Coolest Song Title

SquaretrianglesSquaretriangles Road Warrior
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
As soon as I saw this song, I knew this thread had to happen.

Nile - "Papyrus Containing the Spell to Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks from He Who Is In the Water"

Your turn.

Comments

• Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2009
    The Flaming Lips - "What Is the Light? (An Untested Hypothesis Suggesting That the Chemical (In Our Brains) By Which We Are Able to Experience the Sensation of Being in Love Is the Same Chemical that Caused the "Big Bang" That Was the Birth of the Accelerating Universe)"

Longest song title EVAR.
  • Aussie721Aussie721 Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    Ho Ho F**ing Ho by Kevin Bloody Wilson
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited March 2009
    "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" - Pink Floyd

"...Of The Dead Who Never Rest In Their Tombs Are The Attendance Of Familiar Spirits... Including: A.) Diversified Signs Inscribed; B.) Our Earth Of Black; C.) Voor" - Absu

"The Sad But True Story Of Ray Mingus, The Lumberjack Of Bulk Rock City, And His Never Slacking Stribe In Exploiting The So Far Undiscovered Areas Of The Intention To Bodily Intercourse From The Opposite Species Of His Kind, During Intake Of All The Mental Condition That Could Be Derived From Fermentation (Harder Than Your Husband)" - Rednex
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I'm surprised that Bal-Sagoth titles haven't be dredged up yet, or Anal **** titles.

That said, overlong titles and silly, offensive ones aren't 'cool' to me, here are some titles I feel are cool;

Scout Niblett, **** Treasure Island - Ok, so it's slightly offensive, but I found the disavowal of the classic children's tale and by it, the very idea of adventure, very appealing.

Bob Dylan, Desolation Row - A reference to various works of literature, it's strange how much weight these two words carry, almost as much as the wild, shamanic rendering of pop culture and American history we get in the song's lyrics.

Bjork, All is Full of Love - The very title elates me, makes me feel at one with the world. It conjures an idea of closeness and intimacy, but at the same time, a very public, shared experience. I like this.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Pigs on the Wing I and II
    Simple, but effective.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    the mountain goats - there will be no divorce
    edited March 2009
    afterstasis;2105955 said:
    the mountain goats - there will be no divorce
    So much better with the band name next to it XD
  • SquaretrianglesSquaretriangles Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2105408 said:
    I'm surprised that Bal-Sagoth titles haven't be dredged up yet, or Anal **** titles.

That said, overlong titles and silly, offensive ones aren't 'cool' to me, here are some titles I feel are cool;

Scout Niblett, **** Treasure Island - Ok, so it's slightly offensive, but I found the disavowal of the classic children's tale and by it, the very idea of adventure, very appealing.

Bob Dylan, Desolation Row - A reference to various works of literature, it's strange how much weight these two words carry, almost as much as the wild, shamanic rendering of pop culture and American history we get in the song's lyrics.

Bjork, All is Full of Love - The very title elates me, makes me feel at one with the world. It conjures an idea of closeness and intimacy, but at the same time, a very public, shared experience. I like this.
    Good to see that you're not taking this too seriously or anything. :rolleyes:

Perhaps 'Wacky Song Titles' or 'Fun Song Titles' would've been better names for this thread....
    edited March 2009
    Squaretriangles;2107589 said:
    Good to see that you're not taking this too seriously or anything. :rolleyes:

Perhaps 'Wacky Song Titles' or 'Fun Song Titles' would've been better names for this thread....
    I'm terminally serious, how dare you make fun of my condition. It's a very serious condition.
  • onidragononidragon Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Your only friends are make believe-Bloodhound Gang
    -What other song title offends the listener in such a fashion?
    Lift your head up high(And blow our brains out)-Bloodhound Gang
    -Oh, there's one.
    Livin' at the corner of dude and catastrophe-MC Frontalot
    -Webcomic in-jokes? In MY music? Delicious!
    Full on Kevin's Mom-Soundgarden
    -I don't know, I think it's catchy
    Little Tiny Moustache-Stephen Lynch
    -Best anti-Nazi song evar? Yes.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    King Missile - The Boy who ate lasagna and could jump over a church (pts 1 & 2)
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    "Your Racist Friend" by They Might Be Giants
    "Mother Puncher" by Mastodon
    "Dead Babies" by Alice Cooper
    "The Rape of Miss Goldberg by Marvin" from the musical "In Trousers" by William Finn
  • classicrockdudeclassicrockdude Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Fat Bottomed Girls- Queen
  • thedanielthedaniel Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    You Look Like I Need A Drink- Against Me!
    (Back when they were still good)
  • ArmsAreLoudArmsAreLoud Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Jesus Christ Pose. Works especially well when you actually here it in the song.

...Yes, I am a fanboy.
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    This Cocaine Makes Me Feel Like I'm On This Song - SOAD

Nothing tops that..
    edited March 2009
    ArmsAreLoud;2109776 said:
    Jesus Christ Pose. Works especially well when you actually here it in the song.

...Yes, I am a fanboy.
    That made me think of:

Nirvana - "Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam"
  • ShiningIdealShiningIdeal Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    Hmm I was particularly fond of the title "Sick Hipster Nursed By Suicide Girl" But that was added bonus for the current state of my relationship at the time I found it for irony.

I also found "A Minor Place" to be a playfully witty name given the disk and contents.

My favorite quirky title's already been brought up elsewhere in here.

Some others I enjoy as attention getters were "The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth" "In Case We Die (pts 1-4)" "I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone" and "Tell Me Does She Love the Bass" just off the top of my head.
  • MdrnDayWarriorMdrnDayWarrior Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    A bunch of Bomb the Music Industry songs:

Does Your Face Hurt? No? 'Cause It's Killin' Me!!!
    It Ceases To Be "Whining" If You're Still Sh*ting Blood
    Big Plans of Sleeping In
    This is a Singalong
    I'm Terrorfied!!!
    Old and Unprofessional
    Even Winning Feels Bad
    OK Hangover
    Cold Chillin' Cold Chillin'
    Gang of Four Meets the Stooges (But Boring)
    (Shut) Up The Punx!!!
    Can I Pay My Rent In Fun?
    Stand There Until You're Sober
    Brian Wilson Says SMiLE a.k.a. Beard Of Defiance
    Syke! Life Is Awesome!
  • ZosoBaronZosoBaron Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    edited March 2009
    Squaretriangles;2110547 said:
    That made me think of:

Nirvana - "Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam"
    that's actually originally by the vaselines.
    edited March 2009
    afterstasis;2111552 said:
    that's actually originally by the vaselines.
    Really? Wow, when I heard it on "MTV Live..." it sounded like a Nirvana song....

Though I guess any song Kurt Cobain sings sounds like a Nirvana song. :p
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Squaretriangles;2111605 said:
    Really? Wow, when I heard it on "MTV Live..." it sounded like a Nirvana song....

Though I guess any song Kurt Cobain sings sounds like a Nirvana song. :p
    If I remember correctly, Kurt actually introduced it as a song written by the Vaselines.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Viva la Vida is a great song title.
    edited March 2009
    instantdeath999;2111643 said:
    If I remember correctly, Kurt actually introduced it as a song written by the Vaselines.
    yep.
    nirvana famously covered the song during their unplugged performance, though i'm pretty sure i remember seeing the song on a few live bootleg recordings as well.

they also covered "molly's lips" and "son of a gun" (two other vaselines tunes) on incesticide.
    edited March 2009
    I don't recall him introducing it like that....I guess I'll just have to go listen to it again.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Squaretriangles;2111856 said:
    I don't recall him introducing it like that....I guess I'll just have to go listen to it again.
    Yeah, it went something along the lines of this.

"This is a song by the Vaselines. I think they based it off of some old Christian song... well, we're doing it the Vaselines way".
  • Debaser_HexxDebaser_Hexx Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    Mansized Rooster by Supergrass, or We Are All Accelerated Readers by Los Campesinos!