The Official NASCAR Thread

Comments

• Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited July 2009
    I used to watch nascar every Sunday until I just got extremely bored of watching the same thing every week. now I only throw on nascar when they are either racing at Daytona, Talladega, Watkins Glen, or at Inferion.
  • iamtheddrmaniamtheddrman Merch-Table
    edited July 2009
    Mega-Tallica;2653351 said:
    That's why I watch baseball.;)
    LOL! Other than golf, I'd say baseball is the most boring sport to watch. I LOVE playing both of them, but they are flat-out awful to watch, IMO.
    tridentgum0;2653366 said:
    Daytona and Talladega are my two favorites to watch for that very reason.
    So you like watching the guy who raced a perfect race lose because some d-bag screwed him on the last lap? That ain't my cup o' tea, lol. I like the races where the drivers are in control of their own destiny, rather than depending on other drivers to basically make them win.
  • tridentgum0tridentgum0 Uninteresting Poster
    edited July 2009
    iamtheddrman;2653390 said:
    LOL! Other than golf, I'd say baseball is the most boring sport to watch. I LOVE playing both of them, but they are flat-out awful to watch, IMO.

So you like watching the guy who raced a perfect race lose because some d-bag screwed him on the last lap? That ain't my cup o' tea, lol. I like the races where the drivers are in control of their own destiny, rather than depending on other drivers to basically make them win.
    I enjoy the fact that no one can pull out to a 5 second lead the whole race and that even the part-time, unsponsored guys have a shot to win, yes. It gets boring watching the smae drivers in victory lane every week.
    edited July 2009
    iamtheddrman;2653390 said:

Yeah, it is pretty boring, but I keep stats of every Met game so that makes it a little more interesting.

EDIT: But baseball is still a lot better than watching cars go around in circles.
    edited July 2009
    tridentgum0;2653403 said:
    I enjoy the fact that no one can pull out to a 5 second lead the whole race and that even the part-time, unsponsored guys have a shot to win, yes. It gets boring watching the smae drivers in victory lane every week.
    I guess. I just get sick of my fantasy drivers getting taken out in the big one EVERY SINGLE TIME they race at 'Dega or Daytona.

^ If you're hardcore enough to keep stats manually, then it would definitely be interesting. The same could be said for golf. One of my friends carefully studies each golfer's swing to see where they mess up so that he can get better himself.
  • n4sc4rn4sc4r Road Warrior
    edited July 2009
    Mega-Tallica;2653351 said:
    That's why I watch baseball.;)
    There's a reason I put the etc. there. BTW go White Sox!

Anyway with the discussion going I update the op's, only now it's all about the Sprint Cup series.

Oh yeah, and Brad Keselowski is my favorite Nationwide series driver so seeing him win at Talladega was sweet! And to the whiny Edwards fans I still say Keselowski did nothing wrong. If Edwards would have been smart enough to block the inside he would have won.
    edited July 2009
    tridentgum0;2653403 said:
    Agreed it seems either Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Kyle Busch, Tony Stewart, or Greg Biffle wins every race. It was nice to Joey Logano win at New Hampshire because it was a different driver winning finally.
    edited July 2009
    n4sc4r;2653423 said:
    There's a reason I put the etc. there. BTW go White Sox!

Anyway with the discussion going I update the op's, only now it's all about the Sprint Cup series.

Oh yeah, and Brad Keselowski is my favorite Nationwide series driver so seeing him win at Talladega was sweet! And to the whiny Edwards fans I still say Keselowski did nothing wrong. If Edwards would have been smart enough to block the inside he would have won.
    His fans can't say Edwards would have moved if he was in Keselowski's position. Carl would have held position as well.
    Mega-Tallica;2653424 said:
    Agreed it seems either Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Kyle Busch, Tony Stewart, or Greg Biffle wins every race. It was nice to Joey Logano win at New Hampshire because it was a different driver winning finally.
    Johnson's my guy, so that one doesn't bug me. Also, rain-shortened races don't ****ing count in my book.
    edited July 2009
    Mega-Tallica;2653424 said:
    Jimmie Johnson
    He's my favorite driver. And before anybody says I just like him because he wins every year, I picked him up for the Daytona 500 his rookie year on my fantasy team. So I've literally liked him since his first race in Sprint Cup :p

It freaked my dad out when he did so well his rookie year. He was so pissed I got that good a driver for only 14.1 points! :D
    edited July 2009
    iamtheddrman;2653440 said:
    He's my favorite driver. And before anybody says I just like him because he wins every year, I picked him up for the Daytona 500 his rookie year on my fantasy team. So I've literally liked him since his first race in Sprint Cup :p

It freaked my dad out when he did so well his rookie year. He was so pissed I got that good a driver for only 14.1 points! :D
    I became a Johnson fan when he won the first race I ever went to in person. That was October of 2004. two years before his first championship.
    edited July 2009
    tridentgum0;2653433 said:
    His fans can't say Edwards would have moved if he was in Keselowski's position. Carl would have held position as well.

Johnson's my guy, so that one doesn't bug me. Also, rain-shortened races don't ****ing count in my book.
    Why is that? It's just another strategy race. It's no worse than fuel strategy races to me. The team with the best strategy won.
    edited July 2009
    n4sc4r;2653463 said:
    Why is that? It's just another strategy race. It's no worse than fuel strategy races to me. The team with the best strategy won.
    Actually the team with the best meteorologist won.
    edited July 2009
    n4sc4r;2653463 said:
    Mainly because I hate the damn things and it makes the sport look like a tool. Remember Charlotte? They waited 3 hours to call the race because a no-name was winning. They called New Hampshire in 10 minutes because the hot young thing was winning. They should at least try it the next day, I don't care if you're halfway or not. I love NASCAR, but come on. The rain at Charlotte was 5 times heavier too.
    edited July 2009
    tridentgum0;2653475 said:
    Mainly because I hate the damn things and it makes the sport look like a tool. Remember Charlotte? They waited 3 hours to call the race because a no-name was winning. They called New Hampshire in 10 minutes because the hot young thing was winning. They should at least try it the next day, I don't care if you're halfway or not. I love NASCAR, but come on. The rain at Charlotte was 5 times heavier too.
    Woah, are you saying Joey Logano's hot?:confused:
    edited July 2009
    Mega-Tallica;2653485 said:
    Woah, are you saying Joey Logano's hot?:confused:
    Hahaha well his girlfriend might think so anyway...

I agree on the thought that rain stopped races should be continued the next day, but some people don't recognize how hard that is to do, and how few fans might be able to come back the second day. After the halfway point, it's fair to the fans because they've seen plenty of racing. Besides, going through the whole setup thing again just to do 30 laps seems stupid to me. I personally think the cutoff point should be eith 75% or 80% through a race instead of 50%.
    edited July 2009
    n4sc4r;2653549 said:
    Hahaha well his girlfriend might think so anyway...

I agree on the thought that rain stopped races should be continued the next day, but some people don't recognize how hard that is to do, and how few fans might be able to come back the second day. After the halfway point, it's fair to the fans because they've seen plenty of racing. Besides, going through the whole setup thing again just to do 30 laps seems stupid to me. I personally think the cutoff point should be eith 75% or 80% through a race instead of 50%.
    I personally think they oughta slap rain tires on the cars and keep racing, like EVERY OTHER racing series does. I can count on one hand how many series actually call a race for rain, whereas I can name plenty that keep going. Sure the cars are heavy, and the race would slow down quite a bit, but it would definitely make the rain more of a "let's see what they do now" thing rather than a "who gets a free win this week?" kinda thing.
    edited July 2009
    iamtheddrman;2653668 said:
    I personally think they oughta slap rain tires on the cars and keep racing, like EVERY OTHER racing series does. I can count on one hand how many series actually call a race for rain, whereas I can name plenty that keep going. Sure the cars are heavy, and the race would slow down quite a bit, but it would definitely make the rain more of a "let's see what they do now" thing rather than a "who gets a free win this week?" kinda thing.
    According to the analysts, rain tires don't work on ovals. :rolleyes: RIIIIGGGGHTT.
    edited July 2009
    tridentgum0;2653674 said:
    According to the analysts, rain tires don't work on ovals. :rolleyes: RIIIIGGGGHTT.
    LOL I'd love to see the "data" that backs that up. The only thing I could think that would complicate things would be in a torrential downpour, there would be sheeting down the track, causing lots of hydroplaning. But if it's just kinda raining, let 'em run.
    edited July 2009
    iamtheddrman;2653681 said:
    LOL I'd love to see the "data" that backs that up. The only thing I could think that would complicate things would be in a torrential downpour, there would be sheeting down the track, causing lots of hydroplaning. But if it's just kinda raining, let 'em run.
    They call red flags for sprinkles now. It bugs me. I recall a Nationwide race using rain tires on a road course last year though.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited July 2009
    I'm pretty sure the main issue is restarts. So many tires would spin and it would just cause an immediete wreck
    edited July 2009
    tridentgum0;2653707 said:
    They call red flags for sprinkles now. It bugs me. I recall a Nationwide race using rain tires on a road course last year though.
    Yeah I remember that race. It's too bad I don't actually watch Nationwide though. I completely missed it and only heard about it on Speed Report.

Yeah the red flags on ANYTHING are pretty stupid. If it starts raining hard, red flag it, but not if it's an isolated cloud with tiny amounts of water. Idk, I've just lost a lot of interest in NASCAR now that I've started watching all these other series.

^ They handle those just fine in other series. It would certainly cause a wreck the first time, but the drivers should be responsible enough to be able to restart without causing a huge wreck from then on.
  • Jerome85Jerome85 Banned
    edited July 2009
    with the new double file restarts there is no way they could race in the rain on an oval. the cars slide around enough on a dry day it would be a disaster in the rain.
    edited July 2009
    Well it appears Mayfield's timeout is over.
  • mimicmimic Fairly Great Poster
    edited July 2009
    Hahahaha. It's hilarious that some people actually believe they can race in the rain on ovals.

The cars weigh 3400 pounds. Any idea how hard it is to get a tire compound that will make one of those beasts stick to a dry track? Did you know the g force the drivers experience at Bristol is more than astronauts face on launch?

How many times has a driver wrecked because of a tiny wet spot on the track? I remember Jr wrecking and whining about it when there was a line in the track that was leaking. It had tears of water coming out.

Oh yeah, they'll just drive slower right? Is that racing? No it's not. You try and tell a race car driver to not go full speed.

Aside from road races, there will never be rain tires on those cars. It's ignorant to think otherwise.
  • Starfleet_RamboStarfleet_Rambo Headliner
    edited July 2009
    ^I assumed a completely different post when I saw your name in this thread. :o
    edited July 2009
    Starfleet_Rambo;2654355 said:
    ^I assumed a completely different post when I saw your name in this thread. :o
    I was a hardcore nascar fan up until this year. I stopped watching. It's horrible now.

I just go to the website occasionally to make sure Jr is still a horrible no talent hack. It puts a smile on my face to know he won't be in the chase.

If Kahne can move to a team that has good cars I might watch again.
    edited July 2009
    mimic;2654369 said:
    I was a hardcore nascar fan up until this year. I stopped watching. It's horrible now.

I just go to the website occasionally to make sure Jr is still a horrible no talent hack. It puts a smile on my face to know he won't be in the chase.

If Kahne can move to a team that has good cars I might watch again.
    He won two weeks ago on a track he hates. Good enough? Not to mention he's learning from some guy named Richard Petty.
    edited July 2009
    tridentgum0;2654376 said:
    He won two weeks ago on a track he hates. Good enough? Not to mention he's learning from some guy named Richard Petty.
    He learned a lot from Bill Elliot. It doesn't mean anything when the team he drives for is re tarded.
    edited July 2009
    I love how Mayfield was enough of a pussy to go to court with his case, rather than NASCAR. I hope his team folds and shows him that the courtroom and the track don't mix.
    edited July 2009
    mimic;2654456 said:
    He learned a lot from Bill Elliot. It doesn't mean anything when the team he drives for is re tarded.
    You make fun of Jr., then say the same thing his fans did a couple years ago...

I'll admit that the sport's in bad shape, though. They call cautions for every spin now, and usually wait until they start going again! Seriously wtf!? Of course you'd never know because they'e always doing commercial breaks. "Was that Stewart passing Gordon for the lead"? "I don't know, we'll find out as soon as we're done hearing about Smilin' Bob."