• CommonCriminalCommonCriminal The Stork Whisperer
    edited March 2009
  • matttheindiemanmatttheindieman Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    wow, two people voted Cooper...
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Who would win what? A fight? Alice, he's got swords.:p

Musically and lyrically Alice has been far more consistent than Bowie. Both are among my all time favorite artists but as a whole I find Alice's catalog more consistently interesting and satisfying than Bowie's. The last album of Bowie's that I really loved was 1997's Earthling. Hours , Heathen and Reality didn't do anything for me. Outside and Earthling were the last things that really got me going.

Alice has really been knocking them out of the park IMO since 1994's Last Temptation. Llast years Along Came A Spider I'd rank pretty close to the original Alice Cooper lineup material.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited March 2009
    I like Alice Cooper's music a bit better, but I voted for Bowie, why?

He is a very great and outgoing person live. Don't know about Alice Cooper live however.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    i enjoy a lot of cooper's stuff, but bowie definitely wins it in my eyes.
    edited March 2009
    well, at least now we know who voted Alice...
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Not the biggest fan of either, but I prefer Bowie
    edited March 2009
    Only one person who voted Alice Cooper posted that they voted him...they don't have the balls to say they voted him.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I voted Alice. To be fair, I haven't heard as much Bowie as I would like, but "Killer" is one of my favorite albums of all time, if not my favorite.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Bowie no contest

EDIT: 4000 Post!
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    matttheindieman;2064854 said:
    Only one person who voted Alice Cooper posted that they voted him...they don't have the balls to say they voted him.
    or maybe they don't feel the need to?
  • MdrnDayWarriorMdrnDayWarrior Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    Bowie, through his career he vastly changed his sound and it almost always worked. Anything after 1983 for him though, wasn't very good, but no musician can be as good through their entire career as they are at their beginning. Space Oddity, Low, "Heroes", and Scary Monsters are some of the best albums ever IMO.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I voted Alice Cooper, I like Bowie quite a lot, but two words: Dennis Dunaway
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Cooper takes this one easily.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited March 2009
  • Meatwad555Meatwad555 Merch-Table
    edited March 2009
    I voted for him. Wut nao?
  • CycoMiko138CycoMiko138 Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    When it comes to their music, I really can't decide since I love them both. I voted Bowie only because his are the only songs that we have in Rock Band, while Alice has so far only done the lame VH1 show. Although, if we ever get Halo of Flies or Billion Dollar Babies for DLC, I'll change my vote.
  • gmarshgmarsh Headliner
    edited March 2009
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    AxlVanHagar;2064833 said:
    Who would win what? A fight? Alice, he's got swords.:p

Musically and lyrically Alice has been far more consistent than Bowie. Both are among my all time favorite artists but as a whole I find Alice's catalog more consistently interesting and satisfying than Bowie's. The last album of Bowie's that I really loved was 1997's Earthling. Hours , Heathen and Reality didn't do anything for me. Outside and Earthling were the last things that really got me going.

Alice has really been knocking them out of the park IMO since 1994's Last Temptation. Llast years Along Came A Spider I'd rank pretty close to the original Alice Cooper lineup material.
    Yes, in terms of consistency, Alice beats Bowie anytime, but on some points like lyrics, voice and the ability to be andogynous (lol), Bowie beats Alice. Bowie is not an incredible poet... but Alice... I mean... It's funny. Oh and Alice's shows were unbeatable
    But of course, it's all about taste because they really don't have the same sound.
    edited March 2009
    Insane3;2065683 said:
    Yes, in terms of consistency, Alice beats Bowie anytime, but on some points like lyrics, voice and the ability to be andogynous (lol), Bowie beats Alice. Bowie is not an incredible poet... but Alice... I mean... It's funny. .
    "I think Alice Cooper is an overlooked songwriter". - Bob Dylan 1978
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Bowie, nothing can defeat the ****-superior.
  • CheezerRoxCheezerRox Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    David, no question.

Alice is a great guy and musician, though, it's just that I like David a lot more.
  • Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    AxlVanHagar;2066105 said:
    "I think Alice Cooper is an overlooked songwriter". - Bob Dylan 1978
    Pfff... falacious argument.
    Seriously, though... what songs did Dylan listen to?
    edited March 2009
    Insane3;2066633 said:
    Pfff... falacious argument.
    Seriously, though... what songs did Dylan listen to?
    Merely pointing out that some folks think Alice is a good writer. ;)

As to what songs Dylan liked/heard I'm not sure. I think it's safe to say the obvious ones such as I'm Eighteen, Billion Dollar Babies, Elected, etc. John Lennon was a big fan of Elected and told Alice that the only way the song could be any better is if Paul McCartney sang it. The interview I referenced with Dylan was in the 1978 Rolling Stone the text in full is as follows

RS: Now that we somehow got onto this subject, who else do you like right now? New Wave groups?

BD: No, I'm not interested in them. I think Alice Cooper is an overlooked songwriter. I like Ry Cooder. And I like Dave Mason's version of something which is on the jukebox right now.

So Dylan doesn't go into much detail. As I said I figure it's safe to assume the usual suspects though if we consider the year of the interview, 1978, it stands to reason that Dylan might be talking about songs off the From The Inside album since it was released that year and was an extremely well written album. Elton John's lyricist Bernie Taupin co-write a little bit on that album as he and Cooper were friends and drinking buddies and sobered up at the same time.

In any case it's a heckuva compliment and Alice considers it one of the top 3 compliments he's ever been given.
  • Jhail83Jhail83 Opening Act
    edited March 2009
  • JerryBrudosJerryBrudos Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    Cooper easily they has a lot of fun songs Bowe does nothing for me.
  • l-o-tl-o-t Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I like Alice Cooper. He's a really cool dude and Rocks with Live Shows!
    But Bowie is, well... he's Bowie. You can't beat that.

Bowie vote for me.
  • defenestraterdefenestrater Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    There's no contest for me, its Bowie. He certainly hasn't had the most consistent career, but I don't really care. Life On Mars, Starman, and pretty much everything he did with Brian Eno go a long way toward making up for all of the terrible music he's put out over the years.