My 10 greatest hard rock songs

gmarshgmarsh Headliner
edited February 2009 in History of Rock
I'm making my own thread of what I think is the 10 greatest hard rock songs.

#10 Ozzy Osbourne- Crazy Train
#9 Jimi Hendrix- Purple Haze
#8 Guns' N Roses- Welcome to the Jungle
#7 Metallica- Enter Sandman
#6 Deep Purple- Smoke on the Water
#5 The Who- Won't Get fooled again
#4 Led Zeppelin- Whole Lotta Love
#3 Black Sabbath- Paranoid
#2 Ac/Dc- Back In Black
#1 Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven

Vote for what you think is the greatest.
If what you think is the greatest, wasn't on my list. Simply reply "Other"

Some want me to clarify wether this list is more influential, or just good songs. Looking over this list again, it consists of mainly influential songs. But songs like back in black, and crazy trains are songs that got the band/solo artist back on there feet after a death in the band or being kicked out of the band, and has lead them onto success.
And a song like stairway to heaven ain't exactly something i would bang my head to, but it is a great/ and influential song. Just great all around/ influential songs, not entirely sure how to describe it.

Comments

• ArmsAreLoudArmsAreLoud Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    OK, just for the fact that Stairway to Heaven is anywhere near that list, let alone at number one, you get an instant fail.

Also, literally every band on that list has a better song.
  • gmarshgmarsh Headliner
    edited February 2009
    ArmsAreLoud;2005880 said:
    OK, just for the fact that Stairway to Heaven is anywhere near that list, let alone at number one, you get an instant fail.

So what you're saying is that stairway to heaven had no affect on rock history at all.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    gmarsh;2005859 said:

Yes Smoke On The Water is a good song, but it is definitely not the best Deep Purple song and definitely not one of their most influential I would go with Child In Time over Smoke On The Water

The other 2 just made me think why are these on the list?
    edited February 2009
    gmarsh;2005903 said:
    So what you're saying is that stairway to heaven had no affect on rock history at all.
    No, I'm not saying that. StH became a holy cow of the rock genre, lifted on a perch that it did not deserve and came to the point that all critics of it (such as myself) are considered fools by those who simply soak in what the media sells to them. However, just because the media has declared it better than Jesus does not mean that it is a good song, or even a top tier Zep song.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    i think the best song on your list is "paranoid".
  • Teh_JakesterTeh_Jakester Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    gmarsh;2005859 said:

#10 Ozzy Osbourne- Crazy Train
    #9 Jimi Hendrix- Purple Haze
    #5 The Who- Won't Get fooled again
    #4 Led Zeppelin- Whole Lotta Love
    #3 Black Sabbath- Paranoid
    #2 Ac/Dc- Back In Black
    #1 Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven

tl;dr:
    Cliche songs that practically no one here will agree with.

Btw, the best song there is Whole Lotta Love. I love that lick near the middle.
  • dalcytedalcyte Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Fizzeler;2005927 said:
    Yes Smoke On The Water is a good song, but it is definitely not the best Deep Purple song and definitely not one of their most influential I would go with Child In Time over Smoke On The Water

The other 2 just made me think why are these on the list?

Ok lol, the author of this kind of needs to clarify whether this is influential or greatest...because they're different. Hitler was influential, but i wouldn't say he was really really amazing. If you're going in terms of amazing, no, Smoke on the Water and Stairway to Heaven are not the best songs by their respective bands (in most people's opinion). But influential? Um, yes. yes. yes. yes and yes 1500x more times. Smoke On the Water has one of the most influential and if not the most recognizable guitar riffs ever. Stairway To Heaven is just so pervasive in our culture, i would definitely say it's influential.
  • DalamariDalamari Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    All the songs on that list are songs I'd expect to see on some bland top 40 list somewhere. I've heard them all so much they've become nothing but soulless riffs you hear at Guitar Center.

Go deeper and make a new post.
  • onidragononidragon Road Warrior
    edited February 2009

^this.

Well, except Jimi, which I think his best song is a tie between Purple Haze, his cover of All Along The Watchtower, and Foxy Lady.
  • MovieFreak921MovieFreak921 Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    Stairway to Heaven (in my opinion) is one of the most overrated songs of all time, especially the solo.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    MovieFreak921;2014852 said:
    Stairway to Heaven (in my opinion) is one of the most overrated songs of all time, especially the solo.
    It's structurally fantastic, but musically pretty boring.
  • classicrockdudeclassicrockdude Headliner
    edited February 2009
    MovieFreak921;2014852 said:
    Stairway is my favorite solo, but it is not the best
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Stairway barely qualifies as a hard rock song.
  • BubBub Generic Person
    edited February 2009
    Out of that list I say "Won't Get Fooled Again".
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited February 2009
    *Insert elitist post that over-analyzes music for the OP's top 10 lameass classic rock radio hits and mention how he is a newbie to music and a failure in life and then proceed with an all knowing statement about something nebulous like influence or comment on the musicianship of any of the songs with more authority than the ghosts of all music legends combined.*
    edited February 2009
    Julio_Strikes_Back;2015273 said:
    you could say the end of the song is hard rock
  • Julio_Strikes_BackJulio_Strikes_Back Headliner
    edited February 2009
    classicrockdude;2015372 said:
    you could say the end of the song is hard rock
    So? That's just the ending. Most of it is a soft ballad.
    edited February 2009
    Julio_Strikes_Back;2015379 said:
    well, the song isen't really hard rock at all. was just saying the end is kinda
    edited February 2009
    Julio_Strikes_Back;2015273 said:
    Barely?! Try not at all.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2015342 said:
    *Insert elitist post that over-analyzes music for the OP's top 10 lameass classic rock radio hits and mention how he is a newbie to music and a failure in life and then proceed with an all knowing statement about something nebulous like influence or comment on the musicianship of any of the songs with more authority than the ghosts of all music legends combined.*
    Very, very accurate.
    Julio_Strikes_Back;2015379 said:
    Teh_Jakester;2019143 said:
    Barely?! Try not at all.
    I would still consider it a hard rock song. Elvis did many ballads that were still considered "Rock N Roll".
    edited February 2009
    Stairway is hard rock, but barely if you ask me
    edited February 2009
    instantdeath999;2019502 said:
    I would still consider it a hard rock song. Elvis did many ballads that were still considered "Rock N Roll".
    It's a Rock song, no doubt, but I don't consider slow guitar playing, hardly any drums or bass and moaning vocals very Hard Rock. If it was just the solo onward,
    A: It would be Hard Rock.
    B: I wouldn't loathe it.
    edited February 2009
    @instantdeath999: Rock was different in the 50's, though. Jailhouse Rock in the 50's was like Battery in the 80's. When Stairway came out, it wasn't even as "heavy" as some pop songs.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Teh_Jakester;2019729 said:
    It's a Rock song, no doubt, but I don't consider slow guitar playing, hardly any drums or bass and moaning vocals very Hard Rock. If it was just the solo onward,
    A: It would be Hard Rock.
    B: I wouldn't loathe it.
    hardly any drums and bass? it's not like their silent for a majority of the song, and without the climbing structure, there's really no point at all to the song, and again, slow doesn't mean soft. I'm not saying the song is hard rock, I'm just saying your arguments are awful.
    edited February 2009
    MronoC;2019799 said:
    hardly any drums and bass? it's not like their silent for a majority of the song, and without the climbing structure, there's really no point at all to the song, and again, slow doesn't mean soft. I'm not saying the song is hard rock, I'm just saying your arguments are awful.
    I had no idea the song had a point to begin with.