Best thrash metal band

pbam2112pbam2112 Opening Act
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
i love metallica which is my favorite but wats yours?

Comments

• GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited March 2009
  • gmarshgmarsh Headliner
    edited March 2009
    metallica is the only one there i like so, yeah thats who I voted for.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Of those, Metallica. I love Slayer and Megadeth as well, but Metallica takes it.

I don't really have a number one favorite thrash band. Evile and Hyades are awesome. So is Exodus. Venom, too. It's rather hard to choose.
  • King_NuthinKing_Nuthin Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Death Angel probably. Of the big 4 Anthrax.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    I'm thinking Dark Angel.

Flotsam and Jetsam takes a close second, but is far too inconsistent.
    edited March 2009
    Ultimatum;2116701 said:
    I'm thinking Dark Angel.
    I don't know why but I had a really hard time taking them seriously and I think it had to do with the packaging of their albums and the "Featuring 263 ear splitting riffs" yadda yadda. There were some songs I really liked but sometimes I got the impression they were cramming riffs into songs just for the sake of cramming riffs into songs and getting a higher total on the sticker of the next album.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Megadeth, Anthrax, Flotsam and Jetsam. Metallica lost me after "Metallica", but I only really like Ride The Lightning (whole album)

and why did you only put the big 4?
    edited March 2009
    King_Nuthin;2116715 said:
    I don't know why but I had a really hard time taking them seriously and I think it had to do with the packaging of their albums and the "Featuring 263 ear splitting riffs" yadda yadda. There were some songs I really liked but sometimes I got the impression they were cramming riffs into songs just for the sake of cramming riffs into songs and getting a higher total on the sticker of the next album.
    They really don't though. I can't really think of a song that doesn't have a definitive structure and has riffing for the sake of riffing.
    edited March 2009
    Ultimatum;2116742 said:
    They really don't though. I can't really think of a song that doesn't have a definitive structure and has riffing for the sake of riffing.
    Well its been almost 20 years, I am pretty sure I have Time Does Not Heal on my bookshelf, perhaps time for a re-listen. But 9/10 times I relisten to stuff from that era I get sad inside.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited March 2009
    King_Nuthin;2116755 said:
    Well its been almost 20 years, I am pretty sure I have Time Does Not Heal on my bookshelf, perhaps time for a re-listen. But 9/10 times I relisten to stuff from that era I get sad inside.
    Because the way music shifted? Or because your puppy died?
  • tridentgum0tridentgum0 Uninteresting Poster
    edited March 2009
    Metallica, Slayer, Unearth, Warbringer, Evile, and The Haunted are the tightest thrash bands. Megadeth is overrated, highly.
    edited March 2009
    tridentgum0;2116772 said:
    Metallica, Slayer, Unearth, Warbringer, Evile, and The Haunted are the tightest thrash bands. Megadeth is overrated, highly.
    What is exactly is overrated with Megadeth? Who else is putting 5 guitar solos on a single track. They have some of the most creative and melodic riffs in thrash, and easily the most technical compared to the big 4.
    edited March 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2116763 said:
    Because the way music shifted? Or because your puppy died?
    Well probably because thrash was filling a void for me when hardcore shriveled up and the bands that stuck it out crossed over. A lot of stuff that felt fresh at the time now feels very stale.
    edited March 2009
    tridentgum0;2116772 said:
    Unearth and The Haunted are not Thrash at all.
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    gmarsh;2116547 said:
    metallica is the only one there i like so, yeah thats who I voted for.
    QFT.

Testament is pretty ****in' sweet, though.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Kreator.
    Of those listed Megadeth=Slayer>Metallica>>>Anthrax.
    edited March 2009
    Ultimatum;2116824 said:
    Unearth and The Haunted are not Thrash at all.

Maybe not The Haunted, but Unearth? They are commonly referred to as metalcore, no way are they metalcore. Metalcore consists of about half clean vocals, Unearth was about 10-20% clean. Thrash, i don't see them as anything else. Especially on The March.
    edited March 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2116792 said:
    What is exactly is overrated with Megadeth? Who else is putting 5 guitar solos on a single track. They have some of the most creative and melodic riffs in thrash, and easily the most technical compared to the big 4.
    The vocals and drumwork. Mustaine should stick to guitar, the drumwork to me all has the same rythym (bass heavy, hi-hat, snare beats)
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    tridentgum0;2120966 said:
    Maybe not The Haunted, but Unearth? They are commonly referred to as metalcore, no way are they metalcore. Metalcore consists of about half clean vocals, Unearth was about 10-20% clean. Thrash, i don't see them as anything else. Especially on The March.
    frequency of clean/harsh vocals has nothing to do with whether a band is metalcore or not.

i'm not familiar with much current metalcore, but in the earlier days clean vocals were very rare.
    edited March 2009
    tridentgum0;2120977 said:
    The vocals and drumwork. Mustaine should stick to guitar, the drumwork to me all has the same rythym (bass heavy, hi-hat, snare beats)
    I agree the vocals are an acquired taste but the drumwork is above standard affair for thrash. Megadeth was the first big 4 thrash band to have a jazz drummer do polyrhythmic drumwork on the tracks. I find that Megadeth is usually underrated to most American metalheads.
    edited March 2009
    afterstasis;2120995 said:
    frequency of clean/harsh vocals has nothing to do with whether a band is metalcore or not.
    Yeah, there are quite a few true metalcore bands who do not ever use clean vocals.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    At the sake of losing some "street cred", Metallica is probably my favorite.

Others would be Megadeth, Testament, Slayer, Sepultra, Annihilator, and Flotsam and Jetsam
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    vocals are actually what turns me off of most thrash bands (all of the big four included).

my favorite is probably kreator.
  • Hastyl3Hastyl3 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    ??? Are you honestly saying this? You put SLAYER in there. SLAYER. Have you never heard Lars Ulrich's fills? All of them are the same on each album(or recycled on each album). Dave Lombardo lives by the cliche thrash drum beat.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Thrash!? Don't Mind If I Do

For something old, Sodom does it for me. For something new, Skeletonwitch. I'm out on borrowed or blue, though.

As for the big 4, Megadeth by far. They've just got some great thrash energy going on combined with some pretty catchy riffs. For me, Megadeth>>>Slayer>Anthrax>>>Metallica
  • Toked Up CowToked Up Cow Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    James is a boring singer, Lars is a boring drummer.

Mustaine has a much more original voice and Gar/Nick are insane.
  • ArmsAreLoudArmsAreLoud Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Metallica. Souls of Black has really grown on me, though, so I may need to try out some more Testament.

@Toked: So a thrash singer who can actually sing quite well is "boring"?
  • Toked Up CowToked Up Cow Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    ArmsAreLoud;2121791 said:
    Metallica. Souls of Black has really grown on me, though, so I may need to try out some more Testament.

@Toked: So a thrash singer who can actually sing quite well is "boring"?

I find him to be very monotone. Just my opinion though.