Anyone else limit themselves musically?

DemeniseDemenise Rising Star
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
I despise all rap and all metal (except for some classic artists who people call metal when the songs really have more of a hard rock feel.) I also can't stand (pretty much any) year 2000+ music, and a good portion of late 1900's music. Really, I limit myself to branches of rock from the '60s to the '80 (and some '90s) and shun literally everything else.

Anyone else limit themselves this much?

Comments

• GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
    No, being narrow-minded and ignorant isn't a cool thing to do.
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    afterstasis;2076206 said:
    absolutely not.

of course i try to avoid listening to individual pieces of music that i dislike, and i don't actively explore the very few styles i dislike, but love music and want to experience as much new stuff as possible and try to constantly expand my library.
    QFT. Sort of.

I'm open to give anything a shot, for the most part. At this point in my life, country is probably the only genre I will not go out of my way not to explore, but I am open to anyone's suggestions for it under the pretense that I probably won't like it =p

Other than that, I used to dislike quite a bit of hip hop, but thanks to me deciding that I should give Kanye West's new CD a shot based on liking the single, and a number of suggestions from gowie, I have recently discovered that it's pretty damn awesome XD

I don't like specific subgenres of wider genres. For example, I haven't heard a single grindcore band to have one quality that I would personally find redeeming, and I tend to favor metal with clean vocals over screaming or growling, but I am open to a number of bands of the latter.

My tastes are nowhere near as broad as the likes of afterstasis or gowie, but I am just as willing to at the very least give anything a listen, unless I specifically know it's a genre I don't like or from an artist I don't like (and even then, I'd probably give it a shot if it was suggested by someone else).
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    I try to blend genres I do not like with genres I do like like Prog. and Death Metal I can not stand Death Metal, but actually like some Death Prog. Metal groups like Cynic is probably the best example
  • Nuff_SaidNuff_Said Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    if you limit yourself you will quickly find yourself listening to the same bands/albums for the rest of your life. What a bummer that would be.
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Fizzeler;2076314 said:
    I try to blend genres I do not like with genres I do like like Prog. and Death Metal I can not stand Death Metal, but actually like some Death Prog. Metal groups like Cynic is probably the best example
    I give you...ATHEIST!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyEqpZlZek8
    edited March 2009
    JukeBoxHero;2076332 said:
    They are the second band that comes to mind then Opeth
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    afterstasis;2076206 said:
    absolutely not.

of course i try to avoid listening to individual pieces of music that i dislike, and i don't actively explore the very few styles i dislike, but love music and want to experience as much new stuff as possible and try to constantly expand my library.
    This. If anything, nowadays, I try to listen in particular to genres I normally dislike to find good bands within them, since I know they're out there.
    edited March 2009
    Hungryfreak;2076412 said:
    This. If anything, nowadays, I try to listen in particular to genres I normally dislike to find good bands within them, since I know they're out there.
    My point exactly I really like Cynic's new album and Opeth's non Death Metal album, but their Death stuff is not bad must hear Atheist's new album when it is released :)
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    I, personally, refuse to listen to anything but The Jonas Brothers.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited March 2009
    instantdeath999;2076584 said:
    <3
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2009
    instantdeath999;2076584 said:
    OMG WHOS YOUR FAVE JO BRO MINE IS JOE HE'S SO HAWWWWT

I think my IQ dropped a few points typing that.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Not consciously, but there are certain genres I'm hesitant to approach, like prog and melodeath, and even then there are some exceptions, I really like what I've heard of Procol Harum. Also, I've never heard I post-grunge band I didn't dislike.
    edited March 2009
    MronoC;2076896 said:
    Not consciously, but there are certain genres I'm hesitant to approach, like prog and melodeath, and even then there are some exceptions, I really like what I've heard of Procol Harum. Also, I've never heard I post-grunge band I didn't dislike.
    Cold?
    Day of Fire?
    Chevelle?
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    I've got some of the most eclectic tastes in music ever. I listen to almost literally all genres of music, including some that no longer exist and some from every corner of the globe.

That's why I'm absolutely LOVING RB's forays into new genres.

But I'm not going to hate on anyone for being narrow-minded about their musical choices. I don't agree with it, but it's ridiculous to expect people not to be close-minded about what kind of music they like.

But for god's sake, don't go around telling people they're wrong or crazy or whatever because they happen to listen to something you don't like.

Rock and roll is a BIG tent.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Gowienczyk;2077085 said:
    Cold?
    Day of Fire?
    Chevelle?
    I may have heard something by Chevelle at some point, but I don't think I've ever even heard of the other two, but it's not like I heard Hinder and rushed off to find out more about the genre, what albums would you recommend?
    edited March 2009
    MronoC;2077184 said:
    I may have heard something by Chevelle at some point, but I don't think I've ever even heard of the other two, but it's not like I heard Hinder and rushed off to find out more about the genre, what albums would you recommend?
    Chevelle (This Type of Thinking Could Do Us In)
    Cold (Year of the Spider)
    Day of Fire (Cut & Move, Day of Fire)

Post-Grunge isn't amazing but those albums are better than Hinderbacksmack Days Grace
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Gowienczyk;2077226 said:
    Chevelle (This Type of Thinking Could Do Us In)
    Cold (Year of the Spider)
    Day of Fire (Cut & Move, Day of Fire)

Post-Grunge isn't amazing but those albums are better than Hinderbacksmack Days Grace
    Send the Pain Below is Chevelle's more popular song.
    edited March 2009
    supernova1324;2077248 said:
    Send the Pain Below is Chevelle's more popular song.
    Where did I mention songs?
    edited March 2009
    Gowienczyk;2077303 said:
    Where did I mention songs?
    I misread...
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Never. I feel nothing but pity for people who limit their music listening, although that is their choice, however unfortunate it may be. I also have a really hard time believing a person could only enjoy just one or two genres; you'd have to get bored eventually. There are "worthy" artists in every single genre.
    edited March 2009
    Runesmith;2077333 said:
    Never. I feel nothing but pity for people who limit their music listening, although that is their choice, however unfortunate it may be. There are "worthy" artists in every single genre.
    While not a genre, got any Tween recommendations? :p
  • warthogdbwarthogdb Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    I think that some folks that I have known spread themselves so thin that that had no roots in anything because they never get past the "top 40" in a dozen genres.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited March 2009
    instantdeath999;2077339 said:
    While not a genre, got any Tween recommendations? :p
    Well, They Might Be Giants makes some excellent children's music...

;)
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    I really feel bad for the people who can't grow out of the one or two bands they listen to exclusively.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    rap is crap.
    metal sucks.
    edited March 2009
    neckermanncj;2077624 said:
    rap is crap.
    metal sucks.
    In other words, the answer to the OP would be "yes".
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    You've heard of Metal Sucks? It's a pretty nice metal blog, though I don't really check it ever.
  • zeldazeppelinzeldazeppelin Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    I hate all country. I like Rap/Hip-Hop, Funk, Blues, Jazz, R&B, some rock and some metal mostly power metal and bands like mastodon. I also like some pop mostly JPop.
    edited March 2009
    zeldazeppelin;2077765 said:
    I hate all country. I like Rap/Hip-Hop,Funk,Blues,Jazz, some rock and some metal mostly power metal and bands like mastodon. I also like some pop mostly JPop.
    You even hate Jonny Cash and Willie Nelson? I find that hard to believe.
  • zeldazeppelinzeldazeppelin Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    supernova1324;2077776 said:
    You even hate Jonny Cash and Willie Nelson? I find that hard to believe.
    Ok Fine I like some Johnny Cash. He is considered to be more then Country though.