Is Freak Out! a good Zappa starting album?

BubBub Generic Person
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
I know you guys love Frank Zappa and I was wondering if Freak Out! was the best starting album. I heard it's really praised as an awesome album and I wanted to hear your guys opinion on it.

Comments

• AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    It's not where I started but it is a great album. I'm not sure if that's where I'd start someone on Zappa though I'm sure Hungryfreak would disagree with me on that. ;)

Dweezil has stated that Apostrophe is the best starting place in his opinion as that album does kind of run the gambit of Frank's musical madness.

Myself, I started with Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch. I got into Zappa via Steve Vai so I started with one of the albums that featured Frank's "Little Italian virtuoso" on it.
  • onidragononidragon Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    The best Zappa to start on is in my opinion Apostrophe, it's got all of Zappa's most crucial elements(Sharp wit, epic guitar, strange samples, studio trickery) rolled into a really easy to get into album, and it includes his biggest hit, "Don't eat the Yellow Snow".
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    i think it's a good start, though i'll agree that "apostrophe" would work as well.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    I says yes although my favorite is definitely We're Only In It For The Money :)
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2009
    really with Zappa, you can't ask if (____) album would be good because his discography covers so much musical ground, that it really depends on what type of music you truly enjoy

Freak Out! is great for jazz fusion lovers
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Apostrophe(') is the best starting place, if you ask me.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
    Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar was my first Zappa record.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    My first was Freak Out! and I turned out fine, haha. I would agree Apostrope is the best starting place, though. It's one of the more accessible ones, its awesome, and gives a good idea of some of Zappa's sides. I also think the Strictly Commercial compilation is a good launch point, as it gives you a broader sense of Zappa and you can use it as a reference point for which albums of his you want to look into.
    edited March 2009
    Gowienczyk;2059095 said:
    Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar was my first Zappa record.
    That's a great one too. I think that was my third Zappa album. It was definitely among the first 5 I owned.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2009
    AxlVanHagar;2060204 said:
    That's a great one too. I think that was my third Zappa album. It was definitely among the first 5 I owned.
    it was my second, my third and fourth were the other two: Shut Up and Play Your Guitar Some More, and Return of the Son of Shut Up and Play Your Guitar
  • BubBub Generic Person
    edited March 2009
    Hungryfreak;2059591 said:
    My first was Freak Out! and I turned out fine, haha. I would agree Apostrope is the best starting place, though. It's one of the more accessible ones, its awesome, and gives a good idea of some of Zappa's sides. I also think the Strictly Commercial compilation is a good launch point, as it gives you a broader sense of Zappa and you can use it as a reference point for which albums of his you want to look into.
    Well, my dad was playing the Freak Out! album on his iTunes library and I was loving it. I go up to my dad and ask "Who in the heck is this?" and he's all like "Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention" and then I was like "Oh, so this is Zappa". I'll have to look into this Apostrophe album you guys are talking about too. Thanks for the recommendations guys!:)
    edited March 2009
    Bub;2062578 said:
    Well, my dad was playing the Freak Out! album on his iTunes library and I was loving it. I go up to my dad and ask "Who in the heck is this?" and he's all like "Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention" and then I was like "Oh, so this is Zappa". I'll have to look into this Apostrophe album you guys are talking about too. Thanks for the recommendations guys!:)
    Make sure you check back in and let us know how you liked them. :)
  • BubBub Generic Person
    edited March 2009
    AxlVanHagar;2062852 said:
    Make sure you check back in and let us know how you liked them. :)
    I tried importing Freak Out! from my dad's iTunes and he only had the first three tracks! I guess I gotta pirate it now.
  • Jhail83Jhail83 Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    If you arent paying then why ask where to start? lol It is not like you stand to lose anything...not that I condone Pirating...but do as you must I guess.

I personally think you should go BUY Hot Rats. =)