the HOR trivia thread... non-rock edition...

afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
hopefully i didn't screw anything up... :)

1. This performer and composer is credited with combing jazz, funk, psychedelic rock, and traditional African music to create what is now called "afrobeat".

2. This jazz multi-instrumentalist and composer, famously described as "too out to be in and too in to be out", was paid tribute by Frank Zappa on one of Zappa's most famous records.

3. Pierre Schaeffer originated this electroacoustic form of music which originally was based around the use of turntables and lack of traditional song structure.

4. This incredibly influential artist collaborated with the Jazzy Five on "Jazzy Sensation", which was the first hip-hop single on Tommy Boy Records in 1981.

5. This style of avant-garde music has been noted for being heavily influenced by indian ragas, new age, and Byzantine chants despite it's current alignment with underground and experimental music.

6. This Detroit-based modern electronic artist is best known for his Echospace collaboration, but what is the name of his solo project and identically titled record label.

7. This artist, an early innovator on the reggae and dub scene, recently recorded a new album with the aid of Lightning Bolt drummer Brian Chippendale, famed alt-rock producer Don Fleming, and man of mystery Andrew WK.

8. This Greek electronic music pioneer was one of the earliest to apply mathematics and physics to unify his music and his works in architecture.

9. On "The Day The Music Died" this famous country artist avoided death by giving his seat to The Big Bopper who was suffering from the flu and needed more comfort than their tour bus was providing.

10. This reclusive outsider folk musician is known for having spent well over 20 years releasing an overwhelming flow of highly prolific albums on his label, Corwood Industries, without making any public appearances, including live performances and interviews.

Comments

• RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited March 2009
    2. This jazz multi-instrumentalist and composer, famously described as "too out to be in and too in to be out", was paid tribute by Frank Zappa on one of Zappa's most famous records: Sun Ra

3. Pierre Schaeffer originated this electroacoustic form of music which originally was based around the use of turntables and lack of traditional song structure: I'm going to say musique concrete.

4. This incredibly influential artist collaborated with the Jazzy Five on "Jazzy Sensation", which was the first hip-hop single on Tommy Boy Records in 1981: Afrikaa Bambataa

5. This style of avant-garde music has been noted for being heavily influenced by indian ragas, new age, and Byzantine chants despite it's current alignment with underground and experimental music: Space music?

7. This artist, an early innovator on the reggae and dub scene, recently recorded a new album with the aid of Lightning Bolt drummer Brian Chippendale, famed alt-rock producer Don Fleming, and man of mystery Andrew WK: Sly of Sly & Robbie?

8. This Greek electronic music pioneer was one of the earliest to apply mathematics and physics to unify his music and his works in architecture: Vangelis

9. On "The Day The Music Died" this famous country artist avoided death by giving his seat to The Big Bopper who was suffering from the flu and needed more comfort than their tour bus was providing: Hank Williams

10. This reclusive outsider folk musician is known for having spent well over 20 years releasing an overwhelming flow of highly prolific albums on his label, Corwood Industries, without making any public appearances, including live performances and interviews: Jandek
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    #9 is definitely Waylon Jennings.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited March 2009
    1. Fela Kuti

That's the only one I've got. :o
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Nice questions I won't answer because I am not really participating (other than my thread of course :D)
  • CycoMiko138CycoMiko138 Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    1. Fela Kuti?
    2. ?
    3. ?
    4. Miles Davis?
    5. ?
    6. ?
    7. ?
    8. ?
    9. ?
    10.?
    Wow, these were tough.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    4. Afrika Bambaata
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    2. Eric Dolphy. For bonus points, the song "Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbeque" off the Guitar album :)

I'm out, haha
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    1. Sun Ra
    4. Afrika Bambaata

6. Really? I thought he was best known for CYBOTRON. Juan Adkins in the house (or actually, in the techno, but who's counting?)

8. Vangelis

9. Waylon Jennings

10. I dunno his real name, but his stage name is jandek.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2009
    1. Fela Kuti
    3. Musique concr
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    it's time to close it down and post the answers...

1. This performer and composer is credited with combing jazz, funk, psychedelic rock, and traditional African music to create what is now called "afrobeat".
    Fela Kuti

2. This jazz multi-instrumentalist and composer, famously described as "too out to be in and too in to be out", was paid tribute by Frank Zappa on one of Zappa's most famous records.
    Eric Dolphy

3. Pierre Schaeffer originated this electroacoustic form of music which originally was based around the use of turntables and lack of traditional song structure.
    [B]Musique concr
    edited March 2009
    #6 is NOT fair!!!! If it were fair, I would have gotten it right. :) Why the hell did I think that was juan adkins?
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Woohoo! I got my one answer correct :).

I jumped the gun on the album, though. It's Weasels Ripped My Flesh. I'm ashamed that I got it wrong, but it's probably because Zappa paid tribute to some other musicians on that album by song titles.
    edited March 2009
    Hungryfreak;2102271 said:
    Woohoo! I got my one answer correct :).

I jumped the gun on the album, though. It's Weasels Ripped My Flesh. I'm ashamed that I got it wrong, but it's probably because Zappa paid tribute to some other musicians on that album by song titles.
    I got 3, if you include my mangled explaination of jandek. :)
    edited March 2009
    OMGOMGOMG

I got the impossible answer right. That was totally a shot in the dark.

Time to post my alternative-themed thread...
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Soror_YZBL;2101472 said:
    #6 is NOT fair!!!! If it were fair, I would have gotten it right. :) Why the hell did I think that was juan adkins?
    haha!
    when i read your answer i was actually quite perplexed as well... then i just listened to "the coldest season" and forgot about it. :)
    edited March 2009
    I have to admit, living in Detroit for a few years and having quite a few friends immersed in the electronic music scene helped me a lot on that question.