The HOR Trivia Quiz Dealie Sponsered by schiz

AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
Ok folks, schiz asked me to put up a round of questions for you today so here it is. I avoided sticking to a particular theme, ie; The 70's, Drummers , Punk etc and went for a random trivia across the board. Narrowing my list of questions down to 10 was tough! I had come up with around 50 :p Have fun, hopefully at least a couple of these will make a few of you scratch your head. And remember...no wiki...Carl Palmer is watching. :cool:

Schiz, I love Bonus questions so any Bonus answer they give , provided they got the main answer correctly, I'm giving an extra point.

1. In 1979 UFO released a live album, what was it called? Bonus: Where was it recorded? Ridiculously Obscure Bonus: Who engineered the album and what album released years later made him famous as a producer?

2. Pearl Jam's Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament and Mudhoney's Mark Arm all played together in which band prior to the ones that made them famous?

3. This band covered The Beatles album Let It Be in its entirety. Name them. Bonus: They also released an EP containing 6 separate versions of a Rolling Stones song. Which song?

4. What superstar was the lead singer of the Manish Boys in 1965? Bonus: Who played the guitar solo on the Manish Boys only single, I Pity The Fool?

5. In 1971 this famous musician was pushed off the stage of The Rainbow Theater in London by the jealous boyfriend of a female fan, causing him to spend a year in a wheelchair. Name him.

6. What band featured, at one time or another, the following drummers: Aynsley Dunbar, Cozy Powell, Ian Paice, and Tommy Aldridge?

7. Though no longer together this Boston based band was together for 17 and a half years without a single lineup change. Who were they? Bonus: While in college the lead singer of this band roomed with a guy that went to be a famous film director. Name the director.

8. The song Life Fades Away was recorded by the late great Roy Orbison for the film Less Than Zero. With whom did he co-write the song?

9. True or False - Led Zeppelin's Over The Hills And Far Away had previously been done by Peter, Paul and Mary in 1963 and was a tradtional Irish drinking song. The Led Zep version claims Page/Plant as author.

10. Many bands debut album simply bear the name of the band as the title. The following is a list of bands who didn't do that. For a whopping 10 points name the band who made the album.

A) The Progressive Blues Experiment
B) Lonesome Crow
C) England's Newest Hit Makers
D) Vincebus Eruptum
E) Land Speed Record
F) Rising Force
G) Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash
H) Horses
I) Killing Is My Busines...And Business Is Good!
J) Group Sex
K) Pretties For You
L) The Scream
M) Live Like A Suicide
N) The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

Comments

• Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    1. Strangers in the Night, although I have no clue as the bonuses.
    2. Green River
    3. LAIBACH!!!!!! Sympathy for the Devil!!!!! Best band ever.
    4. ummm... Mr. T?
    5. ??
    6. I'm guessing it's not deep purple. Whitesnake?
    7. I'm hard pressed on this one, I can't think of a single boston area band that didn't have lineup problems, except J. Geils Band and Peter Wolf quit them right when they were finally hitting it big. They have a huge history, so they'll be my guess. As for the director, I dunno, Steven Spielberg?
    8. Ugh danzig
    9. Given Zep's plagiaristic history, my guess is true. :)
    A) Johnny Winter
    B) ??
    C) Stones
    D) ??
    E) Hoosker Doooo!
    F) ??
    G) Replacements!
    H) Patti
    I) Megadeth
    J) ??
    K) Alice Cooper
    L) Siouxsie
    M) GnR
    N) Floyd
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    1. Strangers in the Night
    2. Green River
    3. Phish (?)
    4. For the guitar, it has to be Jimmy Page.
    5. ?
    6. Whitesnake
    7. The Cars
    8. ?
    9. False
    10:
    A) Johnny Winter
    B) Scorpions
    C) The Rolling Stones
    D) Blue Cheer
    E) Hüsker Dü
    F) Yngwie Malmsteen
    G) The Replacements
    H) ?
    I) Megadeth
    J) ?
    K) Pretties For You
    L) Siouxsie & the Banshees
    M) Guns N' Roses
    N) Pink Floyd[
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    9. 50/50, may as well guess, True

C) England's Newest Hit Makers The Rolling Stones
    D) Vincebus Eruptum Blue Cheer
    H) Horses Patti Smith
    I) Killing Is My Busines...And Business Is Good! Megadeth
    K) Pretties For You Alice Cooper

That's all I got.
  • CycoMiko138CycoMiko138 Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    1. ?
    2. Green River
    3. ?
    4. David Bowie
    5. ?
    6. Aaarrghh! I know this...(just looked it up, damn I feel stupid):o
    7. Hometown legends, The J. Geils Band! Bonus: David Lynch
    8. Glenn Danzig!:eek: (Great soundtrack, btw)
    9. I'm guessing False
    10.D. Blue Cheer
    F. Yngwie Malmsteen
    H. Patti Smith
    I. Megadeth
    K. Alice Cooper
    M. Guns 'N' Roses
    N. Pink Floyd
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    CycoMiko138;2046794 said:
    7. Hometown legends, The J. Geils Band! Bonus: David Lynch
    This would seem to be right except they made an album without Peter Wolf, I don't see how that isn't a lineup change... especially since he was the one that roomed with David Lynch!
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited March 2009
    1. Strangers in the Night
    8. Tom.. Petty?
    9. True
    A) The Progressive Blues Experiment-Johnny Winter
    C) England's Newest Hit Makers-The Rolling Stones
    D) Vincebus Eruptum - Blue Cheer
    F) Rising Force-Yngwie Malmsteen
    I) Killing Is My Busines...And Business Is Good!-Megadeth
    K) Pretties For You-Alice Cooper
    N) The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn-Pink Floyd

EDIT: I don't know if this will count but I think #2 is Green River
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    AxlVanHagar;2046208 said:
    6. What band featured, at one time or another, the following drummers: Aynsley Dunbar, Cozy Powell, Ian Paice, and Tommy Aldridge?
    Deep Purple? I know Ian was in DP, the rest seem familiar, but I'm not too sure...
    9. True or False - Led Zeppelin's Over The Hills And Far Away had previously been done by Peter, Paul and Mary in 1963 and was a tradtional Irish drinking song. The Led Zep version claims Page/Plant as author.
    True? It's a 50/50 chance, so why not guess, haha.
    10. Many bands debut album simply bear the name of the band as the title. The following is a list of bands who didn't do that. For a whopping 10 points name the band who made the album.

A) The Progressive Blues Experiment
    B) Lonesome Crow
    C) England's Newest Hit Makers
    D) Vincebus Eruptum
    E) Land Speed Record
    F) Rising Force
    G) Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash
    H) Horses
    I) Killing Is My Busines...And Business Is Good!
    J) Group Sex
    K) Pretties For You
    L) The Scream
    M) Live Like A Suicide
    N) The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
    Well, I know some of these:

D) Blue Cheer
    F) Yngwie Malmsteen
    I) Megadeth
    J) Circle Jerks
    N) Pink Floyd

I knew the answer to question one at one point, but now it's escaping me. I can think of the album cover, does that count for anything? Haha.

Edit: Double bah, I got 6 wrong (I knew it...) and I was right about 1, but saying the answer now is cheating...
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I'm not playing for points and the other ones I know have been answered several times by now, but since not one person has even bothered guessing at it I may as well say that J is the Circle Jerks.

eta: Oh well fine, in the time I spent thinking of something clever to say...

and I actually think that 9 is one of the things Jimmy didn't rip off.
    edited March 2009
    Don't worry, at least you didn't miss some album titles that you should have known... (Glares at C and K)
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Hungryfreak;2047545 said:
    Don't worry, at least you didn't miss some album titles that you should have known... (Glares at C and K)
    Aye so who is next for the trivia thing (I know it isn't me)
  • Gabriel_CollinsGabriel_Collins Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    6. Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. (The clue was in Hungryfreak's avatar!!!!!)
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2009
    2. Green River
    4. David Bowie
    9. False?
    C) Rolling Stones
    D) Blue Cheer
    F) Yngwie Malmsteem
    G) Replacements
    I) Megadeth
    J) Circle Jerks
    K) Alice Cooper
    N) Pink Floyd
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    2. Green River
    7. The Cars? (but I don't think they were around that long)
    9. True
    A)
    B)
    C) The Rolling Stones
    D) Blue Cheer
    E)
    F) Yngwie Malmsteem
    G)
    H) Patti Smith
    I) Megadeth
    J) Circle Jerks
    K)
    L)
    M)
    N) Pink Floyd
  • CycoMiko138CycoMiko138 Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    King_Nuthin;2046985 said:
    This would seem to be right except they made an album without Peter Wolf, I don't see how that isn't a lineup change... especially since he was the one that roomed with David Lynch!
    :eek:I had no idea! I never heard that one. The bonus question is too coincidental to not be what AVH was looking for, though...unless Black Francis or Ric Ocasek roomed with John Hughes or Cameron Crowe.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Hello gang, here's the answers and the scores from my round of schiz's Trivia Dealie. Hope you liked them and they werent too easy for you. I had some of you specifically in mind when I wrote the question, like question 3 for example I knew if anyone was going to get it right it would be Soror or Gowie. So well done.

A quick note, as many pointed out question 7 was slightly flawed. My wording got messed up from the way I had originally wrote it and I somehow got two trains of thought going. I was slightly distracted as I was typing it it out as one of my dogs had eye surgery earlier that day so apologies. In the interest of fairness due to my mistake I'm giving everyone a point for that one that didn't get it. So without further adue here's the scores and the answers. Have a great weekend everyone!

Scores

Soror_YZBL - 7
    CycoMiko138 - 6
    Timmay9 - 5
    Alright_Computer - 4
    schmeankman - 3
    GabrielColins - 2
    clashcityocker - 2
    Hungryfreak - 1

Grats to Soror for being the big winner in this weeks quiz. :D

Answers

1. In 1979 UFO released a live album, what was it called? Bonus: Where was it recorded? Ridiculously Obscure Bonus: Who engineered the album and what album released years later made him famous as a producer?

Strangers In The Night Bonus: Chicago Amphitheater / Lousville (Kentucky) Gardens ROB: Mike Clink and he went on to produce Appetite For Destruction for GnR.

2. Pearl Jam's Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament and Mudhoney's Mark Arm all played together in which band prior to the ones that made them famous?

Green River

3. This band covered The Beatles album Let It Be in its entirety. Name them. Bonus: They also released an EP containing 6 separate versions of a Rolling Stones song. Which song?

Laibach Bonus: Sympathy For The Devil

4. What superstar was the lead singer of the Manish Boys in 1965? Bonus: Who played the guitar solo on the Manish Boys only single, I Pity The Fool?

David Bowie Bonus: Jimmy Page

5. In 1971 this famous musician was pushed off the stage of The Rainbow Theater in London by the jealous boyfriend of a female fan, causing him to spend a year in a wheelchair. Name him.

Frank Zappa

Whitesnake

7. Though no longer together this Boston based band was together for 17 and a half years without a single lineup change. Who were they? Bonus: While in college the lead singer of this band roomed with a guy that went to be a famous film director. Name the director.

J. Geils Band Bonus: David Lynch

8. The song Life Fades Away was recorded by the late great Roy Orbison for the film Less Than Zero. With whom did he co-write the song?

Glenn Danzig

False they actaully did write that one ;)

A) The Progressive Blues Experiment - Johnny Winter
    B) Lonesome Crow - The Scorpions
    C) England's Newest Hit Makers - The Rolling Stones
    D) Vincebus Eruptum - Blue Cheer
    E) Land Speed Record - Husker Du
    F) Rising Force - Yngwie J. Malmsteen
    G) Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash - The Replacements
    H) Horses - Patti Smith
    I) Killing Is My Busines...And Business Is Good! - Megadeth
    J) Group Sex - Circle Jerks
    K) Pretties For You - Alice Cooper
    L) The Scream - Siouxsie and The Banshees
    M) Live Like A Suicide - Guns N' Roses
    N) The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - Pink Floyd
  • benson111benson111 Eater of Fine Cupcakes
    edited March 2009
    Just found this thread.

I could donate some ideas, if interested.
  • Buffdog18Buffdog18 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    edited March 2009
    AxlVanHagar;2060259 said:
    Oh, dammit! I didn't read the question full before! It doesn't help now, though. That was when the guy thought that Zappa was giving looks to his girlfriend and then he knocked Zappa into the orchestra pit. Didn't one of the record labels get the girlfriend to apologize as a publicity stunt?
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2009
    nice job Axl! thank you for doing this :)
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Hungryfreak;2060310 said:
    Oh, dammit! I didn't read the question full before! It doesn't help now, though. That was when the guy thought that Zappa was giving looks to his girlfriend and then he knocked Zappa into the orchestra pit. Didn't one of the record labels get the girlfriend to apologize as a publicity stunt?

lol! I wondered how the Hell you of all people missed that one. :D
    edited March 2009
    I kind of skipped it, thinking it would be way too specific for me to dream of getting. I should have kept reading, haha.
  • ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    D: Blue Cheer
    N: Pink Floyd