the hard rock holy trinity

classicrockdudeclassicrockdude Headliner
edited February 2009 in History of Rock
Black Sabbath's Paranoid, Led Zeppelin IV, and Deep Purple's Machine Head are considered the three best hard rock albums of all time. Which one is your favorite? I would say Led Zeppelin IV, Because it rocks(the other two rock to)

Comments

• afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    definitely paranoid.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Paranoid, followed by Machine Head.
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Paranoid.
    Though it's worth pointing out that none of those are the greatest hard rock albums, nor do they represent the best work of their respective artists.
    In my opinion.
  • classicrockdudeclassicrockdude Headliner
    edited February 2009
    thedoorsdk;1985151 said:
    Paranoid.
    Though it's worth pointing out that none of those are the greatest hard rock albums, nor do they represent the best work of their respective artists.
    In my opinion.
    but, they were the most Influential albums by them.
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Live at Leeds...

From the poll it has to be Paranoid.
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I'm among the rare few here at the forums who prefer Zeppelin. So, Zeppelin IV.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    IV is definitely Zep's best, and I consider it the best of those three albums.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Paranoid although for Deep Purple I would have chosen In Rock and I would add The Who's Live At Leeds as well
    edited February 2009
    classicrockdude;1985165 said:
    but, they were the most Influential albums by them.
    I'm not really sure I'd agree with this either. They're certainly the most well-known, but I think Sabbath's influence stems largely from elements that were introduced on their first album. Led Zep IV is actually a bit of a regression for Zep after III, which (to me, at least) combined more diverse influences and was much more ambitious.
    I mean, I'm not trying to get down on your poll or anything, because these are all great records (though I think IV is definitely in the bottom half of my personal list of favorite LZ albums). I just don't think any of these records are the definitive sound of these bands or the hard rock movement in general.
  • spoonytoothspoonytooth Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Definitely gotta go with Machine Head, that's always been my favorite album of all time.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    classicrockdude;1985120 said:
    Black Sabbath's Paranoid, Led Zeppelin IV, and Deep Purple's Machine Head are considered the three best hard rock albums of all time. Which one is your favorite? I would say Led Zeppelin IV, Because it rocks(the other two rock to)
    By Whom? People who have only listened to those 3 records?
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Soror_YZBL;1989244 said:
    By Whom? People who have only listened to those 3 records?
    QFT

actually here is how I would rate the bands in general

Deep Purple >>>> Led Zeppelin > Black Sabbath
  • gmarshgmarsh Headliner
    edited February 2009
    I voted Zeppelin IV, not my favorite, but I think it is the greater of the three, and I respect it. Paranoid comes in a close second.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Zeppelin IV is barely a Hard Rock album, let alone a great Hard Rock album. Battle of Evermore, Going to California, and Stairway to Heaven aren't really Hard Rock, and of the remaining songs, Four Sticks and Misty Mountain Hop aren't very good. When the Levee Breaks is good, but too slow to be a great Hard Rock song.

Rock & Roll and Black Dog are really the only great Hard Rock songs on the album. Led Zeppelin II is a much better example of the Hard Rock sound.
    edited February 2009
    Whaaaat, you're telling me RnR and Black Dog are better than Misty Mountain Hop?
    Blasphemy!
    MMH and When the Levee Breaks are easily my favorite songs on the record. In fact, they're 2 of 3 songs (the other being Going to California) that I would say are essential from that record.
    The rest I can give or take.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    WingsOfSteel;2006148 said:
    Zeppelin IV is barely a Hard Rock album, let alone a great Hard Rock album. Battle of Evermore, Going to California, and Stairway to Heaven aren't really Hard Rock, and of the remaining songs, Four Sticks and Misty Mountain Hop aren't very good. When the Levee Breaks is good, but too slow to be a great Hard Rock song.

Rock & Roll and Black Dog are really the only great Hard Rock songs on the album. Led Zeppelin II is a much better example of the Hard Rock sound.
    wha-
    ...huh?
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Fizzeler;1989883 said:

Deep Purple >>>> Led Zeppelin > Black Sabbath
    Black Sabbath is not THAT bad.
    edited February 2009
    Insane3;2010361 said:
    Black Sabbath is not THAT bad.
    i don't think Fizzeler means Sabbath is bad
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    classicrockdude;2010403 said:
    i don't think Fizzeler means Sabbath is bad
    I meant Led Zeppelin is bad.

But relax, I recognize they are talented.
  • Teh_JakesterTeh_Jakester Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    TC needs to get Led Zeppelin I, Led Zeppelin II, Born Again, Master of Reality, Burn and In Rock.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited February 2009
    MronoC;2007454 said:
    wha-
    ...huh?
    I mean, when I hear the song, I don't think "Hard Rock" I think "Blues-y and shuffly" It doesn't mean it's a BAD song, it's actually one of the best on IV, but since we're talking about LZIV being a great Hard Rock album, I didn't feel it was part of that.

LZI & LZII are both a lot closer to the Hard Rock sound.
  • DalamariDalamari Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Who's Next over Machine Head, and I'd personally rather listen to Zep II over IV
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    WingsOfSteel;2012217 said:
    I mean, when I hear the song, I don't think "Hard Rock" I think "Blues-y and shuffly" It doesn't mean it's a BAD song, it's actually one of the best on IV, but since we're talking about LZIV being a great Hard Rock album, I didn't feel it was part of that.

Led Zeppelin 1 has it's share of slow songs, specifically Dazed and Confused and both Willie Dixon songs. I don't think speed should be a factor in hard rock, sometimes the slow stuff is the most hard-hitting, as bands like Black Sabbath and the Melvins have shown.
    edited February 2009
    WingsOfSteel;2012217 said:

yes, i prefer Zeppelin's II over IV. But, from what most people think these are the bands best albums.I also Prefer In Rock over Machine Head.