Fantasy All-Star Rock Band, Day 45: Pick your favorite SOUTHERN ROCK Drummer!

cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
Welcome to Day 45, Band 7 of the Fantasy All-Star Rock Band Challenge!

Congratulations to DUANE ALLMAN, who joins the band on Lead Guitar! *AND* congratulations to The Outlaws' (and sometimes Skynyrd's) HUGHIE THOMASSON, who joins the band on Rhythm Guitar in a twofer today!

Now pick your favorite Southern rock DRUMMER for the band!

Pick artists who represent the best in Southern rock --- be it true southern rock, or rockabilly, or blues/blues rock, or country/ country rock/ alt-country....

I'm not going to *require* that a nominee be from the South (that's Southern US, by the way, in case our friends in Europe, Asia or Oz were wondering ;)); just that their sound has typically been considered part of one of the above southern genres. (I can think of several major "southern rock" groups right off the top of my head that are/were based in California, the UK, or Australia....)

You may choose any southern rock artist from the 1950s on, male or female, living or dead. Since it's a theme week, there's no "retired band member" restrictions, either.

Day 1: Vocalist: Ronnie Van Zant
Day 2: Lead Guitarist: Duane Allman
Rhythm Guitarist: Hughie Thomasson
Day 3: Drummer: ???
Day 4: Bassist: ???
Day 5: Keyboardist: ???
Day 6: Songwriter(s): ???
Day 7: Name This Band!

For further rules and formatting, go here:

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116814

Good luck, and happy voting! (Voting closes at ***10 PM EST*** tomorrow.)

Comments

• FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Paul Riddle: 1
    Frank Beard: 1

No support for ZZ Top?
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2009
    Fizzeler;2059004 said:
    Frank Beard: 1

No support for ZZ Top?
    i dont think of ZZ Top as Southern Rock
    edited March 2009
    a21schizoidman;2059009 said:
    i dont think of ZZ Top as Southern Rock
    nor do I, but they are listed so I thought why not?
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Frank Beard: 2

Hell yes to Beard. I was gonna say Artimus Pyle, but we need some ZZ up in here....AND good call on the Marshall Tucker Band....
    edited March 2009
    cherokeesam;2059016 said:

Hell yes to Beard. I was gonna say Artimus Pyle, but we need some ZZ up in here....AND good call on the Marshall Tucker Band....
    Yeah ZZ was my Ideal vocals choice, but Beard would be great for drums in line with Duane's awesome guitar skills :)
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited March 2009
    D.J. Fontana: 1

Elvis Presley's longtime drummer.
    edited March 2009
    Fizzeler;2059015 said:
    nor do I, but they are listed so I thought why not?
    i <3 Frank Beard, but, i just can't say ZZ Top fits as a Southern Rock group, and Frank wouldn't fit in with the other band members
    edited March 2009
    a21schizoidman;2059029 said:
    i <3 Frank Beard, but, i just can't say ZZ Top fits as a Southern Rock group, and Frank wouldn't fit in with the other band members</div>
    Like I said they are listed as Southern Rock, but I never really considered them to be Southern Rock and I think Beard's drums would work well with Duane's guitar skills :cool:
  • MovieFreak921MovieFreak921 Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    Frank Beard: 3
    edited March 2009
    Sure, ZZTop is southern rock! The Little Band from Texas is as southern as you can get. Down-home southern-fried blues rock.
    edited March 2009
    cherokeesam;2059039 said:
    Sure, ZZTop is southern rock! The Little Band from Texas is as southern as you can get. Down-home southern-fried blues rock.
    i haven't heard any ZZ Top that was southern fried.....

just straight Blues-rock
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited March 2009
    The drummer is usually the least active guy in Southern Rock bands, but...

Bruce Crump: 1

He's the Molly Hatchet drummer and everybody knows Flirtin' with Disaster has the best drums of any Southern Rock song in Rock Band.
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Paul Riddle: 2
    edited March 2009
    WingsOfSteel;2059058 said:
    The drummer is usually the least active guy in Southern Rock bands, but...

He's the Molly Hatchet drummer and everybody knows Flirtin' with Disaster has the best drums of any Southern Rock song in Rock Band.
    Shawn Beamer is their current drummer, and he is pretty good, but a **** (i met the entire band last summer)
    edited March 2009
    a21schizoidman;2059050 said:

just straight Blues-rock
    Aren't Blues-Rock also, allowed in this vote?
    edited March 2009
    a21schizoidman;2059064 said:
    Shawn Beamer is their current drummer, and he is pretty good, but a **** (i met the entire band last summer)
    Aren't they currently touring with Lynyrd Skynyrd I would love to see both of them in concert :)
    edited March 2009
    a21schizoidman;2059050 said:

just straight Blues-rock
    That's what Southern rock is --- a mix of country, blues and hard rock. That's why I included blues, blues-rock, country, country-rock, and rockabilly as compatible genres in the OP...

Mississippi Delta blues is as southern as you can get. And that's what ZZ Top are masters of. :)
    edited March 2009
    cherokeesam;2059076 said:
    That's what Southern rock is --- a mix of country, blues and hard rock. That's why I included blues, blues-rock, country, country-rock, and rockabilly as compatible genres in the OP...

Mississippi Delta blues is as southern as you can get. And that's what ZZ Top are masters of. :)
    Jonny Lang is also straight up blues rock, so is SRV, Humble Pie, Rory Gallagher, Tommy Bolin
    just like ZZ Top, ZZ Top is NOT southern rock, they have nothing in common with Southern Rock groups like Marshall Tucker Band, Pure Prairie League, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Outlaws, or Molly Hatchet
    Fizzeler;2059073 said:
    Aren't they currently touring with Lynyrd Skynyrd I would love to see both of them in concert :)
    i believe so, but this was a concert with just them
    edited March 2009
    a21schizoidman;2059087 said:

i believe so, but this was a concert with just them
    Good to hear I know ZZ Top is coming to the East Coast soon really want to see that show :)
    edited March 2009
    Fizzeler;2059097 said:
    Good to hear I know ZZ Top is coming to the East Coast soon really want to see that show :)
    i saw them 2 years ago :D
    edited March 2009
    a21schizoidman;2059103 said:
    i saw them 2 years ago :D
    From my parents comments they sound great live :D
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I really don't see what's so special about ZZ Top's drummer. I'm listening to them right now and it all seems to be incredibly basic snare/hi-hat/bass stuff. The Molly Hatchet guy does a lot of cool stuff with toms. If you're not voting for him, you suck.

edited March 2009
    WingsOfSteel;2059116 said:
    I really don't see what's so special about ZZ Top's drummer. I'm listening to them right now and it all seems to be incredibly basic snare/hi-hat/bass stuff. The Molly Hatchet guy does a lot of cool stuff with toms. If you're not voting for him, you suck.
    I would much rather have ZZ Top's bassist TBH, but Beard is a pretty good drummer as well
    edited March 2009
    Fizzeler;2059107 said:
    From my parents comments they sound great live :D
    they do sound great live, and Billy likes to tell stories, and they pull out some of their non-radio songs too! (plus Billy shows his Moving Sidewalks side with his version of a song another famous guitarist (whom Billy was his favorite of) taught him to play when he was young

Fire
    edited March 2009
    WingsOfSteel;2059116 said:

i voted Paul Riddle of Marshall Tucker

but what ZZ Top album are you listening to?
    edited March 2009
    a21schizoidman;2059087 said:
    Jonny Lang is also straight up blues rock, so is SRV, Humble Pie, Rory Gallagher, Tommy Bolin
    just like ZZ Top, ZZ Top is NOT southern rock, they have nothing in common with Southern Rock groups like Marshall Tucker Band, Pure Prairie League, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Outlaws, or Molly Hatchet
    Dude, this 42-year old redneck grew up on southern rock, so please don't give me a Wikipedia definition of what constitutes southern rock. Wiki is seldom (if ever) right about anything. I've lived almost all my life in the Carolinas and Georgia, and grew up with country and redneck rock stations where ZZ was (is) a staple. Even today, the local Knoxville, TN station plays a daily "Southern Fix at Six" block of southern rock, and ZZ Top is ALWAYS featured.

And just a couple (of many) websites you could check out:

http://classicrock.about.com/od/history/a/southern_rock.htm

http://www.puresouthernrock.com/southern-rock-bands/

I concede to your encyclopedic knowledge of prog rock (and other genres, too), but southern-fried rock is my daily bread 'n' butter. And ZZ Top is like....buttah. :)
    edited March 2009
    cherokeesam;2059193 said:
    Dude, this 42-year old redneck grew up on southern rock, so please don't give me a Wikipedia definition of what constitutes southern rock. Wiki is seldom (if ever) right about anything. I've lived almost all my life in the Carolinas and Georgia, and grew up with country and redneck rock stations where ZZ was (is) a staple. Even today, the local Knoxville, TN station plays a daily "Southern Fix at Six" block of southern rock, and ZZ Top is ALWAYS featured.

And just a couple (of many) websites you could check out:

http://classicrock.about.com/od/history/a/southern_rock.htm

http://www.puresouthernrock.com/southern-rock-bands/

I concede to your encyclopedic knowledge of prog rock (and other genres, too), but southern-fried rock is my daily bread 'n' butter. And ZZ Top is like....buttah. :)
    i didn't even look at wiki for that

i was into Southern Rock before i was into prog
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
    Mississippi Delta blues is as southern as you can get. And that's what ZZ Top are masters of.
    WARNING BLUES PURIST MESSAGE

Hahahahaha no. ZZ Top may be influenced by the delta but they hardly masters or even players of delta blues. Hahahaha. You made my day.
    edited March 2009
    Gowienczyk;2059256 said:
    WARNING BLUES PURIST MESSAGE

Hahahahaha no. ZZ Top may be influenced by the delta but they hardly masters or even players of delta blues. Hahahaha. You made my day.

Not pure blues, true. We're not talking Robert Johnson or Son House or John Lee Hooker, although Billy and Dusty can pick up an acoustic and play the hell out of that, too. But that's where they got their sound, and their sound is pure electric Mississippi. Like the song says: "I'm shufflin' through the Texas sands, but my head's in Mississippi...."
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
    cherokeesam;2059287 said:
    Not pure blues, true. We're not talking Robert Johnson or Son House or John Lee Hooker, although Billy and Dusty can pick up an acoustic and play the hell out of that, too. But that's where they got their sound, and their sound is pure electric Mississippi. Like the song says: "I'm shufflin' through the Texas sands, but my head's in Mississippi...."
    Yes, influence. But they still don't play delta blues, either way. No technique familiarity at all.