Anyone else limit themselves musically?

DemeniseDemenise Rising Star
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
I despise all rap and all metal (except for some classic artists who people call metal when the songs really have more of a hard rock feel.) I also can't stand (pretty much any) year 2000+ music, and a good portion of late 1900's music. Really, I limit myself to branches of rock from the '60s to the '80 (and some '90s) and shun literally everything else.

Anyone else limit themselves this much?

Comments

• FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Hungryfreak;2076412 said:
    This. If anything, nowadays, I try to listen in particular to genres I normally dislike to find good bands within them, since I know they're out there.
    My point exactly I really like Cynic's new album and Opeth's non Death Metal album, but their Death stuff is not bad must hear Atheist's new album when it is released :)
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    I, personally, refuse to listen to anything but The Jonas Brothers.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited March 2009
    instantdeath999;2076584 said:
    <3
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2009
    instantdeath999;2076584 said:
    OMG WHOS YOUR FAVE JO BRO MINE IS JOE HE'S SO HAWWWWT

I think my IQ dropped a few points typing that.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Not consciously, but there are certain genres I'm hesitant to approach, like prog and melodeath, and even then there are some exceptions, I really like what I've heard of Procol Harum. Also, I've never heard I post-grunge band I didn't dislike.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
    MronoC;2076896 said:
    Not consciously, but there are certain genres I'm hesitant to approach, like prog and melodeath, and even then there are some exceptions, I really like what I've heard of Procol Harum. Also, I've never heard I post-grunge band I didn't dislike.
    Cold?
    Day of Fire?
    Chevelle?
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    I've got some of the most eclectic tastes in music ever. I listen to almost literally all genres of music, including some that no longer exist and some from every corner of the globe.

That's why I'm absolutely LOVING RB's forays into new genres.

But I'm not going to hate on anyone for being narrow-minded about their musical choices. I don't agree with it, but it's ridiculous to expect people not to be close-minded about what kind of music they like.

But for god's sake, don't go around telling people they're wrong or crazy or whatever because they happen to listen to something you don't like.

Rock and roll is a BIG tent.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Gowienczyk;2077085 said:
    Cold?
    Day of Fire?
    Chevelle?
    I may have heard something by Chevelle at some point, but I don't think I've ever even heard of the other two, but it's not like I heard Hinder and rushed off to find out more about the genre, what albums would you recommend?
    edited March 2009
    MronoC;2077184 said:
    I may have heard something by Chevelle at some point, but I don't think I've ever even heard of the other two, but it's not like I heard Hinder and rushed off to find out more about the genre, what albums would you recommend?
    Chevelle (This Type of Thinking Could Do Us In)
    Cold (Year of the Spider)
    Day of Fire (Cut & Move, Day of Fire)

Post-Grunge isn't amazing but those albums are better than Hinderbacksmack Days Grace
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Gowienczyk;2077226 said:
    Chevelle (This Type of Thinking Could Do Us In)
    Cold (Year of the Spider)
    Day of Fire (Cut & Move, Day of Fire)

Post-Grunge isn't amazing but those albums are better than Hinderbacksmack Days Grace
    Send the Pain Below is Chevelle's more popular song.
    edited March 2009
    supernova1324;2077248 said:
    Send the Pain Below is Chevelle's more popular song.
    Where did I mention songs?
    edited March 2009
    Gowienczyk;2077303 said:
    Where did I mention songs?
    I misread...
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Never. I feel nothing but pity for people who limit their music listening, although that is their choice, however unfortunate it may be. I also have a really hard time believing a person could only enjoy just one or two genres; you'd have to get bored eventually. There are "worthy" artists in every single genre.
    edited March 2009
    Runesmith;2077333 said:
    Never. I feel nothing but pity for people who limit their music listening, although that is their choice, however unfortunate it may be. There are "worthy" artists in every single genre.
    While not a genre, got any Tween recommendations? :p
  • warthogdbwarthogdb Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    I think that some folks that I have known spread themselves so thin that that had no roots in anything because they never get past the "top 40" in a dozen genres.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited March 2009
    instantdeath999;2077339 said:
    While not a genre, got any Tween recommendations? :p
    Well, They Might Be Giants makes some excellent children's music...

;)
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    I really feel bad for the people who can't grow out of the one or two bands they listen to exclusively.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    rap is crap.
    metal sucks.
    edited March 2009
    neckermanncj;2077624 said:
    rap is crap.
    metal sucks.
    In other words, the answer to the OP would be "yes".
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    You've heard of Metal Sucks? It's a pretty nice metal blog, though I don't really check it ever.
  • zeldazeppelinzeldazeppelin Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    I hate all country. I like Rap/Hip-Hop, Funk, Blues, Jazz, R&B, some rock and some metal mostly power metal and bands like mastodon. I also like some pop mostly JPop.
    edited March 2009
    zeldazeppelin;2077765 said:
    I hate all country. I like Rap/Hip-Hop,Funk,Blues,Jazz, some rock and some metal mostly power metal and bands like mastodon. I also like some pop mostly JPop.
    You even hate Jonny Cash and Willie Nelson? I find that hard to believe.
  • zeldazeppelinzeldazeppelin Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    supernova1324;2077776 said:
    You even hate Jonny Cash and Willie Nelson? I find that hard to believe.
    Ok Fine I like some Johnny Cash. He is considered to be more then Country though.
  • CHK10063764CHK10063764 Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    cherokeesam;2077127 said:
    I've got some of the most eclectic tastes in music ever. I listen to almost literally all genres of music, including some that no longer exist and some from every corner of the globe.

That's why I'm absolutely LOVING RB's forays into new genres.

But I'm not going to hate on anyone for being narrow-minded about their musical choices. I don't agree with it, but it's ridiculous to expect people not to be close-minded about what kind of music they like.

But for god's sake, don't go around telling people they're wrong or crazy or whatever because they happen to listen to something you don't like.

Rock and roll is a BIG tent.
    This sums up what my answer would be.

Outside of rock and roll though, the one genre I do hate is rap/hip-hop. I like classical/jazz/blues, but I just cannot find much redeeming qualities in rap even if I try.

My motto: Music is like candy, you have to first take the wrapper out. XD
    edited March 2009
    CHK10063764;2078048 said:
    This sums up what my answer would be.

Outside of rock and roll though, the one genre I do hate is rap/hip-hop. I like classical/jazz/blues, but I just cannot find much redeeming qualities in rap even if I try.

Your childish narrow-minded ignorance needs to go back in the daycare you came from.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I like what Im like, I cant help what Im attracted too. Yes, I limit myself to certain types of music. I keep up with most forms of extreme metal but I will listen to and collect 60s and 70s rock, jazz fusion, and some 90s stuff (Primus, FNM, Offspring, etc)
  • QuinarvyQuinarvy Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    neckermanncj;2077624 said:
    rap is crap.
    metal sucks.

Being close minded sucks.

Especially if you love Radiohead.
  • ArmsAreLoudArmsAreLoud Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I've found that there's an exception to every rule, really; I generally despise rap, but I love Run-DMC. You won't find me listening to much country... other than Brad Paisley.
    edited March 2009
    CHK10063764;2078048 said:

OMG THAT IS SO FUNNY! I don't think I've ever heard that before!
  • Nuff_SaidNuff_Said Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    im a huge metal fan. Pretty much what i listen to on a daily basis. But that doesn't mean i only listen to metal. I can listen to everything. I used to love rap music when i was younger, but grew out of its juvenile leanings. I still listen to some old 2pac cd's or some old Tribe X every now and then to build up my nostalgia.