So Now That I've Been Exposed to Atheist

timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
Where else is music supposed to take me now? Off of Unquestionable Presence, there hasn't been a track I didn't like. The vocals have grown on me. And my god, the drumming on Mother Man is absolutely sick, as is all of the bass on the album. I'm kind of glad they're not on Rock Band, because even some good players would get embarrassed trying to play this stuff. Man, I don't know what I've been missing out on!

Comments

• JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Well they're in the process of making a new album, but obviously you should get the rest of their discography. Piece of Time is(my opinion) is an amazing record and Elements is great too.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    JukeBoxHero;2098857 said:
    Well they're in the process of making a new album, but obviously you should get the rest of their discography. Piece of Time is(my opinion) is an amazing record and Elements is great too.
    There's no way in hell that I'll NOT check out their other albums. Presence just blew me away. I especially love some of the bonus tracks, especially the version of Mother Man with just the drums and bass.
  • ImnotaImnota Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    For other bands perhaps try listening to Cynic(2 albums both very good) or maybe Meshuggah(Start with Destroy Erase Improve)?
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Best bets would be to check out Opeth, Nocturnus, Necrophagist and (or) Cynic all of which are tech/prog death metal.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    also check out demilich, lykathea aflame, !TOOH!, phlebotomized, pan.thy.monium, and edge of sanity.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Definitely try Cynic or Opeth after all they are the first other 2 bands I think of when Prog. Death Metal comes to mind :D

I would definitely say do not try Between The Buried And Me yet
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited March 2009
    timmay9;2099861 said:
    There's no way in hell that I'll NOT check out their other albums. Presence just blew me away. I especially love some of the bonus tracks, especially the version of Mother Man with just the drums and bass.
    Yeah, that bonus track was great, it clearly shows that Tony Choy/Roger Patterson did quite a lot to make Atheist have the sound they do.
  • SquaretrianglesSquaretriangles Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    That whole 'death metal lyrics growing on me' thing happened to me through Nile. They're a pretty great prog metal band when they incorporate Egyptian sounds into their music on some songs.