NEW Devo album announced!

Tofu_HanaTofu_Hana Unsigned
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
Their new album has been announced, and it's their first album since their 1990 release, "Smooth Noodle Maps." I'm glad to see them going for it again, and trying to re-establish themselves amongst current artists. What's everyone else's thoughts on the announcement of the new album? Also, I'm going to reach through the internet and flick the nose of the first person to say, "Whip It was their only good song."

Edit: Also, watch these videos.
Smart Patrol/ Mr DNA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3GDDspNrdM
Gut Feeling/ Slap Your Mammy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfzqK5XZa-E

OR YOU COULD JUST WATCH THIS ENTIRE PLAYLIST:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=5C2D87E2788D10D9

I think those songs would sell if they were DLC.

Comments

• clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I'd like to see if they announce a tour now.
  • RockBandRockerRockBandRocker Love Is A Battleship
    edited March 2009
    I'm down! The world needs DEVO!

Granted, it wouldn't be like "Freedom Of Choice", but it would rock.
  • Tofu_HanaTofu_Hana Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    clashcityrocker10;2089153 said:
    I'd like to see if they announce a tour now.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they did, seeing as how they're still playing a lot of shows. So, a tour for this album is quite possible.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Here's hoping for some DLC also, awesome hoping to get tickets for the tour
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2009
    I hope they don't sell out like they did with Devo 2.0.
    edited March 2009
    Alright_Computer;2089213 said:
    I hope they don't sell out like they did with Devo 2.0.
    Actually, you should read up on Devo 2.0. Gerry basically said, "We hate Disney, and our music and influence is what corporations avoided for years. We thought it was interesting when Disney came to us and asked "us" to something for them."

They just did it out of curiosity, because they thought it would be funny. He also goes on to talk about the lyrics they had to change.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2009
    Tofu_Hana;2089254 said:
    Actually, you should read up on Devo 2.0. Gerry basically said, "We hate Disney, and our music and influence is what corporations avoided for years. We thought it was interesting when Disney came to us and asked "us" to something for them."

They just did it out of curiosity, because they thought it would be funny. He also goes on to talk about the lyrics they had to change.
    I'm admittedly not too familiar with Devo 2.0. It's probably not "selling out" like I called it, but it was still a terrible idea.
  • itsmemjgitsmemjg Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    Tofu_Hana;2089149 said:
    Their new album has been announced, and it's their first album since their 1990 release, "Smooth Noodle Maps." I'm glad to see them going for it again, and trying to re-establish themselves amongst current artists. What's everyone else's thoughts on the announcement of the new album? Also, I'm going to reach through the internet and flick the nose of the first person to say, "Whip It was their only good song."
    I dont like any of devos music including whip it..i dont believe this would sell very much as dlc but thats just my opinion, to each there own!
    edited March 2009
    itsmemjg;2089347 said:
    I dont like any of devos music including whip it..i dont believe this would sell very much as dlc but thats just my opinion, to each there own!
    I don't think Devo would sell well either, and I wish there was a chart on the RB site somewhere showing sales of DLC. It may not sell, but then again a lot of the DLC probably doesnt sell either. I'm just glad everytime I see different Devo content featured it makes me happy. I'm just glad Uncontrollable Urge was put in RB2 and not anything else. We all know what song would have been put in. It's like, now people have to acknowledge Devo has more than one song.

Edit: wait, I'm just going to throw a video up top.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Tofu_Hana;2089452 said:
    I don't think Devo would sell well either, and I wish there was a chart on the RB site somewhere showing sales of DLC. It may not sell, but then again a lot of the DLC probably doesnt sell either. I'm just glad everytime I see different Devo content featured it makes me happy. I'm just glad Uncontrollable Urge was put in RB2 and not anything else. We all know what song would have been put in. It's like, now people have to acknowledge Devo has more than one song.
    I love Through Being Cool and pretty much their entire Debut

Actually their DLC sold well I believe
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    As I said in another thread, bar the first three albums, Devo have been too hit and miss. I'd rather not hear a simple resurrection of their old sound either.
    edited March 2009
    I know what you mean about just copying their old sound. It's a good sound, but it just turns most of their shows into "play half of Q: Are We Not Men, 2 songs from Duty Now." I want them to combine old sound, but do something new with it that doesn't completely turn it towards a direction that ther much later albums went. Like, I know this sounds wierd, but when I listen to Watch Us Work It, it kind of makes me think of math type rock. I don't know if anyone else gets where I'm coming from.
    edited March 2009
    Tofu_Hana;2089523 said:
    I know what you mean about just copying their old sound. It's a good sound, but it just turns most of their shows into "play half of Q: Are We Not Men, 2 songs from Duty Now." I want them to combine old sound, but do something new with it that doesn't completely turn it towards a direction that ther much later albums went. Like, I know this sounds wierd, but when I listen to Watch Us Work It, it kind of makes me think of math type rock. I don't know if anyone else gets where I'm coming from.
    If Devo produced a wonderful ambient album, I'd love it. I don't care what they make if it's good and not rooted in their past, because my main problem with them is that they stagnated, totally against the band's main themes!
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2089533 said:
    If Devo produced a wonderful ambient album, I'd love it. I don't care what they make if it's good and not rooted in their past, because my main problem with them is that they stagnated, totally against the band's main themes!
    Ambient... You mean like their "E-Z Listening" cd?
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Fizzeler;2089462 said:

Actually their DLC sold well I believe
    its actually among the worst selling DLC
    edited March 2009
    I'm a bit sad to hear it didn't do well, but I'm not surprised... I think they could have picked a better song than "Through Being Cool", but Devo handpicked that one themselves. Oh god, why couldn't it of just been "Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammy?"
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Tofu_Hana;2090731 said:
    I'm a bit sad to hear it didn't do well, but I'm not surprised... I think they could have picked a better song than "Through Being Cool", but Devo handpicked that one themselves. Oh god, why couldn't it of just been "Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammy?"
    i dont think any Devo other than "Whip it" would have sold well. The general public sees devo as a one hit wonder.
    edited March 2009
    That could b true, but since RB2 featured Uncontrollable Urge, I've actually heard a few metal heads here and there on Call of Duty give props to Devo because of that song. So, I think it's safe to say that RB2 is doing Devo some justice.
    edited March 2009
    Tofu_Hana;2089895 said:
    Ambient... You mean like their "E-Z Listening" cd?
    I said good ambient!
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2091466 said:
    I said good ambient!
    I guess it wasn't really good, but I just found it interesting.
  • defenestraterdefenestrater Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I'm hopeful that they'll do something worthwhile, but at the same time I'm not exactly holding my breath either.
  • xX_Sandman_XxxX_Sandman_Xx Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    IMO Devo's music is annoying.
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I need to check out Devo, honestly. I never liked Whip It because it seemed too, I don't know, novelty? I guess. I don't know the word for it. But it never really gelled with me.

Through Being Cool was pretty cool and Girl U Want is awesome, though. And folks around here seem to really dig Devo, so hey.
    edited March 2009
    My name is Fez;2096464 said:
    I need to check out Devo, honestly. I never liked Whip It because it seemed too, I don't know, novelty? I guess. I don't know the word for it. But it never really gelled with me.

Through Being Cool was pretty cool and Girl U Want is awesome, though. And folks around here seem to really dig Devo, so hey.
    I updated my first post with a really good Youtube playlist of their live Central Park set from 2004. The first three songs are "eh" songs that are more known, but just stick with it. Once you get to Satisfaction, then you're getting somewhere.

EDIT: Also, I just noticed, you were from Akron. Yeah, they're popular there, because that's their hometown.