Music is my Life (literally)

PenguinTipperPenguinTipper Opening Act
edited February 2009 in History of Rock
I have a little story to share.

When my girl friend broke my heart, i felt like my life was over. i was ready to marry her, i was ready to start a family with her. i didn't want to live without her. Everyone said i was too young to think that since i'm still in highschool but i didn't care. i was ready. when she ended it, i was in a depression that i couldn't get out of. One day i was listening to music and Rise Against came on. usually i just change music because i didn't really care for them, but that day i decided to listen. I loved them. I listened to more songs and then bought the new album. it got me out of depression and may have saved my life.

If music has changed your life in a positive way, post it.

Comments

• WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Only in the last year have I become a huge musical person. I've always played instruments, sang, and listened to lots of music, but only recently did I discover metal, which I've got a current obsession with. I really hope it lasts. My current life ambition is to become accomplished with my guitar playing skills classically and to be good enough to apply that skill to everything. Basically, I would like to become a musician that plays everything from classical to metal to jazz to blues. If that happens, then music will certainly have changed my life positively.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Never has music reflected my feelings that intensely or be that dictating. For me music was always an art form and an expression, more like fiction, books, movies, or any other form of art. I have yet to have such personal impact. I like to listen to revel in its beauty and composition.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited February 2009
    WhiffleBallTony;1986294 said:
    Only in the last year have I become a huge musical person. I've always played instruments, sang, and listened to lots of music, but only recently did I discover metal, which I've got a current obsession with. I really hope it lasts. My current life ambition is to become accomplished with my guitar playing skills classically and to be good enough to apply that skill to everything. Basically, I would like to become a musician that plays everything from classical to metal to jazz to blues. If that happens, then music will certainly have changed my life positively.
    I keep telling you, come to PA so we can form a sludge metal band! Yes, it won't happen, but it would be awesome, you can't deny that, haha.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Music is a soundtrack. When I was suicidal last, it provided the music with which I did awful things to myself and others around me, but when I came out of that, I found that certain artists had songs that touched me and helped me feel better.

I don't know that music has made me feel better, because it's aided in my feeling worse as well. It merely aids me in focusing feelings.
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited February 2009
    When I'm feeling less-than-happy-as-a-clown, music can get me back up to clown status. Rarely do I go without music. I wake up to it, I fall asleep to it, and I plan on basing my life around it. Without it, life would be one long Monday. It hasn't made me have an epihany (sp?) or anything, but in a world sans-music, I'd have a completley different view on life, religeon, people, and everything else.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited February 2009
    Listening to music helps me get by (Beck's Sea Change has helped me through many a breakup) but I try my best to not write any music on breakups or other letdowns to avoid making clich
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Not to be a **** or rain on the parade or anything, but ending your life over a relationship is silly.

Anyways, music is pretty much what I'm completely dedicated to. I'm constantly looking at things in the context of how I could apply that to music. Hell, I've even tried converting some of my Scantrons into notation before just to see how it works.
    edited February 2009
    One of my pastimes is thinking of ways to innovate music or to develop a new subgenre. I went through a short time where I was focusing on ambience in particular and I just listened to the sounds of nature and society, figuring out how they would work musically, or building a sound around the ambience in my mind to form a song. I usually fall back into that mood after injecting myself with a heavy dose of drone, electronic and/or ambient music.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Hungryfreak;1987202 said:
    One of my pastimes is thinking of ways to innovate music or to develop a new subgenre. I went through a short time where I was focusing on ambience in particular and I just listened to the sounds of nature and society, figuring out how they would work musically, or building a sound around the ambience in my mind to form a song. I usually fall back into that mood after injecting myself with a heavy dose of drone, electronic and/or ambient music.
    I really don't take the time to listen to the wind often enough :( ...sigh...

Anyway, in addition to the typical "socially maladjusted kid growing up in the suburbs with divorced parents channels frustrations through Slipknot, Lamb of God, and similarly unremarkable metal bands" story, the musical "Into the Woods" by Stephen Sondheim was pivotal in shaping my views on morality from a very early age.
  • KasilKasil Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    May I ask what Rise Against song? Just wondering. I really like the new album and the singles have been decent.
    edited February 2009
    MronoC;1987365 said:
    I really don't take the time to listen to the wind often enough :( ...sigh...
    It's always quite cool. It just tantalizes me, though, since I don't have the ability to write down or musically express the results of my mental experimentations, haha.
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Kasil;1987381 said:
    May I ask what Rise Against song? Just wondering. I really like the new album and the singles have been decent.
    If I had to guess it was probably either Survive or Swing Life Away.
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Coma by GNR saved my life last year when I slipped into a deep depression (suicidal thoughts at Disney World=biggest mix of two unmixable things ever).

Coincidentally, when I listen to it now, old feelings re-emerge and get my blood flowing. Perfect for sporting events.
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I think a lot of people stumble across the right band at exactly the right time, and it feels like every song they write is written about your own personal experiences.
    First time I got my heart broken I was a freshman in college, and I started listening to the Allman Brothers Band (like, really listening, outside of the singles). I honestly couldn't believe how applicable songs like Whippin' Post, Trouble No More, and Black Hearted Woman were to the way I felt.
    And yeah, I know those songs convey pretty generic feelings, but they still connected with me on a pretty deep level.
    edited February 2009
    MronoC;1987365 said:
    Anyway, in addition to the typical "socially maladjusted kid growing up in the suburbs with divorced parents channels frustrations through Slipknot, Lamb of God, and similarly unremarkable metal bands" story, the musical "Into the Woods" by Stephen Sondheim was pivotal in shaping my views on morality from a very early age.
    My problems as a young teenager were non-existent, to be honest. My family have always been fair and I've never had much to rebel against. So, other than an uneasy guilt in relation to the crap family structures of friends at the time, I was ok.
    Once I came to university, all sorts of bad **** went down, and I guess you could track my obssession with all pop and party music back into post-punk and beyond through that. Nick Cave verbalised my misery.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Lolicat;1988345 said:
    My problems as a young teenager were non-existent, to be honest. My family have always been fair and I've never had much to rebel against. So, other than an uneasy guilt in relation to the crap family structures of friends at the time, I was ok.
    Once I came to university, all sorts of bad **** went down, and I guess you could track my obssession with all pop and party music back into post-punk and beyond through that. Nick Cave verbalised my misery.
    I really didn't have any problems, either. No real problems, anyway. My parents have always been supportive and considerate, and the divorce didn't really bother me that much. What kind of sent me down the "angry, generic, suburban metalhead" path was when they both go remarried, especially when my dad got married to a women with nine kids whom he had only known for a few months, and really, that had more to do with me not having my own room, anymore. I kind of go crazy if there's no where I can go to isolate myself.
    edited February 2009
    MronoC;1988461 said:
    I kind of go crazy if there's no where I can go to isolate myself.
    Hear hear, and music is a part of that too.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Music ruined my life. :)
    edited February 2009
    Life should be a musical.
    edited February 2009
    I honestly can't listen to Nick Cave right now because I just go together with someone on the 13th.

I really dig his voice though, reminds me a lot of how mine can sound.
  • TheCrimsonSaintTheCrimsonSaint Headliner
    edited February 2009
    thedoorsdk;1987665 said:
    I think a lot of people stumble across the right band at exactly the right time, and it feels like every song they write is written about your own personal experiences.
    First time I got my heart broken I was a freshman in college, and I started listening to the Allman Brothers Band (like, really listening, outside of the singles). I honestly couldn't believe how applicable songs like Whippin' Post, Trouble No More, and Black Hearted Woman were to the way I felt.
    And yeah, I know those songs convey pretty generic feelings, but they still connected with me on a pretty deep level.
    This about sums up my discovery of St. Anger. Odds are, if my summer had gone differently, I would hate that album just like everyone else.
  • DasKonstructDasKonstruct Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    for me its a harsh mistress. I love music and I love making music.

My problem is I've been knee deep in music for so long that I've heard a lot repetition in bands and composition. I'm always having to look for new sounds and its getting rarer and rarer. So I find myself getting very bored about the hot new thing or the supposed legends of music when I've already listened to their inspirations and see where it comes from.

What drives me nuts is running into writers block as well as spending 3 hours getting something to sound perfect. Since all I use is audio mixing software with no real board it takes longer than normal to turn fake knobs and sitting there for 20 minutes while audio is rendering and then doesn't sound like I expected it would then looking at the clock and its 5 in the morning.

Music is awesome and I love it but damn it can be a double edged knife.
    edited February 2009
    I find that my writing ends up better if I don't force it.
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I tend to get mostly positive energy from music, and it has helped me during some bad stretches (never serious).

It must also be said that my less than mainstream taste in music has lead me to social alienation at periods in my life (a year spent at boarding school in particular) that helped put me into those bad places.
  • onidragononidragon Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I was in a bit of a depression until I got Weezer's red album(pathetic, I know). It got me hooked on to music, and soon I got Weezer's first two albums, Ziggy Stardust, and eventually two of my favorite albums, Nothing's Shocking and Nevermind.
    edited February 2009
    Ziggy Stardust is the best album for teenage years ever.
  • jaycizzojaycizzo Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    This may sound weird but when I was a depressed teenager I would listen to angry depressing music and kind of revel in feeling that way and eventually I'd feel better. The Dirt album from Alice In Chains was probably the top one that fit into this category.

My mood directly affects what kind of music I want to listen to. If I'm in a happy upbeat mood I'll throw on some Postal Service or Arctic Monkeys. If I'm pissed it's Unearth, Parkway Drive, As I Lay Dying, etc. If I'm feeling a little down I'm probably listening to Depeche Mode, Interpol, etc.
    edited February 2009
    jaycizzo;2014054 said:
    This may sound weird but when I was a depressed teenager I would listen to angry depressing music and kind of revel in feeling that way and eventually I'd feel better. The Dirt album from Alice In Chains was probably the top one that fit into this category.

My mood directly affects what kind of music I want to listen to. If I'm in a happy upbeat mood I'll throw on some Postal Service or Arctic Monkeys. If I'm pissed it's Unearth, Parkway Drive, As I Lay Dying, etc. If I'm feeling a little down I'm probably listening to Depeche Mode, Interpol, etc.

Yea, we have a word for that in the English language, it's not weird at all. Catharsis, blame Aristotle for that one.
  • jaycizzojaycizzo Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Lolicat;2014413 said:
    Yea, we have a word for that in the English language, it's not weird at all. Catharsis, blame Aristotle for that one.
    I guess most of the people I know would be the opposite. If they were mad they would listen to happy music to cheer themselves up. I guess the part that I considered weird was that I got to the point where I almost enjoyed being in a bad mood. I guess that's not really weird either, I just never really knew anyone else like that.
    edited February 2009
    jaycizzo;2014438 said:
    I guess most of the people I know would be the opposite. If they were mad they would listen to happy music to cheer themselves up. I guess the part that I considered weird was that I got to the point where I almost enjoyed being in a bad mood. I guess that's not really weird either, I just never really knew anyone else like that.
    Cartharsis is the only way to roll, bro. All this 'happy stuff for sad times' nonsense is rubbish.