"Anything But Country"

HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
Apparently, there's no reason to ask anyone what kind of music they're into anymore. Pretty much anyone you ask will have this answer: "Anything But Country." I'm sure you've run into this as well, right? When you've heard this generic, sheep-like answer for the ten-thousandth time, what is your response exactly? Now, let me just say that I by no means am a country aficionado, it is one of the genres of music that I really have a hard time getting into... but by no means is it the worst stuff out there, and if you're going to only not listen to one single thing, there is worse: really bad euro-techno, crunk atlanta hip hop, emo rock... actually, if I could pick one kind of music I probably never ever ever ever get into, it would be Opera. I'm just so sick of this mindless answer that everyone seems to have been indoctrinated to spew like a nervous tic they can't get rid of. I'm half expecting someone who DOES like country to say it at some point.

Comments

• WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Hungryfreak;2036309 said:
    This. As soon as I name any metal subgenre, I immediately prove them wrong, haha.
    Yeah, that's basically all you have to do. Or you can play some indigenous music from somewhere. That works, as well.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I hear this all the time in New York. Usually, I respond with either "What, not even Johnny Cash?" to which most people shrug, or I'll say "How about death metal?" which I usually get an "Oh, and that too."

Basically, I do the same thing most people in this thread do.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I live in Oklahoma, so half the time country's one of the first genres listed as a favorite, the other half it's "anything but country".
  • warthogdbwarthogdb Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    The problem with country music is that for decades it has been tightly controlled by a very conservative good ole boy network that doesn't exactly encourage innovation or creativity. It is so watered down that is has become a parody of itself many times over. I'm in Nashville and what I find is that people who like "country music" don't really like country music you know like Hank Williams, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline, Waylon Jennings. For a style supposedly so steeped in tradition, modern country music has lost it's identity.

So yeah, I don't like "country music" but I do like country music.
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    MronoC;2036506 said:
    I live in Oklahoma, so half the time country's one of the first genres listed as a favorite, the other half it's "anything but country".
    Living in Oklahoma until about a year and a half ago, I can vouch for the truthiness of this statement.

For me, I get annoyed when people say "anything but [insert genre] here" or "anything and everything lololol" because it's a blanket statement so people can seem like they have a much richer knowledge of music than anyone else. What genres do you prefer?

'Course, bring in death metal or something as simple as Tapes 'n' Tapes, and you get a lot of mixed responses.

Personally though, I just refrain from telling these people off because I don't want to start a confrontation over music.

As far as my own preferences, I don't like rap OR country, they're just two genres I can't really get into. And no, I'm not a fan of Johnny Cash before anyone brings that up =p He's better than pretty much any country I've ever heard, but he's not my cup of tea.

That aside though, I don't completely write off either genre anymore.

[Insert other incoherent rambling]
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
    My name is Fez;2036642 said:
    Living in Oklahoma until about a year and a half ago, I can vouch for the truthiness of this statement.

For me, I get annoyed when people say "anything but [insert genre] here" or "anything and everything lololol" because it's a blanket statement so people can seem like they have a much richer knowledge of music than anyone else. What genres do you prefer?

'Course, bring in death metal or something as simple as Tapes 'n' Tapes, and you get a lot of mixed responses.

Personally though, I just refrain from telling these people off because I don't want to start a confrontation over music.

As far as my own preferences, I don't like rap OR country, they're just two genres I can't really get into. And no, I'm not a fan of Johnny Cash before anyone brings that up =p He's better than pretty much any country I've ever heard, but he's not my cup of tea.

That aside though, I don't completely write off either genre anymore.

[Insert other incoherent rambling]
    Try these on for size:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gqq1ctOcq4

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVXbE1-3Fwo
  • HyeJinx1984HyeJinx1984 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    My name is Fez;2036642 said:
    What genres do you prefer?
    THIS. From now on I'm gonna replace the word "like" with "prefer" cause, theoretically I could also like anything, the best of any given genre, but what someone prefers tells you more about them.

p.s., I'm a native californian and only been out of the state a handful of times, and barely ever leave Los Angeles county. Still, I did spend a week in oklahoma, gotta say i really really liked it and gave up a lot of misconceptions about the midwest/south. I'd love an excuse to go back.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    People think country is pop-country for the most part, or associate it with line-dancing exclusively. There is some country out there that's good, and it's influenced many genres a Hell of a lot more than people would like to admit, but it is one of those genres I just don't take time with, although I mean to check out some alt-country artists.
  • Sir_PhobosSir_Phobos Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    One time I asked someone what kind of music they listen to and they said "anything", so as a joke I asked what their favorite melodic death metal band was. They looked at me kinda weird.
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    If someone tells me "anything but country" I tell 'em I like country. Maybe if I am still interested in the person I'll go into the detail warthog did, but probably not.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2009
    I used to be one of these people, going both "LOLANYTHING BUT COUNTRY" and "LOLANYTHING BUT (c)RAP LOLOLOL". However, I've since found plenty of good country and good rap.

I've heard tons of "anything but country" and "anything but rap" in Indiana. I've also heard plenty of "only country" and "only rap". More often than not, these people are more into pop-rap and pop-country than their much better variants.
    edited March 2009
    I remember jazz used to be thrown in there too.
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2037964 said:
    I remember jazz used to be thrown in there too.
    But jazz is teh cool! :( They obviously hadn't heard Miles Davis.
    edited March 2009
    Alright_Computer;2038138 said:
    But jazz is teh cool! :( They obviously hadn't heard Miles Davis.
    Thelonious Monk > Miles Davis.
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2038161 said:
    Thelonious Monk is kool, but Miles Davis is bettur.
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Jazz helps me find my inner urban child, but only when played through high end equipment.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I love both Davis and Monk.

I do have one friend who I know dislikes the genre, but he isn't annoying about it or anything.
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I actually need to pick up some jazz, myself.

I've never been into too many jazz horn musicians, but there are some jazz guitar pieces that I adore.
    edited March 2009
    I love all forms of jazz.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2038161 said:
    This. Not that both aren't awesome.
  • BlackwaterParkBlackwaterPark Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2038161 said:
    I don't see how you can really compare the two since they play different instruments.
  • ArmsAreLoudArmsAreLoud Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    *Throws the thread back on-topic because he really does not know anything about jazz whatsoever*

I hear this more then I would like, especially people who prefer to think that they are rockers and guitar god worshippers. When I bring up Brad Paisley, they usually scoff and disregard the fact that he can outplay most of the most lauded rock guitarists out there.

As for rap, I still have a hard time not using the blanket statement "anything but rap", but I have found that I enjoy Run-DMC. I'm also getting into blues, so I may end up just throwing my hands in the air and saying "I like anything with an electric guitar and a singer who doesn't scream incoherently at me".
  • onduvalstonduvalst Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I perfer Brazilian Jazz. I like anything but post 1994 country and post 2004 rap and um crap I'm to drunk to spell melodic.............
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I legitatemely do not listen to country or rap. Flame away. I dont care if you say I have a closed mind or not open to other things, because really, I find it closed minded to flame someone's personal taste, no matter how common it is.
  • ArmsAreLoudArmsAreLoud Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    How much have you listened to? What have you listened to? I only call people out as close-minded if they hear one song and assume the whole genre sucks.
    edited March 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2039541 said:
    I legitatemely do not listen to country or rap. Flame away. I dont care if you say I have a closed mind or not open to other things, because really, I find it closed minded to flame someone's personal taste, no matter how common it is.
    Hahaha.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2039541 said:
    We're not attacking those who dislike either genre, just those who make blanket statement without having given the genres a legitimate chance or choose to disrespect the entire genres.
    edited March 2009
    ArmsAreLoud;2039553 said:
    How much have you listened to? What have you listened to? I only call people out as close-minded if they hear one song and assume the whole genre sucks.
    None. I dont listen to it. To be honest, I barely have the time to listen to everything I want. Ive got a good 20 years since I first started school and started listening to different kinds of music under my belt. Listening to County and Rap music does nothing for me, it does not relate to me at all or trigger anything from my musical development. I can have respect for artists but my limited exposure means no development of appreciation and its probably gonna stay like that, regardless if the Rolling Stone wants me to listen or not.

So if someone asks me if I like county or rap, my response will be "no". I dont think I can tell you a damn thing about any artist.
    edited March 2009
    Gowienczyk;2036664 said:
    This goes for you, too; then. ^
    edited March 2009
    Gowienczyk;2039667 said:
    This goes for you, too; then. ^
    I never like music the first time I hear it when trying to appreciate it. I didnt like death metal for a good 10 years with a ****ton of exposure from my younger brother and our friends. Now I know that type of music in and out and its a permanent mainstay on my setlists. Even now it takes me a few listens to learn the ins and outs of it before anything clicks with me, unless its of a band or genre Im well familiar with.