Music Videos

ShiningIdealShiningIdeal Rising Star
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
I'm very curious about other's perceptions of music videos. I've got three shoots coming up over the next two months - and I realize that my big inspirations are largely marginalized things. The video's I've shot in the past (I think these will bring me up to 37? Something like that) were always either low budget affairs or strictly detailed by the artists. These I actually get to enjoy directing. So this seems like a great place for market research.

What are some of the most definitive music videos you've seen, either as examples of the medium in total or as examples of great fits for a song. Videos you watched even if you didn't like the song.

Do you prefer videos that are simplistic? Do you prefer videos that tell a story? Do you prefer videos that are random surrealist trips through some director's mindspace? Do you only like videos that are essentially live shoots or do you want there to be something more going on?

Comments

• Insane3Insane3 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2123558 said:
    Guys on stage, a warehouse, somewhere nondescript playing their song. Seriously. I dont like music videos that define the song with silly gimmicks.
    I hate those videos lol. There's no point to see the band perform their song when you can see it live.

I prefer bizarre ones, yet understandble. I like Karma Police (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LeLAELIxKY), for example. I like the image. But not videos like MGMT's The Youth(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EURZuzHyWb0). That's too bizarre.
  • zeldazeppelinzeldazeppelin Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    supernova1324;2123519 said:
    I like videos that tell stories and also have humor involved if it matches the mood of the song. The perfect example of a trippy music vidoe is Land of Confusion. Makes no sense yet it is awesome.
    This
  • RoadHogRoadHog Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    You mean bands still make music videos?? Everytime i put my TV on MTV or MTV2 i get all these lame showes that has nothing to do with music. I watch VH1 classic quiet a bit, at least they do play music. Anyway to answer your question....i also like videos that tell stories but my favorites are the ones they do live in concert.
  • RunesmithRunesmith Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I like memorable videos. Whether it's a live performance, a complex storyline set to music, or a dadaist fantasy, I just want to feel like I can remember the entire video's content after I watch it.

The golden standard by which all music videos should be judged: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW86DTpWWpM
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    videos are a total afterthought for me, but there are definitely those that stick out...
    they're typically surreal and emotionally/mentally jarring.
  • ShiningIdealShiningIdeal Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for the responses so far guys. Really helpful (if not quite consensus building). The videos and song names for inspirational thoughts are particularly useful.

I was a little sad to not see a Spike Jonze video mentioned yet though.
  • LolicatLolicat Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Onslaught_fei;2123558 said:
    Guys on stage, a warehouse, somewhere nondescript playing their song. Seriously. I dont like music videos that define the song with silly gimmicks.
    I'd say this, but an artistic music video that is an accompaniment to the song would be interesting, rather than just an advertising gimmick.

I do sort of like to just see the band arsing about though, like the Bull in the Heather video.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I'm not a huge fan of music videos. However, sometimes they can be rather awesome, be it for great camera work, intricate storytelling, or abstractions. Some of my favorites are Tool's "Schism", Sleep's "Dragonaut", and Metallica's "One".
    edited March 2009
    One terrifies me and makes me feel sick, the video works well as an anti-war song, it'd be nice if the band actually believed in that.
  • WhiffleBallTonyWhiffleBallTony Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2133622 said:
    One terrifies me and makes me feel sick
    I'm assuming in a good way.
  • ArmsAreLoudArmsAreLoud Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    To be quite honest, the only music video that I really enjoyed watching was the one for Weird Al's I'll Sue Ya, and it's doubtful that helps you much. I guess I enjoy videos with fitting humor?
    edited March 2009
    WhiffleBallTony;2133631 said:
    I'm assuming in a good way.
    I don't know that it's a good way, other than it makes me not liek war more than my usual hippie self.
  • JerryBrudosJerryBrudos Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    I've seen very few music videos but "One" is the only one I'd consider effective. Generally I hate music videos, but a band playing live is generally the most tolerable.
  • ShiningIdealShiningIdeal Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    ArmsAreLoud;2133632 said:
    To be quite honest, the only music video that I really enjoyed watching was the one for Weird Al's I'll Sue Ya, and it's doubtful that helps you much. I guess I enjoy videos with fitting humor?
    Actually one of the groups I'm shooting for is a 'humorous' band though they are looking to move more mainstream in time the song choice is still decidedly in the camp category. So - may actually be decent (I'll check it out in a few).
  • supernova1324supernova1324 Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2133622 said:
    One terrifies me and makes me feel sick, the video works well as an anti-war song, it'd be nice if the band actually believed in that.
    Now that you mention it, it's funny that they make an anti war song even though Hetfield gave the government permission to use Metallica's songs to torture prrsioners at Guantanamo...
  • Adsee0Adsee0 Unsigned
    edited March 2009
    Personally, I prefer music videos that help me get a view of the artists feelings or personality and show the song's topic. For example, the video for "closer" by Nine Inch Nails is a good example. It gives viewers an understanding on Trent's being and has the same chilling feeling you would get from the track itself.
  • trench762trench762 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Either humorous or visually artistic videos for me, I also hate videos of a band playing their song, unless it's like in iceland on top of a mountain with stuff going on other than just the band, if your gonna do a video it should be more than what can be done with just the song alone. I really like most of mastadon's videos although they aren't really one of my favorite bands.
    edited March 2009
    supernova1324;2134026 said:
    Now that you mention it, it's funny that they make an anti war song even though Hetfield gave the government permission to use Metallica's songs to torture prrsioners at Guantanamo...
    They made a series of anti-war songs, as far as I remember. Was For Whom the Bell Tolls not anti-war as well? Really, German thrash and speed metal bands have a much better track record for pacifism.
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    Most effective and powerful videos I've seen:

Johnny Cash -- Hurt <--hands down, best video evarrrrr
    Metallica -- One
    U2 -- One. The Berlin version.
    Tool -- any. Nobody does "creepy" like Tool's video directors. Disturbing; stuff of nightmares.
    Pearl Jam -- Jeremy
    Nirvana -- Smells Like Teen Spirit
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2140484 said:
    They made a series of anti-war songs, as far as I remember. Was For Whom the Bell Tolls not anti-war as well? Really, German thrash and speed metal bands have a much better track record for pacifism.
    There's also Disposable Heroes, Jump in the Fire, and No Remorse. Hippies get old and swing to the right, it happens. (very vague definition of hippy here)
  • onidragononidragon Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I like music videos that seem like a movie, that tell a story(Everlong, Paranoid Android), or videos that show the grit of a band(Smells like Teen Spirit, Mountain Song) I don't really like videos that are just a bunch of cobbled images thrown together in a coherent video, although there are exceptions(Closer).
    edited March 2009
    MronoC;2140668 said:
    There's also Disposable Heroes, Jump in the Fire, and No Remorse. Hippies get old and swing to the right, it happens. (very vague definition of hippy here)
    I don't like the generalisation here, my Conservative friends have often claimed this that 'everyone becomes more right wing' as they get older, and although there are many examples, there are just as many examples to 'prove' it wrong, the problem being that no-one is shocked by a lack of change.
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2142175 said:
    I don't like the generalisation here, my Conservative friends have often claimed this that 'everyone becomes more right wing' as they get older, and although there are many examples, there are just as many examples to 'prove' it wrong, the problem being that no-one is shocked by a lack of change.
    Yeah. My parents break the mold: Both were hippies, and my mother is a liberal, although my dad's conservative, he almost always votes democrat or independent.
  • DasKonstructDasKonstruct Opening Act
    edited March 2009
    I find that videos that provide a visual landscape to the music work the most effectively. It all really depends on the genre. If you have funny upbeat bands its not gonna do much good to go about with a surreal visual experience.

In order to properly direct this video you have to know who your band's target audience is. Second you need to know what is the marketability of your client's band, what elements draws in their crowd. Don't let the band tell you, talk to the fans at their shows. Ask them what they really like about the band. If its the band's image that should be the focal point, if its the lyrics then focus on telling a story, if its the sound they have, focus on visuals to provide support to the music. Third decide on if you want to reinforce the band's fan base or attempt to draw in a different audience, confer with the client to see what they want out of this video. If their manager can't explain that then they don't really have a clue of what they want and you should put on the protective gear cause its gonna be a bumpy project. Hope this helps :D
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    MronoC;2140668 said:
    Did you just reference Sarah Silverman?
    edited March 2009
    Soror_YZBL;2148123 said:
    Oh god, if so, burn him. Silverman is awful.
  • MronoCMronoC Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Lolicat;2142175 said:
    I don't mean everyone swings to the right (my 80 something grandfather is a democrat and a member of PFLAG), I'm just saying it's common, especially when people start making money.
    Soror_YZBL;2148123 said:
    maybe, kinda, subconsiously, unintentionally
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    onidragon;2158017 said:
    Oh god, if so, burn him. Silverman is awful.
    blasphemy. She is my idol.