Aerosmith VS Van Halen

edited March 2009 in History of Rock
The other day in school, my friend says that the best band in the world is Aerosmith. Then my other friend comes up, punches the first friend, and says that Van Halen is the best band ever. So, what's your guys' opinion?

Comments

• SkittlesSkittles Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Aerosmith
  • benson111benson111 Eater of Fine Cupcakes
    edited February 2009
    Neither are the "Best Band In The World", but of the two Van Halen is superior,

**In My Opinion**
  • Stones_ClashStones_Clash Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    well, neither of them are the best bands ever. from what ive heard of both, id probably give the edge to van halen, but i might say aerosmith tomorrow. pretty even in my mind.
  • JMcQ77JMcQ77 Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    If your question is who is better between Aerosmith and Van Halen, that's easy? Van Halen. Neither band, however, are the "best ever"...
  • ShacklersRevengeShacklersRevenge Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Nirvana is better than both.
  • ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    Well, not saying Van Halen is the BEST but yeah, Van Halen. Personally, I am biased, as I just hate Aerosmith, but Van Halen has a better singer and guitarist. EVH is one of the best guitarist ever, if not THE best. Also, to me, voice is relative to your musical tastes, and i Find David Lee Roth's Voice immensely better then Steve Perry's. Never really paid much attention to the drumming or bass of either band surprisingly, so won't comment. Now this is all opinion, as I am too opinionated to give a fair, balanced judgment between them.
  • SkittlesSkittles Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    ClassicRockFanatic23;1975808 said:
    Well, not saying Van Halen is the BEST but yeah, Van Halen. Personally, I am biased, as I just hate Aerosmith, but Van Halen has a better singer and guitarist. EVH is one of the best guitarist ever, if not THE best. Also, to me, voice is relative to your musical tastes, and i Find David Lee Roth's Voice immensely better then Steve Perry's. Never really paid much attention to the drumming or bass of either band surprisingly, so won't comment. Now this is all opinion, as I am too opinionated to give a fair, balanced judgment between them.
    Steve Perrys was in Journey
  • ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    Skittles;1975816 said:
    Steve Perrys was in Journey
    crap! Its Tyler! Like I said, I hate Aerosmith.....
  • TheDeanTheDean Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Van Halen wins by a little bit. Both are extremely great bands though imo.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Neither one are my favorites, but I prefer Aerosmith by a long shot.
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    instantdeath999;1975997 said:
    neither one are my favorites, but i prefer aerosmith by a long shot.
    qft.
  • edited February 2009
    Van Halen ALL THE WAY. Edward Van Halen was rated as one of the worlds best guitar players!
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Both bands were ferocious when they burst on the scene. Raw, hungry, energetic and exciting. Both had great fontmen, solid rythm sections, and fine guitar work. Both pussed out, Aerosmith post-Pump and Van Halen after Roth left. Pretty equal on all fronts.

That being said I prefer VH.
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Aerosmith is much better than Van Halen, but both are absolutely terrible.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I kind of like Aerosmith, but am completely indifferent towards Van Halen, so, Aerosmith. Also, I kind of feel as if Van Halen has largely ruined the instrument of the electric guitar.
    edited February 2009
    MronoC;1976663 said:
    I kind of like Aerosmith, but am completely indifferent towards Van Halen, so, Aerosmith. Also, I kind of feel as if Van Halen has largely ruined the instrument of the electric guitar.
    :confused: really?

Explain.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    benson111;1976947 said:
    :confused: really?

Explain.
    popularization of redundant wank.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Van Halen wins this one by a mile.
    edited February 2009
    MronoC;1976961 said:
    popularization of redundant wank.
    So far i have heard nothing rundundent in Van Halen Guitar work.

But each to there own,.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited February 2009
    I think he means that Eddie was the first "Shredder" type, which is redundant.
    edited February 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;1977010 said:
    I think he means that Eddie was the first "Shredder" type, which is redundant.
    I suppose. ?

Still one of the best guitar players of all time. ( IMO )
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Definately Van Halen. I highly prefer David Lee Roth and EVH to Aerosmith. But that is probably because I'm biased. DLR went to PCC and my mom saw them at a backyard concert way back when they were starting out ans she bumped into EVH. Sounds epic.
  • blackfeltfedorablackfeltfedora Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    If I had a choice between a classic Van Halen album (ie not Van Hagar) or a classic Aerosmith album (ie nothing after Pump) I would choose the Van Halen album 9 times out of 10. However Aerosmith has had some fairly impressive longevity (disregarding the creepiness of a geriatric Steven Tyler serenading teen-age girls) and played a part in introducing rap to the mainstream. I'll call it a draw.

----------------
    Now playing: Conifer - Cruciform Empennage
    via FoxyTunes
  • Ben-DBIBen-DBI Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    personally, i prefer aerosmith
  • JerryBrudosJerryBrudos Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    Both bands have some stuff I really like and both have some stuff thats god awful, I haven't looked too deeply into either but from what I've seen neither are very consistent when it comes to me liking them. That being said of the songs I like I probably like Van Halen's more.
  • Chris071Chris071 Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    I can't choose between the two as I like both very much (psssst it's Van Halen, don't tell anybody ;))
  • ArmsAreLoudArmsAreLoud Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Roth-Era Van Halen>Aerosmith>Hagar-Era Van Halen. Bigger gap between Aerosmith and Hagar than Roth and Aerosmith, though.
  • gmarshgmarsh Headliner
    edited March 2009
    neither are the best band, but i would go with van halen
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
    thedoorsdk;1976599 said:
    Aerosmith is much better than Van Halen, but both are absolutely terrible.
    I agree.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    I much prefer early Van Halen over Aerosmith, but Aerosmith's first couple albums were pretty good (I dig Get Your Wings).