100 Greatest Rock Guitarists

xxxN1GH7M4R3xxxxxxN1GH7M4R3xxx Opening Act
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
Since Rolling Stone's version of this was an epic fail in my opinion. Here, I think, is a much better compiled list. Still flawed, but see what you guys think of it.

http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best_newguitar.html

Top 200, then those below fall under "Honorable Mention" category.

"Guitarists are ranked for their impact, influence, creativity, versatility, originality, technical skill and lasting popularity in the genre of Rock guitar."

Comments

• FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    xxxN1GH7M4R3xxx;2011608 said:
    Since Rolling Stone's version of this was an epic fail in my opinion. Here, I think, is a much better compiled list. Still flawed, but see what you guys think of it.

http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/best_newguitar.html

Top 200, then those below fall under "Honorable Mention" category.

"Guitarists are ranked for their impact, influence, creativity, versatility, originality, technical skill and lasting popularity in the genre of Rock guitar."
    Actually not that bad of list better than the Rolling Stones one IMO
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Posted Before.

Can I live with Eddie being the best non-British guitarist alive today?
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    At least Howe, DeMartini, and Frehley are on there. They're perhaps my favorite guitarists.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Just once, I'd like to see Dr. Know or Buzz Osbourne on a guitar player list. Also, no Robert Johnson?
    edited February 2009
    MronoC;2011694 said:
    Just once, I'd like to see Dr. Know or Buzz Osbourne on a guitar player list. Also, no Robert Johnson?
    100 Greatest ROCK Guitarists
    edited February 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;2011712 said:
    100 Greatest ROCK Guitarists
    The big text is redundant, unless your goal is more to annoy than inform.
    edited February 2009
    MronoC;2011794 said:
    The big text is redundant, unless your goal is more to annoy than inform.
    Only one word is redundant? Besides, I haven't used big text in a while. besides, my point is Robert Johnson is not Rock, and it's a list of Rock guitarists.
    edited February 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;2011804 said:
    Only one word is redundant? Besides, I haven't used big text in a while. besides, my point is Robert Johnson is not Rock, and it's a list of Rock guitarists.
    yes, I got that that was your point, and my point is that italics, bold, and underline more than suffice to emphasize a word.
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Duane Allman at 19?
    He should at least be in the top 10.
    Instant dismissal.
  • classicrockdudeclassicrockdude Headliner
    edited February 2009
    uhhhhhhhhhhhh, did i just see Morello oveer Townshend??
  • ardshipmanardshipman Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Ted Nugent, Richie Sambora, George Lynch, And Reb Beach not in the top 100. Epic Fail!
  • ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    Slash>Townshend? Eh...... That's a little stupid IMO. I mean, Townshend isn't amazing but hes better then Slash!
  • PwnageMongerPwnageMonger Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I find that most of these "lists" tend to annoy the crap out of me. I could just as easily make a list of what I feel are the top 100 rock guitarists, and it would have about as much credibility.

I wish, at least, when people made these so-called "top {insert number here} lists" that they would state the criteria for choosing musicians... or at the very least, a reason would be stated for why so-and-so edged out so-and-so on the list (i.e. albums sold, artists influenced, how much their style has been imitated, training, etc...). Then again, most of those reasons would be rather ambiguous and basically fall prey to the same flaws the usual "top" lists have - the creator's opinion, and not so much fact.
    edited February 2009
    PwnageMonger;2015907 said:
    Yeah, I find that most of these "lists" tend to annoy the crap out of me. I could just as easily make a list of what I feel are the top 100 rock guitarists, and it would have about as much credibility.

I wish, at least, when people made these so-called "top {insert number here} lists" that they would state the criteria for choosing musicians... or at the very least, a reason would be stated for why so-and-so edged out so-and-so on the list (i.e. albums sold, artists influenced, how much their style has been imitated, training, etc...). Then again, most of those reasons would be rather ambiguous and basically fall prey to the same flaws the usual "top" lists have - the creator's opinion, and not so much fact.
    They did that on this list.
  • PwnageMongerPwnageMonger Unsigned
    edited February 2009
    Rockbandfan23467;2015989 said:
    They did that on this list.
    Indeed they did, hence my comment that "Then again, most of those reasons would be rather ambiguous and basically fall prey to the same flaws the usual "top" lists have - the creator's opinion, and not so much fact." :)

It's nice, at least, to see it stated and that the rankings vary a little from the normal "Top 100" lists from major publications. But, man... I won't even let myself stare at the list long enough for it to sink in, which would cause me to begin rambling about things like, "{x} is ranked higher than {y}?! You've got to be kidding me."
    edited February 2009
    ClassicRockFanatic23;2015886 said:
    Slash>Townshend? Eh...... That's a little stupid IMO. I mean, Townshend isn't amazing but hes better then Slash!
    better then putting Tom Morello over Townshend:rolleyes:. I mean what the hell? Morello sucks
  • limelight_rushlimelight_rush Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Crapiani (Satriani) over Gilmoure?

Instant Dismisal
    edited February 2009
    classicrockdude;2016103 said:
    better then putting Tom Morello over Townshend:rolleyes:. I mean what the hell? Morello sucks
    I don't think Morello's amazing, but he's a hell of a lot better than Slash.
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I think the virtuoso's are ranked a bit high. Minus Satriani (his influnence is huge, mainly because of his amazing student list (Skolnick, Hammet, Vai, etc.).

Also, nice seeing Alex Skolnick on there.
  • ArmsAreLoudArmsAreLoud Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Seen the list before. Seriously, how is Thayil only #171? The dude's amazing; he can write rythmic stuff that doesn't all sound the same and can still play some ridiculous solos. I think Satch is fine where he is, considering so many of the most renowned guitarists of our day would never have learned to be as good as they are without him. I commend DDD for neglecting Cobain before the "Honorable Mentions", but I think Tommy Shaw is a better guitarist then him.
    edited February 2009
    MronoC;2017128 said:
    I don't think Morello's amazing, but he's a hell of a lot better than Slash.
    is he better then Townshend:rolleyes:.
    edited February 2009
    classicrockdude;2019239 said:
    is he better then Townshend:rolleyes:.
    It's not like Townshend's amazing, his influence as a songwriter and a showman were much more important than his influence as a guitarist. He was also technically sloppy and unimpressive.

My point was that you seemed to be making a bigger deal of Morello outplacing him than Slash outplacing him.
    edited February 2009
    MronoC;2019262 said:
    It's not like Townshend's amazing, his influence as a songwriter and a showman were much more important than his influence as a guitarist. He was also technically sloppy and unimpressive.

My point was that you seemed to be making a bigger deal of Morello outplacing him than Slash outplacing him.
    well, I think Slash is better then Morello, Buts that just my opinion
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    MronoC;2019262 said:

Yeah, his lead playing was sloppy but his rhythm work is excellent. I agree it's the showmanship etc. that makes him stand out from others.
  • packerfan8675309packerfan8675309 Bladder of Steal
    edited February 2009
    maybe Blackmore is a little too high.
    edited February 2009
    packerfan8675309;2024527 said:
    maybe Blackmore is a little too high.
    Blackmore rocks.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited February 2009
    Yngwie is THAT up there? Tom Morello, and Alex Lifeson should've been a bit higher up. Other than that, the list seems good.
  • zeldazeppelinzeldazeppelin Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    Jimmy page in the top 5? Wtf this list fails. plus again only freaking English speaking guitarist for the most part. List like this that exclude non English speaking guitarists and put people like Jimmy page in the top 5 have no real merit and therefore fail. I think that some one like Hide deserves to be on this list but they will never get a chance which is sad.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    zeldazeppelin;2024984 said:
    Jimmy page in the top 5? Wtf this list fails. plus again only freaking English speaking guitarist for the most part. List like this that exclude non English speaking guitarists and put people like Jimmy page in the top 5 have no real merit and therefore fail. I think that some one like Hide deserves to be on this list but they will never get a chance which is sad.
    Two massive empires that spread their culture throughout the globe were anglophonic, get used to it!
  • HamsterhitmanHamsterhitman Rising Star
    edited February 2009
    I cannot take any list that has Yngwie Malmsteen in the top 100 (let alone at 15 and ranked higher than Duane Allman) seriously.