Metal Heads Help - In Flames Best Albums?

jaycizzojaycizzo Opening Act
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
Okay. I like In Flames. I know a lot of there music but I don't have any of their albums. I want to buy 2-3 of their albums and I want to hear peoples opinions of which albums are their favorites. Please vote in the poll and add any comments. Thanks.

Comments

• HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    The Jester Race and Whoracle are the only ones I enjoyed.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    It really depends on you. If you like the sound of Gothenburg Death Metal, can't go wrong with Whoracle or Jester Race. If something closer to rock is up your alley, Come Clarity is decent.
  • jaycizzojaycizzo Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    Pandora plays songs from Reroute To Remain quite often and I've pretty much liked all of those.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited March 2009
    No Whoracle on the poll!??!?!

My answer is Jester Race, Jester Race, Jester Race. Seriously I can not stress this enough. Everything around Reroute and later has gotten progressively horrible to the point where I can not stand the type of music they are making but that does not at all affect my love for their 2nd through 4th albums.

The Jester Race for me is a benchmark for melodic death metal, the opus magnum. The dual melodies, keyboard layer and overall atmosphere and musicianship is perfect, literally perfect. I cannot stress how much Jester Race towers over much of their material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLPXAcAsLgo
    One of the first songs that inspired me to learn death metal guitar. The solos, guitar, and lyrics just really clicked with me.
    edited March 2009
    3 lousy responses??? Honestly??? Bumping this up for the morning crowd. Where's all my metal brethren at???
    edited March 2009
    jaycizzo;2050503 said:
    3 lousy responses??? Honestly??? Bumping this up for the morning crowd. Where's all my metal brethren at???
    My response wasnt lousy ;p

I can think of about 3 other forum-goers who have dipper their **** into death metal quite deep. Problem with melodic death metal is many American death metalheads consider them ****, probably since bands like In Flames did the Ozzfest thing in the early 00s and started taking influence from the Massachusetts area metal style. Seriously though, Jester Race is all you need. If guitarwork isnt your magic button like it is for me you may try more Reroute or Clayman. I think songs like Pinball Map are still pretty damn decent before they got really teenage friendly. I would definately stay far, far away from Come Clarity or Sense of Purpose.
    edited March 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2051227 said:
    My response wasnt lousy ;p

I can think of about 3 other forum-goers who have dipper their **** into death metal quite deep. Problem with melodic death metal is many American death metalheads consider them ****, probably since bands like In Flames did the Ozzfest thing in the early 00s and started taking influence from the Massachusetts area metal style. Seriously though, Jester Race is all you need. If guitarwork isnt your magic button like it is for me you may try more Reroute or Clayman. I think songs like Pinball Map are still pretty damn decent before they got really teenage friendly. I would definately stay far, far away from Come Clarity or Sense of Purpose.
    Thanks for the info. As I think you know, my "lousy" comment was referring to the quantity of posts not the quality. :D

I'm not in to many death metal bands. I've always thought of In Flames as speed metal (not sure if that's an accurate genre or not). I definitely prefer the more melodic bands (All That Remains, Parkway Drive, Killswitch, Unearth, Disarmonia Mundi, etc). I have no biases or prejudgement against any music. If I like it, I like it, period. I will pickup Jester Race and Reroute for now. Thanks again.
    edited March 2009
    Reroute and before is pure Swedish brand death metal (often called melodic death or Gothenburg sound). Afterwards the band takes many stylistic similarities with metalcore (They remove a layer of melody, put more focus into personal lyrics, strip down the guitars, reduce wankery)

You do like metalcore bands so you would probably like their latest albums, however, in the suit of melodic guitars the early albums cannot be touched because they were extremely harmonious and tight. Just listen to this track from Whoracle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InOmV_ih3vs

As for speed metal, that is a form of metal that developed in the late 70s and split in the mid 80s. (thrash versus power metal) Speed metal would be more of your Judas Priests and Motorheads.

Finally Reroute is alright. Half of it kinda bored me to be honest, but the other half is pretty good.
    edited March 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2051713 said:
    Just listen to this track from Whoracle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InOmV_ih3vs
    That's good stuff there! I can see what you mean about their style changing with their newer stuff.
    edited March 2009
    So I downloaded The Jester Race and it doesn't disappoint. Thanks for the suggestion Onslaught.
    edited March 2009
    jaycizzo;2053346 said:
    So I downloaded The Jester Race and it doesn't disappoint. Thanks for the suggestion Onslaught.
    I liked it at first but for me it really sinks in after listening to it a few times and then coming back to it after awhile. Theres so many layers to the music you cant just immediately absorb some of the pure amazing things that were done on that album. If you're like me itll sink in and solidify itself as a really strong front to back album. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMuw53W-a0Q learning to play this one on the guitar was my favorite.
  • metalhead27metalhead27 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Yep, Jester Race and Whoracle are probably there best albums, but of their newer stuff Come Clarity is pretty good.