Battle Of The Big Four

DeadPhoenix223DeadPhoenix223 Road Warrior
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
Anthrax vs. Slayer vs. Metallica vs. Megadeth. (The Big Four) Who's the best? I'm with Metallica and Slayer, i like Megadeath, and Anthraxis ok i guess, ev though they did play with a rap group.

Comments

• back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Out of these four, my rankings go:

Slayer>>>Megadeth>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anthrax=Metallica

These aren't the best thrash groups in my eyes.
  • DeadPhoenix223DeadPhoenix223 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    but they're credited for founding thrash
    edited March 2009
    Not really. They were just the first to reach mainstream acceptance.
    edited March 2009
    yeah, because EVERYBODY listened to 70s thrash... ?
  • jgoshjgosh Super Star
    edited March 2009
    lol Deadpheonix, he's really picky when it comes to music. I'd say Metallica-Megadeth-Slayer-Anthrax
    edited March 2009
    i'm picky or he's picky? caus' i know i can be a little bit bias when it comes to music.
    edited March 2009
    Considered by many to be one of the thrash metal songs written in '81.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8dFOn9sG1w

Of course before then, Venom already released their demo called Demon in '80.
  • jgoshjgosh Super Star
    edited March 2009
    DeadPhoenix223;2110910 said:
    i'm picky or he's picky? caus' i know i can be a little bit bias when it comes to music.

Him
    edited March 2009
    yeah, i remember saying 70s thrash... but okay, look it up... i said the BIG FOUR! THE BIG FOUR are the "big four" names in rock credited by many to be the founders of Thrash. (including me). Let's stop arguing, you get my point, and i think that other people do too., so i can fight back with proof of my theory too if you want to? although i really don't feel like it.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited March 2009
    back_blows;2110850 said:
    Not really. They were just the first to reach mainstream acceptance.
    I dunno, Hit The Lights was written the exact same time that Overkill wrote a song. Venom is debatable as they dont have the technical flurry that is normally associated with thrash.

As for my vote. Too close too call. My least favorite is Anthrax but between Slayer, Megadeth, and the early Metallica I can go any way.

Now my favorite thrash band is Coroner.
    edited March 2009
    They couldn't possibly be the founders of Thrash if someone already made it before them. Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax are commonly referred to as the Big Four, because they achieved the most mainstream success.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    I believe Thrash originated in Europe before America. The Big Four were American Thrash bands that helped pioneer the genre. Personally, I do prefer American Thrash to European Thrash.

My favorite is probably Metallica, though I wouldn't call them the best.
    edited March 2009
    Thrash metal is American made. Metallica, like or not, released a studio album (Kill Em All) before Overkill's first demo.
    edited March 2009
    back_blows;2110975 said:
    They couldn't possibly be the founders of Thrash if someone already made it before them. Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax are commonly referred to as the Big Four, because they achieved the most mainstream success.

okay!!!!! o my god! nag, nag, nag! please just shut up and stop provinding me with this amazing proof. if you want to keep giving out these great and true facts go ahead, i'll just keep posting this over and over until the mods come in and delightfully take me away. i already said:you get my point! and i believe everyone else does. Thrash may have existed before, but nobody listened to it, the big 4 came, and everyone liked it. that gives the credit to the 4 for actually popularizing it, thus basicly CREATING it to the world! the indians were in America, but who are the FOUNDING FATHERS?!?!? God created earth, but humans are credited for Founding the countries... before i get too deep in politics/religion i'll stop myself, but my point is

YOU GET MY POINT!!!

PHEW, i'll go away now. :mad::mad::mad:
    edited March 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2111017 said:
    Thrash metal is American made. Metallica, like or not, released a studio album (Kill Em All) before Overkill's first demo.
    While you're here, where did black metal originate? I know Death Metal is American made as well.
    edited March 2009
    Overkill formed in 1980 and started writing Unleash the Beast (within) in 1981 which is the year Metallica formed.

EDIT:
    instantdeath999;2111074 said:
    While you're here, where did black metal originate? I know Death Metal is American made as well.
    Normally, Venom's Black Metal is credited with starting Black Metal, although it has little in common with modern Black Metal.
    edited March 2009
    +points to back blows for pissin in someones cheerios
    edited March 2009
    instantdeath999;2111074 said:
    Thrash, black, and death metal were all straight up inspired by Venom. I have an original LP of Welcome to Hell that I paid a stupid amount of cash for to celebrate it, like possessing some kind of archaic artifact that ignited wars, spread pestilence and famine, and put a blanket of death over the beautiful fields of popular music.

That album pretty much sounds like Judas Priest style speed metal with really bad production and the first version of extreme vocals. If you say they are the first thrash, black, or death metal band I generally will nod and say the band deserve it, but each of the genres were not defined by Venom, only extreme metal itself was.

Black metal was pioneered in Switzerland and Sweden before Norway made their own brand of black metal and popularized the staple thematics.
    edited March 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2111081 said:
    +points to back blows for pissin in someones pizza
    fixed i had pizza for breakfast, watch back_blows correct me on that one too. "Pizza technicly cant be breakfast, it's lunch."----just watch and wait, i swear he'll/she'll do it!
    edited March 2009
    back_blows;2111079 said:
    Overkill formed in 1980 and started writing Unleash the Beast (within) in 1981 which is the year Metallica formed.
    But it was not released until 1983 is my point. All of those bands played the local area, Metallica and Slayer managed to put out the first studio albums. Also I believe Exodus was actually formed before Overkill. That entire area was full of local speed metal bands and had the first shows where kids were coming out and "thrashing" around. I know Overkill has claimed to have recorded the first thrash song but their demo came out 3 years later.

Its all really moot as the entire area collectively fed off each other to make thrash metal what it is.
    edited March 2009
    back_blows;2111079 said:

EDIT:

Normally, Venom's Black Metal is credited with starting Black Metal, although it has little in common with modern Black Metal.
    false, you said venom has little in common with black metal; in Spider-Man, venom is black. And is afraid of the sound of metal, therefore, in relative theory, Venom has much to do with both Black and Metal.
    edited March 2009
    DeadPhoenix223;2111137 said:
    fixed i had pizza for breakfast, watch back_blows correct me on that one too. "Pizza technicly cant be breakfast, it's lunch."----just watch and wait, i swear he'll/she'll do it!
    Nah, I won't correct you on that, but pizza isn't a really nourishing breakfast.
  • classicrockdudeclassicrockdude Headliner
    edited March 2009
    i hate them all.

Megadeth- Mettalica- Anthrax- Slayer
    edited March 2009
    back_blows;2111159 said:
    Nah, I won't correct you on that, but pizza isn't a really nourishing breakfast.
    okay, agreed, truece?
    edited March 2009
    DeadPhoenix223;2111154 said:
    false, you said venom has little in common with black metal; in Spider-Man, venom is black. And is afraid of the sound of metal, therefore, in relative theory, Venom has much to do with both Black and Metal.
    You know what, Im done posting in your dumb thread
    Also backblows is right and you are wrong ;p
    edited March 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2111150 said:
    But it was not released until 1983 is my point. All of those bands played the local area, Metallica and Slayer managed to put out the first studio albums. Also I believe Exodus was actually formed before Overkill. That entire area was full of local speed metal bands and had the first shows where kids were coming out and "thrashing" around. I know Overkill has claimed to have recorded the first thrash song but their demo came out 3 years later.

Its all really moot as the entire area collectively fed off each other to make thrash metal what it is.
    Bah, Metallica just fed off the *** of Exodus.
    edited March 2009
    classicrockdude;2111169 said:
    i hate them all.

Say's the "gangsta" ;)
    edited March 2009
    back_blows;2111176 said:
    Bah, Metallica just fed off the *** of Exodus.
    I believe James Hetfield had released Hit the Lights with an earlier band before Exodus made their demo, which would make it technically one of the first Thrash songs.
    edited March 2009
    instantdeath999;2111196 said:
    I believe James Hetfield had released Hit the Lights with an earlier band before Exodus made their demo, which would make it technically one of the first Thrash songs.
    Well Metal Blade made a thrash compilation album in the scene before any of the had made a studio album. That thing goes for tens of thousands of dollars. It had Hit the Lights on there.
    edited March 2009
    Bah. Stone Cold Crazy is the first thrash metal song.