Your Musical Evolution

a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
I can't remember if this has been done before. But I can't think of a good search to look for it. But, anyways, this is to discuss your evolution in the music you listen to, music you play. Where you started, how you got to where you are now, and where you are looking to go with music.

My story:
For me, it starts back when I was a baby. My dad would play a lot of Hendrix, Santana, and Billy Joel's River of Dreams (I swear thanks to him this will be the one album I've listened to the most ever, and I still love it).

Then when I just started kindergarten, I was a huge Bulls fan, so listening to rap was like, natural for me. I never bought any albums (minus the Bulls albums and the like :o ) but I also listened to it because my dad hated it.

Then I started hating rap and country (my mom was a country fan), and didn't care for any kind of music at all. Until 5th grade (by now it had been about 4 and a half years I disliked music). This was when I started listening to Oldies 104.3 FM. 50s/60s music became my favorite. Which then led to me joining choir and the AATP after school thing's choir.

My dad then introduced me to bands like AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Outlaws, REO Speedwagon, Journey, and the like. So this was what made me start my deeper journey into rock. I listened to A LOT of Southern Rock. I learned a lot of bands in the genre and began to learn about the genre. By high school I had also started my musical journey had taken me to 60s Protest Rock and Psychadelic Rock, and Acid Rock. Somehow I also led myself into 80s rock and 80s music in general. And most importantly, blues, which started to become, became, and still is my favorite genre.

Until my last year of high school, I had never liked any music by a band with their first album released past 1989 (minus a few exceptions). But I started branching out a little bit, and listening to newer bands.

When I started college, this was when I started my diving into prog. And with that my jazz journey. Which pretty much makes me where I am today.

My future is hopefully gonna lead me to listen to more obscure/unknown newer bands.

Let's hear others!

Comments

• DemeniseDemenise Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    I grew up in a neighborhood with the same songs playing all of the time (really, the only things I ever heard were "Under the Bridge", "Unwell" [Matchbox 20], and "The Joker", all songs which I only found out the names of this past year.) Therefore, I grew accustomed to such calm types of music. My dad also CONSTANTLY played Bruce Springsteen in the car, so I grew to be a fan of him as well.

In third grade, I moved to the southern part of my state. This is when I started hearing other music; around this time, and for time after, music became unimportant. It wasn't until 6th grade that a friend of mine did a Spanish project on an upcoming band called Linkin Park. At first, I wasn't interested. Instead, I decided to get into punk-ier music, such as Linkin Park and Green Day (as well as Weird Al, who no one knew until two years later when "White and Nerdy" was released.)

In 7th grade, I found out who Linkin Park was and loved them. That's when my music taste became much too generic; I began to start liking -some- metal, lots of modern rock, and even some rap. It was my life at the time. I didn't think other good music existed.

However, that changed later on when I started to listen to more Springsteen. Being that he was an earlier artist, I was somewhat convinced that music was decent earlier on. I'm not exactly sure how it happened. Between classic rock radio, my dad's CDs (which, coincidentally, one of the most memorable ones is The River of Dreams,) and further research on my part, I began to realize how great classic rock was. By the beginning of 8th grade, I was done with all rap, metal, or any modern music; I focused only on the past.

That remains to this day. I pretty much ONLY listen to the '60s, '70s, and '80s; I can sometimes tolerate the '90s, but I NEVER want to listen to the 2000s. I hold intense grudges against metal (I dislike even Metallica,) rap (GAH) and pretty much any modern day music.

Basically, I'm open to '80s electronic and all branches of '60s - '80s rock. Though I do dip in to some other categories (such as grunge) I stay away from most.
  • Cruithne-MoonCruithne-Moon Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    My folks played classical albums (particularly Mozart) and a bit of folk music (Pete Seeger; Peter, Paul & Mary; a bit of Dylan). Piano and violin lessons reinforced the classical influences.

I'm sure Jewish holiday songs and prayers also had an impact on my tastes.

To give a hint as to my age, Rockin' Robin was very popular with us kids, when I was in 1st grade. I think I did a tumbling routine to it.

Jr. high? Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, CSN&Y--soft squishy stuff with oh so meaningful lyrics.:o

In high school, I was in most of the bands the school offered, playing xylophone, keyboards, and occasionally flute.

But ska, punk and new wave changed me forever. I listen to a lot of music, but ska makes me the happiest.
  • ArmsAreLoudArmsAreLoud Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    My parents both were 80's kids, and most of the stuff I listened to as a young child was pop/soft rock-Journey was basically as "hard" as anything I would listen to would get. Then, as I got older, I started to listen to some heavier stuff (Whitesnake) but I still considered the REALLY hard stuff (metal, basically) to be just a bunch of emo kids screaming and cursing, since my parents weren't into any metal and that was the extent of the metal I had seen others in my school listen to. Then I bought a game called Guitar Hero III, and my music repetoire increased exponentially. I started listening to bands I never would have touched before-first it was Metallica, then Black Sabbath, then Judas Priest (my favorite heavy metal band). Then I began hanging out with a kid from my church; his dad had been a guitarist in a heavy metal band in the early 80's, and as such he knew a lot of great stuff I had never heard before. It was at this point that I discovered Dream Theater, and began to start searching for great music without the need of a reccomendation. This was when I got into grunge music, and I'm really the only person I know who absolutely loves that genre. I managed to get the aforementioned friend into Soundgarden, but other than that, no.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2009
    Dammit, I really need a flowchart to properly explain my relatively complicated musical evolution. Maybe I'll make one soon.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Let's see..

When I was much younger, I don't think I listened to much music, and I remember at times expressing dislike for music in general, more to annoy my parents than anything. Eventually, they got me to start listening to Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers and Jimmy Buffett, and I still love these artists. I started listening to what is classifies as "classic rock" and some jazz. For about half of 8th grade, I listened to the mainstream rap of the time. Passing through that phase, I again listened to more "classic rock" and began listening to The Clash, which was cultivated by my dad. I dug deeper into punk rock on my own, and also began listening to modern alternative thanks to influence from some high school friends, as well as on my own. That's my musical progression in a nutshell, but I listen to a bit more than what I described above.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I did make this thread a while ago. Here it is :)
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2009
    Hungryfreak;2067592 said:
    I did make this thread a while ago. Here it is :)
    i thought i remembered it, but i thought maybe it was just a dream, ...or is it just fantasy, caught in a landslide, though escaped from reality...

anyways, figures my brother from a Jewish mother would've started this :p lol
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Just proves that I'm good at rooting my self in the subconscious minds of people, haha.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2009
    Hungryfreak;2067603 said:
    Just proves that I'm good at rooting my self in the subconscious minds of people, haha.
    i bet we could start a thread here and everyone gives one line of the Bo. Rhap.
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I grew up listening to John Stewart and Shawn Colvin, specificaly around kindergarten. In 3rd grade I had my dad make me a mix CD from Musicmatch Jukebox, which featured Third Eye Blind, Green Day, Thin Lizzy, the Beatles, matchbox twenty, and John Stewart. I listened to that for a long time until I started watching MTV, Fuse, and VH1, where I hit my 3 year Green Day/My Chemical Romance/The Used phase (though I had Hendrix, AC/DC, and Aerosmith mixed in there). I then kind of.. got out of music until sixth grade and seventh grade (where I am now) when I started listening to my parents music (Kenny Loggins, the Beatles, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, the Cars, Dan Fogelberg, Rolling Stones, Clapton, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Little Feat, Van Morrison, Neil Young) and discovering my own here and through last.fm (doom metal, Blue Oyster Cult, Buffalo Springfield, Zappa, the Byrds, the Cure, Alice in Chains, the Doors, Big Star) and my recent reading of many musical books and borrowing of friend's parent's music along with my vinyl collection has brought along some new artists as well (Argent, Sanford & Towsend, Poco, Brewer & Shipley, Steely Dan).
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
    I wrote a huge article about this once. But here's a general idea:

Oldies, Pop, Radio Rock (pre-2006) -> Metal in general (2006) -> Alternative, Various (2007-)
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Phish -> The Turtles -> Dinosaur, Jr. -> The Byrds -> Ratt -> The Monkees - > Manfred Mann
  • ShibariShibari Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    I think my musical evolution is kinda strange. I listened to some crappy rap and pop when in 1-4th grades. (Europe btw) Then, at 5th grade i found Children of Bodom, and fell in love with that, instantly. One of my first metal bands was also Slipknot. Then, by time i just started to listen to some heavier stuff, and now I enjoy all kinds of metal. My favorite genres are Thrash and Death, and my fav bands are Evile, Metallica, At The Gates and Megadeth. (I was introduced to both Evile and ATG by RB, thrash pack = best pack ever)
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    i got into music in the 1st grade via my mom's old records, most especially those by the beatles, the carpenters, simon & garfunkel, elvis, and buddy holly... i was 100% fanatical about getting glasses like buddy holly's before school let out that year.

soon afterwards they bought me my own radio so i discovered more modern music, i quickly falling in love with bands like poison, motley crue, talking heads, blondie, and the human league. my first purchased album would come at the beginning of 2nd grade (a poison cassette) and would open the floodgates for a future of music obsession.

by the end of 4th grade i had starting seeing more of my older nephews and my half-brother (who is over 20 years older than me) from louisiana, all of whom had started feeding me mix-tapes, mostly filled with metal. i had already gotten into judas priest, iron maiden, metallica, megadeth, and black sabbath, but i was equally fascinated by the new stuff i was hearing on these mixes (slayer, helloween, celtic frost, mercyful fate, dio, etc.). i still don't have buddy holly glasses at this point.

i stuck mostly with metal for the next year or so until i received a dubbed copy of nirvana's "bleach". i fell in love and immediately starting doubling up on chores so i could send more cash to those who were making me tapes so i could get more...
    yes, by the 6th grade i had heard stuff from sonic youth, husker du, mudhoney, tom waits, pixies, and loads more. i didn't like all of it yet, but when "nevermind" dropped later that year i was well on my way to taking a break from all the metal and 80's pop/rock for a while and expanding my tastes in a very big way.

punk rock came slowly for me. i had heard of it, but only had it in my head what it may sound like. i had heard the sex pistols and the clash, but wasn't quite satisfied. i also finally got my hands on the ramones' debut, but wanted something more extreme...
    at my first band's first show we played with a bunch of dudes about 5 years older than us, but who we quickly befriended, and these guys were much more knowledgeable about music! during the latter half of 8th grade i was introduced to black & death metal, psych rock, indie/lo-fi, and punk rock that i really felt hit the nail on the head for me (the germs, dead kennedys, minor threat, etc.).

at this point i'd say my mind was opened up completely. it only took a little work through high school to actually get around to discovering other music like jazz, electronic music, world music, and various avant-garde/experimental styles. this was also the time i started looking back at music i wasn't into earlier in my life (hip-hop, country, classical, etc.)

i've still never had buddy holly glasses.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    This one's tough. When I was a kid, it was always southern rock and country. I didn't really like it much, though, I begged my parents for "city" music. Cute boy singers were de rigeur in my young childhood, the Cassidy's, Bay City Rollers, Leif Garrett, etc etc, but I also loved Meat Loaf and Kiss (although they scared me a little), but my real love at the time was probably disco.

Then, when I was 10 years old, I heard two songs that forever changed the way I heard music. One was Don't you Want Me Baby by the Human League, and the other was Tainted Love by Soft Cell. Overnight, I stopped listening to "rock" music, and became a wee new waver. I gobbled it all up - Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, New Order, Depeche Mode. If it was british and used synthesizers, it was my opium. It stayed this way until my cousin and I formed our first band. His favorite band at the time was suicidal tendencies (which is kinda ****ed up, considering the fact that both of us were pre-teens), and mine was Soft Cell, but the only song that either of us knew how to play on guitar was Smoke on the Water (interesting side note - I didn't actually hear this song until well after I learned to play it). We had an old beat up acoustic guitar with only 3 strings left, and a casio keyboard that had 4 pre-programmed drum beats, and the music was quite crappy, but we loved it so much that both of us became musicians (his band recently broke up after a deal with roadrunner fell through, mine broke up a few years earlier when I decided that my lead singer was an ass).

So after that, the summer of 84, I started listening to a little bit of metal and punk. Judas Priest, ST, Maiden, Def Leppard, Sex Pistols, Crue, etc etc. It didn't last long, because that was the same year that Purple Rain came out, and in order to piss of my racist father I started listening to funk and hip hop like Kool Keith, the Time, Doug E Fresh, Run DMC, Cameo, the Dazz Band, etc, etc. Then came teenage angst. The Cure, Mission UK, Skinny Puppy, Ministry, and Bauhaus took up the tail end of my teenage years (aside from a short phase of thrash metal and punk caused by a skater boyfriend, and an even shorter phase of hippy singer songwriter women). Once I hit adulthood, I stuck with goth, industrial, and rave (with some punk rock and no-wave here and there), and stayed that way until I got tired of the same music and the same people at the clubs. That was 1997, and the Spice Girls came out. While I didn't throw away my black clothes, I started to see music differently, as a way to have fun. I got into Britney and Christina Aguilera a few years later, at first ironically but since I was producing a few bands at the time, the pop polish that those first records had made a huge impact on my production. There's a song that I did for a goth/trip hop band that has a little piece that I ripped directly off of "Stronger" by Britney, and when I told the guitarist that I stole this technique from a teen pop singer, he thought it was the funniest thing he had ever heard.

Nowadays, I pretty much listen to everything, from the my parents' country music, gangsta rap, symphonic metal, goth rock, twee pop, pop-punk, alternative, grunge, progressive rock, hard trance - you name a genre and there's probably a band I like from it.

Right now, I'm not listening to anything.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Hmm

Birth-6th Grade:Music sucks

7th Grade:Queen-->Van Halen/Kiss (I'm still a big fan Queen, Kiss not so much, but I still like some of their stuff).

8th Grade:The Who(Briefly through their hits, John was my inspiration to pick up bass, I like the band quite a lot now).--->Rush(Rush fan forever)!

Freshman:Rush,Yes, The Mars Volta, Black Sabbath, general metal bands, and I start to pick my way through progressive rock.

Sophomore(Current):Anything that comes my way in general, not saying I've had a major expansion persay, but I'm more open than before.
  • ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    At first I was a classic rock only fan, and I was like that till basically only a year ago. Even then, I knew very little. I liked the Who a lot like 3 songs form band slike Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and I hated the Beatles. Thought they were to soft. I also despised all new stuff. Then, as I made friends with the rockers of my school my tastes grew, along with a few concerts (Rush and Lynyrd Skynyrd) a trip to the Rock N Roll hall of fame, and my brothers expanding musical taste. All of this made me within the last year go from music being just a side note to my life. First I got deeper into oldies, then I got into grunge. Then some metal, and a like of the Beatles followed (from my Social Studies teacher. I bought Number of The Beast and A beatles HIts CD from him). Then a friend got me into Rush even more then ever, I am now a big fan. My bro got me into the Doors, which led more 60's such as Cream, Jefferson Airplane, and Bob Dylan. Dylan led to more Folk Rock of which I now like alot and need lost more of. From Rush I found Prog interesting, and am currently working on more. Bought Fragile and the Yes album, and need some ELP and Zappa from the same friend. The friend AGAIN helped me by getting me int the Offspring, which made me borough some RHCP and Foo Fighters CD's from my bro which i now love. And im still looking for more stuff form all these genres, as I really don't have a lot. So yeah, that was alot, but once I start typing I can't stop!
  • RoadHogRoadHog Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    I grew up in the 80's and my mom was a DJ here at the local raidio station. Boston, Journey, Fleetwood Mac, Queen, Aerosmith, Reo Speedwagon and yes even "The King of Rock & Roll" Elvis Pressley was just a few of the bands(among many others) she played and i became fans of. In the 90's i went through the grundge phase like i'm shure alot of us did at that time. Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvanna and others were bands that i listend to the most. Then i started listening to metal music. The first time i heard Run to The Hills i was over at a freinds house and i wanted to know who that was. I instantly became a Maiden fan and a metal and hard rock fan at that very second. Metallica, Megadeth, Moterhead, Ozzy, AC/DC, Zepplin, Faith no More, Drowning Pool, Dream Theater...are bands that i discoverd and still listen to this very day.That's my story ..well...the short version anyway. I've NEVER listend to or been a fan of rap or country music and i absolutely refuse to listen to it.
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I grew up with some classics like Journey and Little River Band and Billy Joel and the like, but throughout middle school I basically just wanted to fit in and be popular, so I listened to whatever was on the radio. Every morning my mother would bring me to my dad's house to pick the bus up to go to school, and to pass the time I would watch VH1 and MTV, who had a block of popular music videos around that time (6:00-7:00). I grew accustomed to the likes of Kylie Minogue, DMX, Madonna, etc. etc. just because it was popular.

I also had a friend whose house I hung at once in awhile, and he was into similar stuff. He'd burn me mix CDs and I'd listen to whatever was on there, and I got into Rob Zombie that way. Though, after hearing Eminem's 'Lose Yourself' on MTV I got big into mainstream Rap for a time, but that lost its luster after about a year or so. Then I got into high school and, having played Grand Theft Auto: Vice City a lot, I grew accustomed to the stuff on V-Rock after meeting the school's stereotypical Metalhead type one day after school. We talked about some of the stuff we liked, and he invited me over at some point and we started hanging out. It was then that I started listening to a lot of Nu-Metal, Hard Rock, and Metal, stuff like Slipknot, System of a Down, Cradle of Filth, and pretty much whatever he told me was good.

After a while I started gathering music from all over the place (brother, internet, Metalhead friend) and my taste expanded. I became a regular on the Gaia Metal forum and started expanding my taste in Metal that way, and soon became a big Power Metal fan. That lasted up until I found Dream Theater and started listening to them a lot, then I started exploring Progressive Metal on a smaller scale. After my computer died in 2007, I took a hiatus from the internet and focused on other things, like playing video games and listening to other music. Upon finding a kiosk at the local Wal-Mart around Christmastime, I tried the first Rock Band and played 'Tom Sawyer' by Rush. Having started a modest Rush collection, I went back and relistened to Moving Pictures.

Now, at this point in time, I listened strictly to Metal and couldn't bring myself to listen to anything if it wasn't Metal in some way. Listening to Rush finally brought me to the conclusion that Metal isn't the be all, end all of music, so I started listening to more. I had secured a record player and a modest collection of records so I used what I had on vinyl to expand my taste even further.

Once I got back online, I decided to get cable internet instead of dial-up, so my options were much wider. With that on my side, I was able to download whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, and expand my tastes that way.

After a year of having cable internet, here I am.
  • edited March 2009
    When I was a kid, I was a slave to the radio, since it was an easy thing to blare when doing chores around the house. I gained a deep fondness for '90's Alternative Rock, which I maintain to this day. This is also when I began to hate Metallica, since growing up in Northern California you cannot avoid hearing them every other song. My first CD I bought was a copy of "Make Yourself" by Incubus, which I gobbled up, treating it as a musical bible, and repeating each track over and over again...

I would've been very boring had I not had a father who grew up as a hippy. My dad exposed to me the wide range of artists, of which I still couldn't probably name all of em. The big works were "Sailor" by Steve Miller Band, "American Beauty" by the Grateful Dead, "Surrealistic Pillow" by Jefferson Airplane... Though it wasn't all just psychedelic rock... He would play blues, folk music, popular music from the time, Prog, it was pretty much with a music history of the last 40 years, from a hippy's point of view. Everything from the Beatles to Stevie Ray Vaughn, to Eric Clapton, to Pink Floyd, to Supertramp, and hitting back on some acoustic Ry Cooder on the way back...

During this sort of musical education, I also was getting one of sorts from my older sister. Lit's "A Place in the Sun", The Foo Fighters' "There is Nothing Left to Lose", Muse's "Origin of Symmetry" were some of the discs I would get from her, and suck into my musical cerebrum...

Now after about my Sophomore year in high-school, I went from being a musically open minded person, to being an isolationist, thanks to the iPod. I stopped listening to the radio, all but completely. I turned from broadening my horizons and adding new artists to taking a perverse pride in fleshing out my library and filling my Old Gen iPod.

So I took summer job money, and turned it into a gargantuan record and CD collection, with some bits, gained through more dubious *cough Limewire cough* means.

Now, I'm a person who has piles of discs, and strong opinions, and loves to talk rock, with anyone who will listen. It's why I love to throw praise at Rock Band for it's DLC choices, which to a certain degree are fleshed out with a good basis of what I consider to be my type of music.

Though with my artists list, it's still got a way to go...
  • KingProgdorKingProgdor Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    How many CDs, exactly?
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    If Gowie's posted, basically the same as him only with more Black Metal.
  • jr174200jr174200 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Billy Joel > Michael Jackson > Guns N Roses > Nirvana > Phish (favorite band since, that was 1995 at 14, every band after was/is my 2nd favorite) > Wu-Tang Clan > Pink Floyd > Talking Heads > Wilco > Sigur Ros > Bright Eyes
  • Nitz13Nitz13 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I guess my story starts out through my dad, we used to take road trips and go camping all through my childhood. He would always have mix tapes that played, however I never really took interest outside of these trips. I wasn't much of a music fan till a year into high school. One day I was watching TV late at night and discovered a show called "Undergrads"(hence where my name and Av come from) anyways I heard the theme song (Good Charlotte's "The Clique") and I loved it. Then I really started getting into a lot of artists through The NHL tracklists. Such as Default, Treble Charger, Jimmy Eat World, Papa Roach ect... Ever since then my musical tastes have continued to grow. I just sometimes wished I would've found Music sooner that I did. :)
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2009
    OK, I'm going to try this with no flow-chart:

I started out with a background in music: I loved playing jazz and classical pieces on my family's old piano and started lessons when I was about 5. As for listening to music, I liked what was on the radio, and the songs that everyone knows, but that was about it. In 6th and 7th grade I was into stuff like Green Day, Blink 182, and other pop-rock stuff that I find too shameful to really get into detail of. That pop-rock stuff ended up leading me to R.E.M. and U2. R.E.M. led to me further exploring other alternative bands based on recommendations from friends, like RHCP, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. Then one fateful day I decided to listen to my now-defunct local alternative radio station during one of its 90's hits blocks or something. I heard two songs that probably changed my listening habits forever: Creep by Radiohead and Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve. I went out and bought The Bends and Urban Hymns that day. Both of these albums turned me into the huge alternative nut that I am today, but in different ways. The Bends led me to dig further into alternative: first to Oasis and Blur, then to Pixies, the Smiths, and Sonic Youth. I was fine listening to the Verve's Urban Hymns at first, but eventually I dug back into their shoegaze years, of course helped by the fact that I was a pretty big Smashing Pumpkins fan then. I then immediately fell in love with shoegaze and snapped up as many My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Lush, Catherine Wheel, and the like records as I could.

Around this time I also started to lose interest in U2 and gain interest in other post-punk bands, like Siouxsie and the Banshees and Joy Division. From Joy Division came new wave. Also, dispersed throughout this whole thing are prog and indie rock bands, led by Rush and Bloc Party. This isn't even close to complete, but it's the best I can really do without a flowchart, LOL.
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    From ages 1-5, I didn't know too much about music, although I do remember seeing the video for "Sober" by Tool on MTV and being amazed by it.

Anyway, age 6 we moved from California to good ol' Oklahoma to live closer to my mom's family. My relatives all listened to mostly country, but it was newer, mainstream country a la Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, stuff like that. I really enjoyed it, and I attribute that to the fact that everyone else did, I was 6 years old, and didn't know ANYTHING else about music. I don't really mind the country I listened to as a kid (although Chatahootchie by Alan Jackson made me laugh REALLY hard for about 20 minutes after hearing it again for the first time in 14 years), but it does absolutely nothing for me anymore.

So, age 8, we move from Chelsea, Oklahoma to Vinita, Oklahoma. Pretty much rural farmland to small-town USA. However, living on our own, and my mom driving me and my brother everywhere, we discovered the wonderful rock radio station and quickly fell in love. Being 1996, it was mostly grunge and mainstream rock being played. So I was exposed to a LOT of bands like Bush, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, STP, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, and unfortunately nothing really underground. There were some other mainstream acts like Tool, NIN and Metallica that I enjoyed at the time, too, Tool having the biggest impact on my music listening.

This phase of my life continued for probably 4 or 5 years, and at the time I considered heavier forms of metal to be icky. I didn't think it was bad, per se, but I just couldn't handle the screaming and all the awesome. A friend of mine from another forum eventually introduced me to Opeth, and I gave them an honest listen. I hated the heavier sections, but I adored the mellow, acoustic sections, and I actually enjoyed everything but the metal vocals. Those eventually grew on me, and that, combined with thoroughly enjoying the song "Death Blooms" by Mudvayne, I opened myself up the metal genre. Metallica, whom I already enjoyed, I began to actually enjoy their earlier work (pre-1990) in addition to their 90's work. I still favored clean vocals over screaming and growling, but I did enjoy both. Notable acts discovered during this period were among the likes of Sevendust, System of a Down, Iced Earth and Blind Guardian.

This continued for another 3 or 4 years. As per just catching a video for Kenna's "Hell Bent" on MTV2, I discovered that I really, REALLY enjoy rock music with heavy synth and electronic infuence such as the aforementioned Kenna, The Prize Figher Inferno or Blaqk Audio. Not much of a story behind that one, just a random discovery =p

Also, I discovered Radiohead because a girl I liked loved them, and I wanted to impress her by being cool. I then quickly discovered that she wasn't worth it and Radiohead totally was.

Age 16, I went through a scene phase where I liked all kinds of crappy scene kid bands, but a few stuck with me, and those would be Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, My Chemical Romance, and The Used. There were like, 20 other ones, but they all sucked rocks and I stopped liking them after six months. Alexisonfire was a good example. God, I hate that band XD

Anyway, age 17, I met my girlfriend, and for the first time in my life I have actually melded musical tastes with someone else instead of just forcing everything I like onto them. I introduced her to a lot of what I listened to as a kid (mostly the grunge scene). Her influence came later, so I'll get to that later =p

I also met my stepdad at this time, and he's pretty much a giant classic rock junkie. Myself, Outside of some metal, didn't like just about anything made before 1990. Not so much for a lack of respect for pioneers, but it was very, very different than anything I had listened to before and I had a hard time getting into it. Then, I heard "Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin from School of Rock, "Pinball Wizard" by The Who while listening to a classic rock station, and my ex was really into Queen, so I gave those a shot and quickly fell in love with a number of a bands. Notable acts from this phase include The Beatles, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, The Who, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Chicago, and other bands that are cool to name-drop.

There was also Simon & Garfunkel which got me into the world of folk and otherwise mellow/acoustic music such as Iron & Wine, Sufjan Stevens, Elliott Smith and Alexi Murdoch.

Now, my girlfriends. This started probably about a year and a half ago. In the late 90's, I associated the word "pop" with boy bands and people like Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera, and associated "pop" with "bad." My girlfriend likes pop music and exposed me to a number of good pop artists. Michael Jackson being one of them (although I discovered him on my own after finding out that pop doesn't suck). And while the next section would be classified as more "pop/rock" than actual pop, this is her biggest attribute to my musical taste: Pretty much anything that is what we collectively call "dance-y" because we're too damn lazy to come up with anything else XD Artists like Metro Station, Cobra Starship (BOO! I know), and OK Go I discovered to thoroughly enjoy because of her.

Annnnd, finally, about a couple months ago XD The one thing you may have noticed is that every "notable" artist thus far is quite mainstream and while there's nothing wrong with that, I'm missing out on a lot of good artists. Our very own Gowie has made it his goal to teach me the ways of music that I, before the discovery of last.fm, had little means of discovering in an efficient matter. With his help I have discovered the likes of Rishloo, Pineapple Thief, Heatmiser (I knew who they were, being a fan of Elliott Smith, but I never got off my ass to listen to Heatmiser), Fair to Midland, Joe Bonassamo, Racer X, and many others. He also has introduced me to hip hop, an artist I grew up irrationally hating because it was cool at the time (and I later simply disliked as I had heard nothing that I enjoyed). So far I have discovered that I love Kanye West's newest CD, I also like Janelle Monae and k-os.

And, there you have it, one poorly-written, jumbled, detail-missing but still needlessly long essay later.
  • Shredder87Shredder87 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    yeah, my story is on that link Hungry put up.
  • DeadPhoenix223DeadPhoenix223 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Grade School- Country/Rap/Whatever Everybody Else Was
    5th Grade- Hated Music, Thought Music Was Horrible
    6th Grade Q1- Back To Country and Blues
    6th Grade Q2- Mostly Blues/Some R&B
    6th Grade Q3- Classic/Jazz/Country
    6th Grade Q4- Finally Discovered Rock
    Summer Break- Explored Rock Roots/Began Playing Guitar
    7th Grade Q1- Punk Rock/Light Metal
    7th Grade Q2- Metal (All Types)/Hard Rock/Classic Rock/Blues
    7th Grade Break- Heavy Metal (Mostly Metallica)
    Now- Metal Only, Now i'm a full-blown metalhead, and never going back to K-5th grade style. Blues no longer suits me, and it's been a year since i found Metal, and it saved my life, so there ya go.
  • DarkSide247DarkSide247 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    t starts when I was about five. Every now and then, my dad would listen to music through his computer. As I ran through the house like the energetic toddler I was, I would go by the den and hear him listening to Led Zeppelin and King Crimson. The music scared me and I loved it at the same time.

Fast forward, say...4 years, to when I was 9. By then, I had lost interest in my dad's "old" music, and I got into Jesse McCartney. Nowadays I hate him, but back then I thought he had a great voice and was very talented. So, I got his Beautiful Soul CD and a sing-along CD for Christmas. I would constantly listen to that CD, how I loved it.

About a year later, I start to get into Rock. I was looking at AMV's (yes, I love anime) and I saw this one that had a song called Numb by Linkin Park. My dad noticed this, and was apparently a fan of LP, too. He gave me his copy of Meteora, which I listened to constantly for a month. Then, it randomly ended. I had no idea what to listen to, so I would hang out in the den and listen to my dad' music. After he figured what I liked, he gave me some U2, David Bowie, and Led Zeppelin CD's. Then, I went to Wal-Mart one day and bought Metallica's self-titled "Black Album". I went home and put it in the CD player. I couldn't hear the intro to Enter Sandman, so I turned it to 11!!!1!111!! (No, really though, I turned to 10. >_>) Then, as the distorted guitar came in, I flew out of my chair in fear. Wow. This was the heaviest stuff I've ever heard (<_<). Now, I got into Metal.

<<Fast Forward 1 Year>>

Christmas has come. I was anticipating two brand new video games: Guitar Hero: Legends of Rock and Rock Band. These introduced me to SO much. I got into Alice Cooper, Foghat, Nirvana. I owe so much to these games. After getting more into Rock, my dad got me into Prog. How I adored his King Crimson and his Porcupine Tree. I loved the sound, how complex it was, and it made felt smart (JK). By now, I was into Classic Rock, Grunge, Hard Rock, Progressive, and Metal. My aunt had gotten me into many Alternative bands like Radiohead and Coldplay,

For a while now I had been a part of the Rock Band forums. I had recently went into the History of Rock forums, where I got most of my bands and musical knowledge from. I got into even more Prog. and Krautrock, especially Kraftwerk. I also learned about Doom Metal. Thanks to WiffleBallTony and Shaodar (MANY thanks, actually), I learned about Orange Goblin, Electric Wizard, The Sword, and Sleep. Soon, I got into even more Doom. Rock Band forums also inspired me to get into Black and Death Metal. I got into many bands, but mainly Death. This was followed by Noise and Drone. I got into Merzbow, Sunn O))), Pissed Jeans, Melvins, and more. So now, I'm mainly into:

Alternative/Grunge
    Classic Rock
    Hard Rock
    Doom Metal
    Classic Metal
    Progressive
    Black Metal
    Etc.
    Etc.
    Etc.

Thar you go.
  • Luke1428Luke1428 Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    I always listened to the rock stations that my parents played in the car from when i was a baby through elementary school. my dad always played lots of classic rock and kinda classic rock, mainly the beatles, nirvana, alice in chains. and my mom played a lot of santana, and also some tradition spanish music so i have a taste for that stuff(and i guess its in my blood)

as i got older in middle school some radio stations started playing more modern music and i became a fan of classic rock and just about all new rock that wasnt really heavy screamo crap. i still never bought any albums or really knew names of songs and bands i liked but thats when i started looking up songs and artists and really getting into music.

now in high school i still listen to the same stuff. classic and new rock like green day and the white stripes to name a few.

rock is really the only genre i like(and alternative i guess. dont really get the difference). i would say i like reggae but i really only like bob marley. i hate country and hip hop. i do like a few rap songs but i would listen to just any rap cus most of it would hurt my ears.