Great Music Experiences

HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
This is a thread for awesome things you hear with music, be it the perfect scenario, the best transition, greatest interaction of sounds, etc...

Today, at my school, I decided to walk by a stream at lunch time. Good natural sounds were abundant, and I eventually decided to put my iPod on to add to the experience. I thought that "Close To The Edge" by Yes would be great, and it turned out much better. I had ear buds on that cancel out sound pretty well so long as music's playing. As "Close To The Edge" faded in with its natural sounds, it slowly replaced the ones around me that I could still hear when the song still hadn't started. It fit together perfectly and the music itself went great with the scene, as previously anticipated.

Comments

• WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited March 2009
    That's pretty epic. I've never really had experiences like that, unfortunately. However, for lots of songs, whenever I listen to them, I make little movies in my head about what they would fit to. For example, whenever I heard "The Ides of March" by Iron Maiden, I always think about a football team in the tunnel getting pumped for a game. I think it would fit great in a film like Friday Night Lights.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    the first thing that comes to mind was 3 or 4 years ago when i was at my friend bridget's 18th birthday party and unknowingly smoked some pot laced with opium...
    having never done anything heavier than weed or alcohol i didn't quite realize what was going on, but when she put on sonic youth's "evol" i immediately laid down in the grass and stared at the stars with such intensity that i didn't realize i was drooling until someone came along to check on me.

it's really difficult to describe what i was thinking or feeling, but it was undeniably awesome and truly intense.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
    Agalloch. The White. Forest. Night. Cold Breeze. Perfection.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited March 2009
    Stoned at school as a freshman, listening to Hendrix, and the songs made sense.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited March 2009
    afterstasis;2122070 said:
    the first thing that comes to mind was 3 or 4 years ago when i was at my friend bridget's 18th birthday party and unknowingly smoked some pot laced with opium...
    having never done anything heavier than weed or alcohol i didn't quite realize what was going on, but when she put on sonic youth's "evol" i immediately laid down in the grass and stared at the stars with such intensity that i didn't realize i was drooling until someone came along to check on me.

it's really difficult to describe what i was thinking or feeling, but it was undeniably awesome and truly intense.
    I get experiences like that and I've never touched anything other than alcohol in my life.

I guess it's a side-effect of all the stoner music I listen to.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    The only thing to come to mind are a few situations in high school involving ****ty weather and Cradle of Filth, I was never a huge fan of the band, but pouring rain and strong winds make their music infinitely better.
  • Alright_ComputerAlright_Computer Butt Neck
    edited March 2009
    This isn't an epiphany or anything, but I remember walking around the neighborhood when I was younger listening to various kinds of music, mostly stuff like Wilco and Bob Dylan. It was a great music experience despite not being life-changing or anything.
  • ShiningIdealShiningIdeal Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    As a pretty interesting one, I got to work a concert a month or two ago as lighting designer and got to meet a contemporary of Buddy Holly and Richie Valens and the Big Bopper, chatting with him for a few moments kind of stroked my geek out meter a little. Listening to him still performing now too was really interesting. Pleasant.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited March 2009
    When I was a sophomore in high school, I blindly bought Depeche Mode's Violator over one weekend because I had heard so many great things about the album. Since my bus ride to school was quite long, I always listened to music on the way. Deciding to save Violator for the Monday drive to school, I waited til then to listen to it. I'm really glad I did.

I can still recall delicately placing the Violator CD into my CD player, putting headphones on, pressing the play button, and listening to the first song, World In My Eyes. I was absolutely dumbfounded by how fresh, sensual, and atmospheric the song was; it made me a DM fan for life. I also remember really wanting school to end (moreso than usual) on that particular day so I could listen to the rest of the album on the drive home.
  • ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    Listening to Love Reign O'er Me as a I walked down a street in the rain. That is just epic.
  • kwami42kwami42 Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    I was listening to "What Do You Go Home To?" by Explosions in the Sky one winter evening on the way home from class. The song ends on a trio of slow, deep piano notes played in succession. As I was walking along a row of streetlights, those last notes started to play, and right as the final note hit, the light I was walking next to went out. It kinda freaked me out.

Also, listening to Scott Walker's The Drift with the lights out by yourself is sure to give you some sort of experience. I can't guarantee it'll be a good one.
  • UltimatumUltimatum Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Loading up Envy for the first time in my car, along with Mogwai, and just letting the sound envelop the entire vehicle.

So awesome.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I used to get really, really loaded and walk home belting out Nick Cave's most depressing songs, those were the times.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    About 10 years ago, dropping a bunch of acid with some friends and listening to Jaz Coleman's Symphonic Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd's back to back. That was awesome. I somehow ended up in my high school prom dress and got it covered in modelling clay.