History of Rock Trivia Thread: Alternative Edition!

Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
Here it is:

1. To date, two essential alternative albums have been inducted into the U.S. Library of Congress's National Recording Registry. Name these albums. (1 point each)

2. Lollapalooza, known for its eclectic mix of artists, was the brainchild of what alternative rock singer?

3. R.E.M. released their debut album in what year? Bonus: What label was it released on?

4. Rob Dickinson, the singer for alternative rock band Catherine Wheel, is of what relation to Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson?

5. What English alternative rock label is home to such bands as Throwing Muses, Lush, Pixies, and the Mountain Goats?

6. What alternative rock singer and guitarist wrote a short essay that was included in the special edition version of Beck's Odelay?

7. XTRMNTR, the sixth album by Primal Scream, featured such musical guests as supermodel Kate Moss and which member of Led Zeppelin?

8. J Mascis, most known for his involvement in Dinosaur Jr., is also the drummer for which Boston-based doom metal band?

9. "Gary's Got a Boner", featured on the Replacements' third album, features a riff borrowed from what 70's hard rocker?

10. After attending one of his band's gigs, Pete Townshend described which drummer as the most naturally gifted since Keith Moon?

Comments

• WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited March 2009
    1. To date, two essential alternative albums have been inducted into the U.S. Library of Congress's National Recording Registry. Name these albums. (1 point each)

2. Lollapalooza, known for its eclectic mix of artists, was the brainchild of what alternative rock singer? Perry Farrell

3. R.E.M. released their debut album in what year? Bonus: What label was it released on?

4. Rob Dickinson, the singer for alternative rock band Catherine Wheel, is of what relation to Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson? Cousin

5. What English alternative rock label is home to such bands as Throwing Muses, Lush, Pixies, and the Mountain Goats?

6. What alternative rock singer and guitarist wrote a short essay that was included in the special edition version of Beck's Odelay?

7. XTRMNTR, the sixth album by Primal Scream, featured such musical guests as supermodel Kate Moss and which member of Led Zeppelin?

8. J Mascis, most known for his involvement in Dinosaur Jr., was also the drummer for which Boston-based doom metal band? Witch

9. "Gary's Got a Boner", featured on the Replacements' third album, features a riff borrowed from what 70's hard rocker?

10. Pete Townshend of the Who asked which aspiring young drummer to join him and the rest of the legendary band onstage early on in said drummer's career?

That's all I've got.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    1. Velvet Underground and Nico, and Nevermind.

2. Perry Ferrell

3. Chronic Town, 1981, IRS Records

4. Cousins?

5. 4AD *****es!

6. Thurston Moore

7. Prolly John Paul Jones, who also produced Diamanda Galas and the Mission.

8. Witch

9. Peter Frampton? Total guess

10. Zack Starsky? I know he played with Oasis and the Who, but I'm not sure if you mean a one off like Thomas Halpin. If you mean that, then I have no idea.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2009
    Soror_YZBL;2110082 said:
    10. Zack Starsky? I know he played with Oasis and the Who, but I'm not sure if you mean a one off like Thomas Halpin. If you mean that, then I have no idea.
    Yeah, it was a one-off gig, I'll edit the question to make it more clear.
  • timmay9timmay9 Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    1. To date, two essential alternative albums have been inducted into the U.S. Library of Congress's National Recording Registry. Name these albums. (1 point each) Daydream Nation and Nevermind

2. Lollapalooza, known for its eclectic mix of artists, was the brainchild of what alternative rock singer? Perry Farrell

3. R.E.M. released their debut album in what year? Bonus: What label was it released on? Murmur and of course, I.R.S. Records (I have a compilation called the I.R.S. Years)

4. Rob Dickinson, the singer for alternative rock band Catherine Wheel, is of what relation to Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson? Brother?

5. What English alternative rock label is home to such bands as Throwing Muses, Lush, Pixies, and the Mountain Goats? ?

6. What alternative rock singer and guitarist wrote a short essay that was included in the special edition version of Beck's Odelay? Thurston Moore (have the album)

7. XTRMNTR, the sixth album by Primal Scream, featured such musical guests as supermodel Kate Moss and which member of Led Zeppelin? John Paul Jones (the oddball that he is)

8. J Mascis, most known for his involvement in Dinosaur Jr., is also the drummer for which Boston-based doom metal band? Witch

9. "Gary's Got a Boner", featured on the Replacements' third album, features a riff borrowed from what 70's hard rocker? Cat Scratch Fever (does listening to the song count as cheating?) or is the answer supposed to be Ted Nugent?

10. After attending one of his band's gigs, Pete Townshend described which drummer as the most naturally gifted since Keith Moon? Alan Wren, or Reni, of Stone Roses fame
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    nice. i know all but one of these!
    props, dude.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    1. Nevermind, no Idea on the second
    2. Perry Farrell

I have no idea on the rest, as a Mountain Goats fan I probably should know 5.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    1. Nevermind and Velvet Underground & Nico
    3. 1983, I.R.S. Records
    4. cousin
    6. Thurston Moore
    8. Witch
    edited March 2009
    afterstasis;2110338 said:
    nice. i know all but one of these!
    props, dude.
    Out of curiosity, which one is that?
  • ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    1: Nevermind and Ten
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Alright_Computer;2110585 said:
    Out of curiosity, which one is that?
    #10, sir. :)
    edited March 2009
    afterstasis;2111391 said:
    #10, sir. :)
    It was a tough one. I'm remaining quiet as to whether someone got the right answer on it or not.
  • SteelersFreak1SteelersFreak1 Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    1. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation and Nirvana - Nevermind
    2. Perry Farrell
    3. 1983 - I.R.S. Records
    4. Cousin
    5. 4AD Records
    6. Thurston Moore
    7. JPJ
    8. Witch
    9. Cat Scratch Fever
    10. ?
  • CycoMiko138CycoMiko138 Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    1. Nirvana's Nevermind and R.E.M.'s Automatic for the People?
    2. Perry Farrell
    3. 1985?
    4. None?
    5. Caroline?
    6. ?
    7. John Paul Jones
    8. Witch
    9. ?
    10.Jimmy Chamberlain?
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited March 2009
    1. To date, two essential alternative albums have been inducted into the U.S. Library of Congress's National Recording Registry. Name these albums. (1 point each) Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation and Nirvana's Nevermind

3. R.E.M. released their debut album in what year? Bonus: What label was it released on? 1982; Bonus: IRS Records

5. What English alternative rock label is home to such bands as Throwing Muses, Lush, Pixies, and the Mountain Goats? 4AD

6. What alternative rock singer and guitarist wrote a short essay that was included in the special edition version of Beck's Odelay? Jack White

7. XTRMNTR, the sixth album by Primal Scream, featured such musical guests as supermodel Kate Moss and which member of Led Zeppelin? John Paul Jones

9. "Gary's Got a Boner", featured on the Replacements' third album, features a riff borrowed from what 70's hard rocker? Ted Nugent

10. After attending one of his band's gigs, Pete Townshend described which drummer as the most naturally gifted since Keith Moon? Jeremiah Green of Modest Mouse
    edited March 2009
    edited March 2009
    Alright_Computer;2109856 said:
    Here it is:

1. To date, two essential alternative albums have been inducted into the U.S. Library of Congress's National Recording Registry. Name these albums. (1 point each) Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation and Nirvana's Nevermind

3. R.E.M. released their debut album in what year? Bonus: What label was it released on? 1983, Bonus: IRS Records

4. Rob Dickinson, the singer for alternative rock band Catherine Wheel, is of what relation to Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson? Cousin

5. What English alternative rock label is home to such bands as Throwing Muses, Lush, Pixies, and the Mountain Goats? 4AD

6. What alternative rock singer and guitarist wrote a short essay that was included in the special edition version of Beck's Odelay? Thurston Moore

7. XTRMNTR, the sixth album by Primal Scream, featured such musical guests as supermodel Kate Moss and which member of Led Zeppelin? Robert Plant

8. J Mascis, most known for his involvement in Dinosaur Jr., is also the drummer for which Boston-based doom metal band? Witch (I also would've accepted Upsidedown Cross)

9. "Gary's Got a Boner", featured on the Replacements' third album, features a riff borrowed from what 70's hard rocker? Ted Nugent

10. After attending one of his band's gigs, Pete Townshend described which drummer as the most naturally gifted since Keith Moon? Reni of the Stone Roses
    Answer time!
    edited March 2009
    SteelersFreak1 - 10
    Soror_YZBL - 8
    timmay9 - 8
    Runesmith - 7
    clashcityrocker10 - 6
    CycoMiko138 - 3
    MronoC - 2
    WhiffleBallTony - 2
    ClassicRockFanatic23 - 1
    And here's the score!
    edited March 2009
    Damn, I knew the R.E.M. thing too, I was just thinking Murmur, Murmur, Murmur so that's what I typed. :eek: