Your opinion on the new Alice in Chains

BubBub Generic Person
edited March 2009 in History of Rock
As many of you may know good ol' Layne Staley passed away back in '02 and I was wondering what you guys think of Alice's new singer William DuVall. Is he anywhere near as good as Layne or do you think Alice would be better off having Jerry Cantrell on vocals? Please post!

Comments

• ClassicRockFanatic23ClassicRockFanatic23 Rising Star
    edited March 2009
    I don not know how he sounds. Anyone have a video of him singing Alice in Chains?
  • schmeankmanschmeankman Headliner
    edited March 2009
    Bub;2131243 said:
    [B]Alice would be better off having Jerry Cantrell on vocals[/B]
    Yes, I do.
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I'm reserving judgement until I hear it.
  • back_blowsback_blows Washed Up
    edited March 2009
    I actually enjoy Jerry Cantrell's vocals, but I'll wait to hear how DuVall sounds.
  • Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited March 2009
    AxlVanHagar;2131484 said:
    I'm reserving judgement until I hear it.
    same, i haven't gotten around to checking this out.
  • Jerome85Jerome85 Banned
    edited March 2009
    I've heard the new singer. he does an alright version of nutshell. nowhere near layne but it isn't horrible by any means. As much as I love AIC I think it's a bad move to release another album without layne. With that said I'm going to see how the new AIC sounds soon at Rock on the Range.

rip layne
  • SonicRocker15XSonicRocker15X Headliner
    edited March 2009
    AIC just did something I absolutely hate...
    When a band member passes away... and the band gets a new one...
    I just hate that.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited March 2009
    SonicRocker15X;2134074 said:
    AIC just did something I absolutely hate...
    When a band member passes away... and the band gets a new one...
    I just hate that.
    Yeah, because a band shouldn't try to work on new material, right?
  • My name is FezMy name is Fez Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    Gowienczyk;2134125 said:
    Yeah, because a band shouldn't try to work on new material, right?
    QFT.

I think it depends on the band, though. Layne Staley is pretty hard to replace. It'd be like Nirvana trying to replace Kurt (well, almost like that anyway). But then there are bands like AC/DC and the like.

As far as new AiC goes, I haven't listened to 'em yet and I don't have very high hopes. Although I will give them an honest listen in due time.
  • trench762trench762 Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I saw them live when he first joined them, was an awesome show and jerry still does alot of the vocals as well. Of course it was hard to make out william with all the fans singing along to EVERY song they played, I've never been at a show where so many people knew every word to every song. But it was a great show, can anyone really take layne's place? No, but I do think that AiC w/o Layne is still better than most of the artists of the past decade. Have yet to hear any of there new stuff but I am looking forward to it. People need to stop giving a band crap for trying to continue after a member passes, if jerry and layne were gone and they were trying to pull it off it would be completely different, but jerry's guitar tone and signature riffs are just as important to the music as layne's voice was. And if you watch the AiC unplugged, you'll see layne was so wasted throughout half the show jerry had to pick up the slack anyway and did an amazing job. William is a good singer and deserves to be given a chance by all AiC fans.
  • onidragononidragon Road Warrior
    edited March 2009
    I'll wait till I hear something from DuVall.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited March 2009
    I miss Layne. DuVall's ok though.