Ever heard of the band Versailles?

rustinator5rustinator5 Opening Act
edited February 2009 in History of Rock
Hey guys, well I just heard this band called Versailles. They're a Visual Kei as well as a Symphonic Power Metal band from Japan and they sound really cool. Check them out if you haven't already.

Versailles - The Revenant Choir
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5827EPsAOis

Versailles - Aristocrat's Symphony
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7gzrEHi44c

Versailles - Silent Knight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWdgZRVnTmM

Comments

  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    I hate that whole visual kei thing, moreso when people consider it a genre. The Japanese media terms bands we think of as nu-metal 'visual kei'.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Hahahahahahahahaha. Are they seriously dressed like that? Is visual kei synonymous with circus clown?
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    I have heard of them only because I like Symphonic Metal
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2022738 said:
    Hahahahahahahahaha. Are they seriously dressed like that? Is visual kei synonymous with circus clown?
    Someone hasn't followed the youth trends...
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Lolicat;2022767 said:
    Someone hasn't followed the youth trends...
    Well I dont follow Japan much like I used to, to be honest. I know a lot other "OmG aZn" doods are into Japan (really they lost me at Final Fantasy 8 with their JPOPS) but I much prefer the other side of the world where its all about vikings, war songs, and drinking.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2022800 said:
    Well I dont follow Japan much like I used to, to be honest. I know a lot other "OmG aZn" doods are into Japan (really they lost me at Final Fantasy 8 with their JPOPS) but I much prefer the other side of the world where its all about vikings, war songs, and drinking.
    Yea, Japan is the cool thing with all those emo kids because the Japanese don't ahve to try so hard to gender-bend.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited February 2009
    Dont get me wrong, I love Japan as the next guy. I wrote a term paper on the Bakumatsu era once in College. But the Japan I think is cool is all militaristic and full of samurais, ninjas, and brutality and not eye makeup and an obsession with prepubescence. Yes I am superficial.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2022818 said:
    Dont get me wrong, I love Japan as the next guy. I wrote a term paper on the Bakumatsu era once in College. But the Japan I think is cool is all militaristic and full of samurais, ninjas, and brutality and not eye makeup and an obsession with prepubescence. Yes I am superficial.
    I know a little about both sides, and I'd agree with you, were it not for my love of all things Puffy and Anime.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited February 2009
    Lolicat;2022841 said:
    I know a little about both sides, and I'd agree with you, were it not for my love of all things Puffy and Anime.
    Anime = Win
    In my book anyway
  • rustinator5rustinator5 Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2022738 said:
    Hahahahahahahahaha. Are they seriously dressed like that? Is visual kei synonymous with circus clown?
    Yeah LOL I was a little bit shocked myself the at first when I saw them, I also thought they were women!

    On another note, Visual Kei is simply a genre defined by the shock elements that the bands use on stage or in their music videos as well as the elaborate clothing of which all the band members wear. Although a Visual Kei band might have a distinct sound to match their appearance, the Visual Kei genre doesn't describe the music. I'm hoping I'm making sense, lol!

    Anyways, if there's any confusion in thinking that I like Emo and Nu-Metal bands, I don't! Emo and Screamo bands annoy me with their whiney, high pitched screamed vocals and suicidal lyrics. As for Nu-Metal, I only like a few songs by System of a Down and maybe even I'll tolerate some Linkin Park on a good day. Other than that, I really dislike how repetitive Nu-Metal bands sound and I don't enjoy hearing rap while listening to Metal, it's just not a good combination at all!

    Also, why are you comparing Visual Kei to Emo or Nu-Metal in the first place? Did I miss something?
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited February 2009
    rustinator5;2023230 said:
    I also thought they were women!
    Oh man. And I thought David Bowie and Marilyn Manson were silly.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    rustinator5;2023230 said:
    On another note, Visual Kei is simply a genre defined by the shock elements that the bands use on stage or in their music videos as well as the elaborate clothing of which all the band members wear. Although a Visual Kei band might have a distinct sound to match their appearance, the Visual Kei genre doesn't describe the music. I'm hoping I'm making sense, lol!

    Also, why are you comparing Visual Kei to Emo or Nu-Metal in the first place? Did I miss something?
    Visual kei is not a genre, it's just a movement that involves wearing the dumb outfits, with spin-off groups like Oshare Kei. It just means 'visual-type', in that the bands focus a lot on their visual appeal, it is nothing to do with the genre. Sure, a lot of the bands sound the same, but that's coincidence, not a specific genre, they're just metalcore and rock bands for the most part, Hell there are even loads of electronic artists that get stuck with the visual kei label.

    Also, I compared it to nu-metal because the Japanese regard System of Down, Slipknot, etc as visual kei, and I compared it to 'emo' (seething at the co-optation of this term, still) because everyone that listens to MCR, etc seems to have a predilection to listening to diru, Hyde, hideto and the like. It's just a part of that whole culture, seemingly.
  • warthogdbwarthogdb Opening Act
    edited February 2009
    If their name is Versailles, shouldn't they be singing in broken French instead of broken English?
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited February 2009
    warthogdb;2023660 said:
    If their name is Versailles, shouldn't they be singing in broken French instead of broken English?
    Oh, no.... thank you... that's kind but I'll pass.
Sign In or Register to comment.