of Jr, (other than maybe the 2001 Pepsi 400), i think yesterday's penalty shows that, 50.01 MPH, the leeway area for the Pit Road speed is about 5mph, and at 45 MPH, he was only .01mph over that, and in a true judgment call was penalized. Jr's just good enough to pass everyone else who fall down a lap. He's about as talented as Vickers, Mears, and all them, and I gotta say, Vickers, Earnhardt, and Mears are excellent talents, but they're overshadowed by Busch, Johnson, Gordon, and Edwards every week,

I also gotta give it up for Sliced Bread Joey Logano, that kid has a lot to live up to, and I think he will live up to the hype, he ran a great race yesterday, and he will be the 2009 ROTY, I will admit that; no matter how much I like Scott Speed.
    edited March 2009
    HPLabonte;2038388 said:
    no matter how much I like Scott Speed.
    :eek:
    I was with you til that statement... You seriously like Scott Speed? He was TERRIBLE in F1, causing more wrecks and blowing more engines than almost anyone in recent history (save Yuji Ide). When I saw he was coming to NASCAR, I facepalmed. Of course, he's lived up to his reputation already, taking out some of my favorites :(
    edited March 2009
    iamtheddrman;2039235 said:
    :eek:
    I was with you til that statement... You seriously like Scott Speed? He was TERRIBLE in F1, causing more wrecks and blowing more engines than almost anyone in recent history (save Yuji Ide). When I saw he was coming to NASCAR, I facepalmed. Of course, he's lived up to his reputation already, taking out some of my favorites :(
    I like his attitude, him and Regan Smith, I just like how they handle themselves in interviews, I'll never claim to be a big fan of either, but I like their youthfulness, Regan Smith is so confident, after the Gatorade Twins they asked "Regan, could you have raced your way in if you needed to?" and his reply was "Yeah, no problem." It's just good to see confident new guys, I also hope Red Bull Racing will find SOME success this season, Vickers has some talent, and Speed was good and impressive in the Camping World Truck Series, I think he's definitely improved from F1, but then again, there wasn't much to improve from.
    edited March 2009
    HPLabonte;2040043 said:
    Surfer boy got lucky.
    edited March 2009
    HPLabonte;2040043 said:
    If he ever loses his sponsorship or decides to quit NASCAR, he could definitely look into drifting. Doing that unexpectedly at nearly 200 MPH is nothing short of spectacular driving. I missed that race, so thanks for the vid
    edited March 2009
    HPLabonte;2040043 said:
    I still cannot believe he drove out of that. that's insane
    edited March 2009
    Well, today's race sucked above and beyond.
    edited March 2009
    HPLabonte;2067510 said:
    Well, today's race sucked above and beyond.
    Yeah, the moron who ran out in the infield chasing the tire should be relieved of his job. So many teams got screwed after that happened.

Didn't think it would be 'Kurt' Busch this week but he definitely deserved the win, that high line was killin' em. Gordon is still leading the points going into bristol. Another disaster race for Mark Martin in Atlanta, get caught up in a wreck at Bristol and you can kiss the top 35 goodbye. Ouch

Good job Smoke, 8th place finish. I got a good laugh at him putting his old car into the wall.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited March 2009
    I may have some Bristol Tickets for sale...
    edited March 2009
    I didn't even watch it. They should just get rid of every intermediate track. Just have ones like bristol and talladega.

I WILL be watching this weekend though.
    edited March 2009
    Sayburr;2068346 said:
    I may have some Bristol Tickets for sale...
    For this upcoming weekend or the August race?
    edited March 2009
    Sorry for being behind on the updates. School's been annoying. I may just do the cup series, since there is very litle talk or caring about the minor series'. One last thing, why is NASCAR in the posts red?