Seattle Music Scene

ShiningIdealShiningIdeal Rising Star
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
What are some of the major musical landmarks of the greater Seattle Area. Making a trip up next week and would love to catch a couple interesting places. I plan to see Parenthetical Girl live but so many of my favorite bands formed in the area (Olympia especially).

Not sure if anyone local could recommend good places to hear some live bands or some places that were must visits. (Specifically - Bikini Kill, the Gits, Sleater-Kinney, Pretty Girls Make Graves, 7 Year ***** were a few of the local bands I was thinking of for significant areas).

Also - I've really been trying to consider - for other people who hop in here - what would you assume the general musical stereotype is of the area? When you hear Pacific Northwest, what do you think of musically?

Comments

• LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I want to have your babies judged on the bands you listed.
  • ShiningIdealShiningIdeal Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2066538 said:
    I want to have your babies judged on the bands you listed.
    Well don't be too excited. Incredibly diverse category of artists that I love - though female fronted punk and especially riot grrrl is possibly the number one genre of all time for me. Number two at worst. (Though I do sort of blend electroclash like Le Tigre and Peaches into that same punk genre as the heart is in the same place...)
    edited March 2009
    ShiningIdeal;2066553 said:
    Well don't be too excited. Incredibly diverse category of artists that I love - though female fronted punk and especially riot grrrl is possibly the number one genre of all time for me. Number two at worst. (Though I do sort of blend electroclash like Le Tigre and Peaches into that same punk genre as the heart is in the same place...)
    O, don't worry, I'm not some sick Riot Grrrl, I have a relatively wide taste, but I just get a total boner for Riot Grrrl and female-fronted anything.
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2066559 said:
    O, don't worry, I'm not some sick Riot Grrrl, I have a relatively wide taste, but I just get a total boner for Riot Grrrl and female-fronted anything.
    Really I'm much the same - which is probably why I listen to so much of what I do - ever since Ladytron, so many strong female electonic artists of one bent or another. The Queen Adreena style also - wow I've gotten so far off my own topic...
    edited March 2009
    ShiningIdeal;2066574 said:
    Really I'm much the same - which is probably why I listen to so much of what I do - ever since Ladytron, so many strong female electonic artists of one bent or another. The Queen Adreena style also - wow I've gotten so far off my own topic...
    I dunno, I had a total electronic phase, but I've gone off it a little at the moment. And sorry yea! I'd liek to help, but have never been to America, never mind Seattle.
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    ShiningIdeal;2066509 said:
    Also - I've really been trying to consider - for other people who hop in here - what would you assume the general musical stereotype is of the area? When you hear Pacific Northwest, what do you think of musically?
    Well most people just leap to Seattle and the 90s grunge thing but Portland has become quite the darling of the indie rock scene in recent years. Personally I have the most love for the PacNW 60s garage bands.
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2066601 said:
    I dunno, I had a total electronic phase, but I've gone off it a little at the moment. And sorry yea! I'd liek to help, but have never been to America, never mind Seattle.
    No worries - its just a little more unfamiliar of a place for me - I mean in New York it was pretty brainless. Go to CBGBs before it closes, etc etc. I don't know much about the Seattle scene beyond what came out of it.

I don't mind the distracted talking of course, I've not been to Europe near as often as I'd like. A few times to London, Berlin and Stockholm once, Dublin twice, and a general pan-european roadtrip. ... I sort of like to wander.
    edited March 2009
    ShiningIdeal;2066619 said:
    No worries - its just a little more unfamiliar of a place for me - I mean in New York it was pretty brainless. Go to CBGBs before it closes, etc etc. I don't know much about the Seattle scene beyond what came out of it.

I don't mind the distracted talking of course, I've not been to Europe near as often as I'd like. A few times to London, Berlin and Stockholm once, Dublin twice, and a general pan-european roadtrip. ... I sort of like to wander.
    I hardly ever go to gigs, so even if you were coming to the UK, I couldn't give you advice XD There are very few bands I'd need to see live.
    edited March 2009
    King_Nuthin;2066614 said:
    Well most people just leap to Seattle and the 90s grunge thing but Portland has become quite the darling of the indie rock scene in recent years. Personally I have the most love for the PacNW 60s garage bands.
    Oooh thats a really good point - I was pretty strongly considering a day trip down to Portland and catching a couple live shows while there but I don't know that region any better sadly. Nothing worse than showing up at a good looking club from the outside to walk in and hear 'faithful' covers of the ugly side of eighties popular music coming off the stage.
  • ArmsAreLoudArmsAreLoud Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Sorry, Seattle only brings up the following thoughts: HOLYCRAPSOUNDGARDENOMGOMGOMG and LOLSEAHAWKS, neither of which are much benefit to you.
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2066625 said:
    I hardly ever go to gigs, so even if you were coming to the UK, I couldn't give you advice XD There are very few bands I'd need to see live.
    One of the trips was actually just to see Robots in Disguise - I was in a bit of a phase...
    edited March 2009
    ShiningIdeal;2066631 said:
    One of the trips was actually just to see Robots in Disguise - I was in a bit of a phase...
    Transcontinental for one thing is a little much :P

Is the X-Ray cafe still open? I mean, it was pretty important back in the day. Only place I can think of for ya.
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2066640 said:
    Transcontinental for one thing is a little much :P

Is the X-Ray cafe still open? I mean, it was pretty important back in the day. Only place I can think of for ya.
    Sadly its not - though the club owner has some new ventures including whats supposed to be a pretty awesome karaoke place. Yeah.. I know - oxymoron. Still...

And well - I live in the conservative, bible belt of the US in a small town that just happens to have a well paying job in an artistic field too lucrative to keep me from moving. But I'm certainly willing to hop a flight anytime to get the hell out for a while. Don't need much reason.
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    ShiningIdeal;2066627 said:
    Oooh thats a really good point - I was pretty strongly considering a day trip down to Portland and catching a couple live shows while there but I don't know that region any better sadly. Nothing worse than showing up at a good looking club from the outside to walk in and hear 'faithful' covers of the ugly side of eighties popular music coming off the stage.
    The Portland Mercury's music section has a pretty thorough listing of live events here (portlandmercury.com online). Also Mike Thrasher Presents books a lot of live shows so you could find their site and see if anything is worth coming down for.

Portland is pretty compact and easy to get around. The real time to check out Portland's scene is around September for Music Fest Northwest, which is our answer to SXSW. This year it is Sept. 16th-19th.
    edited March 2009
    ShiningIdeal;2066656 said:
    Sadly its not - though the club owner has some new ventures including whats supposed to be a pretty awesome karaoke place. Yeah.. I know - oxymoron. Still...
    Kareoke is awesome, when drunk enough.
    edited March 2009
    King_Nuthin;2066667 said:
    The Portland Mercury's music section has a pretty thorough listing of live events here (portlandmercury.com online). Also Mike Thrasher Presents books a lot of live shows so you could find their site and see if anything is worth coming down for.

Portland is pretty compact and easy to get around. The real time to check out Portland's scene is around September for Music Fest Northwest, which is our answer to SXSW. This year it is Sept. 16th-19th.
    Wow - thanks for the heads up - that will have to go on my schedule - and it doesn't conflict with ACL which is my usual problem with fall festivals. (October 2nd -4th this year). There are few things I love in the world more than a good festival.
  • JohnTheDrummerJohnTheDrummer Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    The music scene here used to be pretty strong... but as of late it has been week. Here are a couple places that have the better shows...

http://www.studioseven.us
    http://www.elcorazonseattle.com

I recommend staying away from El Corazon, even though all of the big bands to to flock there for some godforsaken reason.
  • eagles1990eagles1990 Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    Seattle= Soundgarden